main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Utterly Awful Completely Contemptible Please God Make The Suffering Stop Rumors Thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 7, 2019.

1. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I am assuming the idea of Lucas settling controversies means the ultimate Star Wars authority giving the final word on hotly debated subjects like the Chosen One, Midi's, the possibility of force connections like Rey/Kylo in the ST, etc. Hopefully no reasonable person would contend that Lucas giving a "final word" on these things would per se "stop controversies" about them; people on the internet will argue like dogs will chase their bone- it's going to happen no matter what.

I don't know that it would even be something he should do though given he doesn't own the company- it would seem almost spiteful, unless it was being coordinated or agreed upon by the current company (which isn't going to happen because they want creative control).

And all wishes aside, it is unlikely he will ever have any kind of a spot in a SW production because of the way he wants ultimate control, and would be unlikely to get it.
    Nonetheless, in a universe of random events and probability based occurrences, far stranger and more unlikely things have happened than Lucas getting a SW production before the end of his life. There are a good portion of the fan base I am sure that would love to see what he would do, and with the quantity of upcoming SW content, it would not have to be forced down the throat of any particular SW fan that didn't want to see it. Therefore, it is very unlikely to happen, but there really would not be any harm in it did; it would make a lot of people happy.

Shamear likes this.
  2. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    Lastly, George should be engaging in heated canon debates during his retirement as proof that he too is a TRU FAN.

Lee_ likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    When George sits for his weekly lunch of mall food court Chinese food you just know he is meditating on Star Wars canon.

4. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    He referenced certain ones he enjoyed. He explicitly said that many of them, especially those post ROTJ, were not what he considered to have happened.

Krueger likes this.
  5. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    He was actually quite explicit when he said the old EU "never happened".

Shamear likes this.
  6. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I think you might have misunderstood- some of these SW fans are really fanatical, he was informing them with that statement that those books are actually fictional.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I forgot I was going to edit your insight into my last post. I didn't agree at first, but in looking at the situation, you are right. That could help build Lucas back up to maybe doing a production. He is so sullen and negative in many interviews about Disney SW, he clearly is hurting inside, like a man who has lost his only true love.

Your suggestion here could help build him back up from his downtrodden place, so he might be more willing to engage again. It would be a beautiful place for Lucas to debate from- he could really condescend people, like, "You think you can argue with me about Star Wars! Do you know who I am?"

George could be back to 1977 disposition and SW favorability very quickly with that kind of self-esteem building.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  8. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Yes, it would help everyone.

Lee_ likes this.
  9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    [​IMG]

Bor Mullet and Lee_ like this.
  10. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
  11. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    Story elements in science fiction sagas can cover such a wide gamut for imaginings of scientific topics. You can have part of the plot driven by fantasy and another part anchored more in science fiction. From the beginning, Star Wars has offered some deep imaginings of some rather "alien" storage devices. I'm talking about things like the storage of digital media on hardware devices. George had that a plot device from the very beginning. In watching Episode IV, we see the SW saga itself manifest around the stolen plans for the Death Star I. Topics like time capsules, digital storage, droids, encryption, and transmission were front and center in ANH.

My view is that George had a heck of a lot to say and imagine on these topics. George set the stage in the Prequel films to say more. Sadly, he gave into the temptation of selling. He could have retired while keeping Lucasfilm private. And maybe then we would have seen him deliver another trilogy of SW films. It's still not too late for him to come back. Therefore, it's worth imagining what George could do if he *did return to write and produce three more SW films.

[​IMG]

Lee_ likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    How this would actually play out.

LANGUAGE WARNING!!! NOT FOR THE DELICATE!

Lee_ and Tython Awakening like this.
  13. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I was referring to the interview he gave where he stated the old EU is not what he would have done. I don't believe he was talking about its "realness". That's silly. Everyone knows its real.

14. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    One need look no further than The Clone Wars to really grasp George's stance on the EU - if something looked cool he'd probably pluck it out of a book or comic or game to use, but always in his own way, regardless of whether his way meshed with the EU or not. That's one of the big reasons I never really bothered all that much with the EU; Star Wars and George Lucas were always synonymous to me, and while he was running the ship it was really just his vision that I wanted to see and experience.

Killing the EU as soon as they bought the company is probably the single most respectful of George thing that Disney has done in their tenure with Star Wars, to be completely honest. ;)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, respect for George had nothing to do with their decision. They just didn't want to be hemmed in by those stories. And their own stories are no more George's vision than the EU was. Just a different canon that also isn't from George.

And the EU was in no way disrespectful to George. He allowed it's existence, and was even influenced by it a bit. It allowed LFL to continue to profit from SW, which was good for the company. It gave insatiable fans more content to enjoy. It allowed writers who loved SW to play in the "sandbox". And it kept the torch burning during the slow years.

16. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yeah, I was definitely being a bit tongue in cheek there with the "respect" bit, hence the ";)" there.

I will say though, that this conversation does bring up the biggest diverging point in how I approach Lucas-era Star Wars vs how I approach Disney-era Star Wars. While under Lucas, it was pretty much his vision and his vision alone that I was interested in. With modern Lucasfilm, however, I am much less interested in the current crop of filmmakers staying strictly in his sandbox, and prefer approaching each new film/show from a different angle to see how each individual filmmaker interprets Lucas' work while (hopefully) putting their own stamp on it. I don't want to to simply see Lucas' style 'recreated' by others these days.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    This is exactly what DIsney is doing also though, right?

Sarge and Bor Mullet like this.
  18. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Yep! Especially in Rebels and The Mandalorian thus far.

Lee_ likes this.
  19. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    It should be interesting to see where they take it with Thrawn and all. The EU really did add contribute to SW canon given Lucas and Disney both plucked from it, even if they did it on their own terms.

20. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Kennedy is treating the EU exactly as Lucas did.

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
  22. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Lucas’s ST would have been just as controversial as the Disney ST. I think no matter what after the excitement of Episode 7 it was gonna be controversial

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  24. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, It's easy to say "George would have done it right!", but George's brushes with controversy in his most recent outings were likely the main factor in why they didn't follow his outline for the ST in the first place. Now they've learned how hard it is to please a fan base as large as SW has.

Only now, at the end, do they understand. :)

25. Tython Awakening

Oct 12, 2017
    As far as I'm concerned, Lucas could be a 90+ year-old man confined to a bed and still write SW stories that could become films.

dolphin and Darth Smurf like this.