main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph 2021 Film Awards Season (Golden Globes, Academy Awards, etc.)

Discussion in 'Community' started by heels1785 , Feb 3, 2021.

1. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    They gave The Trial of the Chicago 7 a nomination...for stunts? Are you serious?

darthcaedus1138 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    They also saw the Globes' Glenn Close nomination and . . .raised them by Amy Adams.

3. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Sitting in a courtroom. Every stunt person's wet dream.

4. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  5. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Promising Young Woman is quite solid revenge thriller, I am somewhat surprised that it's been pushed up to awards season territory but I ain't minding.

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    It has the weight of being about an important social issue at a moment when that issue is still quite fresh in everyone's mind, of course, but I think it's also very important that it never fully goes into horror territory like a lot of these revenge fantasies do. I mean, the climax, as well as a lot of the movie, is quite horrifying in some ways, but compare it to something like Coralie Fargeat's Revenge from 2017 which dealt with these same issues, but the vengeance wreaked in that movie was absolutely blood-soaked and as graphically violent as any movie I've seen, I think.

One way isn't necessarily better than the other, though I do prefer Revenge if I have to straight up say which of the two movies I like better. Promising Young Woman has the virtue of allowing its main character to keep her hands basically clean, despite her obvious mental and emotional traumas.

It also allows her the dignity of, ultimately, being a victim; her act of revenge is an act of sacrifice. I'm conflicted as to how I feel about that. Revenge allowed its female lead to have her revenge, but also to walk away stronger and fully empowered. Say what you want about Promising Young Woman's lead . . . she empowers herself in many ways, but ultimately, her redemption as a character comes by being once again over-powered and victimized by a man. Is that problematic? May . . . be. I could make a case that it is; I could also make the case that's it a more sophisticated take than Fargeat's in Revenge. Maybe the point is that society is structured so a woman is required to be revictimized every time she tries to redress an already existing wrong. That's certainly true; see the ways in which rape victims are demonized and torn to shreds by the media or the police or the courts whenever they try to report the crimes committed against them.

Regardless, I love both Revenge and Promising Young Woman and there's a place for both the Grand Guignol, gore as catharsis approach of the former and the more complex, less overt approach of the latter when it comes to discussing the victimization of women. Though I too am surprised to see PYW getting so much awards love; it's such a weird film tonally and structurally for one thing.

Bacon164 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  7. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Golden Globes this Sunday. The ceremony will air live coast to coast 5-8 p.m. PT/8-11 p.m. ET on NBC

Happy to see "Schitt's Creek" nominated.
    "Hamilton" has two noms and I'd be VERY surprised if they don't take home both of them.
    I see "The Mandalorian" is up against a bunch of things I haven't seen. I'm guessing "The Crown" will probably win it.
    I think "Soul" will take one home over "Onward", but that's just because I liked Soul a lot more than Onward.

I don't think Musical/Comedy should be grouped together. They're two very different things.

8. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    Well, I saw Nomadland. And I really loved both Mank & Promising Young Woman. But Nomadland . . . that movie destroyed me. Haven't seen The Father yet, but at the moment, Nomadland is my easy choice for the best of the Drama category at the Globes. Honestly, 2021 is going to have to go a long way to give me a better movie than Nomadland. I know it's only February, but, man.

9. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    I saw Nomadland was on Hulu, so I decided to give it a watch because you gave it such glowing remarks, @Rogue1-and-a-half . I'm sorry, but I didn't care of it. Frances McDormand was very compelling to watch, and I understand the feel the movie was going for, but I guess the lifestyle rubbed me the wrong way. It was portrayed as a freeing life, but a very hard life. I could never do it, nor would I want to, but Fern made a conscience choice to live that way, almost like she had to, but I didn't get why she had to. The one lady's story about the desert being her boat made sense to me, so was the movie trying to sell me on the nomad life? Or was it trying to make me care about the people that live the nomad life? It felt a little preachy at one point and I definitely didn't like that.

If feels like most of these nomad people suffered a loss, then decided to live the nomad life, which seems to be a very solitaire lifestyle. Although, there were many scenes in the movie where it is shown that these nomads were kind of a tight night community. You don't say goodbye; you say see you down the road. At multiple times of the movie everyone knew Fern's name, heck even random cigarette kid remembered her.

My buddy who hiked the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine told me that the big saying on the trail was "hike your own hike". That means go at your own pace because your job for the next 6 months is to walk. That's it. You have beautiful nature, fresh air, time with your thoughts, and maybe you run into someone, you chat them up, you hike a little bit together and then you never see them again. Along the way my friend met a group of people and kind of hung with them for a good chunk of the trail. So the trail life, the nomad life, it's not really my thing and neither was whatever this movie was trying to be.

Sadly, I couldn't get the idea out of my head that Frances McDormand's character lost all her money on the three billboards so that's why she was now living the nomad life. 8-}

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I think I'm just very in tune with Chloe Zhao as a filmmaker. She's just got something that rings absolutely true to me. But a movie like Nomadland is never going to be a blockbuster, so if you had a lesser experience with the movie than I did, I can understand that.

I think it's a movie that's trying to depict the lifestyle. It shows you the moments of freedom and joy, but also the sorrows and hardships. I don't think it's trying to sell you on anything; I certainly don't feel like it was ever preachy. I think it is a movie that has a tremendous amount of empathy for its characters, which is something I also felt about Zhao's last movie, The Rider.

I think one of the main questions you have going into the movie is why a person would choose the nomad lifestyle and the movie's answer is that there are as many reasons as there are people out there. Everyone has a personal story about why they're out there and most of them are sad stories, really. And I think Zhao just wants us to think about that and feel that. Some of those people are right where they belong on the road; on the other hand, you wish some of them, like Derek, could find a way back home. I think the movie is ambiguous about that. For some, the lifestyle is healthy; for others, it's not.

