main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian The Mandalorian Season 3 Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth_Accipiter, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    For me, I think part of Din's internal struggle will center upon him returning to what he knows (ie. Bounty Hunting), only to find that his experiences with Grogu will change how he approaches this now.

The other more obvious part concerns how he now views what it is to be Mandalorian.

2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Very well said.

I also think that Din is more of a "follower" than a "leader" and that'll be his problem: he'll find himself thrust into this role more and more and it won't just be with the Darksaber but with other events that are forthcoming. At least, that's how I think things will play out. He'll ultimately be a "reluctant Mandalore," if you think about it.

3. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    Here's how I see these things:

- If they want to take Din back to bounty hunting to display that he actually can't be satisfied with that life anymore... than Din should be a guest star in The Book Of Boba Fett to showcase that "starter status quo" for Season 3, not just so we get a sneak peak at it, but so we can contrast his new mood and dissatisfaction to his earliest appearance in his own show, but also to his "conceptual grandfather."

- *If* romance is on the table... then hopefully they do it smart and classy. I don't believe it's necessary, but it can be a nice little bonus, though I'd say that if we're doing rampant speculation about Bo, then Sabine should be included as well just to keep things honest.

-I still think the quickest way to make a statement and propel Din forward would be to start Season 3 with him as one of Bo-Katan's defacto supporters as part of his deal of her help in saving Grogu; you can show he knows he can't be satisfied with bounty hunting anymore, but also show that he's not entirely at home being a follower either - he's more of a loner than that. And if he's Bo's "champion" with the darksaber to try and get around that issue, defeating challengers to unite them with her faction, we can quickly set about expanding the political situation.

4. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    While I loved seeing Luke in his post ROTJ form for the season finale I do agree with those who want this season to be more about Djin and some of the newer characters versus the classic characters. I have faith in the creative team to handle this well.

Question for the gang: Who thinks the Mando will try to "end" or tie-in with the beginning of Force Awakens? Or will it just end and not pay much attention to the current sequels at all? Ive read/heard things supporting both angles.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2021
  5. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020

I always thought that a surprise appearance by Din in the Book of Boba Fett would great. The idea of helping Boba and Fennec out after helping him get Grogu back, giving him some sense of temporary purpose, and then realizing helping them out was satisfying, but not necessarily the bounty hunting itself.

I don't necessarily think of Din having a romantic interest YET. Think he it figuring himself out; the absence of Grogu, being a Mandalorian, helmet, no helmet, his claim to the Mandalorian throne, and all the Mandalorian factions. That's more than enough to deal with. Maybe in Season 4, but you never know. If anyone, I think it would be Omera from Sorgan. Don't like it when they have a male and female battling it out over something, and automatically there has to be some kind of romance. Again, if done right, but later, if you know what I mean.

I totally agree with you about the first point. Focus more on Din , new characters versus the classic characters.

I don't like the idea of tying Mando to the Sequel Trilogy, even though there are clear indications of some connection, but it doesn't necessarily have to serve as a show whose sole purpose is to connect to the Sequel Trilogy.

If anything, part of Din's legacy (and Grogu's) will be the taking and occupation of Mandalore before the Imperial Remanent forms into the First Order. We may also learn why Grogu and Din are not present or mentioned in the Rise of Skywalker.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2021
  6. Ghost Ryder

Ghost Ryder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    I don't see that happening, mostly because the show would have to cover twenty-five years in total. It can still make some general connections, as it already has.

7. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It'd be one thing if The Mandalorian was the one single thing carrying the Star Wars torch in this part of the timeframe -- that might give it a mandate to make a lot of connections -- but it way isn't. There are at least three other shows in the between-trilogies timeframe and every indication that when those shows end there'll be more. As it stands, while the show isn't divorced from the ST, it has much more direct ties to the OT and Rebels, and the latter's dangling plot threads in particular.

8. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    One possible tie-in to the ST might be a younger DJ. A bit of the origins of "Don't Join".

whostheBossk and QUIGONMIKE like this.
  9. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I think it will go past the events of the sequel trilogy to the end of Din's life.

*Drops mic*

No seriously, not only do I see this series going on a lot longer than expected, I see this series as remaining the "flagship," so to speak, which means that it'll keep being given a wider set of things to do while it's still airing.

I give this show 6 seasons, maybe even 8 tops, but again, that depends on how well it does; it's still the flagship series in terms of television for the franchise.

10. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Could be. Its the "bomb" right now but 8 seasons? Wow! Most shows that have gone or tried to go that long start to fizzle out long before they reach that long of a tenure. Not saying it could happen but that'd be quite an achievement. IMO, 3-4 strong seasons seems to work out great for most shows. But, if the quality stays then Im good with it and will watch. There is a lot of content and SW is a big universe so they have that going for them.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    InterestingLurker and Zoe Con like this.
  11. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    Din and Bo would be very interesting story wise. She could really open him up lol. I did not mean that in any sexual way despite how it sounds. I just mean her ideology could really rub off on Din.

