main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

mavjade , Chyntuck, Ewok Poet and 2 others like this.
  2. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    @Chyntuck, this really got to me. Because this stuck close to home. I hope you will be able to do that any time soon, hugging your mom.

I have not seen mine since September 2020 now and my husband, DarthUncle, visited his in the Netherlands the last time in March 2020.

As for getting vaccinated: neither DarthUncle (who counts as a 100% handicapped person since his kidney transplant in January 2019) or I as a kindergarten teacher at the creché department with the smallest of the smallest are due any time soon.

Which is fun for the local senate intends to fully open the kindergartens next week. Nice, since none of my colleagues are vaccinated either. It´s like dancing on knives.

I try to live with my fear, but my sleep is already interrupted and I wake up every hour in the night. Worried!

And writing fanfic as a coping mechanism or creating paintings/ drawings does not work any more. The latter is impossible for me since months!

Therefore, stay healthy, dear Chyn! And safe and happy and healthy! @};-

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think I'm suffering from food poisoning.

4. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Is that a thing in Sweden? I've been food poisoned once in my entire life and that was in Sweden...
    Anyways, get better soon.

5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    [face_laugh]

No, the last time was years ago and based on what I throw up was it likely my fault. I most have used some bad ingredients, or just heated them up enough.

Thank. I am feeling much better right now

6. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Was it the s...something fish thing that you grossed all of us with some years ago?

I hope you'll feel better soon. @};-

This is odd. But Germany is a large country. And all sixteen states get to decide on their own, right? Not here. Local government can only tighten or loosen some rules and that's it. In the event of a disaster of this kind, laws are easy to adjust in order to prevent even worse and tragic things from happening. And the vaccination queue...they pull out both names from the priority list, by levels of priority and a batch of people who signed up that don't belong to any priority list. The other day they said that there are only 5% of people who signed up themselves left and that they're to focus on the fourth priority group which is people living in extreme poverty and teachers of all kinds. But that can be achieved because there are enough vaccines at this point. I am not sure how it would work otherwise.

Then again, we manipulate the data on mortality percentage as we count it as a percentage of entire population of the country, as opposed per sample of 100 000 citizens. And no organisers of religion-related events and political rallies were prosecuted, neither was travel to mountains for vacation restricted. Somehow, they're above the law. I'm pretty sure that the death tool for April and July was doctored as well. I retrieved the stats showing the number of dead per month and while there was a spike in February 2019 when the south of the country had a nasty outbreak of seasonal flu, 2020 has spikes for April and July and from October to December the increase compared to 2019 is double. :( So, yeah, you can doctor the numbers in order not to cause panic, but that's because you are probably not counting people who died from Covid-19 and still had a negative PCR test.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett and Gamiel like this.
  7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No. There was no fish in my diet yesterday. Also, surströmming is eaten during late summer to autumn.

Thanks :) I'm feeling better but have a headache and feel worn.

8. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    @Gamiel I hope you feel better soon! I'll repeat what I said a few pages ago: go for avgolemono soup. It's a panacea.

There seems to be an uptick in food poisoning cases in this thread. That's, what, three in a month? We all need to be more careful.

Also I LOLed at the Jumanji clip. We've sown a few carnivorous plant seeds this year. They haven't sprouted yet and after that ^^ I'm not entirely sure I want them to.

@AzureAngel2 Sending lots of virtual (thus COVID-free) hugs your way. Take care too!

9. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Basically, yes. States have the right to set their own rules on most things so long as it doesn't contradict our Constitution. The federal government is only allowed do so much and almost everything has to be approved my representatives of the states (Congress). So the federal government can mandate things that they already control, like air transportation, so they can mandate masks for air travel, but they can't mandate everyone wear masks any time they are outside their home. 'States Rights' has been a really big issue in the history of the United States. (I put it in quotes because it's also been used as coded language/dog-whistle for people who support discrimination under the guise of rights. And used as the reason for our Civil War to diminish the fact that it was absolutely over slavery. )

Thank you!!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
    Gamiel and jcgoble3 like this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    The government (federal) could probably require masks. But sadly it would be really unpopular. There are still some state governments doing the right thing and having mask wearing, reduced capacity etc. but the Federal government leaves most of this to the states. The government leaves most domestic issues to the states. Minus some exceptions.

11. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Just scheduled my vaccinations for 3/16 and 4/13. I’m so relieved.

12. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Happy international women's day! :) Let the fight for proper equality continue. :)

And thanks to our dudes on here for being 10/10 in that respect, too. Because it's pretty rare.

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    The guys on here are class acts.

14. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    We do indeed have some very fine gentlemen here in this otherwise very female dominated sector.

