main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    1. Knives Out
    2. Spoons Out
    3. Forks Out

2. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    I feel like knives out was good but he’s not the right person for Star Wars. There’s a certain timeless feeling Star Wars should have and rian just doesn’t have that like the writing alone not just the characters like his whole interpretation of Star Wars doesn’t seem right and there’s far better people who haven’t divided the fan base and who people would love to see and would have like most peoples support some the mandoliran directors are fantastic have Peyton reed do a trilogy but 6 years of theatricals when Star Wars is already treating there films super precious and I don’t want these to not do well or make another TLJ and he screws up the films entirely and it scares Disney to take cool risks when there are cool risks they can take with people who are right for this franchise. There are people who respect Star Wars and can make new and exciting things and have people love it. Why would Disney take a chance with a dude who 50 percent of the fan base hate so this thing could be so massively bad. 6 years of bad films since it’s a trilogy the risk to reward isn’t great when there’s a bunch of more qualified film makers.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Right now as pumped as I would be for more news of Johnson and other future directors what I’d really love is more info on the projects currently running.

One thing that has me super intrigued is The stone looking Star Wars logo from the presentation. It’s got certain vibe to it that I can’t really put down into words but it’s so different from everything else.

I’d love a title for Taika’s film. Something to feed speculation. With no Celebration this year it feels like quite some time before we get any real juicy news for TV and films. When would we likely get our next big announcement? Comic-con?

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    We’re probably going to be waiting until Celebration next year given Jenkins film isn’t released until 2023. We’ll likely have casting news for The Book of Boba Fett soon but for anything movie-wise we’re looking at a long wait.

PymParticles likes this.
  5. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Giving Peyton Reed a SW trilogy? LOL

Ch. 16 of Mando was good because of the script. Literally any director with a hint of talent would have looked good with what he was given to work with.

6. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Agreed. I remember the sentiment around here when it was revealed he was doing the finale over Famuyiwa or others was met with disappointment. The episode was directed well but the script is what made it special.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Don’t forget about Sporks out

Django Fett, Fin McCool and Sarge like this.
  8. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Sporks Out just combines the plots of Spoons Out and Forks Out.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  9. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    To me, a new GL trilogy is just as probable as a new RJ trilogy, perhaps moreso. Why would we turn over the future of SW to RJ when GL is still alive?

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    Giving one guy a trilogy isn't really the same thing as turning the entire franchise over to him, seeing as there are literally a dozen other projects that he isn't involved with that are in development.

Also, I would love to see Lucas make more, but he's retired, and I hope he is enjoying everything that comes with said retirement. Even more than I am a Star Wars fan, I am a George Lucas fan. I would love it if he did indeed go off and make some of his small art films that he wanted to do after retiring...

Also, I am now suddenly in the mood to revisit THX-1138...

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    He could make SW films post-retirement. He is no longer running a company. He's had since 2012. And maybe he could get over the feelings of betrayal and laugh about it. George has said many things over the years for which he has changed his mind.

EDIT: We can only hope that George would consider coming out of retirement to end the many controversies surrounding SW. I think he could, if he really set his mind to doing so and ignored the critics.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    As we all know George has never made a controversial Star Wars film. :p

13. The PiedPiper of Alderaan

The PiedPiper of Alderaan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 16, 2015
    TLJ was by far the most interesting episode of the ST. It wasnt without its flaws but it was more hit than miss to me, and it's certainly one of the best space opera/fantasy blockbuster i've ever seen. So i'm looking forward to a whole RJ-penned trilogy. But will that happen? I must say i'd be surprised if Disney will take the risk, this would be a controversial move.

Anyway, it's all too hypothetic right now, the tv series and those 2 movies are what's happening. Too soon to consider anything beyond that...

The problem for Disney is that there's no winning formula for SW right now when it comes to movies: if they choose the "play it safe" way, audience will end up getting bored of being fed the same soup again and again. If they try something more "risky", or at least something new, there's always the possibilty the result doesnt work or the audience doesnt adhere to the vision...

