main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Final Fantasy Saga (FF7 Rebirth Spoilers TAGGED)

Discussion in 'Community' started by jedi_john_33, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, that's weird - haven't had that one at all.

2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So I assume that means that even if I wanted to download that freebie digital version from PS Plus to play the game (without loading the disk), I'd still need to uninstall it again and reinstall the disk version once I'm ready for the PS5.

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think that’s the most likely way that’d go, yeah. Also any saves from the PS5 version would cease to work with the PS4 standalone digital version.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
  4. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Is having the disc in your console that big a deal? As digital or not, there's no difference in the data size between the two.

5. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah. Honestly if it were me I'd be scared to even claim the PS Plus version if I had the disc. I won't even be attempting it since I already own the game digitally.

6. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    It's not about the installation size (which is identical in digital or disk), it's just the burden of having to load and eject the disk when I want to play something else; and I don't like leaving my disks within the console when I'm not playing them. Lately, I've been playing most of my PS4 games during the week through Remote Play on my den computer; where I can watch the evening news and other stuff on the big screen in the background while playing. I sacrifice graphics of course, but the gameplay isn't lost at all and of course I hook up my PS4 controller to the PC.

7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    You consider that a burden while telling me you find it easy to play a game and watch TV at the same time? Ok, no worries.

8. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    The burden of getting out of a chair to change a game.

I remember the days when my games were in cassette and you had to flip the cassette for large games.

Instant loading Vs 10mins loading then flipping a cassette for another 5 min wait.

Yes I'm old

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tapatalk

Lordban, Nobody145 and Jedi Ben like this.
  9. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And the screeching loading sound......

FatBurt likes this.
  10. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    The console is in another room (yes, I acknowledge I left that part out).

I've been engaging in a debate in this FFVIIR Facebook group about the details on the upgrade and who's eligible for it. Some have suggested that it seems like even if you have the physical disk of the game, like I do, you still need to purchase the PS5 version of the disk to be eligible for the upgrade; that the upgrade is only for digital owners (not including the upcoming PS Plus freebie). It doesn't really make much sense to me. What seems more reasonable is that they're suggesting that if you own the disk version, that you need to have a PS5 disk version console and not the digital version to get the upgrade.

11. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I doubt the Disc version isn't upgradeable. It seems like any purchased version will be.

Ahsoka's Tano likes this.
  12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I mean upgradable for free. I mean there's already people whining about just having to pay to play Yuffie in the new DLC; knowing full well that she wasn't even supposed to be part of the Midgar area of the game to begin with. If they force you to pay for just to get the overall upgrade after having purchased the original game (and in my case, the Deluxe Edition to boot), that's beyond irrational.

13. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    They said the upgrade is free.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  14. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Upgrade is free, Yuffie has a cost

EDIT

PS+ version does not have the upgrade option though

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Jedi Ben likes this.
  15. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I mean to pay for a new game (digital) if you only have the disk version to get the upgrade for the PS5.

16. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    Yuffie has a cost because.... it's DLC. New content. Hell, some games like Control charged you to buy a whole new game just to upgrade to the PS5 version. To me, getting the PS5 version free as an upgrade is great.

But I think it's lame they're not including this for PS Plus version.

17. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Normally I don't care about phone games but I love the art style of Ever Crisis, hopefully its the complete stories vs selected big story beats from each FFVII title.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  18. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Hey, that's something I can remember too, and I'm not that old. Not yet :p

Sinrebirth and FatBurt like this.
  19. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Umm ok I’m only just learning that Remake is the free game this month and as there was no way in hell I was going to buy it till it’s all finished I ll damn well sure hit that download button if it’s free.

20. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I just started playing the remake the other day, after finishing FFX's story mode, and I am liking it so far. The combat system is fun, though I am still neglecting the usage of block in favor of dodging all over the place. The ATB of it all threw me off for a second, but once I got the hang of it the battles settled into that sweet spot between challenging and fun (Wrath Hound in Chapter 3 can be spaced for all I care). As of now, I am still on Chapter 3, having just finished all of the little quests/missions around the map to build Cloud's rep as a merc. The game itself is beautiful, but there are parts of the slums, specifically the doors at the apartment building, that look like they are missing textures. I don't know if it was a time-related issue, and it is not game-breaking, but it is a little jarring when you compare how detailed Cloud and Tifa are to (some of) their backgrounds in a cutscene. Texture-related ish aside, the music playing off of radios and the conversations had by the civilians results in an incredibly immersive environment. Sometimes the background vocals of townsfolk flood into the short dialogues between Cloud, Tifa and the others, and while that was annoying at first, I now enjoy how real it makes everything feel.

Playing as both Cloud and Tifa is awesome, though I lean more towards Cloud, even though I try to split my time between the two evenly.

(Speaking of Cloud, I know everyone likes what they like, and Cloud is certainly pretty, but I can't help but wonder why Jessie is so into him when she has Biggs standing right there looking like a statue? He makes Cloud look basic. Hell, Barrett is a challenge to the throne once he takes those shades off.)

FFX was ultimately good as it came to its story, its characters, and its battle system. I tried to get into the Monster Arena side of things, as I read that it would be a good way to get those purple spheres to up stats, and though I did capture nearly every fiend in the game, beating the monsters created in Species Conquest just wasn't in the cards for me. I might try again someday, but for now I am just going to enjoy FFVII.

21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    FFVIIR was the first FF game that I not only played but actually finished. I'm not a fan of JRPG's, but this one was enjoyable enough to make me consider playing XII and XV. Not playing X, **** turn based combat. DON'T JUST STAND THERE, ATTACK THE PIECE OF ****

solojones, Jedi Ben and Sinrebirth like this.
  22. Charmbracelet

Oct 24, 2020
    I didn't think I would like X's turn-based combat as much as I did. I like the hectic-ness of a FFXV, to keep the conversation FF-centric, but turn-based made me feel like I was some sort of a strategist lol (even though I had many moments where I didn't know what the heck I was doing).

I do want to give FFXII a try one of these days. I also need Square to get it together and do an HD remaster of XIII so I can play as my baby Lightning again.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Did you use Wait mode on FFXV? Changes the game quite a bit.

24. Charmbracelet

Oct 24, 2020
    I didn't even know FFXV has a wait mode. I've been itching to go back to it since I neglected much of the non-story content was present in the game. I also stopped playing before they added the patch that lets you switch characters (I'm assuming that it only lets you switch them in battle), so I want to give that mechanic a whirl, as well.

25. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Wait activates Libra, allowing you to see enemy strengths and weaknesses.