main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

The Fanfiction Interview Thread - Current Interview: Vehn

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by devilinthedetails , Feb 6, 2020.

1. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    Presumably we’re talking romantic/sexual pairings here, in which case, I honestly have no answers to these. I’m not much of a romance fan; usually I’m sitting there muttering, “Wait, you’re really going to give it all up for that person?! Seriously, you could do better,” followed by any or all of: “Finish your education. Put your money in a savings account. Get a job. Hire someone to do [whatever]. Learn to do [whatever] yourself.”

I though the EU “Legends” books did a better job with the Leia/Han romance and marriage than the movies did. Padme/Anakin was a massive train wreck (and one of the main reasons I’ve only seen Revenge of the Sith once and never again). In Star Wars: Rebels, I though the Hera/Kanen romance was done reasonably well, but that was large part because it was low-key and a subplot over four seasons of the show.

Sorry, folks. I know romance is super popular and lots of people like it, but it's just not for me. If I’m going to read Star Wars romance, I will re-read Findswoman’s and Raissa Baiard's Lasan stories.

2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    What now Legend non-jedi, non-sith Force tradition would you like to see in the new EU and why?

What, now Legend, non-humans species that have never gotten any real description would you like to know more about?

Which one/s of the new non-human races we have seen in the ST and the NEU would you like to know more about?

Which background character/s in the ST deserve to get his/her story told?

I think that's part of the idea for their romance.

3. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    @Gamiel

What now Legend non-jedi, non-sith Force tradition would you like to see in the new EU and why?
    The Nuns of G'aav'aar'oon. It’s an actual religious order, made up entirely of Force-sensitive female Gamorreans. They’ve set up a convent on the G'aav'aar'oon asteroid, where they heal the sick and injured, apparently by using the asteroid’s capacity as a Force-focus. Aside from the fact that I have an active spiritual life and this idea appeals to me, the thought of a religion order made up of female Gamorreans just defies Star Wars convention. (For another Gamorrean who defies convention, I recommend Chyntuk’s The Life and Times of the Dancing Gamorrean.)

What, now Legend, non-humans species that have never gotten any real description would you like to know more about? The Mriss, an avian species from the planet Mrisst. They’re apparently know for being scholars and scientists, as well as being outspoken about their “radical” political views. Their homeworld boasted several universities; during Imperial rule, many were forced to leave Mrisst either to serve as wandering scholars or to work for the Empire.

Which one/s of the new non-human races we have seen in the ST and the NEU would you like to know more about? The Aki-Aki, introduced in The Rise of Skywalker.

Which background character/s in the ST deserve to get his/her story told? Maz Kanata. She needs an ongoing series on Disney+. Maz is older than Yoda, involved with all sorts of shady characters, collects objects with great historical and/or monetary value, and has the nickname “The Pirate Queen.” Plus: female non-human. What’s not to love?

Also want to see more of Babu Frik.

~*~*~*~​

As I understand it, each interviewee gets two weeks to answer questions, so this is my last day to do that on this thread. I want to thank everyone for asking questions and indulging me. ;) I hope folks received satisfactory answers, as well as some useful book recommendations (librarians live for that sort of thing).

Next up should be [*checks list*] amidalachick. I hope she gets as many good questions as I did!

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Favourite kind/s of world/s or environment/s in science-fiction media?

Least favoured kind/s of world/s or environment/s in science-fiction media?

We know that many of SW's non-humans can be described as a humanised version of an Earth animal (cats are really overrepresented) and I was wondering what Earth animal/s would you like to see being turned into SW's non-humans? And why?

What non-SW but Disney created/owned non-humans would you like to see in SW?

What non-SW non-humans that are in the public domain would you like to see in SW?

5. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    @Gamiel

Underwater, either directly inhabited by intelligent beings or as the environment outside a habitat.

Forest/arboreal. The action can either take place in the canopy or on the ground.

Least favoured kind/s of world/s or environment/s in science-fiction media? Desert planets seem to be a dime a dozen in science fiction.

