main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    My great grandparents on my mom’s mom’s side were from Ukraine. They would have left in the early to mid 1920s I have never asked my grandma why I always assumed it was due to the Soviets. As that was why anyone mostly left Ukraine.

gizkaspice likes this.
  2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I have Icelandic ancestors who were disowned because of their beliefs. Coincidentally, the wife of a friend of mine has the same story in her ancestry. And that’s how we randomly both have ancestors on a memorial to Icelandic pioneers in this one city. It wouldn’t have come up except my friend posted a picture on the small island where my ancestors came from. It was a delightful connection.

I also have Scottish ancestors who came over to Massachusetts Bay Colony after falling asleep on a boat and the aforementioned Swedish great-grandfather was a stowaway. I once divulged this to a friend who was saying that I was a good American whose ancestors knew how to immigrate the right way. I enjoyed the look of horror on her face.

Gamiel, Chyntuck and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Wait so your ancestor just fell asleep on a boat docked in Europe and just ended up in Massachusetts?

4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, the full story involves the part where their friends were leaving for the new world and they drank a few toasts to their health. The boat left harbor while they were sleeping that off and they couldn’t turn back. They became swineherds in the colonies. There’s a Walkup Street named for them in Framingham, but the descendants founded a different town in Massachusetts.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s really darn cool

Chyntuck likes this.
  6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I had to do a family history project in school and I had so much fun learning about that side of my mom’s family.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I know some stuff about my mom’s side not a whole lot about my dads other than them being Irish and English. Interestingly all my great grandparents were immigrants. So I am only 4th generation North American.or is it 3rd. I don’t know how generations work :p

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    On one side, I had my grandmother’s genealogical obsession. On the other side, I have my dad’s cousin Hope who has been very diligent in finding such things. I admire them both and appreciate having all the stories they’ve accumulated.

9. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    See you all tomorrow.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    To my understanding so is most of Ukraine not that dangerous, as long as you stay out of the area fought over

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Yep mostly eastern Ukraine bordering Russia

12. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Speaking of Ukraine, I made some Ukraine borscht---highly recommend it with a tablespoon of sour cream :D

Gamiel and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The food of my people. It is great

@DarthIshtar question Utah is changing its flag to the “honeycomb” flag most likely seeing as your from the state what flag do you like better

gizkaspice likes this.
  14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I just read up on the proposed bill and it’s an interesting idea. The original state name meant “honeybee,” which is why it’s the Beehive State. Several buildings have beehives in their most memorable decorations, so it would be in keeping with that. I don’t really see it passing the legislature, but it’s not the craziest idea.

Gamiel and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Plus it’s good to see a flag change talked about not due to controversy. It’s a nice change from the other state being talked about

jcgoble3 likes this.
  16. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I hope they keep one that acknowledges the six tribes represented in Utah. Other than the University of Utah mascot being the Ute, they really don't get enough recognition. Currently, the flag has six arrows representing that.

And this is all stuff that's relatively new to me, since I'm from Massachusetts, but work in Utah. The bulk of what I know about the whole beehive thing is because when I was a hosting missionary at Temple Square for two years, there were 36 panels of etched glass with the beehive on them in one of my buildings and elevator panels with the state seal in the other (which used to be called the Hotel Utah) and therefore, I memorized a lot of things related to tourist FAQs. :)

Gamiel likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ironically Massachusetts is also in the process of changing its flag. Regardless of the controversy around it I don’t like those crest on a bedsheet design that’s popular among states. I want more interesting state flags.

Gamiel, DarthIshtar and jcgoble3 like this.
  18. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    If the Broadway guy you are referring to is Ramin K., I've seen a couple YouTube videos of him, and I gotta agree he's pretty terrific.

Yeah. Now that you mention it, I knew that. Thanks for reminding me.

19. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Celebration moment - came runner-up in the Reddit Fanfic board awards for a "Something wicked" excerpt. I'm stoked and really pleased. Although I missed both the nomination and the award days...so maybe need to work on my reading skills a bit :)

20. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Come to Ohio, where we have the only non-rectangular state flag in the US!

[​IMG]

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Looked it up and I believe it’s Hugh Panaro, since I saw it in late March, 1999. He started a month prior to that and some of his YouTube recordings remind me of that.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Looks like it’s gonna eat me

jcgoble3 and gizkaspice like this.
  23. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Now that you mention it, I see an eye and a mouth and it's like some kind of duck-dinosaur thing about to suck me in....actually, changed my mind--now it's a Star Destroyer having a white and red gas leak in space. I think I have a vivid imagination 8-}

jcgoble3 and DarthIshtar like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Rant incoming: We're having an in person team meeting in early March for my job. That might not sound like a big deal, but my team consists of people from all over three different states. And while my boss said you 'could' join on Zoom instead of coming, the impression was that is not a good idea. My boss's boss, and maybe his boss are coming as well as another guy, so add three other states to that total. He says he has a big yard area, but it's COLD here in early March and I doubt we'll be outside all day. I am not happy about this, but given how I was basically told to 'suck it up' the last time I said I was uncomfortable with something, I don't think I can say anything. There's no reason to actually do this we have weekly team meetings on Zoom. We didn't get to have our national meeting last year for obvious reasons, which is something that I generally think is great for morale and team building but the health of everyone should come first. [/rant]

Anyway... yay! It's Friday! Anyone watch a good movies recently? We usually watch one of Saturday, but I don't know what to watch this week.

25. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    That sucks. I'm sorry. It's always hard when you want to do the right thing but the bosses really pressure you into something you don't feel comfortable doing. Of course you feel morally obligated to stand up for your own and every else's heaths (and isn't crossing state lines illegal there??), but you also have to think about your job. Hopefully they come to their senses. Besides, pandemic aside, making everyone sit outside for hours in the cold comes with it's own heath risks.

On a related note, I went into the office for the first time yesterday. We are a team of 4 so we can pretty much work from home or the office as we wish as long as we let each other know. I'm pretty much all from home except when I'm out on a trip but yesterday I was asked to go in in-person to help with some stuff so I agreed so we decided to all go in to have our weekly meeting (in the 'board' room... its a dining room since the office is actually a house - my desk is in the living room with another co-workers) sitting in four corners with masks on. It was actually kinda nice to do just regular desk work in person.

Of course, it's completely different since we all live in the same city and 3 of us see each other often for work related stuff.

Now I'm having a bad pain day (probably related to having to go out into -18C weather yesterday) so I took today off. It's a long weekend anyways but I normally have Monday off anyways so I decided to give myself a long weekend too. I went back to bed after waking up. Now I might have lunch and then an afternoon bath to help with the pain.

I had an Avengers marathon last weekend (I added in a few extra Marvel movies) and that was fun since there's a few I've actually only watched once. Part of me wants to do a full re-watch of the Marvel Universe (over a few weeks of course) because I know theres a lot more I've only seen once.

I dont know why, but I've been really wanting to re-watch Holes so I think I'm going to rent that tonight (maybe I'll even buy it. Hmmmm.)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021