main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Cast of Rogue Squadron

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , Dec 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Charlize Theron starred in The Old Guard, which came out last year. Its ending implied it's the start of a series, so I don't believe she's all that retired.

2. Wilhuff's Slippers

Wilhuff's Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2019
    It'd be disappointing if she's in the Rogue Squadron film - she's got to be live action Avar Kriss...

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Apologies, got her mixed up with Diaz.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    Michelle Rodriguez please

5. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

On second thought... no, not those guys.

6. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Pity this guy is no longer available...
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet, Glitterstimm and Sarge like this.
  7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ By far the best part of that movie.

Bor Mullet and Django Fett like this.
  8. SnubJockey

SnubJockey Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2009
    Can anyone explain to me the recent clamor for de-aging actors rather than recasting?

I guess I'm the guy who, as much as I like Hamill, thought Luke in Mando would have benefited from a re-cast? Ditto CGI-Tarkin in Rogue one. With that many lines, let Wayne Pygram or whomever play it AS Tarkin. The uncanny valley stuff really throws me.
    Like. Let other people play iconic roles. We didn't need one James Bond or James Kirk. The character isn't, or shouldn't be the actor.

As much as the total lack of planning, scale, or character consistency in the ST turned me off, Rogue One and Mando still have me slightly hopeful for something well-planned and heartfelt. While I think Lawson could work as an old commander of a flight school, I don't much care about the state of the galaxy pre TFA or post ROS because the ST was that bad, so I struggle to think of the setting or plot options.

If we're getting GCW-era Rogues? They can recast everyone, give some new people a chance to put their names on the characters (and revive Hobbie from the "dead" while they're at it).

9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m with you 100%. Much prefer recasts and just don’t understand the hostility to it. It’s a deep level of aversion to change/ visual continuity disruption that my mind can’t fathom.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    Mostly Handless and SnubJockey like this.
  10. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Personally I believe if the story is good enough. if the actor taking over engages the audience so that their attention is taken towards the story there shouldn't be a problem. I love Solo, it's a good story and Alden Ehrenreich has enough charisma to be a believable Han. There wasn't the fuss about the recasts that has already happened. Bob Anderson replacing Dave Prowse as early as 1980 for the duelling scenes and most recently Joonas Suotamo and Jimmy Vee replacing Peter Mayhew and Kenny Baker respectively... then again you don't see their faces.

Mostly Handless and SnubJockey like this.
  11. SnubJockey

Jan 23, 2009
    I think it's definitely a "Faces" thing. There's also the issue that for the first time in history the technology is "There" (read, just possible) to do the de-aging, and that appeals to a certain subset of "Collector" fan who views the actors like action figures as opposed to people. Now that the chance to trap their youth/childhood in amber exists, nothing will be good enough and they'll look for any possible venue to bash new actors (Ehrenreich and Glover) playing older roles. Or insist that this youtube guy who does a Han impression would have been better.
    Solo's issues weren't with casting, but IMO more with switching directors midstream and dropping directly after:
    A) A Star Wars movie that same year ("Hey, I saw the main one, why do I need to...)
    B) A very controversial Star Wars movie among the fanbase.

I liked exactly ONE of the new Trek movies (Ohai Beyond) but the cast was all stellar.

Bor Mullet and PymParticles like this.
  12. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I know someone who would really "kick ass" as a pilot. I can't believe she's 24 now.
    Chloë Grace Moretz

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    adaml83 and chrcharcor2 like this.
  13. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    May be Luke Skywalker, long dead, can inhabit the body of some random pilot???

PJ goy a lot of abuse for doing that in WW1984, so perhaps better not [face_laugh]

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Does anyone else read PJ and automatically think of Peter Jackson? I'd love for him to make a fighter pilot movie. He collects WW1 airplanes and was working on a remake of The Dambusters, so it would be right up his alley.

15. SnubJockey

Jan 23, 2009
    I'd want to see him take a crack at Derek Robinson's WWI RFC books.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    the only reason I noticed Tarkin and Liea being CGI because i new it before hand going in I never told my parents when we saw it they had no idea they were CGI till i told them there draws dropped and they said Noooooooooooooo! and for me once the shock of seeing Tarkin wore off I didnt even notice anymore. my parents thought they got different actors for the parts. my moms eye sight is 20/20 vision better eye sight then me. and she is 68 years old. i saw a YouTube video where these nerds thought they could do a Deepfake Luke CGI better then Lucasfilm they thought they succeded I disagree not even close Lucasfilm did a way better job. This Sabastian Stan rumor is just a fake rumor that fans are getting unhealthy expectations on happening it aint gonna happen.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    My wife, who has a great eye, also did not notice Tarkin was CGI.

18. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Tarkin was CGI?

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    What, you didn't recognize his foul pixels when he came on board?

20. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014
    I meant jaws not draws my bad.

21. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Chiwetel Ejiofor please.

Mistress_Renata and Sarge like this.
  22. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    If both her eyes were great she probably would have noticed.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  23. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Touché!

DarthKegs likes this.
  24. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    With regards to Star Wars, I imagine it's an aesthetic sensibility, an illusion of continuity, that one either buys into or not (and I'm on the fence). For example, if you're going to do an origin Han Solo story, set before the events of ANH, then I totally understand that it seems less jarring to cast Alden in that role, as opposed to casting say Bradley Cooper as Han Solo in a film set between the OT/ST. In reference to Tarkin in Rogue One, as much as I think the motion capture stuff is great, I think Guy Henry is a good enough actor (and can sound and look enough like Cushing), that it would have worked better with Guy Henry just playing the role for 'real', but for some the 'illusion of continuity' is then broken... I thought the Leia scene looked dreadful... but I appreciated what they were trying to achieve.

PymParticles likes this.
  25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I agree, and I think to some extent this separates Star Wars from, say, Star Trek. Obviously recasting was necessary for the reboot/Kelvin timeline films, but we have different actors playing Spock and Pike in those films vs. Discover/Strange New Worlds despite the characters being roughly the same age in both. This also goes deeper for me, in that there's a marked and successful attempt to make media like Rogue One, Solo, and The Mandalorian look and feel like they're set within the overall era of the OT, whereas Trek (which I love, I'm not bad mouthing it) freely updates designs for aliens, ships, and the overall aesthetic, regardless of when media is set.

Tl;Dr I think that "illusion of continuity" is vital to what Star Wars is, and how fans interact with it.

Pro Scoundrel and Darth PJ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.