We know that many of SW's non-humans can be described as a humanised version of an Earth animal (cats are really overrepresented) and I was wondering what Earth animal/s would you like to see being turned into SW's non-humans? And why? An octopus. You know, an actual being with eight arms and suckered tentacles, needing a water environment to survive (most of the time, at least). I’m curious to see what their civilization would look like and how they would interact with other species outside of a water environment. Protective suit? How would it work? How do these beings manage without opposable thumbs? Do the suckers on the tentacles have the same dexterity as fingers? Do they achieve space flight on their own, or hitch rides with other species? They’re just so physically different from humans and nearly human beings.

Book recommendation: The Soul of an Octopus, by Sy Montgomery. The author explores the personalities, emotional responses, and intelligence of several different octopuses over the course of several years.

What non-SW but Disney created/owned non-humans would you like to see in SW? Baymax, from Big Hero Six. (No, really, this could work… I think.)

Anyone who wants that as a fanfic prompt, it's yours with my blessing. Send me the link when you publish it, please.

What non-SW non-humans that are in the public domain would you like to see in SW? Pretty much any Earth creature falls outside the public domain rules, I suppose. However, if you’re looking for specific types of characters in human-created published works, that would mean someone from something published prior to 1923 (in the US.)

Many of L. Frank Baum’s Oz books are now in the public domain, and any number of characters there would fit into the GFFA in some form. The Glass Cat, for example, or the Tin Woodsman.

Little Fuzzy, from the series by H. Beam Piper. Just another small, furry alien….

Tars Tarkas, from A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Oh, can we agree on this.

Cool.

Agree. I'm actually a bit disappointed that Disney have not used the Tarks as background non-humans in SW, they do afterall already have the special effects for them.

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Thank you to @Seldes_Katne for an insightful interview complete with book recommendations:)

Next up we have the lovely @amidalachick so please give her a warm welcome=D=

@amidalachick:

1. What is your favorite part of the writing process(brainstorming, editing, etc.)?

2. What made you decide to start writing fanfiction?

3. If you could meet any famous person from human history on Earth, who would it be and why?

4. If you could meet any Star Wars character, who would it be and why?

5. What are your favorite genres of music and singers?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

We know that many of SW's non-humans can be described as a humanised version of an Earth animal (cats are really overrepresented) and I was wondering what Earth animal/s would you like to see being turned into SW's non-humans? And why?

What non-SW non-humans that are in the public domain would you like to see in SW?

9. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Forgot to ad: I have read the X-wing TPB where they spend the whole issue on Mrisst, if you have not read it do I recommend it.

10. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Standard Cat Questions:
    Do you think cats should wear cute hats? Why or Why not?

Who in SW (any period) do you think is more of a cat or a dog person and why?

What do you think of Millicent the cat? Should she get her own Disney spin-off? Do you think that orange loth-cat in the Mandalorian was actually her great grandparent?

Regular questions:
    Favourite Simpsons/and or Family Guy episode?

As a fellow Canadian, what's your opinion on buses and their 'Sorry not in Service" message?

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @amidalachick --

Favorite SW character(s) and why?

Favorite culture in SW?

What Jedi skill/talent would you most like to have?

Favorite droid?

Favorite sweet snack?

Favorite topping for waffles/pancakes?
    Favorite burger topping?

12. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    @devilinthedetails

Thank you so much for interviewing me and for hosting all these awesome interviews! :)

1. What is your favorite part of the writing process(brainstorming, editing, etc.)?

The first draft stage. Just getting an idea written down, out of my head into actual words. I also tend to daydream a lot and think about my stories while I'm doing other things, so sometimes I'll have something specific in mind and it ends up staying close to that. But sometimes I'll end up with a completely different fic than what I envisioned, and that's always fun. :D

2. What made you decide to start writing fanfiction?

I don't think it was ever really a conscious decision. As far back as kindergarten or grade 1, I remember writing "Sleeping Beauty" in my own words and my teacher binding it to make a little book out of it. When I got a little older I wrote terrible Thoroughbred and Saddle Club stories.

