main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Your top 10 moments from the Skywalker Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Giovs, Mar 2, 2020.

1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    In order of appearance:

Duel of the Fates
    Geonosis arena battle
    Palpatine’s Darth Plagueis story
    Palpatine v Mace/Anakin’s turn
    Binary sunset
    Yoda lifts the X-Wing
    “No, I am your father.”
    Vader v Luke on DS2
    Han’s death
    Luke’s hologram on Crait

2. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    These are not in any particular order. There are so many others that I could rank with these, but I had to pick ten so I went with this. I'm not including R1 just for ease of picking.

Binary sunset ANH

Luke igniting the lightsaber for the first time ANH (I know it's nothing, but the first time I heard that sound, come on, too cool, plus it's such a cheerful, casual worldbuilding scene and I dig that)

Han's return + Luke's miracle shot ANH

Han frozen ESB

Luke v Vader/I am your father + Luke hanging from antennae and calling Leia ESB

Sheev v Luke v Vader RotJ

Duel of the Fates TPM

Wedding shot AotC

Anakin betrays Mace and frees Sheev RotS

Vader and Sheev staring at Death Star RotS

Last edited: May 3, 2020
    Chancellor Yoda and Deliveranze like this.
  3. someoneinpassing

someoneinpassing Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2019
    Here are my top 10; any one of my top 4 could lay a legitimate claim to being my #1.
    1. Yoda raises the X-Wing (ESB) - "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." Yoda explaining the Force. Luke trying and failing to lift the x-wing. R2's despair. Luke going off to sulk in the corner. Yoda taking a deep breath and going to work. "I ... I don't believe it." "That is why you fail." I've watched this scene for over 30 years and it still gives me chills every single time.
    2. The Asteroid Field (ESB) - Humor, tension, action, flirting, music, all rolled up into one perfect combination. I love how Han veers between brash arrogance ("Oh yeah, watch this!")("Well we can still outmaneuver them!") and honest assessments ("I think we're in trouble ... we're in trouble!"). "Oh this is suicide!"
    3. Vader taunts Luke ... Vader saves Luke (ROTJ) - The buildups in this scene are almost unbearable. First, when Vader is taunting Luke (and James Earl Jones makes "sisssster" sound like a 3-syllable word) ... and Luke loses it, and the choir goes nuts. Then when Luke is pleading ("Father, please!"), and you see the wheels turning in Vader's head behind his faceless mask, and the music is keeps ratcheting higher, and higher ... until finally Anakin (you realize at that moment it's no longer Vader) makes his (silent) sacrifice to save his son.
    4. Binary Sunset (ANH) - Wordless poetry.
    5. Luke/Vader Cloud City lightsaber fight (ESB) - Luke extends his lightsaber quickly. Vader extends his slowly; we see the tip of it right in front of Luke's face. Later, Vader towers over Luke in the hallway as Vader presses the attack. And of course, the great reveal. One thing I didn't really appreciate when I was younger was how much melancholy there was in Vader imploring Luke to join him; in particular, the line "we can end this destructive conflict" is particularly emotional; it almost has a double meaning, referring not just to the conflict between the Empire and the Rebellion, but also the conflict within Vader himself and within the Skywalker family. Although I am not a big fan of the prequels, I will say that the fact that Anakin lost Padme in ROTS gives this scene added emotional weight for me (not that it lacked anything at all, mind you) - Anakin already lost his wife; he doesn't want to also lose his son.
    6. Carbonite freezing scene (ESB) - so much to love about this scene. Vader striding into the scene. Lando's regret. I love you / I know. The smoke revealing Vader's mask after Han is frozen. But the dialogue between Han and Chewie is particularly heartbreaking - "Chewie, this won't help me. Save your strength, there'll be another time. The princess ... you have to take care of her."
    7. Battle of Hoth (ESB) - from Vader playing HR Director, to Luke leading the speeder attack, to Han, Leia, and C3PO escaping, there is so much going in this scene. Love it.
    8. Battle of Yavin (ANH) - I love the "workplace banter" ("Look at the size of that thing! / Cut the chatter, Red Two!"), Biggs's sacrifice, Luke's hesitance/resolve when Obi-Wan implores him to use the Force, and then the Falcon coming in at the last minute. Again, just a great buildup and payoff.
    9. Luke and Vader on Endor (ROTJ) - such a beautiful, quiet scene. Especially at the end, right after Luke says, "then my father is truly dead" and is taken away, you see Vader lean almost imperceptibly on the railing, and the camera lingers on him for just a little longer, underscoring the conflict within him.
    10. Ewok steals speeder bike (ROTJ) - YMMV on the Ewoks; I have no problem with them. Whenever I watch this scene, and see the Ewok hang on for dear life, I get a big, silly grin on my face.

4. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Top ten moments for me in order of appearance. One from each main film
    1. Duel of the fates
    2. The Jedi surrounded/battle of geo
    3. Order 66 and birth of empire
    4. Vader in the hallway (R1)(Top spot)
    5. Opening chase (the next scene)
    6. Luke Vs Vader/father
    7. Battle of Endor..all 3 parts of it
    8. Kylo kills Han
    9. Throne room.
    10. Kylo and Han on Endor

Honourable mention and actually nearly number one spots
    ..sarlacc pit
    Millennium falcon escaping Hoth
    Yoda death scene..
    Obi wan tells Luke about his father..my favourite dialogue in the entire story

Last edited: May 4, 2020
  5. Bob Effette

Bob Effette Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2015
    1. Yoda’s speech.
    “Size matters not. Look at me, judge me by my size do you? And well you should not, for my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us, and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Between you, me, the tree, the rock. Everywhere, yes. Even between the land, and the ship”

I believe that this dialogue, delivered by a Frank Oz holding a green hand puppet, is actually the most profound of the entire saga. The “luminous beings” bit, holy smokes, that is just beautiful. No wonder people got on board with the Force concept.

2. Vader vs Luke (The Empire Strikes Back)
    Epic from the moment that door slams shut on Artoo, and Luke is lifted quickly up into that Carbon Freeze chamber, it is as if he has arrived in hell. The orange lighting, the hum and steam coming from that awful machine, and there waiting for him, the devil himself.

3. Yoda lifts the X-Wing
    That whole sequence, with the music, the set that looks as if it is on a stage but which in fact gives it a more dream-like quality. Just incredible.

4. Carbon Freeze
    Terrifying. The design of the Carbonite Block is just so awesome. It is lit beautifully in the carbon freeze chamber, and captures Han’s features in that last defiant pose.

5. Cloud City
    Art deco beauty with a sense of dread. I love the designs here, because they stick close to McQuarrie’s paintings.

6. Kylo Ren’s blaster deflection, Takodana
    Whatever else is said about this guy, his double lightsaber twirl on Takodana was ace. His black costume offset against the trees looks awesome.

[​IMG]

7. Luke arrives at Jabba’s palace
    The door opens, the light spills down the hallway, and Luke Skywalker, hooded and robed, saunters in like a boss.

8. Finding Luke Skywalker
    Both frustrating and exhilarating fan service in equal measure. Luke’s reveal after 30 years in The Force Awakens is still a top moment.

9. The Jedi returns
    “You were right. You were right about me. Tell your sister, you were right” <sniff>

10. Darth Maul arrives on Tattooine
    Looking cool as, and flying the third best ship in the entire saga

Last edited: May 4, 2020
    Chancellor Yoda likes this.
  6. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016
    I'll pick one from each film and a bonus:

I - Qui-Gonn and Obi-Wan fight Maul. From Maul firing up his duel blade sabre through the fight set against John Williams' best three minutes work.

II - Dooku and Yoda's Force contest. "Much to learn you still have."

III - Obi-wan fights Vader. The mesmerising fight itself, the setting, the stakes, the musical backdrop. Stunning.

IV - Luke and the twin sunset as the Force Theme swells.

V - Yoda lifting the X-Wing. Still get goosebumps.

VI - Luke tossing the sabre and becoming a Jedi

VII - Meeting Luke. I remember my heart beating out of my chest as he turned around.

