main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    That's agood point. What kind of world are we dealing with here?

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    In the US Air Force, he'd have options. If he's single, he could have his own room in a barracks building (think middle-class hotel), or he could get an apartment of his own off-base, as long as his commute time is reasonably short. Sometimes singles who are good friends will share a place and split the rent. With a family, he'd qualify for a house in the base housing area (think middle-class suburbia), or they could buy or rent a house near the base.

3. Raissa Baiard

Raissa Baiard FFoF Artist Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Nov 22, 1999
    @Sarge thank, that helps! Basically my story idea involves him cooking dinner and having his girlfriend over, so I needed to know if it was feasible for him to have his own place, and it sounds like it would be. If it makes a difference, the world is Lothal.

4. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    SQUEEEEEEEEE! Already! [face_laugh]

Raissa Baiard and Findswoman like this.
  5. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    So, when you established a character having black hair in the OC thread, but you never explicitly mentioned that in stories as the physical appearance that is relatively normal would have distracted from character's behaviour, and then you have to pair them with a character whose hair is a vital part of their appearance and definitely black...

...is it all right to just retcon the first character's hair colour? :D

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Yes.

Tarsier, ZV-83 and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    Argh, usually Wookieepedia is my very good friend, but I didn't find the answer to this question there. Which planet was the settlement Aq Vetina located on? Was it on Nevarro too, or was it another planet?

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    No idea, have you tried in any of the The Mandalorian threads?

9. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Nope, but put in a question there now. Thanks for the input. I didn't think of that.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Glad to be of help :)

11. CaraJinn

Jan 8, 2018
    Nobody knew there either. It seems like nothing has been said about it anywhere. Good, then I can place it wherever I want.

pronker, ZV-83 and Gamiel like this.
  12. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    But for the sake of continuity you could put in some mention of the first character having dyed their hair.

13. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I said that it was never mentioned in a story.

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    The I wouldn’t worry at all. It only matters to your head canon in that case so go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Kuat of Kuat was never given a first name (that I could find). Before he was called the Kuat of Kuat, how would he have been referred to in regards to an aristocratic (not corporate) title? A prince? In the book Slave Ship, there is a line where the Kuat of Kuat is thinking about the members of House Knylenn:

"Knylenn telbuns were in fact the children of the already existing Knylenn adults, born in secret offworld locations and smuggled back to the planet Kuat, infant princes in disguise" - Kuat of Kuat, Slave Ship, by K. W. Jeter

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I think his first name is actually Kuat. A bit like you can have a Lord Lord of Lordington

ZV-83 likes this.
  17. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    Other Kuat's in the past had first names, like Onara Kuat, Quiberon Kuat, or Ursula Kuat. But would he be technically be considered a prince as the nephew of Onara Kuat or when Kuat of Kuat's father was the Kuat of Kuat? Not that they would say Prince Kuat of Kuat. He would I assume have a first name, just none was given in the books because one was not needed.

Edit: I am assuming this House structure is meant to reference House of Atreus (also used in Dune). In Dune, Duke Atreides would be the equivalent title of Kuat of Kuat in Star Wars. Only the head of House Kuat would have the title the Kuat of Kuat. The children within the House Kuat would be princes or princesses, just as Paul Atreides is a prince before his father Duke Leto Atreides is murdered, not to mention, Kuat of Kuat calls the male children in other Houses princes.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A question for the Latin speakers here (I think we have one or two) how would you translate "star nosferatus" and "space nosferatus" into Latin? I'm after nosferatu specifically, not just vampire, and in plural form

No, I meant that his name was Kuat, before becoming Kuat of Kuat, so he would actually be Kuat Kuat of Kuat. I have no reason for thinking this beside half forgotten discussion in Lit.

That's a possebility but there is also that House Kuat is the ruling house so may the royal hire has a higher/different title than prince, to mark him's importance.

ZV-83 likes this.
  19. ZV-83

ZV-83 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2020
    After I posted, I realized, yeah, they might just have named him Kuat, nothing in legends to state otherwise.

Cool! Yes, the heir might have a different title, but I couldn't find anything in legends to suggest the children of the Kuati Houses were referred to as anything other than by their names, or as princes (or princesses of course). The only guide I have is the line from Slave Ship.

Regarding the Kuat of Kuat, Legends does not specify (that I can find) if Kuat of Kuat was born to a telbun, or to perhaps even someone not from Kuat (can assume a telbun but it is left open), or even if he was born on Kuat (assuming Kuat though). In regards to his mother, Kuat of Kuat said "It would have been very difficult for the Elder to have sworn before our biological mothers that he would outlive me, since our mothers never met. Mine died in giving birth to me. I was raised in the household of Kuat by the father from whom I received my inheritance." - Kuat of Kuat, Slave Ship, by K. W. Jeter [edited 3/8/2021 to add improved citation of sources and content]

Thank you by the way for answering my strange questions :) I find the wookiepedia pages for the members of the House of Kuat not as helpful as I hoped they would be.

1. The author for the wookiepedia article "Kuat's father" wrote "The man kept a low profile throughout his career". I don't see that listed in either The Mandalorian Armor or the listing for Onara Kuat in the Databank. I might be missing something though.

2. The wookiepedia articles do not mention the unique awareness ability or what I would simply call force sensitivity of the Kuat family. His father raised him after all, I assume some training was needed to understand this ability, but the book does not specify. In chapter 2 of The Mandalorian Armor - "Kuat of Kuat had felt the hyperspace messenger pod's approach even before his own corporate security chief came to tell him that it had been intercepted. He had a fine-tuned awareness of machines, from the smallest nanosporoids to constructions capable of annihilating worlds. It was a family trait, something encoded deep within the Kuat blood for generations." - Kuat of Kuat, The Mandalorian Armor, by K. W. Jeter [edited 3/8/2021 to add improved citation of sources and content]

20. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    The plural of nosferatu is nosferatu. It doesn't change just because it's Latin as it's a name of something (Latin could change it to be nosferati but that still isn't right as it's not an original Latin word). Space is spatium and stars is stellae.

Stellae Nosferatu would be your best bet

Gamiel and ZV-83 like this.
  21. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Don't we want a genitive in there? As in, stellarum nosferatu or spatii nosferatu? (Also, I'd be in favour of making up a Latin plural for Nosferatu in this context, but that's just me.)

ZV-83 and Gamiel like this.
  22. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    The word Nosferatu would almost certainly be using the fourth declension. Therefore, singular genitive is Nosferatus, plural Nosferatuum. And though it's a masculine noun, because of its -u ending, it would have to use the suffixes used by the neuters such as cornu.

Nosferatu
    Nosferatus
    Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Nosferatua
    Nosferatuum
    Nosferatibus
    Nosferatua
    Nosferatua
    Nosferatibus

Hope that helps. :)

ZV-83, Chyntuck and Gamiel like this.
  23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    A suggestion, if you have questions about book EU or ships could you also ask them in the Lit section here, some of them there have some real deep knowledge

ZV-83 likes this.
  24. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    I think you and [mention]Ewok Poet [/mention] are waaay more likely to be right. My Latin is 20+ years old and almost never used. Plus terrible at the translation stuff anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gamiel and Chyntuck like this.
  25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    I vote for stellarum nosferatu (singular) and stellarum nosferatua (plural). EP what do you say?

Gamiel likes this.