main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I'll see you again in 25 years" - The Twin Peaks thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi Merkurian , Mar 11, 2014.

1. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
  2. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Sight and Sound magazine had Twin Peaks as their #2 movie of the year. Kind of a cheat cuz it's totally a TV series (cuz they didn't run all 18 episodes in theatre like how OJ: Made in America did it) but I can dig it. Couple of funny reactions I saw, though, I especially liked one twittering that said (I'm paraphrasing) all movies come out in 50 minute episodic installments with a closing musical number over credits.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It's (coming) back... in terrifying VR Form.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  6. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Bumping this thread! I don't know if there's an active Twin Peaks/David Lynch fan base on here, but I am a massive fan and wanted another place to discuss this. David Lynch has a new television series in the works for Netflix, apparently titled Unrecorded Night, and there is mayyyyyybeeeeeee a chance that it is connected to Twin Peaks.

https://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/unrecorded-night-david-lynch-netflix/

On one hand, I find that Twin Peaks: The Return's ending is absolutely perfect the way it is. I will never forget the shock I felt watching that play out in 2017. "What year is this?" followed by that absolutely nerve-wracking scream still haunt me.

On the other hand, whether this new series is a Twin Peaks thing or not, it is more David Lynch regardless. Of course I'll be tuning in! I can't wait to see what this man is up to...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  7. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I can always go for more Twin Peaks but I think the really long gap between S2 & S3 added a lot. Also doesn't CBS/Viacom/Showtime own the show?

8. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    That was my thought as well, which is what confused me when this potential connection released...

I'm not 100% sold on this new project being more Twin Peaks. But whatever it is, I am sold on being excited for it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  9. Cynda

Cynda Jedi Master star 4

Dec 20, 2014
  10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

Still no word on whether or not that Unrecorded Night project mentioned a few posts above is actually connected to Twin Peaks or not (I'm inclined to lean towards not), but is seems like, whatever it is, Lynch is going to be making a formal announcement about it tomorrow! Either that, or he's going to be announcing some new wooden chair he's making (and honestly, I'd be pretty ok with the latter as well [face_laugh]).

If Unrecorded Night turns out to be something totally unrelated, we can split off into a new thread for discussion. But on the off chance that it is a Twin Peaks project, I'll leave this in here for now.

Also, relevant:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  11. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    I'm so excited for David's announcement! I've been watching interviews with him for an hour. The weather reports are terrific.

I saw David Lynch The Art Life last night and it is an excellent documentary. And the day before I watched all the special features from Criterion blu ray of Eraserhead.

Thinking about doing a Twin Peaks rewatch soon.

darthcaedus1138 and bstnsx704 like this.
  12. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah if this is twin peaks adjacent I'll definitely rewatch the whole show, with eyes on giving The Return a proper contextual watch, knowing where it ends up (I love it, obviously. Bless Showtime for giving Lynch the space to create such a lovely thing).

bstnsx704 and Dagobahsystem like this.
  13. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
  14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013

LYNCH [face_rofl]

"I wish for all of you blue skies and golden sunshine... internally." Thank you, David. And I wish you the same as well.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
  15. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Love that man.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  16. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    My life is substantively improved for the day thanks Mr. Lynch.

bstnsx704 likes this.
  17. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    If Lynch had done this five years ago, I'd be pissed. But in 2021, we have a Twin Peaks: The Return--a perfect series with a perfect ending--so all I can do is smile ear-to-ear.

Oh David, you silly goose...

darthcaedus1138 and bstnsx704 like this.
  18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    This is so pure.

[​IMG]

19. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I watched Eraserhead for the first time over the weekend with some friends. It was a hair-raising experience, ominously malignant from start to finish, the most severe world I've seen in Lynch's works, even moreso than Inland Empire imo. It made me see the "Black Lodge" in a new light, there seems to be a lot of crossover between the two concepts. Henry might be undergoing a similar process as Dougie from TP: Return, a spirit trapped in the wrong body. The radiator seemed to serve a similar function as electricity, a conduit to alternate realities.

20. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Big TP fan here. I did read about Lynchies new show too. Im in. Mulholland Drive is one of my all time fav films. Lots of great Lynch content out there.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  21. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Whats your take on Inland Empire? Ive watched it a few times and cant decide if I like or hate it, lol.

22. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I love Mulholland Drive , but once was enough for Inland Empire !

QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  23. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I've only watched it twice from start to finish, found it enjoyable, mystifying, scary, and fascinating. It probably has the most complicated and misleading "plot" of any of his films. The others spend longer periods on recognizably structured narratives before deviating into surreal connections, but Inland Empire keeps the impenetrable connections going constantly. I think it's vaguely similar to Mulholland Drive, in that you can see it as a story about a character in a dream, who is gradually realizing she is only a dream, and the resulting horror of emerging reality.

It's hard for me to say whether it's "good or bad" because I don't think Lynch was concerned with making it fulfill standard notions of formal accomplishment. It feels experimental to me. When I saw it in a near-empty theater it was legitimately scary, the way Dern travels down hallways in the dark was otherworldly.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    QUIGONMIKE likes this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I've seen some people tie Inland Empire to the final episode of Twin Peaks: The Return, as being two separate realities that a person navigates. That jives with some theories I have.
    I appreciated that the game Disco Elysium had a skill called "Inland Empire" which effectively was your "Detect Lynchian Traces" sense.

Glitterstimm likes this.
  25. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Cool - good take.

A lot of Lynch films do have that dream component and its clearly on display in IE. I like how is starts and feel it had potential but then he sort of loses me and the narrative(what little bit we had of one) gets mucked up and just goofy. I dunno. Its not bad but doubt I'll sit through it again.