VIII - Luke walking through the door of the mine on Crait. Epic moment with the music, the flames and the walkers in the distance as Luke strides through.

IX - Madly in love with Babu Frik, especially when he cheers as they get the message out of Threepio, but I'll pick Ben and Han. For "Dad" especially, but I thought it worked with Han being a memory of Ben's the way they worked in the dialogue from the previous time they spoke.

Bonus: Luke meeting Obi-Wan for the first time. The first example of Force healing?

Awushi Awere likes this.
  7. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Gosh dang it Filoni! Now I need to update this list because there's at least 2 or 3 moments in Siege of Mandalore that could make the cut!!!

8. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    Episode I - Obi-Wan & Qui-Gon versus Darth Maul (Duel of the Fates)
    Episode II - Anakin & Padme married in secrecy on Naboo.
    Episode III - “Execute Order 66”

Episode IV - “Great shot kid that was one in a million”
    Episode V - “I love you... I know”
    Episode VI - “ Master Yoda I need to know..... you’re father he is”

Episode VII - Kylo Ren versus Rey (Starkiller Base Forest)

Episode VIII - “ You think you can turn him. Pathetic child. I cannot be betrayed. I cannot be beaten. I see his mind. I see his every intent. Yes. I see him turning the lightsaber to strike true. [Without Snoke knowing, Kylo uses the force to face Rey's lightsaber toward him] And now, foolish child, he ignites it and kills his true enemy! [Rey's lightsaber ignites and Snoke is cut in half]

Episode IX: “ Because he saw what you would become. You don't just have power. You have his power. You're his granddaughter. You are a Palpatine. My mother was the daughter of Vader. Your father was the son of the Emperor. What Palpatine doesn't know is we're a dyad in the Force, Rey. Two that are one. We'll kill him together and take the throne. You know what you need to do. You know.”

9. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    1. padme's (and anakin's) ruminations, 3
    2. vader turns on sidious to save luke, 6
    3. ren kills snoke, 8
    4. anakin runs back to shmi to say goodbye, 1
    5. falcon appears on crait, 8
    6. luke and leia connect through the force, 5
    7. han returns to save/help luke, 4
    8. vader crying on the mustafar platforms after killing the separatist leadership, 3
    9. vader marches on the temple, 3
    10. two ren/han scenes in 7 and 9

10. Darthvader1975

Darthvader1975 Jedi Knight star 3

May 2, 2020
    Okay. My top 10 from 10 to 1

10 speeder bike chase on endor episode 6
    9 Han annoys threepio in the ewok village episode 6
    8 yoda fights r2 for food in dagobah episode 5
    7 han and chewie reunited with the falcon episode 7
    6 vader chokes ozzel episode 5
    5 death star trench run episode 4
    4 rey and ren fight the Royal guards in snokes throne room episode 8
    3 vader v luke episode 6
    2 jabba sail barge fight episode 6

And number 1 luke raises the x wing from the water for rey in episode 9.

11. Sean F

Sean F Jedi Knight

Dec 30, 2013
    1) Vader Turning to kill the emperor in ROTJ
    2) Yoda Raising the X-wing TESB
    3) Old Ben Kenobi's voice instructing Luke to use the force at the end of ANH
    4) When Poe loses hope and the entire galaxy shows up TROS
    5) Vader revealing that he is Luke's father TESB
    6) The The scene where Rey Skywalker crosses the Lightsabers as says that she is all the Jedi TROS
    7) When Young Anakin run back to his mother one last time before leaving TPM
    8) Vader Getting his Helmet lowered onto his head for the first time ROTS
    9) Spirit Yoda and Old Master Luke Discussion By the fire TLJ
    10) Yoda's arrival on Genosis AOTC

Jordan1Kenobi likes this.
  12. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    Love the mix from all the films in this list

13. Aah Fisto

Aah Fisto Jedi Knight star 2

May 30, 2020
    Well can I just start off by saying that this was incredibly difficult to even narrow down to ten... so they aren’t in order as that would take me forever to decide [face_laugh]

1) TPM - Qui Gon cutting through the blast doors
    [​IMG]