Then I got into Star Wars and started writing terrible stories for it. :p Star Wars was the fandom where I discovered there was a word - "fanfiction" - for these stories. It was also where I discovered other people did the same thing, that there were entire communities of people writing stories about the characters and fandoms they loved.

Even now, I never intentionally think oh I like this thing, I'm going to write for it. It's more a combination of 'I love these characters and this world and I can't stop thinking about them and I need more' and 'CANON WHAT'S THAT THEY ALL LIVED HAPPILY EVER AFTER WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT', and then sometimes I write it down. :p

3. If you could meet any famous person from human history on Earth, who would it be and why?

Oh, this is a tough one! But I'm going to go with Amelia Earhart. She was a childhood hero of mine, and I'd love a chance to chat with her.

Also, if anyone is interested in aviation and strong, trailblazing women Fly Girls by Keith O'Brien is an awesome nonfiction book about Amelia Earhart and other early female pilots. These women were so talented and achieved so much, but I'd never heard of them until I read this. It's a great read!

4. If you could meet any Star Wars character, who would it be and why?

Another tough one! But I'm going to say Luke. He'd have a lot of great stories, and I feel like he'd be able to share a lot of wisdom about keeping hope and believing in something when it doesn't seem like there's much left to believe in.

5. What are your favorite genres of music and singers?

Bruce Springsteen. [face_love]:p

I can't really pick a favorite. I listen to almost everything, although my go-to genres are classic rock and 90s country. I just love music. [face_love]

@Gamiel

Deserts, forests - basically typical Earthlike environments. Not very interesting, I know. :p

Anything *too* alien. It's kind of hard to explain but places like the Void planet from Clone Wars just feel unsettling to me.

Hmm. Maybe butterflies? Some sort of peaceful, intelligent species that drastically changes appearance as it goes through its life cycle, has beautiful designs, and can fly long distances. Maybe they fly in swarms like monarchs and use that to communicate somehow. Or maybe they can channel the Force by swarming together.

&

I'm sorry, I can't think of anything for these. If I do come up with anything I'll answer later!

@gizkaspice

Standard Cat Questions:
    Do you think cats should wear cute hats? Why or Why not?

As long as the hats don't bother them, sure! :D

Who in SW (any period) do you think is more of a cat or a dog person and why?

I think the Naberrie family would be dog people. They seem like the type of loving, relaxed, down-to-earth people who'd have all sorts of pets, and I think Ryoo and Pooja would love having a dog to play with.

What do you think of Millicent the cat? Should she get her own Disney spin-off? Do you think that orange loth-cat in the Mandalorian was actually her great grandparent?

She should absolutely get her own spin-off, I'd watch the hell out of it! Especially if there were wacky hijinks involving a certain wannabe Sith Lord and his cat. [face_batting]

And yes, the Mandalorian loth-cat was totally her great-grandparent because I have a weakness for the 'all the main characters are related/know each other despite the galaxy being huge and having billions of beings' trope. This is the way!

Regular questions:
    Favourite Simpsons/and or Family Guy episode?

Family Guy - the Petoria one, where Peter makes his own country. The "Can't Touch Me" segment is priceless.

Simpsons - ahhhh this is a tough one! I love so many episodes! But "I Love Lisa" and "The Springfield Files" are near the top, for sure. :D

As a fellow Canadian, what's your opinion on buses and their 'Sorry not in Service" message?

I've lived here my entire life and it still amuses me. Like, how much more Canadian can you get, eh?

Thank you for all the great questions, everyone! @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha I didn't forget you, I just ran out of time tonight and I'll get to them tomorrow! @};-

13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Marvel called, they have decided to make Alpha Flight Canada's superhero team again instead of S.W.O.R.D. underlings, and reshuffle the member roster of the team, and you get to decide who should be in. The parameters are: the roster has to be at least seven members, but no larger then ten; that there has to be at least three members of each gender; and at least one member with a patriotic theme. You are allowed to have characters go back to an old superhero identity they ones had, or take up the mantle of another character. Which Marvel characters do you pic, eh?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  14. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Followup questions!

