main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Alexander Adams narrated Terry Brooks' Phantom Menace and I really liked his voice - now my head hurts trying to recall other narrators --- [face_thinking]

EAD: I poked around on ebay and found Anthony Heald.
    EAAD: Ahah, you got him!
    EAAAD: Now I'm creaking open the doors to memory to recall the audio version VA of the Jedi Apprentice YA books and 4 of the Jedi Quest books ... yes, I had all of them ... :) but no longer ... :(

Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  2. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    I got rid of my Jedi Apprentice books and now my kids are growing up I’m really annoyed at myself. Particularly when I saw how much it would be to replace them.

devilinthedetails and pronker like this.
  3. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    HERE BE SPOILERS FOR INTO THE DARK, PROCEED AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Jedi Order question for my fanfic regarding what would happen to a Padawan during the Clone Wars (approx. time line 19 - 20 BBY) if they lost their master; however, the Padawan said they were ready to take the trials. Would they a) still need to be assigned a new master first before taking the trials, or b) could they just take the trials, and if they fail, then need to be assigned a new master or c) something else would happen to them.

Was reading an interview by Megan duBois in Forbes with Claudia Gray about her upcoming High Republic book Into the Dark and read the below. Cannot wait to get my hands on that book :cool:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/megand...-high-republic-into-the-dark/?sh=36008f38499d

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  4. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 14, 2017
    It has been many years since I've last posted here. I feel kind of "prodigal son-ish," if you get my drift. I've taken my writing more seriously, but I know I still lack a great deal of skill... I need advice...

I'm asking someone to read chapter 9 of my third book in the Sith Politics series.

I want to know what you think about it, what is too clunky, what needs to go, and why. Or why it's fine the way it is and why, or maybe it can stay but change this, that, or the other about it.

The chapter is 34 word processor pages, 15,553 words long. I consider it to be a transitional chapter of several plot points. That is that this chapter sets up the transition of a few subplot elements of the story. However, there is also a bit of flash back history going on in this chapter.

Are there any willing to help me understand what can stay and what needs to go, and why? Or why it's fine the way it is, and why?

pronker likes this.
  5. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017

You can create a situation where the padawan, thinking that he/she was ready, really wasn't and had to be assigned to a new master. The padawan was used to the teaching methods of a previous master, but now must adjust to the philosophies and teaching methods of a new master. This padawan must overcome prejudices and preconceptions. The padawan and the new master will bump heads as the padawan reconciles the teachings of the previous master to the teachings of the new master.

A lot of potential for tension and conflict between padawan and new master. The padawan can, in the long run, realize that despite the difference of approach to philosophies of the old and new masters, that in reality, the teachings of the two masters reached the same conclusion, and that would awaken the padawan's potential to be ready for the final trials, or something like that...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
    Gamiel and ZV-83 like this.
  6. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    That would be a great idea for a story, thank you! I might take that path with the character; however, it is at the end of my fanfic when the Master dies, that would mean there would need to be a part 2 (this fanfic is a lot more work than I thought, not sure I can do a part 2 lol :) )

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  7. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Good luck, and have a lot of fun!

8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Welcome back! Maybe requesting a Beta reader would be helpful? There is this thread for that.

pronker likes this.
  9. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    Even if only asking about one chapter, not the whole book?

10. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    pronker likes this.
  11. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Looking for a planet to say a Senator is from. Is there any reason why the planet Tepasi would not have a Senator during the time of the Republic? I am guessing it does since the affiliation shows Galactic Republic.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Tepasi/Legends

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I would say that Tepasi is good.

ZV-83 likes this.
  13. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Thank you! I wish Bonadan could have had a senator, but it is in the CSA so I assume no senators given the CSA governs it, Bonadan just has an embassy on Coruscant. Now to find a few more, but won't post them all here ;)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    pronker likes this.
  14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Bonadan could have an senator-in-exile (if it was formely a Republic world) who speaks for the Bonadans who stayed with the Republic (if we are talking CW era)

pronker, ZV-83 and Bel505 like this.
  15. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Yes, CW era fanfic. My understanding was that Bonadan was with the Republic and never taken by the CIS, so if this is the case then during the CW era and early Empire, they could have a senator. That is awesome and helps me out a lot, thank you!

pronker likes this.
  16. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    Not an issue, except if you do have a Senator from Tepasi, better sure they have the name Tagge. I did research on Tepasi for one of my epic fan fiction stories. Anyone in power on Tepasi would be connected to the House of Tagge.

pronker, ZV-83 and Gamiel like this.
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Senator[not a Tagge]: I was the former Senator´s [a Tagge] father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate. And that's how I got this position.

:p

Kit', pronker, ZV-83 and 1 other person like this.
  18. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I don't post here that often, but I'm in a dilemma.

