main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian 2.08 - Chapter 16 (Season Finale!!) - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Dec 17, 2020.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Jan 1, 2021.
  1. 10

65.2%
  2. 9

18.9%
  3. 8

9.0%
  4. 7

2.6%
  5. 6

2.1%
  6. 5

0.9%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

1.3%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Me not seeing his face during the fight really didn’t make a difference for me

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Okay, so I just saw the last two episodes of The Mandalorian season 2.

Honestly? I... actually quite liked it a lot. People were complaining about the "fan service" and "nostalgia" but I didn't mind. It didn't feel forced. At least, not to me. I think that I was sort of just looking for some nice quality entertainment and I got it. Seeing the Mando's face there at the end was quite something. I wish I could add on more to this, but I really don't get the "fan service" complaints, if I'm being honest. None of it felt forced. To me, anyway. I understand that others have different opinions and that's okay.

I don't have anything more to add that probably hasn't been said a hundred times already. The last two episodes definitely show that they upped the special effects compared to last season. I'm hoping they continue on that trajectory as I'd really like to see them break new ground in that sense. I think there has to be less "realistic" shows and more "fantastical" shows, if I'm using my words right.

Anyway, can't wait for season 3. I know others will probably ignore this comment, but I'm liking this show more than I did previously. Let's hope it continues on a good path, yeah?

3. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s not surprising as most people loved it.

4. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    A lot of Star Wars fans have been trained at this point to think that anything enjoyable is just fan service, as if the only content with any meaning has to be somehow difficult or challenging. I mean Ahsoka and Boba Fett could both easily be dead, yet you don't see nearly as many people labeling them as fan service. Luke is THE Jedi left in the galaxy at this point, it makes total sense to me that he would answer Grogu's call and find him. From what I've seen, a lot of the complaints and criticisms are coming from some of the more fervent TLJ defenders that feel threatened by this scene and the emotional response it elicited, as if it takes away from his scenes in that film or that it renewed criticism of it.

dick rodgers likes this.
  5. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I have seen literally nobody complain about the scene for that reason. I have seen people react negatively to the *reactions* to the scene from TLJ/Disney detractors. Which on some level is silly, whatever works for you as a fan is cool, but in the cases of the hypertoxic fandom using it as bizarre evidence of some kind of imagined internal LFL "war" between Favreau/Filoni and the "evil" KK, well, that stuff deserves to be called out. I've actually seen very little criticism at all of the in-story logic behind the scene, mostly just mild gripes about its execution and the way it pulled the focus away from the main story, and those same types of complaints are leveled at a lot of other elements of S3.

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Agreed I have not seen that sentiment shared here, Reddit or YouTube. Conspiracy nuts gonna conspiracy, gotta get them clicks and views.

7. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I have seen a lot of people who dislike TLJ claim that TLJ "defenders" don't like the scene or feel 'threatened' by it (whatever that means), but I have yet to see a single TLJ fan actually say anything like that.

This TLJ fan certainly adores Luke’s appearance in The Rescue.

8. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    I loved TLJ, and I was happy they had Luke come to take Grogu. In one of the other threads, I forget which, I argued that it needs to be Luke and not Ahsoka. That said, I was disappointed with how the scene played out and it fell flat for me, but I can honestly say I'm not threatened by it.

9. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    Just speaking anecdotally of course, I've seen it a lot on Reddit and a couple other forums. There are a lot of other discussion locations with firmer lines of demarcation than we typically see here.

10. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    I think you’ll find though that that is not the general consensus with those that liked TLJ and more so the few and far between. Of course there are those will prop it up to fuel their us vs them conspiracy videos.

11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I for one absolutely love the fan service - I'm a complete sucker for it ^:)^

12. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    well, people here can’t speak for the people on reddit or wherever

for myself, I liked the ST for the most part, but I also loved seeing Luke in the Mandalorian

13. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Funny, never heard this idea about this connection between TLJ and Mandalorian. I don't understand it. You liked the finale or you didn't. I mean I wasn't a fan of TLJ, and I had mixed feelings about Luke showing up in the Mando finale. But, in the end, I realized it did make sense that Grogu would be (at this time) in the best hands in terms of training and safety.

14. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I wasn’t threatened by the scene for the reason some fans might’ve been. Rather, I was threatened by Luke’s awesome hairdo, which I’ve been threatened by since 1983.

15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Luke's amazing coif has been threatening to the masses for many a year now.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Some people cannot accept the Luke went from this to what he was in TLJ 20 something years after the events of this series. Thats fine you can like what you like. Luke believes in his own legend during this time. I think it makes perfect sense

17. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    So I've heard, though that hasn't stopped certain people from saying that "fan service" was a problem. Honestly, given that Luke is technically the last surviving Jedi other than Ahsoka, I suppose, it makes sense that he would be the one to find and potentially train Grogu, if the ending of season 2 is anything to go by. Frankly, even if it was "fan service," it was fan service that made sense, at least to me, anyways.

I really don't see how a "legacy character" being on-screen is ultimately "fan service," if I'm being honest...

18. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    So yeah, anecdotally, of course, some liked the execution, others not so much, but few have a problem with the story logic.

Here's why it's bizarre and sort of specious to say that on a wide scale TLJ fans are upset that "their" Luke is being "contradicted" or whatever: it assumes that TLJ fans are as cravenly protective about a certain characterization as the people who hate TLJ, which is sort of a contradiction, since by definition fans who were already more accepting of a different characterization of a Luke are gonna be more chill about that kind of thing. 'Cuz see, if you like TLJ, then TLJ Luke is the SAME Luke as the Luke in the OT, it's all part of the same character with a particular arc, and nothing about that arc says "and then instantly after the OT he became depressed and sucky as a warrior". I mean, absolutely nothing about the ST narrative suggests that Luke would be anything other than badass at this show's point in the timeline.

The weirdly prevalent idea that MandoLuke's depiction "totally proves they're going to decanonize the ST" is literally the same thing as watching AOTC when it was released and believing that because Anakin fights against a Sith Lord in the movie, they're going to decanonize the OT.

19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'm still peeved this never happened.

RetropME likes this.
  20. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    There is no connection between TLJ and The Mandalorian Luke :

1. The Mandalorian portrayed Luke perfectly
    2. TLJ portrayed Luke poorly

amoreena likes this.
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So long as they provide a reason in show for why they were there

22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    :rolleyes:

23. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Dunno looked like the same Luke to me.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  24. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Let's move away from comparing the ST trilogy to the Mandalorian. We have places to discuss ST characters, such as Luke in the ST forum. Just like we have threads in SWTV to discuss Luke in the Mandalorian.

Let's move away from that particular conversation please.

25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    JUs thinking about this finale of season 2 of mandalorian, and what over 1 year brake from this two season 3. Book of Boba Fett will be quite fun, but it won't continnue the mandalrian storyline that has been going on for 3 shows now. I think maybe there'll some light connection between the two of them. Aslo with both Rangers and Ahsoka coming how long break will it be between Season 3 and 4. Or will they make both the spin off shows and Mandalorian same time.?