Favourite animal(s) in SW?

What other fandoms are you into?

If you could be any profession in SW, what would it be and why?

What do you think of Klaud? Should he get his own SW spin-off?

15. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Favorite SW character(s) and why?

I love basically all the Skywalkers and Solos (I'm including Mara, Chewie, Obi-Wan, and Lando in that. Also, Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin will always be the Solo kids to me!).

As far as new canon, Mando and Grogu. [face_love] And now that I've finally watched it the Rebels crew is up there, too. :D

Favorite culture in SW?

Probably the Naboo. It's a lovely world, and they seem to value things like peace, art, beauty, education, and service. That's very appealing to me.

What Jedi skill/talent would you most like to have?

It's a toss-up between flow-walking, force healing, and telekinesis. Flow-walking would be the most interesting, but healing and telekinesis would be more useful.

Favorite droid?

Chopper! :chopper::D

Favorite sweet snack?

I love anything sweet, and if it involves mango or chocolate, even better. [face_love]

Also, when the weather warms up, I indulge way too often in iced coffee and iced capps. There's enough sugar in those things that I count them as a dessert. :p

Favorite topping for waffles/pancakes?

Waffles - fruit (preferably berries) and whipped cream
    Pancakes - maple syrup

Favorite burger topping?

Regular toppings - ketchup, mustard, onion, and cheese. BBQ sauce and fried onions are also delicious. :D

16. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

Marvel called, they have decided to make Alpha Flight Canada's superhero team again instead of S.W.O.R.D. underlings, and reshuffle the member roster of the team, and you get to decide who should be in. The parameters are: the roster has to be at least seven members, but no larger then ten; that there has to be at least three members of each gender; and at least one member with a patriotic theme. You are allowed to have characters go back to an old superhero identity they ones had, or take up the mantle of another character. Which Marvel characters do you pic, eh?

This list is pretty much just the first characters that popped into my head. I'm not very familiar with the Marvel universe (as you can probably tell by these characters all being from, like, two movies :p), and I'm not even entirely sure this meets your criteria, but here's what I came up with anyway:

Deadpool
    Groot
    Negasonic Teenage Warhead
    Mantis
    Gamora
    Rocket
    Drax

@gizkaspice

Favourite animal(s) in SW?

Porgs! They're just the cutest. [face_love]

And the space whales in Rebels (I cannot for the life of me remember the name right now) are really cool. Rebels had a lot of really cool animals, actually.

What other fandoms are you into?

So most of these are TV shows because I'm not really into movie or book fandoms (aside from SW of course!). I also find it hard to get into anything new, so most of them are old favorites that I just rewatch over and over. :p

The Simpsons, Married...With Children, Family Guy, Futurama, King of the Hill, Archer, South Park, and Arthur are my go-to shows. And I'll always love House M.D., and I still read fic for it on occasion even though I haven't actually watched it in years.

Stranger Things is my current 'obsession' fandom and it's where I do most of my writing these days, if you can call jotting down a sentence or two once in a while "writing". :p

If you could be any profession in SW, what would it be and why?

Some sort of pilot or farmer. Basically the SW versions of Earth jobs I'd like to do. :p

Flying cool ships and travelling all around the galaxy would just be amazing, but everyone in the galaxy needs to eat too. I imagine SW agriculture would use a lot of interesting technologies (both things like genetic modification and hydroponics that we have already or at least have the potential to use in the near future and crazy sci-fi things that I'm not creative enough to think of) but would still have some sort of hands-on physical component.

What do you think of Klaud? Should he get his own SW spin-off?

I didn't remember him at all until I clicked on that LOL. I think he'd do well with a sitcom-type spin-off. :D

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have you seen Blackadder and/or Jeeves and Wooster?

Which one of them is the one with who will have the patriotic theme, eh?

