main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Finish Him! Mortal Kombat Films

Discussion in 'Community' started by FatBurt, Feb 19, 2021.

1. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Red band trailer, naughty words and gory stuff (it is Mortal Kombat)

Yes we have another one of these but from what I can tell there is no involvement with Christopher Lambert.

It looks insane, I'm sure it'll be rubbish but I'm going to watch it and hate myself for it

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  2. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That move Sub Zero pulls is amazing. You know the one.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  3. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm sorry, but Scorpion's "Get Over Here!" just didn't sound right. In the original movie, you could swear that they took it straight out of the game (and probably did).

I think I'm looking forward to Kitana the most. Sonya was my main in the game for years, but by the time MK Armageddon came out for the PS2, Kitana really just grew on me.

DarthFixxxer, Luke02 and MotivateR5D4 like this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Looks bad in a good way

solojones and Ramza like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    They seem to be doing some adaptation of Scorpion's origin story, so whatever actor is playing him while he's still Hanzo is probably also doing the "Get Over Here!" as opposed to using an old Ed Boon audio clip.

6. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Hopefully someone pops up and says "Toasty!" in a high-pitched voice at some point.

7. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I don't actually know MK very well. Have only played it at friends houses and such. But I will definitely watch this on HBO max.

8. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I probably don’t watch it since I don’t own HBO Max. Maybe I’ll use a free trial if they have that

solojones likes this.
  9. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I just realized HBO Max is not in Canada....

[​IMG]

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    You got a VPN? I would be happy to "lend" you my login Jazib.

11. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    Haha I do not but appreciate the offer! I'm sure it won't take long to come out on other streaming services after release.

solojones likes this.
  12. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I'm way more excited for this movie than any rational person should be.

DarthFixxxer likes this.
  13. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003

The Chris Lambert films are terrible but this looks like it'll still be terrible but potentially watchable.

I'd rather watch this than Godzilla. It's also the first of a new trilogy by all accounts

14. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Right - like so bad its good.:) I always loved the video game but the latest ones have become a little iffy. MK2 was my favorite! As for this movie, they've been trying to make MK movies now forever and it never works. Hey, give them credit for trying but I dunno. Good luck.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  15. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    It'll be interesting to see how far into the lore they go.

And how they've planned out the story.

I know the director said Scorpion vs Sub-Zero is the main focus of the movie and that Sub-Zero is the main antagonist.

So maybe the second and third movies will each give focus to some of the others.
    The big problem with a large cast of characters has been trying to fit whole stories for them all in one movie.

I wouldn't expect Shao Khan to appear in this one.
    But Quan Chi might.

The trailer suggests Smoke & Goro and others will also appear

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Since they're planning a trilogy I'm thinking mid-credits stinger scene. Not like the original movie but, I dunno, him being really pissed off at Shang Tsung or something. Just straight up rip off how Marvel handled Thanos.

Also there's basically a trilogy just in the Scorpion/Sub-Zero plot what with all the vengeful ghosts and Sub-Zero II being a good guy and blah blah blah, so they wouldn't necessarily have to change the focus. Should they? Yes, because they should give the world the 18 part Bo' Rai Cho epic it deserves. Will they? Less clear.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I, for one, am appalled by the lack of Chun-Li in that trailer.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  18. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Johnny Cage surely will appear at some point.

Can't have MK without him

19. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    You leave my pure and good SF main out of this dial-a-combo morass. :p

20. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    It doesn't look great, but it looks watchable. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and see it almost as a CGI version of an old Kung Fu movie that just happens to use Mortal Kombat as the story.

Scorpion's "Get Over Here" sounded like it was just some guy wearing a mask trying to sound like Scorpion. It really fell flat. I hope it changes in the final version of the movie. For that matter, it would be a nice little callback if they use the same audio from the original, or perhaps a newly recorded but identical sounding one.

An updated version of the original song needs to be in it as well. It's just not Mortal Kombat without that. Even if it's at the very end during the credits, like not even the song that ends the movie, but the one that comes after that while the credits are still rolling.

It also doesn't look overly woke, which is a good thing. This is the kind of property that could easily turn into that these days.

I'm personally a big fan of the original and don't understand why it gets so easily dismissed. Granted, I was 10 years old when it came out, so there's probably a little bias there. And I liked the Mortal Kombat Rebirth short film and subsequent Legacy series that was released on Youtube. So there's definitely a lot for this new movie to live up to.

21. Dannik Jerriko

Dannik Jerriko Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2017
    I’ve been playing Mortal Kombat games since the early 90s, so I’ll definitely watch this nonsense. Hopefully this movie contains plenty of the humour from the games and doesn’t take itself too seriously. Also, Kano needs an eye plate.

DarthFixxxer and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  22. SithLordDarthRichie

Oct 3, 2003
    Is that Kabal fighting Liu Kang when he does the fire Dragon?
    Looks like his hook swords.

23. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Hiroyuki sanada is playing him.

Known to western film fans for his roles in the Last Samurai, the Wolverine,and Lost

He is considered Japan's Tom Cruise in that he is a major actor who does all his own stunts, since his career started as a stunt man in Sonny Chiba's( Hanzo from Kill Bill) samurai films from the 1980's. As is typical for Japanese film stars in of his generation he wad also a pop star releasing several albums.

Some good Samurai films he appears in are shoguns samurai:The Yagyu Clan Conspiracy, Shoguns ninja, Samurai reincarnation, legend of the Eight Samurai and the twilight Samurai.

He also had roles in Message from Space and the original Japanese versions of The Ring and The Ring 2.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ramza like this.
  24. Master Jedi Fixxxer

Master Jedi Fixxxer Force Ghost star 5

Oct 20, 2018
    It actually looks amazing.

I have played every single Mortal Kombat game from the main series. All eleven of them.
    I used to know all the moves from all the characters of the first 7 games (up to Mortal Kombat Armageddon) by heart.
    Including the finishing moves. Then MK VS DC came out and it was a bust.
    But now I own MK, MKX and MK11 on Steam. I have played only a few dozens of hours of each though.
    Maybe now is the time to go and play all 3 of those games to the point where I get all the achievements.

Dannik Jerriko likes this.
  25. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Has anyone taken the plunge yet? I’ll probably give it a watch later tonight.