One of my last remaining epic fan fics is still in need of an ending, and I'm almost there. But it has very few reviewers and I'm not sure if it's worth it to finally end it just for the sake of ending it. The other side of the problem is that it is written during the ST about a year after TLJ. It explores Rey's hesitation about being the only Jedi left to teach further Jedi potentials. I started writing it almost immediately after TLJ came out, so obviously it's before we know events of ROS that have taken place. On a side note, I correctly chose the future color of Rey's new lightsaber. You can't my imagine my elation when she turned it on at the end.

I can only speculate that the lack of readers have to do with the lackluster reaction to TLJ. And now the ending I'm approaching has coincided with the ending of ROS. I guess my question is, at what point does an AU fic follow canon enough for it not to be confising? I know it would have a different ending than ROS, with an omission of Rey's true heritage. Guess I'm still trying to find that balance.

Thoughts?

pronker and ZV-83 like this.
  19. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    For Tepasi, I would assume like Kuat the senator is just selected by the ruling family (Tagge).

For Bonadan though, I am not really sure how the corporate sector works government wise prior to the Empire. I don't see any senators for the Corporate Sector worlds. Only three planets have a reference to the Galactic Republic in wookieepedia: Bonadan, Mall'ordian, and Urdur, and none of the entries suggest a senator.

Reviewing https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Corporate_Sector_Authority

Of course other worlds else where in the galaxy that show to be aligned to the Republic such as Lantillies, Roche, Azure, Velmore, Myrkr, Contruum, Corsin etc... also don't have reference to a senator, but they are not part of the corpsec so I think it is just a corpsec thing.

Good question, it is a personal call. I believe fanfic should be fun to write :) Writing is hard enough as it is (as I find out every day...). Just read what the pros say on Twitter (I have no idea how they put out a sw book in 45 - 60 days, I would break down every day with that pressure...).

I'd lean towards trying to stick as close as possible to canon so new readers can pick up wherever and be like, oh, I remember that from canon, so this is what happens next with this or that character if they did this instead of that etc...

pronker and madman007 like this.
  20. lonewriter

lonewriter Jedi Master

Jun 8, 2010
    I am about to start a new SW fanfic that takes place during The Mandalorian but it its about Luke meeting Ashoka for the first time to ask his help to find Thrawn but I am trying to decide how many characters to include. I know I want force ghost Anakin to see Ashoka again at Padme's grave but I don't want to use all the past characters. Is there a limit you all set?

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think that if the planet is part of the Republic it has a senatorial representation in the senate, my fanon theory for how the Trade Federation have a place in the senates is by owning/controlling some planets. And Most of the Republic planets don’t have any mentioned senator mostly because that kind of things only come in if it’s important to the plot, or some short namedropping is needed. Most of the Republic’s worlds are not even named, I mean the Lahara sector have 245 settled worlds, less then 10 of them are named (something I’m working to fix with my fanon post regarding that sector #shamelessselfpromotion).

While I’m at it so would I like to mention that I have this other fan theory that (I’m ignoring the canon GFFA sector maps here) all those seats we see in the Republic's senate chamber, they don't represent planets; they represent political sectors that are part of the Republic. So Palpatine may be the senator from Naboo, but he is also part of the representation of the sector Naboo belongs to.

22. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The Essential Atlas went into Senate composition in some detail. Technically most Senate seats represent a Sector, not a single planet, with the exception of politically important Core Worlds (like Alderaan) that got grandfathered in the very early days of the Republic. However, because the galactic population is distributed so unequally it is entirely possible in many sectors for a single planet to be able to outvote every other inhabited planet in the sector. For example, a world with a population of 10 billion can outvote thousands of worlds with a population of 1 million. As a result many Senators who nominally represent whole sectors ultimately only worry about the affairs of a single planet, because the other planets in the sector are voiceless. This is rather like gerrymandering, only with star systems instead of neighborhoods.

ZV-83 and pronker like this.
  23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    This is reminiscent of why the US has an electoral college.

PlanetSmasher, Tarsier and ZV-83 like this.
  24. PlanetSmasher

Mar 14, 2017
    1) I tried to PM you, but I kept getting error messages. Obviously, I need a tutorial. I was doing it wrong. Needless to say, that means I wouldn't be able to PM the sock.

2) What is "the sock?"

3) That Beta Reader sight you linked to, seems to be lacking in activity. The last time they posted was July of last year, and the times before that was in 2018. So far, I've gotten no replies.

Should I just post it as a story and see how people respond to it?

But what I really need guidance on is, a) Is it clunky, what needs to go, and why? Or, b) is it fine the way it is and why it's fine as is? Or, c) Maybe it can stay the way it is, but change this, that, or the other about it (more detail, less detail, too confusing, etc).

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  25. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    I wouldn't worry about the numbers you include rather why you are including them. Are a lot of the appearances just for quick one liners, and it is a short story, then might want to consider limiting how many you have
    I have never been a beta reader before, maybe I can help? DM me what you are expecting and time lines for reading etc... assume I know nothing (because I do lol).

pronker likes this.