main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Dang missed page 300 oh well. Feeling better. Finished up most of my midterms. So I am glad that over with. @DarthIshtar good to hear on the vaccine. It’s gonna be a long time before I get it myself. I’ll be happy once my mom gets it

AzureAngel2 and DarthIshtar like this.
  2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Both my parents got it. My dad got it at Tribal Health Services early as a diabetic with a heart condition and my mom got it when they vaccinated seniors. Monday, they’re going to lower the vaccination age to 55 here.

AzureAngel2 and Jedi Knight Fett like this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    My mom is getting her first dose in like a week. My dad I don’t know.

DarthIshtar likes this.
  4. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I just want to be able to hug my mum without fearing that I might kill her. Thankfully she got the first shot of the vaccine a couple of weeks ago, so that moment is drawing closer.

Our lockdown was upgraded 2 days ago. Now we're not allowed to go any further than 2km from our homes. I'm not entirely sure what that's supposed to achieve when so many people are still going to work and companies don't respect the work-from-home rules.

5. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    I am looking forward to going to movies in a movie theater with friends, and one of the first things I want to do when things open up is reserve a group room in a restaurant and go out to brunch with all of them (husbands & kids, too). I do think I'll want to work from home a few days a week even when things open up; just getting an extra hour of sleep in the mornings is a big deal (cat doesn't think so, though).

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    I also just want to hug my parents without worrying that I'd kill them (my dad has a lot of pre-existing conditions). I've not seen my parents in person for 15 months, nor have we seen my mother-in-law for that period of time. We do a weekly family Zoom with my family, but it's just not the same.

I really miss going to live theater, and going to restaurants, but theater more than anything. As much as I complain about having to walk through Time Square with the massive amount of tourists to get to a lot of the theaters, I'd do it in a heart beat (and not complain!) to just get that thrill of live theater again.

Yeah, there are federal guidelines, but the states ultimately get to make the decisions on how they want to do things. It makes for really uneven policies/procedures. It's funny, the state I grew up in that is rural, poor, and have a lot of health care delivery issues (as in people often don't have access to health care due to cost, access/distance, etc.) is doing the best vaccine distribution in the country. Where I live now, there's just so many people, it's a struggle all around.

7. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    I'm probably gonna be the weird one to say this but....once this pandemic is over, I'm absolutely not looking forward to being in large crowds or brushing up against people in transit or , in general, just being around lots of people and their germs. Having had caught some very severe viruses/colds in the past that left me sick for months, I very much welcome that mask-wearing has become somewhat normalized and will probably remain like that (such as in Asian cultures where wearing a mask in public when you're sick is respectful towards other people who don't want your germs; unfortunately, it was very much seen as weird in Western cultures until now).

That said, once this pandemic is over, I absolutely am looking forward to finally spending time with family and friends in person and actually hugging people without fear.

8. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh, I hear you there. I stayed in bed this morning until 8:59 AM and clocked in at 9:00 AM. :p

The end of this pandemic is going to reveal two types of people, which will soon become three types of people:

Type 1: Super-introverts who actually enjoyed being forced to act like an introvert, and will look to maintain that behavior for a very long time.
    Type 2: People who are fed up with being forced to act like an introvert, and will be very extroverted after this is over. This type will eventually reveal a split into two subtypes that won't be immediately distinguishable when the pandemic is initially over:
    - Type 2A: Actual extroverts who will be more extroverted than usual, and stay that way for a long time
    - Type 2B: Actual introverts who have excess "socialization energy" built up, and will spend that energy on extroverted behavior for a while until it gets down to a manageable level and then go back to being an introvert

I'm going to be Type 2B.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I’m hard-core 2B. I’m going to get myself the life I’ve missed and resume my need for introversion.

10. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    tl;dr: we are all "ambiverts", in popular culture sense of the word.

Hold on, this is where I come with my usual refrain that I believe only in cognitive functions, the works of Dario Nardi in the field of neuroscience, right? :p Because I'm lazy to go through it again, but 2020 proves my point: the more common and more popular definitions of extraversion and introversion stand for social and asocial (definitely not antisocial, yikes, that word is wrong in so many ways). It's an issue that the further it goes and the further internet makes it into what it wants, you get that one person is an absolute moron and the other is a genius.

And then, ultimately... none of it matters because this has been a horrible experience for everybody. :( :( :( And we'll all feel down for quite a while after this, there could be permanent changes in how we perceive the world and what we gain from our experiences.

It was kind of annoying one year ago when half of the internet basically told me that I am stupid, that I was going to be in a crisis, that I am such a stupid kind of a human that I cannot make it through this and that I was going to need help. In fact, the first couple of months were enjoyable to me, except for wasting time when waiting in lines. When you know you have less time to be outside, you make an effort not to sleep in, catch as much sunshine as possible and whatnot.

So, it comes down to this: we need to choose whom, where and how much we are with. If we can, that is...because sometimes we cannot. It's absolutely normal to be drained by certain experiences, to be extremely erratic around people you love and in situations you enjoy. Intensely focusing on a hobby that is related to creating something indoors, writing or reading is equally normal as it is doing sports or whatever. It's all normal. It's just in our nature to create dichotomies out of everything.

I tested as extraverted everywhere, from simple online tests to the assessment made by a clinical psychologist when I was feeling barely alive due to that unfortunate 2017 misdiagnosis and overmedication. She even went on explaining how it's not what people think it is, so I wouldn't be surprised and I told her that I already know.

