main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    With the conclusion of Season 2, and now with confirmation that the next season is shooting following The Book of Boba Fett, there has been a lot of speculation on where the series will go next. What do you think?
    Please spoiler tag any potential leaks and spoilers until the season airs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    The finale is still very fresh. Let's at least wait until the new year to begin really digging into S3 speculation.

Okay have at it. To recap- Luke has Grogu. Din has the darksaber. Bo has beef with Din. Gideon has a massive headache.

Just in case it needs to be said, this is confirmed to be coming December 2021-
    https://ew.com/tv/the-book-of-boba-fett-mandalorian-season-3/

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    MrDarth0 and InterestingLurker like this.
  4. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I'm not sure if this is where I should say this stuff, but I enjoyed the season 2 finale in spite of criticisms of there being "too much nostalgia." I really hope that we see more of Luke Skywalker and that he plays an increasingly bigger role now that he's Grogu's Jedi master. That's what I'm hoping for, anyways.

eko32eko7 likes this.
  5. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I reeeeeeeaaaaallllly want Din to be pledged to serve Bo-Katan's cause as a champion in a compromise over the darksaber, then see an ever-growing tension result from him getting more educated and informed on the situation and thus becoming conflicted over Bo's less altruistic and heroic aspects. Think like the classic Arthurian Soap Opera, where everyone knows Lancelot and Guinevere have an affair, including Arthur, but no one involved among the three wants to deal with it yet... just replace the BS "courtly love stuff" with a "The Official Sword of Bad*** Leadership" plotline.

Also, I demand someone either an ISC member show up, or a new Protector in their pimped out armor!

Also also, pretty please, I want Sabine introduced here to give Din his own Trial of the Darksaber! Please![face_batting]

6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I think Sabine showing up in season three is a pretty good possibility

7. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I do hope we see a better variety of Mandos. Protectors, Ex-Imperial Supercommandos, maybe more of the Watch

8. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    As long as it ends with Din offing Bo-Katan, I'm ok with that. I never liked her character.

9. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Also x3, have Filoni write and/or direct it. After what he did with The Jedi, I want him to keep up the stylized visuals.

Zoe Con and godisawesome like this.
  10. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    I'm expecting Sabine to be a regular in the Ahsoka series.

Darth Derringer and starfish like this.
  11. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    Since Sabine is another one of his “babies,” I’d expect him to fully exploit her potential in a live action debut, whether in The Mandalorian or in Ahsoka - in articulate, if anyone is going to give her an “art-first” introduction, it’s Filoni.

...And since this kind of thing always happens when I think about the potential for including an artist among your cast, it occurs to me that if there’s ever an “official portrait” of Din as Mandalore at some point in the series... I think we know who Filoni would be likely to make its artist.

Grey Matter likes this.
  12. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I'm hoping this season dives deeply into Mandalorian politics and, based on where we left off, I think that's likely. I'd be good if Grogu's storyline is moved to the side for now and I think it would probably be for the best because it will give Din and Grogu's inevitable reunion more impact. If we do see Grogu and Luke at all, I think it would be a single episode.

I'm intrigued by Din's possession of the darksaber. I don't see him as leader material because he's too much of a loner and he doesn't seem to have any interest in the wider politics of the galaxy. That could change of course and it would give his character a place to grow towards, but Din becoming Mandalore or something similar seems counterintuitive to me. We'll see how it plays out. I actually think it would be more interesting if a morally grey character like Bo Katan or Boba Fett took the throne.

I'm just excited for more Mando. The creative team has earned my trust, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt no matter which direction they chose to take it in.

Palp_Faction, 2Cleva and Zoe Con like this.
  13. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    Wild guess, but what I know of her from watching Rebels so far, seems like Mando 3 may be the very place to introduce her, and then she can crossover to Ashoka. May be wishful thinking, but with the whole Mandalorian storyline being a major plot point, having her there being introduced makes sense.

godisawesome likes this.
  14. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020
    I agree with what you've said Luke and Grogu showing in an episode. Makes a possible reunion more impactful. I can still see the memory of Grogu being weaved throughout the season via memories and conversations with other characters who know him. There could very well be small scenes of Grogu and how he's doing training wise, and if he thinks of Din. Also, there's no way Din completely puts the Child's memory aside. It's probably going to still greatly influence his personal and political views of Mandalore and the conflicting factions within.

15. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    The way I see it, Dinks profile has to increase one way or another if he’s a major player in taking down Thrawn at the apex of this little “Live Action TV Saga” we’ve got going on here, and I don’t think Favreau and Filoni are just going to keep him as a humble background character to larger events.

So... I think either Season 3 focuses on him growing away from being such a loner and becoming far more invested in the state of the Galaxy at large in a pseudo-King Arthur way, or he’s *still* going to end up more invested in the Galactic struggle, but as a more “rebellious champion” kind of character more akin to Robin Hood (minus the Merry Men). I don’t see him just remaining a quiet, unassuming het slightly myopic badass going forward; he’s going to o oppose Thrawn one way or another, and in Mandalorian politics I think he’s either going to be the “rightful king,” support the “rightful king,” or overthrow the entire institution of “rightful king” because he realizes how bad it can get.