Ok everything I say now sounds sexual and I swear it ain’t intentional...

godisawesome likes this.
  12. Zoe Con

Zoe Con Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 5, 2020

As much as I'd love to see this show go on for quite a while, they've emphasized that quality of story will determine how long it goes and for what purpose. It depends what the big, grand plan is for all the shows, and the "climactic event" that brings four of those shows together. Based on interviews, I've heard 4 seasons. 5 seasons would be a bonus. I just hope we have some kind of 'happy ending' for Din and Grogu in terms of their standing, and role in the galaxy. Din finally attains the child back only to give him up again (for the child's benefit, of course). Basically, Din possibly becoming the Mandalore or helping to establish it, while Grogu may come back and become a Mandalorian Jedi. Who knows.

InterestingLurker likes this.
  13. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    I think Rangers is telling. From what little we know about it, it's not a limited series but will have a narrative convergence along with Mando and Ahsoka. Next year seems pretty well booked, so if Rangers premiers in 2023, I think Mando could go 5+ seasons.

14. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    Actually, you're right.

The reason why I felt that it would go on for so long was because I think Disney genuinely wants it to be their flagship for the time being, the thing they can always "fall back onto" when the going gets tough for them in terms of Star Wars. I also think the show will explore as much of the New Republic era as possible.

Edit: But 8 seasons? Yeah, not happening. Especially after the tragedy that was Game of Thrones. I just feel that Disney doesn't want to make that mistake. Forget what I said before.

Still, I see this reaching a healthy 5 seasons, add or take (and even "adding and taking" in this case is unlikely; 5 seasons is literally the lucky number as far as TV shows go).

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  15. Ghost Ryder

Jan 16, 2016
    At least from what I've seen, the predominant criticism isn't that it went on too long. And if Mando went eight seasons with a consistent episode count in each, it would end up with fewer total episodes than GOT.

16. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Yeah - theres a lot to ponder here. Multiple shows needing to "canonize" properly. Glad Im just watching and not in charge of making sure it gets this all right, lol. Quality over quantity is almost always the right call so if they are using that as a concept for the show then we're likely in good shape. Although Im nervous that this will all work out correctly, Im also excited to be a a SW fan right now with so much potentially great content yet to come out. :)

Five healthy seasons sounds perfect. Even just 3-4 is fine with me if they get it right. They've done a solid job so far. Season 2 was just fabulous. Lets keep it rolling.

17. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    The Armorer was the vaguely-matriarchal authority figure for Din among The Watch, and he reflected her beliefs and teachings throughout Season 1 and 2. Bo might slot into that spot now, especially if Din is becoming more of a politically involved Mando, which is Bo’s turf.

I’d expect him at minimum to accept her POV as his standard operating POV for a while at least, though probably not for long; if they want to portray Din as having matured in Seasons 1 and 2, than he’ll already be practicing some critical thinking pretty early on.
    And Mando episodes aren’t exactly very long. We’ve had more than one that have been closer to a cartoon episodes length.

18. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Great point about episode length! I forgot that some of these feel like classic 22 minute sitcom episodes from the 70's or whatever.

Zoe Con and InterestingLurker like this.
  19. InterestingLurker

Jun 15, 2011
    I actually like the episode length; part of the problem with Game of Thrones was that they insisted on using 60 minutes for episodes that didn't need it.

For example, the Purple Wedding episode, while important, mostly wasted time for the full 60 minutes that it was on, hammering us again with the fact that Joffrey is an evil delinquent king. Wow, thanks for making us hate him even more... not like we needed much encouragement by that point. So yes, I think that only certain episodes being beyond the 35 minute time-frame is fine.

Edit: Basically, I prefer the average 30-minute-or-so length than what we get in some shows.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  20. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Isn't it obvious where season 3 will be going, the war on Mandalore, but will Din still side with Bo-Katan?

2Cleva likes this.
  21. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Dunno - and how does Ahsoka play into this? Cant wait. :)

Zoe Con likes this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    100% disagree on GoT. That show needed more time, not less, IMO, given the complexities of the personal, political and spiritual (existential) stories, and how they connected. Though I’d have argued for two more seasons, and not longer episodes.

Darth Nave likes this.
  23. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Ahsoka is busy with her own show where she's hunting Thrawn.

2Cleva likes this.
  24. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    I would love if Din makes his way to Mandalore, only to find it mostly in ruin. And that could work with the wild west theme too, like rediscovering an old completely deserted mining town, or an ancient indigenous civilization with no sign of life.

And seeing its current state could add to his new life purpose.

The Chalk Jedi likes this.
  25. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    The only issue is that this is exactly what his character expects to see, based on what the Children of the Watch had led him to believe. So I think the opposite would contribute more to his character. Expecting total desolation, and finding that there’s life under the surface. Perhaps even literally under the surface. That would be a cool development. Mandos organizing underground, below the “glassed” surface.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021