main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I get that perspective in paragraph 1. My age bracket is sometime in July, with possible rush in May. Meanwhile, I live in the county with the highest infection rate and the lowest vaccination rate in the state.

2. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I'd love the vaccine and more power to you if you can get it ASAP (especially if you are in the US).

I'm just saying I'm okay with being one of the last on the list because of my age (well, actually I'm in the second last age group) and safe work situation. Yeah, my mental health has taken a toll, but there are others who need it way sooner than I do.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  3. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    I'm glad to hear you can get it sooner, Ish!

'Essential workers' are apparently in the second group here, so that's supposed to start as early as April. I'm not holding my breath on that though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    They’re rolling out like a fast clock here, but things are just consistently and predictably bad because people reaaaaaally hate being told what to do and that especially goes for scientists who disagreed with Trump.

I’m just really tired right now and having signs of a kidney infection on top of everything. To compensate, I tracked down the Darth Vader redemption AU fanfic that brought me here and am rereading it.

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Stay strong!

6. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I'm not eagerly awaiting the vaccination but I'm going to take it when my time comes. I guess it's kind of a duty to do it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-vaccine by any means but a little sceptical to such rushed vaccines, but there seems to have little side effects so far.

According to the governments plan I'm due for vaccination some time in May-June (so then it will likely be August in the real world...) . But there has and is little infection in "my" community so except for disinfecting when we go shopping and keeping social distancing we're living close to normal. Guess it's a little more strain on those who usually have a social life but since I'm a homebody without many friends right here there is little difference to me. I go to work (which has barely been in lockdown) and I go home and that's it. Most scary thing I do is actually going to the grocery store, and...well...usually there aren't so many people there either at the time when I do my shopping so keeping 1m distance is quite easily done.

I do look forward to seeing friends again though. I have them but they don't live around here so I have to drive for some hours to meet them - which has not been a good idea the last year since there has been local Covid restrictions around.

7. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m glad your area has been able to do so well. It’s enviable.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Absolutely. Living in a small community has some advantages - we have quite a lot of open space around us so distancing is easy to perform.

Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  9. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm due to receive my first jab in 40 minutes, whoop-dee doo. [face_party] I thought it would be hilarious if the vaccination date was my birthday on Wednesday, but this is close enough to be funny. Pretty impressed with how Serbia handled vaccination given that we are notable for failing at things and we had a summer wave that nobody else had. That was when I caught the infection myself.

Not sure if we're allowed to talk about what we're getting jabbed with or if there are any specific rules for anything related to vaccination, so if I said something wrong, I am sorry.

Also, hi. I doubt anybody remembers me, but goopa, glad to be here. :sabine:

Not even going to try to read everything from whenever to today, but I thought a lot about everybody - a couple of people whom I was scared for a bit more than others and after I learned that we lost at least one person, I was too shocked to even log in.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Hey, you’re remembered by someone with my name. Happy birthday in advance.

11. amidalachick

amidalachick FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 5 VIP - Game Host

Aug 3, 2003
    Mine's Thursday! We're almost birthday twins. :D

And yay for getting the vaccine!

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think we interacted a few times way back in like 2016? Or something, but I remember. Also happy birthday in advance.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome back Ewok Poet, lucky in the vaccine, and happy early birthday!

And happy early birthday amidalachick.

I wanted to get outside today for some fresh air, but my body refused so my perpetually bad mood continues. BUUUUT I did manage to be productive instead and got all my income tax stuff off to my accountant so that's got me feeling better.

I also think I need a new pair of shoes for the spring. Work is probably going to get crazy busy with cycle programs and paddle training. So I'm trying to decide between a pair of high-top sneakers and a pair of outdoor moccasins. I will probably be mostly doing handcycle stuff so I could get away with a pair of comfy moccasins for most days (plus easier to slip on), but a nice pair of sneakers might be better for days when I have to train volunteers on the recumbent tandem bikes and if (or more likely when) I get flipped into the water during kayak training. Hmmm. Decisions.

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Morrells has great athletic/water shoes that I can use in the lake and on walks. Not sure if there are other brands that do the same, but I like the style a lot.

15. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Welcome back, EP! Happy early Birthday!

Happy early Birthday amidalachick!