Either way, though, I feel like Bo is likely lay claim to the Mandalore title and act as an antagonist for a bit, though she may be somewhere between a mellow antagonist that Din can peacefully remove to a major villain that Din would have to defeat either way.
    Sabine offers the best kind of “connective tissue” significance to Ahsoka and The Mandalorian as parts of a single, epic saga, on the way any Republic Ranger who’s a part of Ahsoka’s cast would as well; someone who is plugged into the politics and events of another show so that status quo changes in one show have an impact on the overall story as well.

There also is a feeling on my part that so many of the contrasts between Din and Sabine might be on purpose - she’s the colorfully artistic, highly idealistic prodigy and Galactic Civil War veteran hailing from a noble house that she abandoned for a time, more humble and singularly focused “simple man” who by and large disregards the Galactic Civil War but is loyal to his adopted culture almost to a fault. If ever there were a pair of characters designed to analyze Mandalorian culture from two extremes without demonizing either one entirely... it’s these two.

I’d also say that I think Sabine has to be intrinsically involved in whatever larger Mandalorian political conflict we have going further, anywhere from being Din’s most important Pro-Republic supporter of he’s the new Mandalore, to her being the “rightful king” he supports, or being someone who helps convince him the entire system is a crock.

Zoe Con likes this.
  16. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Well, loners who become reluctant leaders are a pretty standard archetype (Aragorn, Han Solo, etc), so it’s not that difficult to imagine such a path for Din...

17. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    I kinda hope they stop introducing old characters and introduce completely new ones; work with what's given so far.

That being said, while I don't get the charges of "fan service" toward this show, I do think that introducing too many characters could potentially make things go awry.

We'll see either way; I think Star Wars is in capable hands.

Zoe Con and Cyber Spark like this.
  18. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    There’s too ways to focus on a cast of recurring characters in a series: reintroduce old ones and expand the story primarily in depth first, or introduce new ones, and focus on breadth of characters first.

If there’s a huge amount of potential in bringing an older character back, I’d do that. If there’s a situation that would best suit a brand new one, I’d do that.

Sabine would be an excellent addition to The Mandalorian because of her background and potential. At the same time, the potential for new, villainous Mando’s would probably work best with some new ones introduced.

19. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Only if they hire an actor other than Mark Hamill to portray Luke. I've had enough of CGI Luke. You know what? No. I don't want to see more of Luke. At least not too much of Luke. This series is about Din Djarin, whether Grogu is with him or not.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Darth Chuck Norris likes this.
  20. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Well, that last bit is your preference (and I don't entirely disagree, I think we're good without a lot more Luke), but for the first part, now would be exactly the wrong time to recast Luke, since he's specifically played by Mark not only in general but specifically in this show.
    This show really does strike the balance for me. When Bo-Katan shows up, it would be silly for that narrative role to be played by anyone other than Bo-Katan. Conversely, Fennec Shand's role could have been filled by, like, Dengar or somebody, but it didn't have to be, and as a result we have a cool new character who's already crossing over into *two* other shows, and I'm not complaining!

21. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    For Season 3, I definitely want to see more arcs focused on Mandalorians, and therefore more Mandalorian characters or characters connected to the Mandalorians, which is why I'd love to see Boba. Maybe Book of Boba has something of a focus on his heritage, Jango being a foundling. I'd like to see Boba take the creed.

22. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Just here to say HYPE!

23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I wonder if we’ll see slightly longer seasons now that we’re moving into a broader story. I’d love to get a 12 or 13 episode season 3.

24. godisawesome

Dec 14, 2010
    I think they either get more stingy with time and keep the same episode count (in which case the pace of the story will pick up and there will be even fewer filler/breather episodes), or we get an expansion of episode numbers.

Season 2 was extremely economical in its usage of its episodes - only the ice spider episode could be argued as filler/breather - while Season 1 was more sedate and flexible.

I want Din to become yet more dynamic again, and explore more complex issues. Honestly, that might just be suited to longer episode run times more than more episodes.

25. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019
    Where the character arc (the internal plot) goes will be interesting. We've seen Din grow a lot because of his relationship with Grogu, but what effect will their separation have on him? Will wearing the helmet less be a thing now, or will he return to his creed more strictly?

Din has showed interest in having a romantic relationship before, but his creed seemed to limit how deep this could go. Will S3 show how Din is ready for a deeper connection now? He obviously yearns to be a father and to have a family, so what's his next step in this direction? Obviously he and Bo Katan will continue to be placed together, so it will be interesting to see if something manifests here, or if Din meets another Mando who represents values that align more with his.

If Din will be participating in a new Mando War, it's very possible that the progress we've seen him make emotionally will begin to regress.

External plot should always challenge these internal elements, so it's possible we won't see Grogu in S3 much, or at all. And the events that transpire should challenge his growth and further growth. War as a plot obviously makes a lot of sense here, but I wonder also if Boba's return to criminality will influence Din in negative ways, if they remain allies.

whostheBossk and RetropME like this.