main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What We Do in the Dark Side: Taika Waititi to direct/co-write new Star Wars film

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by PymParticles , May 4, 2020.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I think that it will be a pleasant surprise and that The Book of Boba Fett will have its own identity, and unique story angle. As said above, on the surface, the Mandalorian appeared to be a Boba Fett rip off at first glance, and you would be forgiven for thinking so with the first episode, which has Mando doing very bounty hunter type stuff. The story evolved into something rather unexpected however and showed real heart and emotion across its two seasons. I would be very surprised if the Book of Boba Fett doesn't have a similar compelling story underpinning it, because a "bounty hunter show" is likely to quickly become dull.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Crod1992, El_Machete12 and Bor Mullet like this.
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The first episode ending with Mando doing an ET with Baby Yoda put to bed any notion that the show would be a Boba Fett ripoff.

3. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I agree, but the vast majority of the first episode was filled with the kind of tropes that I imagine everybody was expecting of a show where the main character looked a bit like Boba Fett, until the closing scene threw a curveball.

El_Machete12 likes this.
  4. King Maul

King Maul Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 20, 2016
    A interesting theory I saw on Reddit: The movie will focus on Force sensetive slaves revolting against the Rakatans and these slaves will eventually get on board the Tho Yor , thus making this pre- Jedi.

I think this is something close to what we'll actually get. It would be cool to see the Rakatans and Waititi could be the guy who adapts them in a good way. The Infinite Empire is sort of already canon , in name at least. They are mentioned in the Legend of Lehon where it says they bombed Tatooine , just as they did in Legends.

I feel the Dawn of the Jedi era has a lot of potential for content. If Waititis movie is actually set in this era and is succesfull , I would expect this era to be further explored with more movies , D+ series , comics etc.

black_saber likes this.
  5. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    That could be interesting. I think it has a chance to bring more people into the story as well.

6. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I want to see Jedi and force sensitives, if they’re not doing the first Jedi story or the world between worlds or Jedi vs mandalore then do something with Jedi maybe knights of the old republic.

Crod1992 likes this.
  7. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    This could be cool in a movie I would be into this! but would they do this?

dolphin likes this.
  8. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    So I saw untitled Star Wars project in production weekly I wonder if this is Taikas movie

dolphin likes this.
  9. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I’m just a little nervous about the level of irreverence and sacrilege one might expect in a Waititi Star Wars film. With that said, I love everything Taika has done so far so fingers crossed.

Jedi Knight Fett and Shamear like this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Yeah, and I'm glad for it; if I wanted a Boba Fett show, I'd watch... Well, actually, I'd watch a show about Cad Bane first as I think that Boba Fett is an overrated character, but if not that, then sure, I'll watch a show about Boba Fett (which is exactly what I'll do with that very same show that's coming out this year so, yeah, funny how things work out). [face_laugh]

But yeah, I had faith in Disney even back then; while I have my issues with their "main content" (really, just the sequel trilogy), their "supplementary content" (TV shows, video games, comics, books, etc.) have been spectacular and I feel that both will "blur" moving forward.

In fact, I think the TV shows will be just as important, imho.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
  11. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    I envision from this project rip-roaring fun with some Star Wars sacrilege mixed in.

12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Why sacrilege? There’s so much he could do without even scratching the surface of established lore, continuity, etc.

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Maybe it will be an origin story for Lando, when he's a quirky bohemian on Coruscant who falls in love with a punky Twilek, and the ironic dichotomy of love under dictatorship leads to disillusionment.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Just wanted to post this, seeing as we were talking about Jaxxon and how he could be done in live-action, I thought this was as good as place as any:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    Siphonophore likes this.
  15. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    You just ruined my picture of the Easter Bunny

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

This movie seems far off.

17. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, a statement like that sounds like it could be quite a while away.

18. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Next year's Celebration is now just a few weeks after the release of Taika's next Thor film. Could be an opportunity to pull back the curtain a bit on whatever he's cooking.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I mean, it's June 2021. Since Rogue Squadron is already slated for December 2023, and they've reserved Dec. 2023/25/27 dates for Star Wars, the earliest this film could come out is December 2025. Based on the production of the past five movies, that means the likely start date for filming is early-mid 2024. Waititi's answer doesn't surprise me, nor do I think it should be surprising to anyone else. We know what schedule we're operating with here.

MrDarth0 likes this.
  20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Clearly it's cancelled ;)

The Regular Mustache likes this.
  21. MY Millennium Falcon

MY Millennium Falcon Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2019
    Taika should come up with a short film centering on his popular IG-11 character in The Mandalorian - that will be a fun way to kick things off before the man thinks about a full fledged movie next…

22. ladygrey45

Dec 30, 2015
    Yeah just give us some basic plots and setting would be v nice!

literal pain “ for those waiting for a new Jedi centric trilogy or episode 10 don’t hold your breath, I want a new Jedi or sith centric first Jedi kind of stuff ughhhh.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  23. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    The plan of basing movies off directors instead of story has had it share of misses and bad timing.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  24. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    I don't follow...

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  25. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Bold Prediction! The film gets release date and possibly starts filming before the story is fully written.

2Cleva likes this.