Tomorrow is my pretty much mandatory team dinner and then Wednesday is our team meeting. We're doing the meeting at a hotel (I'm hoping in a conference room and not a hotel room) and not my bosses house like I thought, but I'm still really upset about it happening at all. Wish me luck that I don't get COVID or don't get fired for speaking my mind about how we shouldn't be doing it at all.

Bri- They probably wouldn't work for early spring but Keen make what I could only describe as hiking sandals They have the foot bed of a pair a light hiking shoes, but are sandals making them great for transition from land to water. I've had a pair for a few years and I really like them. (Link)

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Good luck and may the force be with you? I'm still mad on your behalf that it's going through. I guess in a hotel is a bit better since it's hopefully professionally sanitized beforehand. I wish I could offer more terms of encouragement. I'm still mad on your behalf that it's going through.

I really dont need them for land AND water, just something that will stay on my feet if I do get dunked
    Hmmm. No, they wont really work for spring here, but I'll have to keep those in mind for summer! I have a pair of sandals but they're probably not going to stand up to what I'll probably need for summer, but those Keens are perfect.

I think my problem is that I hate traditional athletic shoes, but that's exactly what I need for work.

EDIT; I FOUND SHOES THAT I LOVE AND I IMMEDIATELY BOUGHT THEM!!! Here they are! Cute; came in my size (11 ugh); easy to get on yet will stay on my feet if I get dunked; and will provide ankle support for cycling. Plus, importantly, environmentally friendly made.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
  17. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Birthdays, birthdays everywhere! [face_party]Happy early birthday one and all!

We also celebrated Chyntuquita's birthday last week. She is now officially a 6-year-old and the proud owner of a baobab that germinated on her birthday from the seed my friend gave me. She is very much looking forward to teaching it not to take over planets (can you tell that we've been reading The Little Prince?) For that to happen of course (the teaching, not the takeover of planets), I need to hide the watering can before that poor little seedling rots away.

On the lockdown front, we're still in lockdown (d'oh!). My shift with the kids is on Thursdays and I figured out that getting them to bake stuff is a great occupation, especially when there's kneading involved. Last Thursday wasn't too great though. We found a grain weevil in a bag of bread flour, and a single weevil means an infestation, so we had to sift everything that wasn't in a sealed plastic bag in the pantry. The kids loved the sifting, but Auntie Chyn didn't like the aftermath so much #grumble_grumble

Crossing fingers that all goes well at the dinner/meeting, mav! You should definitely speak your mind; that this is happening at all isn't right.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Thank you, all. :) And I'm glad that I have a normal almost-twin, as most people I know born in the span of 2-3 days are oddlings. For example, our president. @amidalachick, hope you'll have a good day the day after tomorrow. I just plan to make crepes in the evening and watch the Sanremo Festival on TV, as we're broke and our oven is kaput, won't bring the handyman to change the bottom heater before I'm 100% sure that both of us have antibodies, as he's a recent recoveree himself and that opens possibilities to pretty much any worst case scenario.

Wait, what? Just what? People who have been trained to work during disasters, outbreaks et cetera...are having a dinner thing during a pandemic? I assume that the team was at least vaccinated? At least one dose? From "hope I don't get Covid". I did not expect that kind of stuff from anybody in that field, especially not in a country that lost more than half a million people.

I went to one of the rare allowed concerts yesterday, the Belgrade Youth Centre was given a go to restart their Monday evening blues events. We were on the basement level next to the entrance to their main venue, while we're normally either outside or in the ground level hall. So, since the security man remained in his place at the door, about half of people drank beer they had smuggled in, took their masks off and saw the couple of us who protested as some sort of Karens. I ended up sitting on the stairs above everybody else and just recording video. I wrote to the PR on Messenger and said that people should mind the fact that vaccination does not equal the disease magically disappearing. I did not want to be harsh because the current head of all affairs at the Youth Centre helped me get my work into a newspaper last summer, he said that he can get me into anything once the events resume, and that's the kind of a place that hosts some of the best shows in the country. But seriously, how come that people cannot grasp that they can be responsible for others?