14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I absolutely love the Prequels. I love George, and I've been a massive proponent of the Prequels since The Phantom Menace hit theaters. I'll never not love them. To me, Star Wars is, at its core, Lucas' Episodes I-VI. Everything post-Lucas is ancillary to that main narrative.

But this revisionist take, in the wake of the Sequel Trillgy/especially The Last Jedi, that the Prequels are universally loved and weren't controversial (and by extension, that George's Sequel Trilogy outlines wouldn't have been controversial, what with their doubling down on Midi-Chlorians and what have you) is just simply wrong.

I personally would have loved to have seen Lucas' ST. I'm still chomping at the bit to be able to read his outlines in full (please, Lucasfilm, release a big coffee table book or something collecting all of this material!). His ideas about Star Wars (and filmmaking, and mythology) fascinate me to no end. But, that isn't what we got. We got the Abrams/Johnson sequel trilogy and, while I don't care for J.J. Abrams' Star Wars much at all, I do absolutely love The Last Jedi and what Rian Johnson was able to do there, despite the incredibly limited trappings of this era of Star Wars that Abrams had unfortunately established in The Force Awakens.

So yeah, in this post-Lucas era of Star Wars, giving Rian Johnson a trilogy that he is able to directly oversee from beginning to end is an idea that appeals very much to me. Would it appeal to everyone? Absolutely not. But there is such an onslaught of Star Wars coming, with a dozen projects in development for the next few years; it would be silly to think that every single project is going to appeal to every single person. And if the Prequels and The Last Jedi have shown us anything, a little controversy does go a long way in keeping the fanbase engaged and discussing for years on end...

15. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I think Lucas coming back would be the stupidest, most backward-looking decision they could possibly make, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, I love Lucas, he's a personal idol of mine. I love the OT, I respect the PT for its ambition and mostly enjoy it with some caveats, and I also love the original three Indiana Jones movies. He is responsible for some of the foundational movies that defined my childhood, shaped my imagination, and continue to entertain me to this day.

I do not, however, think he would end up making movies that would be less controversial than we've seen thus far, or particularly more acclaimed overall than the PT or KOTC were at the time of their release. If Star Wars is going to remain vital, exciting, and vibrantly alive, it has to depend on new people coming in and adding their voice to the conversation. Star Wars can't continue to be one person's singular story, it has to be a sandbox with room for more than one interpretation. None of the Marvel characters would have endured to the present day if they slavishly adhered to Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's perceptions of them, and Star Trek reached its highest peaks when it was free of Roddenberry's influence.

16. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    On the note of Lucas, though... I so very much would love to see him making films again (outside of Star Wars), if he found the inkling of interest in him to do so post-selling the company. His career became so dictated by Star Wars after 1977, but he's just a fascinating filmmaker in general. I want to know what other ideas he has in him, what those smaller films he always longed to make might be...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Yeah, if he wanted to make weird stuff like his student films, or even THX 1138, I'm all for that. I'd like to see him flex those creartive muscles outside of Star Wars.

18. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Y'all have seen Strange Magic, right? It was like an animated rock opera Midsummer Night's Dream on acid. I liked it.

19. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I actually have not. That's the last real holdover from Lucasfilm from the pre-Disney days, right (barring The Clone Wars, of course)? I'll have to check it out!

20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing Lucas get a project. The chances of it are almost non-existent, but a mini-series wouldn't be bad. Maybe a movie at a time when they were making more movies, and each movie wasn't under a microscope. I don't think bringing him back in a big way to run a trilogy would be any kind of an idea, as it wouldn't work for many reasons, but surely it would be fun to see him do a SW production again, especially given there are such a range of upcoming projects.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This is true, but they'd be controversial for different reasons. Challenging new lore that some fans would reject, and probably the same struggles with actors and performance that he usually has.
    This is possibly true, in theory, but I'm not sure we've actually seen that happen much, yet. Rogue One had elements that were different from Lucas. It's tone was different. But I'm not seeing much of a departure from Lucas, otherwise. Everything Filoni is involved in has a lot of George. Favreau at least has some vision for his characters and Mandalorian lore (with help from Filoni). I definitely don't think the ST added anything new, except the Dyad concept. Honestly, the old "Legends" material took the most risks, and had the wildest ideas, of the non-George Star Wars. Some ideas were more successful than others, but you can't say they weren't swinging for the fences a lot of the time.

