main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Disagree especially given your second statement has been shown to be incorrect. Directors have been let go because their story didn’t align with the vision (whatever that may have been) of the ST and tv series.

I think a better way of looking at it is the possibilities are endless however there are limits which writers are bound by.

I also don’t think F&F have been specifically tasked with linking up with the ST or are doing that of their own volition. They’re telling the story they want within the bounds of the timeline. If some of that provides deeper context to things that occur in the ST then so be it but it would be secondary to how it impacts the immediate story being told.

Riv_Shiel and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  2. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    There are no bounds for F&F. Pedro Pascal already leaked different timelines.

The ST will go the way of Galaxy Edge. That too was originally designed as an immersive specific point in the timeline now plans are to wipe away to make way for Mandalorian characters - including Luke.

My money says the ST/RO/Solo will be looked back as The Incredible Hulk (2008) of the SW era when all is said and done.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  3. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Yes there are and no he didn’t.

Riv_Shiel and DarthPhilosopher like this.
  4. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The quotes are out there from Favreau and Pascal that say differently.

5. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    What quotes? Where? So far you’ve provided no actual direct quote so my understanding is that you’re reading into things to find the answers you’re looking for that feed into what you want even if that’s not actually what is being said.

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  6. Master_Shan

Master_Shan Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2005
    I mean, in my dream world they step all over that trilogy. But I still don't think its realistic to expect Disney to eat that. They'll almost certainly try and salvage those plot threads in some way.

7. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    LOL - SMH. Your understanding lacking but you trying to frame it on me lying to get mod support.

Read at your own leisure:
    https://www.wga.org/writers-room/features-columns/the-craft/2021/the-mandalorian-jon-favreau
    https://www.indiewire.com/2021/01/the-mandalorian-ww84-pedro-pascal-stardom-1234609961/

They already are "eating it" with Galaxy Edge - which is supposed to be all self-contained to within the ST timeline which will be changed to include The Mandalorian and rumored PT/ST as well.

The ST has made about all it can for Disney. They didn't even use it with their 50th year celebration of toys. No matter how much I might have disliked the ST I would assume they still would have had some kind of ST toy (Rey, Kylo, Finn, Plasma, etc...). Nada. They got Clone Wars, Bad Batch and The Mandalorian of course though.

https://www.starwars.com/news/hasbro-pulse-reveals-lucasfilm-50th-anniversary-products-and-more

8. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    So as expected you’ve completely misinterpreted both Favreau and Pascal ignoring the context in which their talking about.

Favreau is explicit in that article sticking to established continuity and what has come before. Ergo he has bounds to what stories he can tell.

Pascal is discussing the new shows bouncing around the different periods of time, not alternative timelines.

At least read the full quote to get context instead of cherry picking excerpts that align with whatever conspiracy theory is trending.

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    LOL - you want the quote from Favreau saying he will flush the ST? We all know that won't exist - even when it done. Anyone with any business sense will talk professionally about it - or not.

Actions speak louder than words. We all see which way Disney is acting. The IP is going the way of the Mandalorian and it sidestepping the ST like the rest of Disney has.

This reminds me when the writing was on the wall for months that D&D's project would never happen yet some posters reacted to those posts because it wasn't official - when it was clearly inevitable. Same with RJ's series being done too.

10. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    So right back where we started with the conspiracy theories. No worries.

11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Lol - let me know the next time Disney puts some money into something ST related. I know you'll be following my posts.

12. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  13. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I’m not seeing any evidence that the ST is going to be retconned out of existence. The quotes provided are being twisted out of their context in order to fit the wishful thinking narrative which has been perpetuated by the grifters on YouTube. I mean the 50th Anniversary action figure thing is a perfect example - it’s not their entire lineup, it’s just for the first part of the year (and it also doesn’t include AOTC, ROTS or TESB either). I wasn’t satisfied with the ST either, but it’s part of the story now, and dragging out the wish that it’ll be removed isn’t going to make it so. I’m hoping that the ST can be improved upon.

14. AndrewPascoe

Apr 26, 2014
    Brand new TROS funko pops sold out across multiple online stores yesterday. there is zero chance the ST will get retconned or de-canonised.

15. GrandAdmiralThrawn66

GrandAdmiralThrawn66 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 16, 2002

Mate, are you even reading what you are linking as a "source"

See below:

"We have a tremendous amount of freedom afforded to us because of the gap in time between the films......" The gap between the OT and the ST....

So everything you have stated is just wrong and contradicted by the quotes you reference.

