main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    That's probably it. We've had renames with the film forums before.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  2. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    No. But it used to be called Original Trilogy. I think it is more well known as the OT. So I was just curious why the change was made.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Like JTS said - mods at the time might have wanted a change.

4. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    OK - I've done a deep dive into our mod forum. At the end of 2011 we had a thread going on a general reorganization of the boards. and in this thread there were references to the OT as well as CT forum. I'm thinking the rename might have come out of the reorganization process. If not then I would imagine it was in 2012 when we got the news of Disney acquiring Lucasfilm as we were doing new board setups for the ST and future films.

Jimbing and JABoomer like this.
  5. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    In ESB do Han and gang actually sit down and have a meal around that table with Vader? If so, what did they eat and talk about?

Jimbing and DarthIshyZ like this.
  6. DarthIshyZ

DarthIshyZ Chosen One star 8

Jan 8, 2005
    That's easy! Robot Chicken found a lost recording of it all.

Count Yubnub and darth_gersh like this.
  7. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    Perfect.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't think they actually ate dinner. It was just for show. I'm pretty sure Han and the others were taken prisoner and sent to their cells immediately. And if they did eat (Vader couldn't anyway), the real question is what do people eat in SW. We know Jabba likes frogs, the Ewoks humans, Luke blue milk, Yoda something made from roots. Otherwise we don't see what people eat much.

9. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
    Luke also eats a lot of fish! I mean, seriously. He was carrying what appeared to be a small tuna, yet he had no cold storage. That's a big appetite.

10. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    Maybe he likes sushi?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    The iodine in seafood is what gives him enhanced Force abilities. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    Jimbing and DarthIshyZ like this.
  12. Jimbing

Jimbing Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 15, 2020
    There a are a lot of Boba Fett avatars here so hopefully someone has the truth. Did George Lucas ever say that Boba Fett was from a warrior race and was the last of his kind?
    I think he did.

13. Jimbing

Oct 15, 2020
    I bet, it went down like the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds. A friendly, tension filled questioning in regards to the location of Luke and the remaining rebels. Food was only appetizers for those who were in the mood. And milk. Blue.

14. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    @Jimbing Please try to avoid multiple consecutive posts in the future. There is an edit button in the bottom of the original post that you can normally use that will allow you to edit and add more content to the first post.

BlackRanger and Jimbing like this.
  15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is "fake Wedge" actually Wedge canonically despite being played by a different actor? If so, why do this when you could just establish him as a different character?

BlackRanger likes this.
  16. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the newcanon, he's a different character called Col Takbright, who is affectionately nicknamed "Fake Wedge" by one of his fellow pilots, to his annoyance (From A Certain Point of View anthology).

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    idk about George specifically, but the Empire novelization does say he’s wearing the armor of (this is paraphrased) an evil group of warriors who the Jedi defeated in the clone wars.

18. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    George also said in his 1977 story conference with Leigh Brackett that the clones were the bad guys fighting against the Republic in the Clone Wars. So apparently the Mandalorians have always been associated with clones in some way.

Basically I think the 1970s idea was that the Mandalorians were a fascist/imperialist society of clones whom the Republic fought & defeated. It's probably based on Norman Spinrad's novel The Iron Dream, a parody of the latent fascist tendencies in much of Golden Age SF. In Spinrad's book, presented as a "science-fiction novel by Adolf Hitler" from a parallel universe, the genetic purity of the Nazi state established by its protagonist is threatened by radiation from a nuclear war - something they get around by turning to cloning en masse as a replacement for sexual reproduction.

In fact, I'd say even the name "Mandalore" was meant to sound like the name of places in India such as Bangalore: a pun on the double meaning (Nordic vs. Indian) of the word "Aryan", so fetishized by the Nazis. (A similar pun was inherent in the creation of "Aryan superman" Khan Noonien Singh in Star Trek.)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Jimbing, DarthIshyZ and DarthBoba like this.
  19. Jimbing

Oct 15, 2020
    Cool! I remember when I was a kid, the school yard rumor was, "Hey, you know that bounty hunter Boba Fett? That's what stormtroopers used to look like. There were a lot of them." And that just blew my mind.
    And in recent times, before the Mandolorian series, can you believe people online were classifying Boba Fett as "one of the most over rated characters in sci fi"
    There was a SW podcast talking about what did Fett actually do in the movies besides get slapped around. Pff! He captured Han Solo. Kind of...

DarthBoba and DarthIshyZ like this.
  20. Blobofat

Blobofat Chosen One star 8

Dec 15, 2000
    I've just been reading an article in The Telegraph written by the actor Peter Bourke about his career. Apparently he was asked to play C3PO? Is this common knowledge? I've never read it anywhere before.

Here's a quote:
    While working at the RSC in 1975, I received a call from my agent Peter Crouch (not that one). He had secured me an audition at 20th Century Fox to play the young male lead in a new film. “You are seeing the guy who directed American Graffiti [George Lucas]. I think he saw you as the boy in Henry V.” When I met Lucas the next day he was sitting behind a large desk, staring fixedly at its empty surface. He said: “This film is a cross between 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Four Musketeers.” I laughed.

“You think it’s funny?”

“Well, it does sound amusing,” I said sheepishly.

He changed the subject: “How is your American accent?”

“Good for an Englishman,” I replied.

“Well, we’ll probably dub you anyway.”

Several days later my agent rang me. “Hello darling. You didn’t get Luke Skywalker but they have offered you a gold robot. I’ve turned it down.”

“Oh.”

“Well it could be anyone, darling – they won’t even see your face.”

“What were the terms?

“£100 a week for five weeks. Oh, and 0.5 per cent of the profits.” To put this in perspective, that is double what I was being paid at Stratford. I moved on, but shortly afterwards my agent came back to me. “Star Wars have been on again. This time the offer is to dub the first film and then play ‘the gold robot’ in [the second film] The Empire Strikes Back.” “I can’t do that to the actor who’s already playing it, Peter.” So I turned it down again.

So he was offered the role again after Star Wars was released. Seems a bit weird. Did Lucas clash with Anthony Daniels?

BlackRanger and DarthIshyZ like this.
  21. DarthIshyZ

Jan 8, 2005
  22. Freeusordie

Freeusordie Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2021
    Hi all,

There is something that has always played on my mind since the release of the PT. It’s not really a question, and probably more a matter of opinion.

Does anyone think that Master Yoda comes off as a little foolish when Luke first meets him in ESB? The throwing things, stealing food, stealing Luke’s flashlight, giggling, and hitting R2D2 with his gimer stick while repeating “mine” seems like very odd behaviour for a Jedi Master of Yoda’s experience.

I appreciate Luke was being very impatient, and not very respectful towards him, so I like to think its a test of Lukes character, and overall suitability for Jedi training.

I know at this point we had never been introduced to Yoda on screen before, therefore there was no expectancy of how he should be portrayed, but when I watch the PT and even TCW show, Yoda seems much more serious.

It doesn’t bother me or impact my view of the films in any way, but I would just like to get others opinion on this.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    In both trilogies (and TCW too), Yoda is playful when he needs to be playful, and serious when he needs to be serious. The way he interacted with Luke before he reveals himself is not much different than his playful behaviour when he's teaching the younglings.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
  24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Yeah it’s a test. Yoda doesn’t joke with Luke again until ROTJ.

DarthIshyZ and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  25. Darth_Dave_1984

Darth_Dave_1984 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 20, 2021
    Do you think the title 'The Return of the Jedi' is a referance to Luke becoming a Jedi or Anakin returning? Or another meaning maybe?

I always assumed it was about Anakin.