main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Scribble Pad (Fanfic Writing Discussions)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Jun 18, 2017.

1. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I often have a tendency to play with plot bunnies in my head for hours on end, but procrastinate actually writing anything down.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I am so guilty of this. sometimes I'll have a fully formed fic in my head... but transferring it from my brain to the page is the hardest part.

I had a day that was both mentally and physically exhausting. I would like to write something... anything really just to get my brain in order so I can maybe get some mental peace from all the work stuff ping-ponging around up there. But because it was so physically exhausting I just cant bring myself to sit down and write.

It really sucks.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Then just lie down and think of the story. Just tell it to yourself.
    Maybe that's enough right now.

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Ad my to the club :(

5. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I wish it were that easy and sometimes it is. But sometimes there are just too many thoughts in my mind that it makes it hard to just concentrate on just one thing. Sometimes I just need that physical element of getting words out on a page. (So I ended up listening to an audiobook that I’ve read before - it was enough to keep my brain occupied without giving it more information to digest).

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    If you are going to go to Coruscant, and you have a space ship - where do you park it?

There isn't enough space for the thousands of spaceships to part on the surface of the city planet, so do they just park them in giant, constructed parking lots in space?

Ahh, the weird questions that keep you up late into the night....

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Possebilites:
    * many of the larger ships stay in orbit and what they transport is send down/back by smaller freighters
    * the moon function as a port for many ships that don't have right papers/bribes
    * many of the SW 'ships are not that big so I can see many of them being parked like the freighter we saw Anakin n' Amidala taking in AotC, maybe there is a system where you wait in orbit untill a parking space is avalable
    * could be that many of the megabloks on Coruscant are 50% parking space.
    * while many ships constantly arrive to Coruscant do usually just as many leave, creating a constant shift of parking space - having your own private and permanent spaceship parking spot on Coruscant, that's luxery.

8. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I figure it's fairly classist.
    If you are rich or a Senator you get to use the cool helipad on top of a building, as we saw a lot in the movies.

But those building are ridiculously tall, and the poorer or more illegal you are, the further down you go, negotiating the traffic until you are landing in the Underworld. Like the Martez sisters.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
    devilinthedetails likes this.
  9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Or the other way around depending on the area. SW have enough underground dwelling species for there being areas on Coruscant where the lower levels are the good part of town - many of the spacer species probably also like it there since they don't need to see open sky.

devilinthedetails and GregMcP like this.
  10. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @amidalachick If I hadn't read your post, I never ever would've guessed you struggled with writing. Your Stranger Things fics are totally amazing since they're character driven and give the characters the endings you would want for your RL friends, as they triumph through the struggles and losses.

I also go through periods when I think "what am I going to write?" Am I going to have enough juice to go through this long challenge? That especially applies to year long challenges. For that flexible outlining helps and writing a couple sentences of narrative or dialogue or ideas as soon as they occur so they don't vanish. :p

I find the magnificent challenge "First Draft" a wonderful repository for ideas that are hanging around but feel like they'll never get written. @};-

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I know a lot of people are struggling to write at the moment (myself included) but we aren't alone! I found an article that talks about how professional authors are struggling right now.

Writers blockdown: after a year inside, novelists are struggling to write

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Thanks for sharing that mav. @};-

So... basically people who write to pay the bills literally have to slog through :eek: if they want to eat and those who write "for free" because they're great at it and they enjoy it are having problems. :(

Since we have no control over our external circumstances, unfortunately, this just makes the frustration stronger. Because of that, what could a person locked in that crazy endless loop do to break free and turn writing into the fun /rewarding thing it was originally?

Because as anyone knows, if we waited for the world to change to a conducive environment again, it'd be like, don't hold your breath, you're turning blue! :p

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This oddly makes me feel so much better about not being able to get anything out of my head. I think -like a lot of people - I roll through phases of either being super productive and super creative because my brain wants that distraction and phases where my brain just doesn't have the mental energy to create. I really feel for people who have to be creative for their jobs right now because it's like Lazlo's hierarchy of needs: it's hard to get to that "self-fulfilment"/creative tier when the lower tiers of "relationships" or even "safety" aren't being met.

Ewok Poet, mavjade , pronker and 6 others like this.
  14. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    From what I read, their issues fell into two broad categories:

• Their home and work space being overcrowded and boundaries blurred, like when the kids are interrupting with demands and questions.