I don’t know what it is about this scene. But it just gets me every time. This was the first film that was produced in my lifetime, we finally got to see these all powerful Jedi that Obi Wan referred to back when ANH was released. It just makes the Jedi come across as so powerful

2) TPM - Duel of Fates
    [​IMG]
    What can I say that hasn’t been said already ? A truly amazing battle. The hangar doors opening to reveal Maul, the music, Maul lighting both sides of his lightsaber, the iconic red blue and green in every shot. Simply tremendous. Very emotional when Qui Gon dies and Kenobi is the first person to strike a sith down for 1000 years (or so he thinks)

3) ROTS - Padme’s ruminations
    [​IMG]
    The most hauntingly powerful scene in the whole saga. Anakin’s inner turmoil, Padme gazing across coruscant. I watch this now and think about the happenings of siege of mandalore and it makes it even more powerful.

4) ROTS - Order 66
    [​IMG]
    Again.. there’s not much more to be said. A chilling scene where we see the slowly turning tide of the war come crashing down against the Jedi. Plo Koon is one of my favourite Jedi, Ki Adi’s scene is particularly heart wrenching. TCW only enhanced this montage further as we now think of Rex turning on Ahsoka and the eerie music in that episode. Beautiful music as always

5) ROTS - Vader/Obi Wan Duel
    [​IMG]
    The culmination of the trilogy. This incredible, heart wrenching, emotional, passionate battle between padawan and master. The fight scene is brilliant itself, but the cinematography at play, the music, the lines from Ewan and Hayden were perfect. There’s so much to this scene that I could wax lyrical about. Makes the reunion in ANH all the better

6) ROTS - Padme’s funeral
    [​IMG]
    One of the most beautiful scenes I’ve seen in any film. Tragic, dark, eerie yet stunning

7) ANH - Binary Sunset
    [​IMG]
    Beautiful. After the emotional journey we’ve been through with 1,2 and 3 at this point, the score from John Williams and this shot brings a tear to my every single time. We really know at this point that we’ve got ourselves A New Hope in the galaxy.

8) ESB - Luke. I am your father!
    [​IMG]
    Quite possibly the most famous movie moment of all time. I’m so glad that I was able to watch 4,5 and 6 before the prequels came out, as now I’ve had the joy of getting the shock twist but I can now watch it as a whole tragedy saga even though we know the twist.

9) ROTJ - Anakin Redeemed
    [​IMG]
    The culmination of the whole saga. The true ending of the Skywalker Saga. Through the emotional journey we’ve been through with Anakin via 1,2,3 and seven seasons of TCW. Seeing his face again during twilight of the apprentice. How we’ve all seen the good and amazing Jedi knight he once was, the conflict we can sense in him throughout ROTJ, the tension building and building as Palpatine ejects force lightning onto his son. And then it happens.. SNAP! The moment we’ve all been waiting for and one of the most rewarding and relieving moments in a film I’ve ever seen, Anakin is redeemed and has brought balance to the force.

10) ROTJ - Celebration/ Vader burning

Okay so this one is a bit of a two parter.. but I’ve always just classed this as one scene
    [​IMG]
    Vader’s suit burning. Luke giving his father a proper Jedi send off, mirroring the end of episode 1 when Anakin watched on as Qui Gon (his potential father figure) burned.

[​IMG]
    And here they are. Stood together as one again. Anakin is the good Jedi we once saw him as, back alongside his master and master Yoda. A beautiful scene that just makes you so thankful you’ve stuck along the journey of these films and followed the tragic fall of Anakin Skywalker to the dark side and his redemption.

Then the celebrations in general. Seeing planets far and wide across the galaxy celebrating and the beautiful music just makes me tear up every time. A perfect ending to this tremendous saga.

