main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How to be a JCCer, the Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Looking at various files from over the years, the page count of stuff I wrote about this place is truly unsettling.

3. BookExogorth

BookExogorth Force Ghost star 4

May 4, 2017
    You could start a thread and post them all, or post them all here... not saying it’s the best idea but it’d be memorable

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah so I got up in 2005 and early 2008 stepped down. But I do remember being a big supporter of the idea of returning you to MS, and also the hilarity of helping skew the vote in EUC to @GrandAdmiralJello away from his main competitor, [redacted]. Iello was the unfavoured outsider; his persona and elitism deemed to be negatives.

Also have we had any sibling mods besides Genghis12 and Mr44?

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  5. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Saving anything from here is a bit weird. Why do it?

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You've not met Rogue 1.5?

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I have a lot saved from back in the day. Not so much from the past decade.

8. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Why, J?

9. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Often, just in case. I haven’t looked at any of it in years, but it allows for reading posts closer to the time they were made in, including the board system.

Truncated posts are intact and disappeared threads survive.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    Diggy and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  10. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly though Rogue archiving stuff is not just entirely in line with Rogue's personality (and this is not a backhanded compliment or put down), it's useful to remember some of the moments in history in this place that many of us have spent years and years in.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I don't save stuff I write off the cuff, but if I'm writing like a movie review or something, I'll save it.

And I had a couple of threads here in the past where I wrote a fair amount of stuff about the history of the boards and such, so I saved all that. You know what? Back in the day, there wasn't a feature that saved a draft of your post, like happens now. So, if I was going to write a long post, I would often write it in a word processor, so that, if the website crashed or something, I wouldn't lose it. Write it in the word processor and then copy-paste it. So that's probably how it started.

I had a thread once where I was investigating my Watched Users List and the list of people watching me. That was a super-fun thread and I kind of hate that all the old WULs got purged when we moved over here. I don't really use the WUL the way I did at the other place; I think liking posts is just easier and feels like a similar way to give validation to the way we would put people on our WULs over there. But I got kind of fascinated by it when I realized that like a third of the people who were watching me, I didn't know or didn't have a clear memory of knowing. So I decided to investigate them one at a time, try to track down the connection we had apparently made at some point, get them into the thread to reconnect . . . it was fun. And all that stuff I saved because the posts I would write-up about the users were not "reviews" exactly, but they were kind of a few paragraphs about somebody, you know. So if it was some sort of a planned write-up about something, then I would save it; conversational posts, no. But not even a longer, off the cuff post like this one. I guess if it felt kind of essay-like, I'd save it; if it felt more reactive and conversational, then I wouldn't.

But I won't deny there's something a little weird about it. :p

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So was the watched users list basically the same as following people?

13. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
  14. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I have a lot of jcc images, etc, saved. I don't think I've saved any of my posts though.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Was reading through some old threads and 10,000 characters is not as much as you would think it is. A lot of of threads don’t make any sense. But that’s the internet for you

16. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Thats sad

Ender Sai and Rogue1-and-a-half like this.
  17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Yeah. I've found that I just haven't used the follow feature over here as much as I used the WUL at the other boards. When I did the thread at the other boards, I was watching 64 people and 134 people were watching me. Now I'm following 8 people and I have 26 following me. Just haven't built that back up. I think liking posts kind of scratches that itch.

@Diggy one last thing . . . reading through my file of posts from the WUL thread, I stumbled across this detail. I wonder if you remember it. I was a mod back then, so I actually posted some info from people's Admin notes when it was funny and not a privacy invasion. So I was researching a guy named DAR and I found this . . .

"Glancing at DAR’s Admin Notes, however, I found the following piece of information. He was banned back in 2005. Errant_Venture banned him for trolling YJCC with a sock called “Ignants_Dildo.” About three hours later, Errant unbanned him with the unceremonious Admin Note stating that it was his mistake and to ignore the previous ban. An honest error? Or evidence of graft? Then again, an IP check on Ignants_Dildo brings up a ridiculous amount of users. Damn those proxy servers anyway! Well, regardless, that’s funny as hell.

Ironically, immediately after these tragic events, a sock called “Errants_Error” started trolling YJCC. No evidence has yet come to light regarding his identity. Still, DAR may in fact be innocent. One of his recent posts in the Amp was bashing Bruno; he gave the movie a solid D-. Does this sound like a guy who would think “Ignants_Dildo” was funny? Then again, he didn’t give it an F, now did he? Questions linger."

You have any memories about this "Ignants_Dildo?"

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  18. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    What was even the point of WUL or following people?

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    To train us to be good snitches for the coming digital overlords

20. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The only real point is you can see when users are online. And they’ll pop up near all the names at the bottom

21. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I remember her posting that sexy skull bathtub foam pic and everyone basically going nuts over it

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
  23. Bacon164

Mar 22, 2005
    I hate the internet, why isn't everything PRESERVED

what the hell was that picture?!

24. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I have no memory of the dildo. I wish I did.

25. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000