main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I had the seminar where I presented the paper yesterday. There was a 30-second sound glitch, so they offered to have us re-record and send in the mp4 of the recording. 6 paragraphs into the 7-page paper, I had to call a halt for 20 minutes to vomit. I came back on with a very gravelly voice, but thanks to a few bites of dry toast from my roommate, I made it through and we sent it off. But that’s ruined my plans to socially distance and have dinner at my friends’ house.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    We ended up watching Judas and the Black Messiah. It's based on a true story about one of the leaders of the Black Panthers and the man who was on the inside for the FBI. I highly recommend!

All non-essential travel is "highly discouraged" but the connecting states of New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut don't have travel restrictions because we've got about the same rates of COVID and so many people live in the surrounding states but work in NYC. So my team are all okay there, but yeah, the boss' bosses are from outside of that and subject to quarantine, which I guarantee they aren't going to do. Also, if we do end up inside because it's cold, we'll be over the 10 person limit. And I know the people on my team, they'll want to take masks off...including my boss who is bad about it to begin with. The more I think about it, the more ticked off I get.

I've been wanting to do that as well. It's a lot of movies, but I think if spaced out enough, it would be fun. I've watched most of them more than once, except for Civil War because I hated it. I can't stand the 'good guys try to kill each other' movies like Civil War and Batman v. Superman, they give me a visceral reaction that I almost can't stand to even sit through it. But I do want to watch them all again to pick up on hints they were dropping and things I'm sure I missed.

Oh no! I'm so sorry things were going so wrong! But I'm happy you got through it! I'm hope you are feeling okay, now! [:D]

3. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I'll have to look him up. :)

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    My Year 12s (17 year olds - last year of school) are currently sitting their first piece of assessment for the year. It's worth 25% of their grade.

They are stressed. I am stressed. I had the worst set of dreams (you know, the ones where you are naked in public kind of dreams) last night.

Off to eat my stress :p Wish my kids luck with me. I know they'll be fine. They are an amazing class - just want them to do extraordinarily well to get them to prove to themselves how amazing I already know they are.

5. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Faliro beach today. I think I haven't seen this since 1987.

[​IMG]

6. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    There's legit a foot of snow here. In Arkansas. Our friends here are joking that we brought it with us from Michigan. [face_laugh]

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    It keeps snowing, then melting here. So I occasionally see a white lawn out my window.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  8. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
  9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m so using the Exegol throne for my book club meeting next Tuesday.

Chyntuck and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Becouse I'm Gamiel, and think at least some peole here would find this interestin:

Historically Accurate Snow White by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    I have been interested in historical fashion for quite some time, and have been watching youtubers who explain
    ways that modern media oversimplifies, modernizes and wrongly portrays fashion styles from different era, destroys their silhouette
    for the sake of pandering to modern views of beautifulness. The first thing that I thought of were Disney Princesses whose styles were
    pretty, but also very questionable when it comes to accurate presentation of the era they lived in. Of course, this simplification could be
    because the designs were made to appeal more towards what children would see as memorable, tho I have to say that I thought that
    original Disney princesses designs were accurate for embarrassingly long time.

So I started with Snow White which is set in mid to late 1500's in Germany. Women's fashions of the early 16th century consisted
    of a long gown, usually with sleeves, worn over a kirtle or undergown. Sleeves were puffed and slashed, or elaborately cuffed and
    often looked like they were falling of the shoulders. Dresses were usually high waisted . A variety of hats, caps, hoods, hair nets, and other headresses
    were worn, with strong regional variations. Hair was usually scooped up with something, rarely did it just fall off and if it did, it would be
    braided. The best example of the fashion is Juliet from film Romeo and Juliet (1968).

Historically Accurate Sleeping Beauty by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Okay so, this one is pretty easy. In one scene Prince Philip comments to his father that he's living in the past and that this is 14th century,
    and that right there was basically the answer for us. While I always did love Auroras style when it comes to character design and even the
    style of the overall environment, her outfit is not really something that women would wear in that era. I do understand why tho, those
    early centuries are not really my favorite when it comes to fashion as for me the fashion starts to pick up somewhere in the 17th century.

The dresses were not particularly wide in that time and looked very loose instead. The one I drew on her is the most typical one I saw with
    the fur parts being on the shoulders and also on the end of the skirt. The Middle Ages, particularly the 14th and 15th centuries, were home
    to some of the most outstanding and gravity-defying headwear in history. The thing that I drew was the most normal, just type women headwear
    in 14 century and you'll see what I mean. Hair was rarely or never let loose, it was usually in a net like headwear or cornet headdress.
    Oh, and also, these were the times where plague was rampaging like crazy, so that's...neat.

P.S. I prefer blue dress instead of pink uwu

Historically Accurate Cinderella by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Cinderella takes place in mid to late 1800's. The fashion in that time is absolutely beautiful,
    lot's of ballgowns and puffy dresses, flowers as ornaments and overall pleasant aesthetic.
    The colors were very beautiful and often mixed and the hairstyles were also very elegant.
    The cage crinoline was defining the overall silhouette of the dresses of that time.
    The disney movie Cinderella that was made recently almost nails the look of that time,
    of course it was a bit modernized, but either way, I loved the overall look! I wanted to
    give her long gloves, but in all the drawing I saw made for that period, they were short, so
    I made them short. I added the pink roses to break the all blue aesthetic since multicolored
    dresses were not rare. And also, choker necklaces were a thing so yay, I got to leave that ^^

Historically Accurate Belle by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    Beauty and the Beast takes place in middle to late 1700's in France.
    These years were famous for a lot of things, including the incoming French
    revolution, art and fashion. Gowns and hair in that time had a very specific
    shape and sometimes would even be shaped as a square. Women in that
    time put white powder on their skin to make it look as pale as possible.
    Wigs were very common in that time, especially white ones, but if they
    didn't wear wigs, then they would put powder on their hair too,
    so that it would also look pale or ashen. Gowns had very complicated
    patterns and were usually decorated with flower type patterns.
    Even tho the original is nothing like 1700'gown, I have to say
    that I prefer original Belle's dress over the accurate one.
    Belle was also one of my favorite disney princesses when I was little.