I will give special mentions to:
    - Battle of Geonosis
    - Palps/Organa and other senators looking over clone army from the balcony
    - ANH medal ceremony
    - Luke hanging from Bespin
    - Luke and Vader fight ESB
    - Luke and Vader fight ROTJ
    - Jedi speak to Rey ( as much as I dislike the film it was cool hearing some of my favourite Jedi from the animations on the big screen in Ahsoka and Kanan)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    KaleeshFett, Samnz and Deliveranze like this.
  14. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    This is such a good thread idea! Enjoying reading everyone's lists, looking forward to posting my own after I finish my last uni assignment for the semester.

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  15. Martin Hoffmann

Martin Hoffmann Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2020
    My Top 10 Moments:

1. Luke doesn't kill his father Darth Vader
    2. Darth Vader kills the Emperor
    3. Darth Vader tells Luke: I'm your father.
    4. Anakin turns agianst Mace Windu
    5. Order66 agianst the Jedi
    6. Rey kills the Emperor
    7. The first Kiss between Padme and Anakin
    8. First Fight between Rey and Kylo Ren in the snow
    9. Kylo Ren kills Han Solo
    10. Luke Skywalker destorys the first death star

16. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    going to do mine in chronological order
    1. Are you an angel?
    2. jedi Surrounded
    3. Mustafar/Vader suit
    4. Vader in the hallway
    5. you fought in the clone wars?
    6. duel /iam your father
    7. duel/Vader unmasked
    8. kylo kills Han
    9. Luke and Kylo on Crait
    0. death star duel Leia dies
    or palps saying the endof story of skywalker

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  17. bb8isno1

bb8isno1 Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 29, 2020
    1. Binary Sunset - Still feel the emotional impact of the scene even after 44 years
    2 Opening Scene of ANH - Amazed by it 77 still feel the same today
    3 I am your father - What else to say one of the biggest film twists ever
    4. Emperors Throne Room - Amazing performances by MH IM and DP JEJ
    5. Obi Wan vs Anakin - Waited 20 + years to see this didnt dissapoint
    6. The Start of the Clone Wars - Wondered since Obi Wan mentioned them in ANH what they were like
    7. Anakins Turn - Always wanted to know how Anakin turned.
    8. Vader let loose on the Rebels - My favourite scene in my favourite film in Disney Era
    9. Chewie were home - So good to see a familar faces again
    10 Han speaking to Kylo/Ben on Death Star - Nice send off for Han

For me there are too many to mention over the course of all 11 films

18. SmokeMonster4815162342

SmokeMonster4815162342 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2015
    1. Qui Gon stickin the lightsaber in the door
    2. Pod-racing
    3. Obiwan vs Maul
    4. Anakin’s defeat/burning
    5. Luke’s green lightsaber on the barge
    6. Luke vs Vader round 2
    7. Luke seeing the three ghosts
    8. Kylo stopping the blaster shot
    9. Luke force projection
    10. Han/Ben on Endor

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe that planet was Kef Bir.

This is a tough one. Here’s my rough list, susceptible to change:

1. Vader dunking Sheev
    2. Guess who daddy is
    3. Yoda lifting Luke’s X-Wing
    4. DS1 explosion
    5. Han/Ben on DS2
    6. Luke punking Kylo
    7. Snoke’s surprise massage
    8. Anakin/Padme sad-facing on Coruscant
    9. The Holdo Maneuver
    10. Order 66

Honorable mentions: Battledroids unfolding, Mace announcing his presence on Geonosis, Palps at the opera, Palps tossing the Galactic Senate at Yoda, Bail’s sweet pad, Han’s speaker phone improv, Obi-Wan’s “death”, 3PO interrupting Solo’s moves on Leia, “I love you” “I know”, barge explosion, Wicket’s slingshot fail, B8’s cigarette lighter approval, Rey punking the Craigtrooper (TFA), Rey punking the stonertroopers (TROS)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  20. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    1. "No, I am your father.''
    2. Very close second, the return of Anakin Skywalker,
    3. Luke blowing up the 1st Death Star.
    4. "Strike me down and I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.''
    5. The boarding of Tantive IV.
    6. "You rebel scum, aaaggghhh''
    7. The dark side cave on Dagobah.
    8. Yodas death.
    9. Gold leader getting all his Y-wing pilots killed. "Stay on target''
    10. Jett Porkins couldn't hold it.