I like the idea that the sandbox will keep things new and interesting, but really vision is what Star Wars needs, whether from one person or many. And the sandbox doesn't guarantee vision. We just have to hope someone in there can build castles and not just mounds.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  22. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Only Lucas has the original vision to tie up everything and settle all the controversies. Unfortunately, we will never see the full extent of his artistic vision. And definitely, Lucas could have taken SW much further if he had not gotten bogged down in certain areas. Give the audience space opera but leave out the soap opera.

Sarge likes this.
  23. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    How would Lucas “settle all the controversies”? In what world should anybody reasonably expect that would have been the case following the PT and Indy 4?

24. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    That would only be an ideal world for some fans who followed the EU closely. For example, Lucas could have canonized the Expanded Universe before retiring and selling to Disney. I had hopes that he would do just that right up until 2014. That's just my view. To me, the Prequel Trilogy and Special Edition suggested the Expanded Universe stories were canon, just not on the same level with the SW films. And it was easier because we only had the six films. The television material occupied its own level of canon and could stand on its own with the films. The hierarchy of canon system before 2015 was more intuitive than what we have now.

Lucas' complaints about the Sequel Trilogy were also valid. He made some comments on the lack of world-building. Why add a new trilogy without adding another layer of world-building such as his micro-biotic world with midi-chlorians. And I believe Lucas had some original ideas involving the droids and the Journal of the Whills which never came to fruition.

Why would you neglect the ideas of the original visionary when he is still around? Lucasfilm still maintains the position of neglecting Lucas' ideas. There should be a middle ground where Lucas can have his ideas for SW put through a creative funnel. Some of those ideas could stick.

There was a lot more that Lucas could have given the fans, ideas that were stuck in the back of his mind. Some of those ideas would have helped resolve certain elements of the SW saga which got neglected. Because he started with the middle act, he should have finished with the final act to resolve many of the premises that were in Episode IV. Lucas could still close out the SW saga with episodes 10 through 12 in his old age and resolve any dangling premises or over-arching themes which didn't get adequate attention.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  25. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That includes plenty of assumptions that do not make a whole lot of sense when you take into account who George Lucas is.

Why would he make the EU canon?
    It already was "canon" to Lucasfilm at that point, just not at a level of the movies. Lucas himself didn't consider the EU part of his stories, therefore he wouldn't have declared them to be canon. It's like saying that Jeff Bezos could truly put workers-right on a higher level. Sure he could, but it runs contrary to his believes and/or plans, so why would he?
    That's most definately not something Lucas would have done, which means it cannot be an argument as to how he would have settled controversies.You can't just randomly assign acts to a person. Those acts actually need to be in the plans of the person to be considered something they might have done.

Lucas made some comments about TFA, I don't think that we ever got any word about what he thought about the rest. Anyway, adding another layer in terms of a micro-biotic world and more talk about midichlorians cannot in any way be considered settling controversies either. Those ideas where something that caused a huge rift in the first place. Doubling down on it doesn't magically cause everyone to think it is a great idea.

Simply put, there is no real argument to be made that having Lucas involved would in any way have helped settle any controversies. The situation wouldn't change much at all. You would have fans who like the new stuff also like the ideas Lucas had. Just like you would have those who like the new stuff and who wouldn't have liked what Lucas had in mind, those who don't like the new stuff but would have liked what Lucas had in mind, and also those who don'tt like the new stuff but also wouldn't have liked what Lucas had in mind. You can break that down into even smaller groups if you look at the movies individually.

At best you end up having some people being more contend, at the price of others being less. That's not settling controversies or uniting the fandom, that is merely shifting around who is happy and who isn't.