I honestly hate the ST-I watched The Last Jedi ONE TIME and never went back and saw the last film. ME, who saw The Phantom Menace 25 times in the theaters, DIDN'T SEE a STAR WARS MOVIE! And yet, even I understand you cannot go back and totally blow up the ST or you will look ridiculous, and sir/madam, no big executive wants to look ridiculous :)

Obviously, I'd love to see the ST erased and have a new "Jedi Academy" of sorts with Luke as the grand wizard teaching all of these damn full idealistic crusaders .... but its not to be, sadly.

Nom von Anor and Master_Shan like this.
  16. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    In an entertainment world where everything gets rebooted the notion the ST won't be continuously retconned is definitely a take.

It reminds me when people swore the ST was one big plan, that TLJ was the planned continuation from TFA, as was TROS was to TLJ. Watching the films that obviously wasn't the case but that talked was labeled "conspiracy theories" until people started talking after it was over and the truth started coming out.

F&F gonna tell their story and they have the keys. The ST couldn't get its story right through 3 movies yet the bigger money maker in The Mandalorian (both in Disney+ and merchandise) is going to be handcuffed by it? Laughable imo.

We shall see. Time always tells.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    It won't be. There will likely be retcons that change a lot of the context of the ST's story. Like the way ROTJ was retconned so that Luke isn't "the last of the Jedi" anymore. If Disney feels that the ST is a bit too controversial at the moment, they may shy away from referencing it or showcasing it for awhile, but movies that made $4 billion aren't ceasing to exist.

In short, retconned yes, decanonized no.

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    The thing is, people expecting the ST to be retconned do not want stuff like Luke not being the only Jedi in ROTJ. They probably expect to see Mara Jade, or Plagueis, or Lord knows what. It's always the same, they pick a quote, use it the way it benefits their argument the most and et voila! Back to the parallel reality.

There is no proof Filoni or whoever is going to overwritte the ST. But there are quotes of Favreau explaining how the Mandalorian will tell the fans how the FO became a thing. There is also what seems to be proto-Snokes in cloning tanks and what else.

But yep, the ST never existed guys, close your eyes, tell yourselves 5 times it does not exist and then run against the bedroom wall.

Wilhuff's Slippers likes this.
  19. Jedi Historian

Jedi Historian Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2012
    I very much enjoyed the story the ST told--perhaps not very original, but filled with pathos and tension. And far from being "handcuffed," Filoni and Favreau owe almost entirely their current positions at LFL to the success of the ST. The widespread appeal and success of those films spurred the current GFFA renaissance--no successful ST, likely no $15 million per episode Mandalorian. No Season 7 of the Clone Wars either. Corners of fandom can decry and wish away the ST all they like, but many fans loved it (myself included), and the general public ate it up to the tune of $4.5 billion. And since we're offering honest opinions here, a film starring an omnipotent Luke training padawans, or whatever, sounds pretty underwhelming. Unless perhaps they included in the story a rival temple called Kamino Kai...

Sarge likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    First of all, I can do without your snark, thank you very much.

I'm not sure how you got that from my post. I just said it won't be decanonized/overwritten. Retcons are not over writing. Also, I think your examples of what people want retconned are rather extreme. I'm talking about things like Grogu won't be killed. He and some of Luke's other students may be revealed to be alive. Grogu's popularity pretty much guarantees it. Luke's story will likely be fleshed out to try and deal with some of the complaints levied at it. Things like that.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
    Shamear, EHT and 2Cleva like this.
  21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    You lost me in that hyperbole.

The ST isn't why Disney put out more SW content. The ST is actually why they hit the brakes on content (Iger directly answered this). Disney was always going to do more Star Wars after the ST but they were treading softly because they failed in what they wanted to get out of the ST - the launch of an MCU like SW property.

They got that with F&F.

I'll simply point to @Pro Scoundrel said. Best case for fans of the ST will be the type of retconning the mod (I apologize - unaware of their pronoun of choice) referenced to. It could end up just being an option from the World Between Worlds. But its easy money to say the context and messages of the ST will be changed.

At least - everything Luke did will be retconned to be him protecting Grogu.

Shamear likes this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    He/Him is fine.

2Cleva likes this.
  23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I thought so but when I typed it I second guessed and didn't want to assume.

24. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Well, to be clear, I was not refering to your post. Or that you were the one expecting certain things. I agree with your points. If retcon means "enhance" as if giving context to what we got in the ST, then yep, things will probably be retconned.

Now, is that what some people are expecting? Cause I tend to always read the same paranoia from the same guys, honestly. First it was JJ was going to retcon TLJ, then KK was being fired, now D+ shows will retcon the ST... Isn't it simpler to accept LFL made three movies a lot of us dislike? Yep, Luke died as a poor man alone in an island, but as the Mandalorian shows, he did some nice stuff in between as well.

Sarge likes this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Then I apologize. Since I was quoted, I thought you were assuming that I was making claims that I didn't intend. Thanks for clarifying.

Darth_Bertie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.