So I have this weird conundrum. The Martian is my comfort book. Like whenever I'm going through a high anxiety time and need something to read/listen to (I own both a physical copy and the audiobook) that is brainless enough for me to not really have to think about it but also enjoyable/entertaining enough to hold my attention and lull me to sleep, I listen to The Martian. Needless to say, I've now listened/read it 4(ish?) times since the pandemic started. (It also doesn't help that the other "comfort audiobooks" I have are Harry Potter and I just got huge beef with JK Rowling right now I just can't bring myself to again consume what she has written quite yet). Given my recent (and quite long-lasting) descent into brain-mush, I've been listening to The Martian again (it's 10 hours long and I listen to like 15-20 minutes before going to sleep so I can drag it out over like a month). Anyways I'm almost done it (again) and part of me just wants to re-listen to it (AGAIN) because I'm slowly easing out of this brain-mush but I don't think my brain is quite ready for something new pre-bed reading just yet. But I also have a pile of new books I wanna read and a book club I've kinda (really) been neglecting.

I guess it's not like I have to re-read the WHOLE book again... just the first few chapters :p[face_blush]

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I sympathize. I read that book a lot. It makes me giggle and stress in equal measures and occasionally get choked up.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's such a great book and stands up to multiple re-reads so well! It's funny, intelligent, and has that nice level of excitement without being too nerve-wracking! I really shouldnt feel weird about re-reading it so often! So many people listen to the same music to fall asleep and this is just that. Though I did tell my friends that I'd make an attempt at this month's book club (I love keeping in contact with old friends from home, but at the same time, it's a lot of mental effort I just dont have right now).

My new shoes came! They are so cute and actually fit me!

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My brother didn’t tell me anything about the book, just put on the audiobook. At the end of the first chapter, he stopped and said what The Martian was and how it was being made into a movie by Ridley Scott. I was hooked and got friends into it.

I recently re-read The Wednesday Wars, which is about a kid forced to study Shakespeare when the rest of his class at a Long Island middle school goes to catechism or Hebrew school on Wednesdays. It’s during the Vietnam war and the civil rights movement and all of this plays a part in the plot. I’ve read it literally a dozen times and still cry when he gets to meet two of the New York Yankees and when his teacher’s MIA husband is found in Vietnam and when the school cook offers to give a home to the refugee she’s been punishing for being Vietnamese all year... I cry in the same places every time, but still read it over and over. It’s like how I know where I’ll cry in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, but still read them regularly.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  18. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    At least you folks read different books. I keep on re-reading One Hundred Years of Solitude since the very beginning of 2021, like a maniac. I am not sure if I want the world to be swept by an apocalyptic storm like Macondo or if I am just trying to understand life better from the premise of its and history's cyclical natures, as I am nearing 40.

Anyway...been down this week and it's not my long negotiations. I need achievements in life. Real achievements.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  19. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Great choice @Ewok Poet! I read One Hundred Years of Solitude for the first time some 30 years ago and it remains to this date my top contender for greatest novel of all time – albeit not a particularly cheerful read for, you know, the endless weeks when we're stuck at home.

Never read The Martian though. It's been on my list for a while. I should probably go ahead and order it, but I'm trying to avoid online bookshops right now because I tend to want to order EVERYTHING.

Jedi Knight Fett and Ewok Poet like this.
  20. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Agree on the greatest novel of all time contender thing, and definitely the biggest novel of the XX century.

I first read it in the worst possible moment when I was 16, finished it two evenings before the beginning of the NATO bombardment, creeped me out beyond belief. Returned to it a couple of times since, each time there was either a major thing going on in the world or to me and my family, but I never got this hooked - I literally have it open on my desktop PC all the time.

And I can't remember if it was a part of your XX century titles challenge, but I thought about it when I started re-reading it in January, somehow, and I dare not think what kind of WTF would have resulted from it, provided that whoever got the number had been familiar with it. Good kind of WTF, of course.

EDIT: Checked, there was Gabo, but not this book.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
  21. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Changing the subject completely with Chyntuquita's Adventures in Gardening, S01E02.

Her baobab seedling is doing well, thank you very much. As in, a little bit too well. One week after germination it's already 20 cm tall, and I'm beginning to get a sense of where Antoine de Saint-Exupéry got this idea that baobabs can take over planets.

The problem is that we just received in the mail a new batch of seeds for Malagasy baobab (the first one is African baobab), and well... soon there will be two of them.

I need to educate myself about bonsai. Urgently.

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett and Chyntuck like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Jedi Knight Fett and Chyntuck like this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    After plowing through a ton of books last year, reading fiction when I hadn't in quite some time (including an 8 book series) I find myself unable to read a book again. I've got several I really want to read but my brain is just like... nope. Last night I decided to try and read a book in dead tree format instead of on my Kindle to see if the change just helps, so we'll see. It's not really light reading, it's a biography of a guy who was in solitary confinement for 40 years for a crime he didn't commit. But it was either that or a book about the cholera outbreak in London in the mid 1800s. If this doesn't work, maybe I should read something I've read before.

Jedi Knight Fett, Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I was also able to read a ton of new books last year during the times my brain was actually working (including some really dense stuff). But I bought the book my bookclub is currently reading since my friend said it's a very quick read so I'm going to give it a try. It's about a theatre troop in a post-apocalypse setting.

But I've found re-reading stuff really helps when my brain decides it's not going to think. Or at least it keeps me entertained while my brain is mush.