Happy birthday to the little girl and I hope she and the other kid(s) are taking this well. Somewhat, at least. And a gift that she will appreciate much, much later sounds like something I wish I would have had an idea of giving my bestie's son last week. He *was* interested in biology at the age of 6, but at 13, it's all anime and video games. I am OK with the earlier as he wants to try drawing manga as well and all, it can lead to a creative hobby - but with enormous amounts of LOL, COD and Fortnite he won't get anywhere.

We have not had a classic lockdown after the one we had from March 16th to May 07th ended, probably because our economy cannot handle it or something. Back then, we were allowed outside only from 5AM to 5PM and there were weekend downloads that allowed only food delivery employees and similar folks to walk around freely, and dog owners and parents of autistic children were given time for 20 minute walks, twice a day. Right now, it's just most events being banned and nothing being allowed to work from 9 PM to 5 AM. Night and day public transportation runs normally, while it didn't work for most of April last year. But you can wander around all night like a complete idiot as much as you like - which people do. I have been doing that kind of stuff ever since I got a dog, but now there are people who are literally outside at silly hours for the sake of being outside at silly hours.

If anybody is receiving this particular vaccine, AstraZeneca/Oxford: 36 hours later, I have not had major side-effects, just minor headache, pain in neck vessels, lower back and maybe fever around 38 that was quickly fixed with paracetamol. From what I understand, its mechanism of working is a bit more aggressive, so I'm handling it well. Never had any side-effects from a vaccine before, not even after we had our second dose of BCG as children, which is known for that kind of stuff.

19. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I want to know more about this grain weevil :D And probably would have been best to just throw that bag away without the mess of the sifting.

20. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    @Ewok Poet -- Hi! Oh yes, you are totally remembered especially when I read something FUNNY! I think Poet would LOVE that! Because cats + Kylo Ren = side splitting hilarity! (courtesy of gizkaspice)

@mavjade -- well if that isn't the doophiest thing. They should (a) have it online only or (b) have it so that those who want to attend virtually can.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Hmmm...if I understood this right, I should follow a link? Will do, hint taken. :)

I'm currently in a special new level of Hell that Dante himself did not foresee, because he was an Italian. The said level costs of two Italian live events shown on screen in two different rooms and everyone involved is unable to stop. My head is spinning and I actually enjoy both things - the Sanremo Festival and my friend's book promotion.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett and DarthIshtar like this.
  22. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @gizkaspice If you've never had grain weevils it's time to start wondering what sort of pesticides are used on the food you eat [face_worried] They're tiny little bugs that look like miniature beetles and they feed on, well, grain and grain products. They've got to be one of the worst pests for farmers, they can ruin an entire crop. In the pantry they're pretty harmless, in the sense that they don't carry diseases, they won't bite you etc., but they're just an annoyance. They'll spread to everything they can eat and I guess that if you let them proliferate they'll eat all your food. Back when I was a kid it was standard practice to sift or inspect stuff whenever you cooked with grains. Once we left to our vacation home for the summer, and when we came back they were EVERYWHERE munching on EVERYTHING - even on the pinch of rice that my mother put in the salt shaker to prevent the salt from lumping up.

I discarded quite a bit of stuff last week, like the odd bag of semolina that had two tablespoons left at the bottom or the old pack of spaghetti that had been forgotten somewhere in the back, but I wasn't go to throw away 5kg of bread flour or 2 kg of cornmeal. So, sifting. Lots of it. And vacuum cleaning for days on end. Luckily the rice and beans were in sealed jars and we didn't need to go through that, but I did inspect a very large bag of couscous. By hand. Little by little. :_|

Jedi Knight Fett and gizkaspice like this.
  23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    When I was a missionary, my second mission president announced the policy that food had to be used during the time the missionaries lived there and food from before their arrival had to be thrown out. He explained this policy by telling a story about his own days as a missionary in France, where he made oatmeal for both himself and his companion and noticed little orange specks moving in his only after his companion had eaten half a bowl of roach-infested oatmeal. Needless to say, I don’t eat oatmeal often now.

24. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
  25. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    If you stick the bag or container into a freezer and freeze the product for at least 24 hrs (the longer the better), you can successfully kill off all adults, larvae and eggs without discarding or sifting. The thing that worries me about sifting is that without freezing, you're potentially getting the tiny larvae/eggs around the house and this may undoubtedly cause an infestation for other products which is not something you want.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021