main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Decent but not better. Maybe they shouldn’t of hyped themselves too much at the start. Looks more like Luuke than Luke.

RetropME and JoJo90 like this.
  2. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    That Corridor Crew version represents the worst of both worlds for me. It doesn't look enough like Mark, so it feels like a recast, but at the same time, it still has the uncanny valley effect of a CGI character. So it's like a CGI version of the wrong actor.
    I'll give them points for making him less stiff and sharpening the image quality. It's definitely a respectable effort considering that they're working with a much lower budget than Disney has, but for my eyes, it doesn't work. The original wasn't great, but at least it looked like a CGI version of the right actor.

RetropME and JoJo90 like this.
  3. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Neither one looks enough like Hamill. Both versions are close enough to make you do a double take, but once you focus your gaze, you can see neither one is really that close. That said, the Corridor Crew version is cartoonish and creepy. It looks like someone had plastic surgery to look like Luke, but was going off memory of what Luke looked like instead of a picture. The Disney version looks like they found someone close enough to Hamill to re-cast the role of Luke, and then the person got stage freight and froze up.

4. Blueandwhite

Blueandwhite Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 25, 2005
    That Corridor Crew video doesn't give me much faith in the idea of doing more episodes with a CGI Luke. If Luke Skywalker is going to be a reoccurring character in the Mandalorian or if he ends up having his own spinoff, wasting a small fortune to try to CGI Mark Hamill into the role seems like a pretty poor waste of resources. I really like that Mark reprised his role as Luke for the season finale but if Luke is going to be a focal point in the future it's probably better to simply recast him. I honestly find looking at a CGI face more distracting than looking at a recast actor as it looks incredibly unnatural. I can forgive it for a short cameo but I don't think it would work for an extended period of time.

RetropME, DannyD and JoJo90 like this.
  5. JoJo90

JoJo90 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2021
    I've never minded recasting either. I think the CGI resurrection thing is a little gimmicky. There have been some amazing examples of cgi faces though, like samuel L Jackson in Captian Marvel, or Kurt Russell in guardians of the galaxy. Those were both just de-aging though. The absolute best example of a full-on CGI resurrection is deckards wife in blade runner 2049. It's photoreal.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    DannyD likes this.
  6. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Maybe they can just get Hamill on set for an extended time for a Luke storyline or series, and do the same de-aging technique like they did in the Marvel movies? I thought it looked good, but if you are going to do extended scenes, that would be easier.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    JoJo90 likes this.
  7. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    it all comes down to money. How much would Disney put in to pay for a de-age? I am sure its not cheap to do. The more they need to do the more money is thrown on screen.

8. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Marvel have done de-aging brilliantly with Michael Douglas and Samuel L. Jackson, even Tron Legacy managed to do it up to a good standard with Jeff Bridges and Bruce Boxleiter and that was a few years back.

JoJo90 likes this.
  9. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    [​IMG]

Ever since I saw the above, I dismiss all complaints about CGI Luke in the Mandalorian :p

TadoFett, darkspine10, 2Cleva and 4 others like this.
  10. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    But there is a difference between doing so for a movie and for multiple episodes over multiple years for a TV show. The resources would probably be astronomical. And yes, the technology is there to do so, but are the powers that be willing to dump that much dough into doing so over an extended period of time?

11. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Holiday Special Luke wasn’t Luke, that’s why. It was Luuke.

12. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    That's the $1million question.

I'm not sure how you could have a Luke centric series and not have Leia, Han and Lando appear. That would sky rocket the production costs beyond anything any TV series has seen. My own feeling is LFL will wait and wait and then recast Luke and Leia, it would allow Ehrenreich and Glover the opportunity to reprise their roles.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  13. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    You could do a show without Leia and Han. they won't always be stuck together constantly. so you could do a solo Luke series.

But again the money is the big question. every moment Luke is on screen is money being thrown on screen. and its still a fairly tricky effect to make perfect.

14. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    There's a big difference between having Leia and Han appear and having them appear regularly, you can't just ignore them.

RetropME likes this.
  15. JoJo90

JoJo90 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 18, 2021
    I saw a deepfake of millie bobby brown as leia. I liked it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    TadoFett likes this.
  16. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    I think you could pretty easily do a Rogue One style Leia scene or have Harrison Ford deepfaked onto another actor. I would want a Luke series focusing on him searching for Jedi relics and training. Our chance for a New Republic/New Jedi Order series/trilogy focusing on the OT3 is gone at this point, I'd settle for Luke's further Force adventures if you will.

TadoFett likes this.
  17. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Where did I say a series focusing on Luke, Leia and Han? I said appearing, that could mean something similar to Luke's cameo in TM or something a little more substantial such as being central to a single episode. The Rogue One Tarkin and Leia shots were very complicated, especially Tarkin as it involved a much greater amount of the character speaking. They were neither cheap too, they had to use a substitute Guy Henry's voice for Peter Cushing's. We know from dialogue that Lando accompanies Luke in his search, at a time when he's teaching Leia is coming to an end, she must've accompanied Luke on missions as Jedi and Padawan have done previously.

And as I said I cannot see anything happening for a while, leaving recasting Luke the only realistic option.

Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  18. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Honestly?

I'd just settle for a 3D animated series at this point like TCW or Rebels.

They can't do special effects Luke beyond limited screen time.

...Though I feel like I'm probably the only one here that would settle for a 3D animated Luke Skywalker series and be content with that. [face_laugh]

19. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I think it's evident that a TV show cannot - yet - really afford the kind of CGI necessary to make fans happy with the actual facial appearance of important characters.

Except Max Headroom.

20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I would rather have Hamill's face in any reasonable cgi than a recast.....

Darth Smurf and TadoFett like this.
  21. mtt02263

Oct 29, 2020
    I wasn't implying that you were asking for that, sorry. I meant that I would be happy with a Luke central series even if Han and Leia were essentially cameos only since it would be borderline impossible to have the OT3 together for any real length of time in anything going forward. I think fans would be more open to a Luke recast than Han or Leia since Sebastian Stan looks very similar to a young Mark and Mark has already given his approval.

TadoFett and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  22. Darth Chuck Norris

Sep 13, 2014
    Personally, I think if you're recasting Luke, then you need to recast Han and Leia, even if they're only appearing in cameos. I think having a recast Luke, then to CGI Han and Leia, would end up being a distraction to the scenes and episodes they appear in.

Bor Mullet, Django Fett and Sarge like this.
  23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes.
    Emphatically, yes.

TadoFett likes this.
  24. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Agreed. I’m hoping for the OT3 to eventually be recast for post-ROTJ adventures. Might just have to wait a while, until the older fans who are highly resistant to it are outnumbered by younger fans who are more OK with it.

TadoFett and Darth Chuck Norris like this.
  25. mtt02263

Oct 29, 2020
    I could see Billie Lourd or Millie Bobby Brown as a Leia recast, especially MBB in a couple years. Sebastian Stan would obviously work, I think Han is the tough one to recast. Solo obviously didn't go over well and it's just so hard to replicate Harrison Ford's charisma and attitude as Han. If recasting got us a series with Leia working in the New Republic and Luke exploring the galaxy and training new Jedi, I'm all for it.

TadoFett likes this.