Historically Accurate Ariel by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    It was a bit hard to figure out the time period when Little Mermaid took place,
    people were betting it was somewhere between 1600' and 1900'. Since it was
    a huge span, I thought I could try to look for some clues throughout the movie.
    I came around a specific shot of the townspeople and the town itself and
    noticed some things. Firstly some women were wearing bonnets which
    were a specific type of hat worn from middle ages to late 19th century.
    Some women also wore wide hats. Secondly, people thought that it took
    place in the 1890 specifically because of the large and puffed sleeves.
    But, since the structure of the skirt didn't fit that period, I assumed that
    it was a bit earlier. The overall look that I saw in the movie, with the dress
    that is coming a bit of on the shoulders, big puffed sleeves, bonnets and other
    type of hats that women were wearing , I came
    to the conclusion that this took place somewhere in 1830's or 1840's.
    Overall, very romantic looking period I would say, tho I am not the fan
    of most hairstyles, but the dresses are cute [​IMG]

PC. I also prefer the original and don't think that her pink dress was ugly.
    Sure if it was the same color as her tail, that would be cute, still, there's
    nothing wrong with pink dress.

Historically Accurate Tiana by Sunnypoppy on DeviantArt
    [​IMG]
    For this one I had so much trouble deciding which one of the outfits I
    should present. First I thought about the one where she was jumping
    on the moving trolleycar, in the dark green jacket. But looking how I
    presented all the others in dresses, I thought it would be unfair
    (even tho I love that outfit). ^^
    Even if it is counted as a wedding dress, I designed the green dress to
    be fit for a party dress. This one was easy to figure out! The story is set in 1926
    New Orleans. These times were famous for their music, jazz, fashion and so much
    more (not all pretty things). The outfits that women wore were always loose, and
    were beneath knee length. Figure was always hidden and women wore short
    hairstyles and had a "boyish" silhouette seeing how the preferred body type was
    skinny girl without huge assets such as breasts or hips. ^^
    I love Tianas original design and her green dress looks dreamy, beautiful and
    also compliments her in many ways including the aesthetic color choice!
    She also has the best outfits, at least to me and I would gladly wear many of them!

11. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I wish we were allowed zoom backgrounds for class

Chyntuck likes this.
  12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My work doesn’t do backgrounds, but man. I could do it for book club, podcast, Sunday school...

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I don’t really use zoom for anything else

Chyntuck likes this.
  14. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    OMG OMG OMG. I wish I could like this more than once.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Ever have the feeling that “it’s a good thing I’m not able to...”? Think me, the Death Star ruins, and speaking as a politician. :)

Chyntuck and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  16. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Sharing this Mandalorian take because it's the most hilarious thing I've ever watched :p

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So the West Coast has pretty much avoided the insane winter weather of the past week. Until today. It's been snowing like crazy all day. Normally I really wouldn't care, but I have to go cross-country skiing for work this evening. And I don't have winter tires (BECAUSE I FIGURED I WOULDNT BE DRIVING FAR THIS WINTER). Thankfully a co-worker agreed to drive me from her place to the ski-resort. But I still gotta get from my place to her's. I know it's not much to complain about given others situations but I'm just kicking myself for not putting on my winter tires. It seems to be lessening up so hopefully the drive won't be too bad.

But I also woke up late, spilled a bottle of juice inside my fridge, and started work an hour late so I'm pretty sure the universe is trying to tell me something.

Okay. I'm a bit happier now. Usually changes in plans annoying me, but I'm actually going to meet someone else from work who's going to drive us both up from the office instead of me driving across town just to get a ride up a mountain. The office is like a 5 minute drive which is much nicer for me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Ah yes, but it's so tempting... [face_skull]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    So I was scrolling through Reddit as I often do and found this

I wonder who made this. It must be someone who frequents the fan fix forum or at least used to. To be honest I can’t imagine writing something that is 10,000 characters long. That’s why I could never be a fanfic writer it still stinks that many of the old stories are lost forever

Still was an interesting read even if I already knew all of this

Spoiler tagged since it is long

20. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    [mention]Jedi Knight Fett [/mention] the link doesn’t work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    This pretty much checks out with what I've been told (I became a mod post-move) and what we been telling people. There IS a backup (somewhere) and initially we were told it's fixable but the guy was working for free, which comes at it's own cost (life happens and stuff you are doing for free sometimes suffers). Other options were explored but they all came with a hefty price with no guarantee. Not sure what the increase in board traffic had anything to do with it.

But blarg. I came home with a migraine - took some stuff and went to bed. I'm awake in the middle of the night, feeling better but my brain isn't totally functioning.

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  22. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    IIRC the problem is that the copy of the old database "we" possess is corrupted, and fixing the corruption is beyond the abilities of anyone involved with the boards and too expensive to afford to hire a professional.

23. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    May I ask what the stuff was you took? I usually take ibuprofen + Gravol which doesn't always work but if there is something else better I would love to know. And yeah I hate the brain fog after a migraine--it feels like a huge hangover and your cognition functions are crap afterwards.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ah really? Worked when I posted it in another community. Basically it was a Reddit thread talking about the move from IGN to here I was curious who it would have been as it was someone who frequented the fanfic boards

25. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    It works for me on the web interface, but Tapatalk (which Kit was using) doesn't support Reddit embeds.