Fern is a very closed off character in a lot of ways and she is more driven than a lot of the other nomads. You're right that she kind of has to live that life and she isn't really able to articulate why. But every time she gets a chance to stay somewhere or pull back from the road, she just can't and she can never really explain it to anyone, not that she ever really tries. I think another thing Zhao likes exploring is characters who are inarticulate for whatever reason. Fern is never going to sit down and have a big speech about why she's out there, like a couple of the supporting characters do; we pick up some hints here and there and her story is a very sad one. But I found her fascinating as a character and, even thought I didn't entirely understand her, I felt the emotional truth of her journey, her reticence with connection, her sadness about her losses, and the moments of joy she found out on the road. I just found it very emotionally moving. There's a lot of pain in the movie and a lot of sorrow, but also the idea that you just do what you can and keep on moving; if you can find a way to get over the losses you've endured, do it - but, as Bob says near the end, if you can't get over them, well, that's okay too. I think Fern takes her first steps toward getting over her losses by the end of the movie; will she stay on the road or will moving toward healing help her find a more stable place? We have Dave as an example of that healing second chance at stability. But I suspect Fern keeps on moving. Her urge to wander predates her losses. But maybe she'll be a little more at ease and in a little less pain and that's a good thing.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  11. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    I'm not saying that I've produced an award show during a pandemic but I think I could do better than who is in charge of the Golden Globes tonight. Is there a reason they keep cutting the camera during a speech to someone who isn't the winner or the presenter who's aimlessly standing there?

12. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    There were elements of Trial of the Chicago 7 that I enjoyed. The script was not one of them.

13. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    It was nice of them to have First Responders at the tables the celebs would normally be. If anybody deserves have a night were they get all dressed up and sit in a fancy ballroom, it's them.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    solojones and Guidman like this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Jason Sudekis only one keeping it real wearing sweats at the Golden Globes.

Anyway Bob Odenkirk continues to be robbed. But it's the Golden Globes so who cares

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    solojones likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Missed out on the show since my Tivo is still down (will hopefully get it repaired soon, and before the Oscars if I'm lucky). Given the more limited nature of the award selections and presentation this year, figure its a good year to miss them same-day/live.

16. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Saw Andra Day won for The United States vs. Billy Holiday.

Good. I watched it last night and she absolutely disappeared into her. An amazing performance and definitely a movie I would recommend- it does not shy away from anything and yet, you can’t help but sympathize with Billy.

Juliet316 likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Chadwick Boseman's widow accepted his posthumous globe, and tissues need to be on hand before you watch that.

18. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    When a director is the kind of striking visual stylist Sorkin is, I can forgive a mediocre script.

19. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    No surprise but the ratings last night were bad:

https://tvline.com/2021/03/01/tv-ratings-golden-globes-2021-virtual-fey-poehler/

Big part of that is the virtual telecast but again the telecast (along with the other award shows) have been declining rapidly for the ten plus years. I just go back to the fact that there is just too much new content people can watch instead. My wife used to be a person glue to award shows like the GG and especially the Oscars. Last night? She had me DVR it so she skimmed thru the dresses as she put it. She didn't watch it though. We caught up on some DVR instead.

20. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Nomadland won big at the Critics Choice Awards last night. Oscar nominations come out next week, and it already looks like some awards are a lock, barring some crazy snubs.

21. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Very true. Your "too much content" statement is dead on and the fact that a lot of that content isnt even available to a lot of people due to so much proprietary programming. I mean, how many services can one belong to before the cost & hassle gets to be too much? I have Netyflix, AZ prime and Disney+ and thats IT. And Amazon is mostly for the free shipping and other perks. Not going do this 17 streaming services nonsense. No thanks.

Also, a lot of viewers are no doubt put off by the political rants and soapbox speeches that they have to endure from spoiled brat celebs.. This is a more recent phenomenon and it grates ones nerves. Thats another reason for ratings drop. Ricky Gervais NAILED it a few years ago when he laid it all out there. You know it was accurate because much of the room was cringing and looked uncomfortable. Turns out regular folks just want to watch an awards show and nothing else. Is that so hard?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    You really gotta stop talking out of your ass. See here and here.
    Except not, lol. If people just cared about who won what they wouldn't tune in to a 2+ hour long telecast featuring all their favorite celebrities. It's boring as hell when winners just go up and rattle off a list of people to thank- watch the back-to-back acceptance speeches by Renee Zelweger and Joaquin Pheonix from last year's awards season and tell me who's speeches were more enjoyable.

solojones and heels1785 like this.
  23. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    The point is that Im pretty sure that people are tired of it and dont care to be preached to by spoiled millionaires about how they should think. This no doubt has led to some of the loss of viewership. I dont care if the Oscars have had some politics in them since day 1. Its that I think people are tired of it. Of course, you agree with the politics so its all ducky. Not everyone does or wants to hear it.

Sarge likes this.
  24. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    All TV viewership except live sports is tanking. Awards shows are just part of that. The real issue is the medium. The Game Awards, which are streaming only in most countries, have fantastic viewership that's growing every year.

heels1785 likes this.
  25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol no one's telling anyone how they should think- it's just celebrities sharing their opinions to what they know is a wide-reaching audience. What they say doesn't impact anyone but themselves and their own public images. It may come as a shock to you, but movie award ceremonies are just as much about the people involved in filmmaking as they are about the actual films. They talk about random **** all the time it's expected at this point; who cares if some of it is political.

solojones and Adam of Nuchtern like this.