• Not being able to use things like overheard conversations on the bus/train, nonverbals of a couple in a restaurant, jokes and interactions amongst friends as jumping off points for plot.

15. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I can definitely relate to the feeling of writing and inspiration for writing suffering during these times of pandemic and isolation. Early on in the pandemic and quarantine, I didn't feel that my writing was affected so much, and in some ways with working from home and not having as many other activities to compete with writing, I found myself writing more, but the isolation and repetitiveness of my days and activities plus the stress of the pandemic itself, I feel like my writing has been impacted more and more. Like ideas will pinball around in my head, and I'll want to write them down, but struggle to find the words. Or I'll pull up a document, stare at the blank white screen, and be like, "I don't think I want to write after all. Better just surf the web instead." Or all just binge watch Netflix instead because that is easier than writing my own stories even if it is less satisfying creatively.

I think the biggest thing missing for me might be the sort of events that would normally serve as inspiration for my writing that occur in life. A vacation. A trip to a museum. That kind of thing just seems to spark my creativity and get me motivated to write. Because when I think of the times that I have felt very motivated to write in the pandemic, it has been around a change of season or something that tends to give my muse a kick in the pants.

I suppose in a way it is natural that the pandemic and the isolation would change our writing because its changing our entire world in ways we couldn't have predicted. So I guess that we have to try to be forgiving and understanding with ourselves when our muses take another unscheduled leave of absence or our inspiration evaporates on us.

Perhaps the best thought that I have is just trying to keep writing feeling as "fresh" as possible. Maybe that means digging through the Internet for challenges you never wrote for. Maybe that means listening to a new song or a new artist to see if the music can inspire anything. Maybe that means trying to write with new characters or in new fandoms or with new romantic pairings. Maybe it means experimenting with AUs or switching up the tense that you write in. Maybe anything that sort of breaks that cycle of monotony and encourages a feeling of something different, something invigorating is helpful.

But ultimately I think we all can just consider giving our inner writer a hug when we struggle right now, because these are tough times.

I think out of these tough times, we'll eventually write some gems, but on the road to writing those gems, we'll probably find ourselves binge watching Netflix or staring at blank screens wondering if we'll ever actually write anything again. And, of course we will, because, in the end, we do love writing even if we don't always feel inspired.

(Socially Distant) Hugs to everyone as we go through this together (virtually)[:D]

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Yeah. I definitely agree on everything. Even though there was a lot of anxiety early on, there also was this element of "Oh! Now I have time to work on fics all day long and not feel guilty about it because I cant leave the house anyway." I was surprisingly productive in those early days because I was working on things I had already been inspired to write or experimenting with writing stuff I had put off for a long time because I just never had the time to do.

But now that life has pretty effectively transitioned onto all online, time we have to just "kill" is less and less - which is a good thing, but - at least for me - I'm back to just writing in my spare time when I have the energy. Plus - yeah, the lack of inspiration from any outside sources really means all my ideas feel stale. Combined with the mental exhaustion, depression, and all that.

Its totally understandable why writers are struggling and why we need to be a bit nicer to ourselves. I'm all for trying to find new fresh ideas through challenges or whatever... but I'm also just a big fan of just letting the brain chill and just consuming all the brainless netflix binging.

I've recently stared a new story (its more like a story told through vignettes). It's brainless, it's plotless, it has almost zero physical description (something I really struggle with). It, by all my personal standards, sucks in terms of its "literary value". But I'm getting some sort of creative outlet which is nice. I'm just trying to convinced myself to ignore how bad it is and just see where the story takes me.

17. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard Chosen One star 4

Nov 22, 1999
    It keeps getting harder for me to write. Some of you may know that my daughter is autistic; we’ve been dealing with issues of increasing anxiety and physical aggression at home and at school for almost a year now. When I have the time to sit down, I feel like I have to be hyper vigilant for the Next Bad Thing to happen and that makes it almost impossible to relax enough to be creative. And even in the moments when I used to be able to plan stories (like when I’m laying in bed at night), I can’t seem to get into the headspace where I can think of the mishaps of Jedi kids and the dating dilemmas of teen!drama!Mando. I almost feel guilty thinking about such things when I’ve got so much going on—like it’s all kind of pointless. And I’m not really sure why I’m even posting this except to get these feelings off my chest...

18. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    That's hard and I'm sorry. It really sucks. We are all going through frustrating and anxious times and it's hard when we cant even turn to our outlets. And sometimes all you can do is try to rant and get things off your chest.

I dont want to suggest random things if you dont want that, but I've recently tried guided meditation (you can find a bunch on Spotify and I'm sure theres loads on YouTube... but ads). It surprisingly helped quiet and focus my mind long enough for me to get out a blog post last night and I'm hoping if I keep at it, it might 'lube' some creative gears in my head.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Big hugs, @Raissa Baiard. [:D]I think given the circumstances that you describe that it is perfectly understandable that you find it difficult to relax enough to be creative. I'm sorry to hear that you feel almost guilty thinking about fanfic things with everything going on, but I believe that you truly don't have anything to feel guilty about either way. If you're too stressed to relax enough to be creative, I'd say that is definitely understandable with everything on your plate, and if you do find yourself taking some comfort and refuge in fanfic related thoughts from time to time, I'd say that is totally understandable as well. Sometimes we've got to do whatever we have to do in order to cope as writers and more importantly as people. Fanfic and writing might be a valuable part of coping at times, but at other times there might not be the energy, the strength, or the time for it, and all of that is understandable and natural I think.

20. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I sympathise, too. @};-

And being stressed enough to be creative is...definitely a thing. Feeling guilty of having any kind of fun, even.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  21. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    Two random thoughts that may or may not inspire discussion:

1. The changing of winter into spring (or at least the beginning of the change of winter into spring) where I live seems to have been good for kickstarting my muse. The increasing hours of sunlight. The wind in my face. The weather that is less gray and that makes it more appealing to go on a walk outside definitely seems to do wonders for giving me a little more inspiration to want to write. I don't know if long winters make my muse sort of hibernate, haha. Does anyone else feel their muse get a kickstart with changing seasons and particularly with spring?

2. I've been feeling inspired to write or at least try to write more mush lately (or what passes for mush with me) and I feel like that has helped my muse. I think for awhile during the pandemic I was being inspired to write some really heavy stuff and that was sort of draining especially on top of the stress of the pandemic. So sort of writing a bit more fluff and mush again seems to have helped writing feel a bit more like a refuge for me and seems to have given me a bit more energy to tackle some of the tough stuff. Has anyone else found their writing sort of reinvigorated just by writing in a genre they haven't written in for awhile?

So, bottom line, change may be good for my muse. Along with mush, fluff, and spring. :D

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I can relate. My muse and general productivity is starting to peak out after weeks of just being a grump. Not sure if it's the transition to spring or the general roller coaster ride of my mental health these days, but the warmer weather and more sunshine certainly doesn't hurt! Usually my muse is most active in the winter (when there's little else to do) and takes a vacation once summer starts when there's other things to do, but we shall see what this Spring has in store.

I dont know if I can relate on the mush stuff. My muse has had like 15 different reactions to the external situation. Right now it just wants just brainless plots. I'm working on some comedy and some family drama stuff. Not exactly classical mush, but similar sector I guess.

23. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I can't relate to the mush thing at all, but that has been an issue for a couple of years for me now. I expected 2020 and being apart from real-life mush, in lack of a better word for a platonic thing with romantic undertones, would make me crave content of that kind in general or write something lovey-dovey. On the contrary - I became angrier. And I know, spring = love, but I only want real-life mush. Not even wish fulfilment type of stuff would help. Nothing.

The other thing is relatable, yes. And annoying, since the warmer part of the year should be spent outside, given that the rest of the year is the worst for depression, anxiety and just feeling generally hopeless.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    @devilinthedetails -- Great discussion questions.

1. I don't think the change in seasons helps but I do think that reading great SW content DOES! Both in fanfiction and happily in profiction, I have been inspired behind some great plots and likeable characters.

2. As for mush, [face_laugh] I'm always up for that, in any shape or form, between couples, between family members, amongst friends. :) :D The fluffier and sunbeamier the better. :D

25. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    In the past few (sunny, clear-skied, noticeably longer daylight) days I've written more than I have since before Christmas. Nothing else has changed, so I think there's definitely something to this. I guess time will tell!

I tried experimenting with some different genres back in the fall, and it helped for a while but after that not so much. Right now I'm just sticking with simple, familiar things - which means mush and fluff because I live for all that. :p