main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion ROGUE SQUADRON - Patty Jenkins Film Potentially Back On

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by BadAcrobat, Dec 10, 2020.

1. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I don't mind if the movie is set after the Sequel Trilogy era and still uses X-Wings. I liken it to the fact that modern military fighter jets have generally retained their basic shape since the 1960s or so, therefore the fact that the X-Wing type fighter might still be in use maybe 50 years after it first appears isn't a deal breaker for me.

Sarge likes this.
  2. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I'm kind of torn between two era's...

The most popular timeframe in all media appears to be the OT years and the years immediately before and after. There are two areas that can be explored, between ANH and TESB and then between TESB and ROTJ. The Rebels must've had hundreds of missions throughout the galaxy that didn't include Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie and the droids.

Then there's the era when the FO and the Resistance are beginning to ramp up hostilities around 7 to 8 years before the events of TFA, big problem though would be what do you do with characters like Leia? The big reason why I like it to be this era is it gives the opportunity to have the clapped out, outdated Rebellion era ships and newer ships the Resistance manage to scrounge off the New Republic. It gives a nice mix of past and present designs and whatever Resistance mechanics can cobble together.

Sarge likes this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    My immediate reaction would be for it to be set in a new era, so given the existing timeframe, that new era would mean post ST. However, I sense that Lucasfilm’s new strategy will be to connect, albeit loosely, all new live action content... so whilst I’d prefer a new era, it’s likely to be set in and around the OT (incorporating Cassian/Kenobi/Mando timelines).

4. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m confused. How is this likely, when the announcement strongly hinted at Rogue Squadron taking place in a future timeline of the saga? All hints point to post-ST at this stage. From the official announcement:

The story will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    No need to be confused... I'd obviously not picked up on that 'future era' line you quoted... and that does suggest post ST at first glance. However, even that is a bit strangely worded, as you'd expect it to say 'move the saga beyond The Rise of Skywalker' or 'beyond the Skywalker Saga' if it was intending to be explicit... but that's probably why I'd not picked up on it.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  6. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    The obvious problem with this is creating a new and credible enemy. May be there's confusion given that PJ revealed the film using an OT style helmet and X-Wing didn't she?

Darth PJ and Sarge like this.
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The OT-style stuff is clearly what's causing the confusion in context of the official statement indicating the film is set past the furthest point we've yet seen in the timeline.

As for threats, it could be singular insurgency on a planet/planetary civil war, it could be pirates, it could be a rising crime syndicate. It could be lots of things. The threat doesn't need to feel like it's putting the entire galaxy at risk; as long as our heroes are in danger, and the film does a good enough job making us care about them and investing us in their survival, that's all that's needed.

8. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I'd be down to see some space pirates.

9. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    This. We don’t need the devil or a galaxy-destroying weapon to give a story tension. Plenty of stories chug along just fine without those things!

Riv_Shiel and Darth PJ like this.
  10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Personally speaking,,, anything that doesn’t involve Rogue Squadron fighting remnants of the First Order. They have to move this on from the imperial/empire iconography if set after the ST... in my opinion of course.

dekaneas, Riv_Shiel and Django Fett like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    What we're likely getting?

Rogue Squadron fighting remnants of the First Order.

Hope I'm wrong.

Darth PJ likes this.
  12. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "So here's the pitch... ready? Rogue Squadron fighting remnants of the First Order."
    "Let's do it!"

13. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "There might also be Palpatine remnants. We've been brainstorming."

14. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    ok, guys, I have an idea, get this

X-Wings vs TIE Fighters

oh yeah :p

15. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    Isn't that what Rangers of the New Republic will be about? Surely it isn't another 'fighting the remnants of the Empire' scenario that has been at the forefront of The Mandalorian and will feature prominently in Ahsoka.

Pre ANH fighting the Empire will feature prominently in Cassian Andor and to a lesser extent in Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Acolyte is pre TPM. That leaves the post TROS era, so are they not going to have the best damn X-Wing pilot in the galaxy leading Rogue Squadron?

May be it's all these possibilities that makes it an exciting prospect, who knows...

16. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    What if the remnants of Palpatine ally with the remnants of the First Order to piece together the remnants of Starkiller Base?

EHT likes this.
  17. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I could handle Sith eternal survivors... little Sith acolytes in their Sith acolyte ships being zapped by Rogue Squadron... Failing that, and probably much better, the criminal underworld or the Outer Rim Pirate Consortium... ;)

EHT and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Return of the Nihil, perhaps?

dekaneas, Siphonophore and Darth PJ like this.
  19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yep - I've just read one of the High Republic books, and they sprung to mind...

Siphonophore and Bor Mullet like this.
  20. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    I’m really enjoying them right now. And given some of the main political threats we’re currently facing in the real world, they may property hit the zeitgeist.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Darth PJ likes this.
  21. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I feel like Rangers will be dealing with the First Order fallout or the remnants of the Empire. Space Pirates would only be out for themselves. They wouldn't care about any faction or where loyalties lie. Just where they can get the most treasure. That is why I am all for this idea because it opens up not just space battles but the opportunity to learn more about the SWU at large.

Darth PJ, Bor Mullet and Sarge like this.
  22. Django Fett

Nov 7, 2012
    I don't know, I thought the Rangers would be trying to return law and order to the galaxy in the power vacuum left by the Empire's demise, there's plenty of scope for all kinds of scum and villainy to be dealt with. TM has shown a galaxy where criminals are running around most of the time unhindered, surely the New Republic government in its attempts to bring in systems will need to ensure law and order on those planets. That's where I see the Defenders coming in.

23. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Exactly that. I see this as being the Sherif of a frontier town/settlement and all the **** they have to deal with... similar to Cobb Vanth et al.

Django Fett and Sarge like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Agreed, except that Rangers by definition should range. So, I doubt it will be limited to a town or settlement. More likely, the stars will be the strangers who come to a different town each week, put things right, and ride off into the sunsets. I hope it's not too much like TM.

Darth PJ and Django Fett like this.
  25. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    The Nihil is not just a group of marauders causing havoc in the High Republic books.