main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    Number 12 symbolizes perfection in Western mythology and culture.

The number appears in ancient Greek and Roman religions, in Judaism and Christianity, and many other places.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Judas was one of the original 12 Apostles chosen by Jesus. After he went out and hanged himself, the surviving 11 chose Matthias to replace him; that's in the first chapter of the Book of Acts.

3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    Sorry, that should be 12 plus Jesus makes 13, there were 12 there at the last supper. Judas arrived late after informing on Jesus and was the 13th person at the table.

Sarge likes this.
  4. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
  5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Some day, maybe.
    Okay.

Mostly Handless and Shamear like this.
  6. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    Please no. The Mandalorian has proved that the old adage "Star Wars fans will never be satisfied" is in fact wrong and that stories can be told that will unite the fanbase. Let's tell more of those stories instead of going back to the guy who made the movie that split the fanbase. Please. Our world has enough division right now without perpetuating this nonsense.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  7. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'll believe Rian Johnson is still making his Star Wars trilogy when I see it, and believe you me, I want to see it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
  8. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yep, mentally I'd say that's exactly where I am as well. Even if this trilogy does happen, it is years off yet (the Knives Out followup seems to be Johnson's very next project, after all), so it isn't really worth devoting energy to this at the moment even if it does come to pass... but man I really do want this to happen.

9. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    This made me chuckle.

10. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    That's his next project, but let's look at the timeline of when this could even be release: we have three release dates on the calendar for 2023, 2025, and 2027. Iger has expressed that the annual release schedule was too much, too fast, and even though he's stepped aside as CEO I think that strategy will be maintained, resulting in the biannual release schedule we see following a four-year hiatus. I only say this to preemptively dismiss suggestions that additional dates could be added for 2024, 2026, etc.

So, working under the presumption that those three release dates are fixed, we have Rogue Squadron already scheduled for 2023, we have Taika Waitit's film likely for 2025 since he's already working on the script and will probably jump right into it once he's done with Thor: Love & Thunder, and I'd guess the film Kevin Feige is developing and producing will hit in 2027 since that just recently got a screenwriter attached, and it's been indicated it's a ways off. That means if Rian Johnson is still developing a trilogy, it will either A) be released in 2029 at the earliest, 12 years after he was announced as writing/directing it, or B) it will be repurposed for Disney+ in some way. The other alternative is that it begins in 2027, 10 years after it was announced, and Feige's film is released as an interlude in 2029, 10 years after that was announced.

So, with Rogue Squadron as a definite, Taika Waiti's film as an almost definite, and Kevin Feige hovering somewhere in the 50/50 range, something's gotta give. If Rian Johnson is still working on anything, I'd bet on it being for Disney+, but I think it's more than likely that we won't see any more Star Wars from him, as personally disappointing as I find that.

Def Trooper, EHT and bstnsx704 like this.
  11. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So you see a interview saying he's still doing his trilogy and your immediate response is it's not gonna happen...Cuz that's logical

12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

13. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Listen, my immediate impulse upon reading that tweet was excitement, but my response is based on the fact that it was announced four years ago and has seen little-to-no movement, and based on the current release slate the earliest it can happen is in 2027 or 2029, 10-12 years after it was announced. I want it to happen, The Last Jedi is my favorite thing we've gotten out of the new era of Star Wars and Rian Johnson is one of my all-around favorite filmmakers working today, but right now we have to contend with the reality that movies announced years after his trilogy was announced are happening years earlier than his ever could.

I have never wanted to be more wrong about something Star Wars-related than this, but we've had more than our fair share of announced/canceled projects since 2012. Josh Trank was making a Star Wars movie until he wasn't. Colin Trevorrow was directing Episode IX until he wasn't. David Benioff & D.B. Weiss were producing a whole series until they weren't. Until there's legit movement on a trilogy of movies that do not seem to be an immediate priority either for the writer/director or for the studio producing the films, I don't think I'm wrong to be skeptical.

Riv_Shiel and EHT like this.
  14. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    This makes me feel warm and tingly. I’m sure it’s still a ways off but hey - still happening.

For some reason I’ve got it stuck in my head that Johnson is going to write/direct an episode of one of the upcoming shows like TBoB or Mando season 3.

No actual evidence just a sneaky suspicion that that’s how Johnson’s first foray back into Star Wars will be.

Or you can have both. You can pick and choose whether you’re interested or not. Let’s also not equate liking or disliking a movie to other global issues that are legitimately causing division. End of the day it’s just a movie.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  15. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Yet...Your facts don't say it's not happening.

So....Yeah....

It's happening until a news outlet or Lucasfilm themselves says otherwise.

That's it...That's all there is to say.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I see your problem. You're basing your thinking on precedent, and a lack of momentum from this project, and not on a tweet of a Rian fan who is not affiliated with Lucasfilm or Disney. We shall have you flogged.

Def Trooper, Gamma626, Sarge and 3 others like this.
  17. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I mean that's fair. At least now there will be other stuff happening around the same time, so his movies won't be the only thing on our minds.

And, yes, these are just movies and the fan division isn't as serious as political divisions...but fans were very much at each others throats through the ST era and it was very reminiscent of the political division - sometimes even an extension of it. I just don't think the world needs more of that. I don't understand why you would go back to such a divisive figure when there are so many other talented directors out there who would love to direct a Star Wars movie.

Shamear likes this.
  18. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    LOL - if it was a tweet from someone saying the trilogy wasn't happening this thread would be flooded with posts mocking clicking bait or hateful fans etc because its not real proof.

Picking and choosing. That's nothing more than RK continuing to ride the Star Wars gravy train of fame.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
  19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Oh yeah. I forgot that Johnson is nothing without the "fame" that was brought on by Star Wars, and the minute it is announced that this trilogy is not happening, nobody is going to care about his career or upcoming films outside of Star Wars anymore...

20. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    You sound like you're taking this personally.

RJ has been playing this game for years. Besides KK comments before TLJ hit and the effect it had - nothing about this has came from any official LFL channel and it still hasn't.

RJ playing the game.

21. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I just don't get the hangup on this affecting his "fame." This potential trilogy that may or may not happen and means less than nothing to the general public that doesn't frequent Star Wars websites and news sources had zero bearing on the success of Knives Out. If it were to be officially announced by Lucasfilm tomorrow that the Johnson trilogy isn't happening (and despite this "news" from last night, I'm still inclined to believe it isn't happening, despite the fact that I would love it to), Johnson's career and his future endeavors will be just fine.

22. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, I'm going to patently disagree with the notion that he's riding this for fame. He was a well-respected director prior to The Last Jedi, and Knives Out is arguably his most distinguished film in respect to the accolades it received. Since that's the movie he's making a direct follow up to right now, I'd say that's a bigger contributor to his positive reputation, as opposed to "I'm going to make more movies in that franchise I get continuing hate mail and death threats from."

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ^ This guy's wise. ^

24. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Pym?! Yeah, he's OK I guess. :p

Really, though...
    This is actually very logical. I personally don't want there to be any more Johnson SW movies. But I agree with all of the logic here, and the fact that Pym is laying all of this out to support his conclusion, despite the fact that he does want more Johnson movies, shows just how logical about this he's actually being.

25. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    Knives Out or any of his work doesn't hold a candle to the clout that comes from a brand like Star Wars. No one really cares if he makes KO2 or KO10. But hey - he's free to say what he wants.

Just hope no one is holding their breath - don't want anyone to pass out waiting.

Shamear likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.