:p

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    If the way the Swedish Chef makes poutine correct, and if not what is it that he do wrong?

19. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

Have you seen Blackadder and/or Jeeves and Wooster?

No. I know Hugh Laurie is in them and a lot of people in House fandom were fans of these shows too but I've never gotten around to watching. :p

Which one of them is the one with who will have the patriotic theme, eh?

Uh...I have no idea. Add in Captain America? He's Marvel, right? :p

If the way the Swedish Chef makes poutine correct, and if not what is it that he do wrong?

Looks pretty accurate to me! [face_laugh] But...you do have to start with the right potatoes:

[face_mischief]

Gamiel and devilinthedetails like this.
  20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

What, now Legend, non-humans species that have never gotten any real description would you like to know more about?

Which one/s of the new non-human races we have seen in the ST and the NEU would you like to know more about?

Which background character/s in the ST deserve to get his/her story told?

Yes but it has to be Canadian patriotism since it is a Candain superhero team. :-B

21. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    @Gamiel

Maybe the Rebels space whales - pergils? Not sure how to spell it lol. I thought the idea of creatures that can travel through hyperspace was fascinating anyway, and I'd love to see them show up again. And porgs, can never get enough porgs. :D

For your other questions, I'm sorry, but I don't have any answers. It's been a long time since I read the EU Legends and honestly I found the ST very...forgettable. Rey, Finn, and Poe are basically all I remember from it. :p

Yes but it has to be Canadian patriotism since it is a Candain superhero team. :-B

I have no idea then, sorry! Does Deadpool count, since he's played by some Canadian loser? [face_laugh]

Just to be clear, I'm not insulting Ryan Reynolds, just trying to make a forum-friendly Deadpool-style joke. :p

22. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    This is not a question but more like a literal LOL reaction [face_laugh][face_rofl] Thanks for making my day! Okay, maybe I'll have questions for you later. :p

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Deadpool is not just played by some Canadian loser, he is a Canadian loser
    [​IMG]

24. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    And then once he gets to the Kingpin's lair, a Canadian moose sits on him while a French lizard person from Quebec gives him a wedgie :p

and now I have more questions! :D

If you could rewrite the sequel trilogy, what would you add/remove? (up to 5-8 things)

Favourite alien/non-human in SW?

Favourite King of the Hill/Simpsons/Futurama character (s)?

Favourite SNES game? (or equivalent game station?)

Favourite animals or plants?

25. amidalachick

Aug 3, 2003
    EDIT: I don't know how my whole post got deleted! It's a sign that today just needs to be over. Let's try again. :p

[face_laugh][face_laugh]

@gizkaspice

If you could rewrite the sequel trilogy, what would you add/remove? (up to 5-8 things)

1. No bringing Palpatine back. Just, no. :oops:
    2. Get rid of some of the plot threads and focus on actually developing the existing stories. I think half the reason I don't remember a lot from the sequels is because there was so much going on, and most of it never seemed to go anywhere.
    3. An actual on-screen reunion between Han, Leia, Luke, and Lando where they all get to be together and happy. Instead of, you know, dying and being split up and seeing everything they fought for fall to pieces.

I can't think of anything else offhand, but those are the biggest things to me anyway. :p

Favourite alien/non-human in SW?

I really liked Kuiil, and there are others I'm probably forgetting. But for all-time favorite, I'm going to go with Chewie.

Favourite King of the Hill/Simpsons/Futurama character (s)?

These are all tough because it's the entire cast that makes them so good! But if I really had to choose one from each, I'd say:

King of the Hill - Dale Gribble
    Simpsons - Homer
    Futurama - Fry

Favourite SNES game? (or equivalent game station?)

I never had a Nintendo, but I used to love playing Frogger on our old PlayStation.

Favourite animals or plants?

Oh, another tough one! A few of each, in no particular order:

Animals: Horses
    Dolphins
    Whales
    Elephants
    Giraffes

Plants: Palms (especially palm trees!)
    Orchids
    Hibiscus
    Spider plants

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021