main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Mandalorian Luke Skywalker (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Jedi Knight Fett, Dec 18, 2020.

1. TadoFett

TadoFett Jedi Grand Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    I think they could cast Hamill as Luke for a series, and use the same de-aging tech that they used for Kurt Russell, Samuel L. Jackson, and Michael Douglas in the Marvel movies. I think that would require him being on set the whole time though. Those were nearly flawless.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2021
  2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    No they weren’t. They looked good, but still artificial. You couldn’t do that if Luke was a lead character. Recasting is the only way to go at the moment.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Lobot's Wig likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You might be able to argue Russell and Douglas, but Sam Jackson in Captain Marvel was basically flawless, and I'd wager it's because it was more than a fleeting cameo.

But it also depends on the team doing it. The Irishman is a nice counter example, since that CG work wasn't quite flawless.

ArtemusGordon and TadoFett like this.
  4. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    i think de-aging is easier if there is less to de-age. Basically less to iron out. When there is alot, it starts to become noticable.

Shamear, TadoFett and Bor Mullet like this.
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I thought the Jackson CG work in Captain Marvel was pretty jarring, actually. And the Irishman? For me it was unwatchable.

6. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You gotta wear your glasses man, things look so much clearer that way. :-B ;)

About an hour into The Irishman I just convinced myself I was watching one of those video game cinematics that inserts OCs into live action, and it made it easier to just sit back and stop locking onto artificial De Niro and Pesci.

TadoFett likes this.
  7. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    The Irishman's de-aging wasn't fantastic by any means, but I was able to get into it much more than Luke's here because, despite the technical limitations that held it back, I actually felt real performances from the actors shining through.

I think, for me, the least bothersome digital de-aging is actually Clu in Tron: Legacy. It doesn't look great by any stretch, but it works in the sense that the character is a digital construct existing in a digital world.

I loved the presentation of Luke in The Mandalorian; character wise he is a perfect extension of his Return of the Jedi self. But I never really felt like an actual performance was coming through the static digital figure (despite Hamill absolutely nailing his old voice), and that held it back for me.

8. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think they could probably De-age Ewan and Hayden for Kenobi show fairly easy-ish. 15 years isn't too bad. but i do think De-aging will be definitely be needed for them in flashbacks and i hope Disney put the work and money in for it.

Luke on the other hand, i ain't sure how much work would need to be put in to make Hamill look 30+ years younger. probably about the same as it did for The Mandalorian

Shamear likes this.
  9. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

Yes Yes Yes ....this is a must for me - if they have the technology then they should dam well use it - Mark Hamill is the one and only Luke Skywalker and I also just wish they used the de-aging technology on Solo then it wouldn't have been the flop it was......

TadoFett likes this.
  10. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    No de-aging required for Ewan and Hayden just a bit of make-up I mean have you seen them recently they haven't aged much at all.......

Fin McCool, DarthFixxxer and TadoFett like this.
  11. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    I think thats being generous. sure they look good. its only been 15 years. but if you put a side by side image of Ewan now and Ewan in episode 3... you will see he has changed abit. and since this show may involved flashbacks, you probably want him to look abit different from the Clone wars to where he is 10 years after episode 3. and plus it helps visual continuity if you try and get their looks as spot on as possible.

And if this was like 20 years ago before de-aging was a thing. then it could be forgiven for not having the ability to do de-aging. but now they don't really have an excuse not to do it.

I seen alot of fan posters aging ewan up, and whats odd is that he probably looks the right age to play Obi Wan 10 years after episode 3 the way he is now. but i ain't sure whether that should be taken for grant in flashbacks.

12. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Did it help that SLJ has barely aged since he appeared in Die Hard with A Vengeance?

RetropME likes this.
  13. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    they need to get the look between Ewan and Alec just right.. and he better change his name to Ben in the first scene

14. mtt02263

mtt02263 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 29, 2020
    If they were making a full Luke series, I think you have to recast, de-aging is likely too expensive and you wouldn't have the full expression needed for multiple episodes of focus. For additional cameos, I'm okay with what we got in the Mandalorian.

15. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    de-aging is expensive and alot of work depending how big the job is.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean...There is always doing it in a animated series...which honestly i prefer more since Animation has way more story potential then live action.

17. dick rodgers

dick rodgers Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2016
    I just think the chances of a Luke series happening are slim to none. I see him more as a pop in and out once in awhile type of character at best. Itd def be cool to see him training Grogu akin to Empire Strikes Back. I’m just still so happy little Grogu is getting trained by Luke freaking Skywalker. Such a huge move on Jon Favreau’s part!

Nate787 and TCF-1138 like this.
  18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

which is okay since i think Lucasfilm should try to move away from Legacy characters and focus on new ones.

19. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Legacy characters are what makes the most money.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Personally my fear is more the opposite. i think the problem is they may introduce TOO many new characters in star wars and the legacy ones will be the least developed and slowly start to fade into the background.

I mean people say they wanna see new characters, but we have had so many new characters since Disney took over. lets not act like many haven't been introduced. but there is a difference between "NEW" and previously was "NEW".

There will always be new characters added, because new characters mean new toys or merchandise, which means more Money for Disney. but quite honestly with this worldbuilding they are doing. it wouldn't hurt to see more of the legacy characters.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  21. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    I still think it’s strange how little we have of Luke freaking Skywalker in comparison to Anakin since the prequels/CW, not to soon to be Din Djarin, etc.

Luke (and Leia/Han) needs the Filoni animated treatment, and soon, picking up from this Grogu storyline (and eventually, young Ben).

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  22. Daxon101

Jan 7, 2016
    Honestly i do not think Luke and Grogu will get a storyline at all. Maybe in comics, but i do not think the dynamic between Luke and Grogu will ever match what it was for Mando. The odd couple approach is what helped. While Luke being all master and youngling i do not think will ever compare.

I think Grogu will be returned to Mando at some point.

Nate787, DarthKegs and Sarge like this.
  23. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    Maybe we won't see Grogu again till some other spin off series set much further in the future, perhaps a couple of hundred years after the events of RoS.

24. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I would say de-aging Hamill would work if he is only in a selection of scenes (like Tarkin or in Captain Marvel). But it might be difficult to do it for a main character that is more or less the focus of the series. Now, if the series focused on an ensemble of characters, and Luke weren't the main character but maybe just recurring in several episodes, then I could see that possibly working. Personally I would prefer he'd be recast if it could be done well. Solo showed me this can be done effectively. I wonder how realistic it would be to have Sebastien Stan play Luke, but I would totally go along with that casting!

I will however, say that although I'd prefer live action, I am not averse to seeing Luke feature in an animated series, a la Rebels. I mean, if they went animated, imagine all the characters they could include-even Han, Leia and Lando!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018

Luke Skywalker posters.

RetropME and MrDarth0 like this.