I enjoy being in front of 100 000 people with my camera or IN the said crowd as much as I would enjoy one-on-one conversation with somebody I care about and as much as I hate being around a bunch of folks I have no similarities to, bad people, the alleged energy vampires and others. And I happen to be shy and have a certain set of boundaries when it comes to social behaviour, so that influences things as well. Are you going to be overly affectionate, if you know what I mean? Are you going to get drunk? Are you going to just sit there and scream about random nonsense for hours? Cool, Imma disappear. :p

I think that I have a concrete example of how I instantly switch:

There is this female-fronted rock band that I was paid to photograph when they play live because they liked what I do a lot. But in their presence, I feel like I'm being suffocated and struggling to make it alive. They all have these enormous egos, are loud for the sake of being loud and living according to some childish stereotypes that they have to affirm. They're not even famous, it's just a group of folks who constantly enable one another to be the way they are. Each time I'm done photographing them, I feel literally sick for days. And they're nice to me and all, yet they are probably aware that we're the worst match ever. This one time in 2019, they took me to the nearby town, the singer dropped me off, they did their sound check and disappeared. They didn't even tell me anything, so since it was some small and cold club, I just sat there with the bartender and sound guy, staring at the walls. This never happens when I photograph my guys - I'm one of them or so they say, we are a good match and if somebody leaves for a while, they will tell me. And those events never make me feel drained and bad afterwards.

I think that maybe it's the time we realised that they're right and just go for it for a couple of days when we get a cold. Seriously.

But what about birthday candles? That stuff will never be the same again! :eek:

So, this is pretty much what allowed Texas to revoke the mask wearing rule? :(

Also, I hope you get to see your parents soon. :)

Gamiel, AzureAngel2 and gizkaspice like this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So you don't think there is a middle ground of peopel that are neither introvert nor extrovert?

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We are all middle ground in popular terms, might edit my post to add a tl;dr.

13. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    This. I'm more of an ambivert and love talking, have no problem with public speaking and small talk, etc and don't get drained by being around people but also fine doing stuff alone. But I really despise being in crowded places with very loud "extroverted" people because it's a huge migraine trigger for me and also because these kinds of people are loud for no reason other than loud and maybe they should consider a career being foghorns I dunno. Non-loud extroverts are pretty cool though and sometimes I can relate to being very social, too--depends on day :p

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    My main bunsh of friends seems to identify themself as introverts, and we have a tendency to be very loud.

AzureAngel2 and gizkaspice like this.
  15. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I guess I am both. If I know you I will be the most sociable person in the room. If I don’t then I won’t really interact with people.

AzureAngel2 and gizkaspice like this.
  16. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I feel when introverts are loud, it's because they are genuinely passionate about whatever it is they're talking about (I guess it depends on the person) or maybe it depends who they're around with. But when very extroverted, bubbly extroverts are being loud, it's like they're being loud all the time and whatever they're talking about has no purpose other than talking and loud and everything is exciting for them and they don't understand how to dial it down. I find that very draining.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Ya I agree. If you get me started on politics or history it’s hard for me to stop talking about them as I find them both fascinating. Same with Star Wars.

18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    You described the people from the last paragraph of my rant. It's an act. Nothing more than an act - of either dominance, desperate need to be accepted or both.

Just gossiping them with a friend who finds them a bit too overwhelming as well. LOL.

19. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yup. Been there! I'll thankfully have the choice even after everything goes back to 'normal' and there are certain pros and cons to working from home! I love rolling out of bed like 15 minutes before I start work, feeding my face then getting to work. There have been days where I've eaten lunch in like 10 minutes, then spent the other 50 minutes of my lunch break having a nap!

AzureAngel2 and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My boss knows that my favorite thing about working from home is how I can sleep through my alarm and still get to my desk in 30 steps or so, so I’m never very late.

21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    2B all the way.

Also, the one thing I'm sure to miss about lockdown is the option to work in my pyjamas :D

22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Folks, all of you...just be careful. It eventually creates disorder that you can no longer stop. It just keeps on going downhill. I have been working from home for years and I crave the routine that I never had. [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

23. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    This is one thing I just cant do. Even when I was a student learning from home. I just need to get dressed in order to start my day and feel productive. However, some days I just put on my baggy sweatpants and a hoodie. Most days it's just leggings and a hoodie.

As for the introvert/extrovert thing, I really don't know where I'll stand. I really don't do big crowded events anyways, and I've been in a country with not too bad lockdowns (heck, I travelled for a wedding back in October). I mean for sure I miss my friends so I'll probably take the first opportunity to see them in person I can. So I guess 2B.

24. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    We had loose rules for quite a while too, but people were abusing them to an enormous extent and nobody cared. I was on a totally normal festival in October as well as a concert for 30 people where there were, like, 200 of us. Nobody wore masks. I did not wear one because I had antibodies, but I am sure that most of people present didn't.

Two of my further relatives caught Covid-19 at a child's birthday in June, around the same time I caught it who-knows-where. Both had pneumonia, one was on the oxygen mask thing at the hospital, sharing the room with the mother of the said child and treated by his own wife (the same wonderful person who saved mom's life in 2019) and the other quarantined in the spare room and using the spare bathroom at his own apartment. You just...never know.

I am not informed if anybody present at any of the events I went to caught Covid-19 at those events, but the director of the Belgrade Youth Centre was petrified when I still thought that I might have caught it in the crowd photographing a band outside the place and since then, he is not taking the mask off outside at all. I figured out that I was positive a couple of days before that as I lost sense of taste after the show and realised it while having my supper, but I never told him. He's in his late fifties and it's a good thing that I scared him, I think.

Come to think, while writing this, I realised that the rules were never loosened for the third time.

25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I just went on a pruning spree against the plants that my mum inherited from me when we swapped apartments, because they were out of control. Then I propagated all the cuttings.

Chyn: We're being overrun by plants! Off with their heads! No mercy!

Also Chyn: Let's make more plants!

:rolleyes:

And, ahem. I had forgotten that dwarf pomegranate trees are nasty pointy spiky. This particular one put up a helluva fight.