main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Mini-Games Challenge (Now Open For NEW 2024 Challenges!)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Mar 15, 2020.

1. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    Can I have 2, @amidalachick? :)

I wonder if I will get something that could go together with Monster Challenge.

I never refreshed, so at the time I saw this, it was still a 1, but it woul've been a 4 either way, so...wait, what am I talking about?

And I am positive that you'll write a good thing. :)

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
  4. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    It'll be fine; I've already have an outline and part of the story written. After all, non-humans are a specialty! (I should get that printed on my business cards....)

And I'm looking forward to see what @Findswoman does with Jar Jar. :)

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    [face_laugh] I'm looking forward to the Jar Jar romp as well.

6. Pandora

Pandora Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    The Pretty, Dreamy, Yet Wistfully Sad Classical Piano Challenge.

What the title says.

I have chosen five classical piano pieces--and no, they are not all by Chopin, though I must admit I was tempted there for a minute. (That would have been "The Dreamy Chopin Challenge.") You pick a number, and then I shall give you the corresponding song to inspire your story.

-------------------------------

1. Findswoman Frédéric Chopin - Nocture No. 19 in E Minor, Op. 72 / Bright Sadness
    2. Ewok Poet Erik Satie - Gymnopédie No. 1
    3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Ludwig van Beethoven - Moonlight Sonata (Movement One) / Moonlight Becomes You So
    4. Mira_Jade Robert Schumann - Papillons Op. 2 / So Few Things
    5. ViariSkywalker Philip Glass - Metamorphosis One / In Dreams We Dwell

Last edited: Oct 24, 2021
    achanes, Kahara, Mira_Jade and 4 others like this.
  7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Oh, @Pandora, how exquisite! Could I have #3 please? :) [face_sigh]

Kahara, Mira_Jade , Pandora and 2 others like this.
  8. amidalachick

amidalachick Force Ghost star 5

Aug 3, 2003
    @RX_Sith Oh, yay! #3 is one of my personal favorites, "Hey Stoopid".

Hey Stoopid: Video|Lyrics

@Ewok Poet For #2 you get "It Rained All Night". Hope it works for your Monster-y muse! :D

It Rained All Night: Video|Lyrics

9. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @WarmNyota_SweetAyesha : You certainly can! You have received Ludwig van Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata (Movement One)."

10. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002
    @Pandora I definitely would sign up for an all-Chopin challenge, but I'll take #5 for this one, please!

Kahara, Mira_Jade , Pandora and 3 others like this.
  11. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @ViariSkywalker : Ask, and you shall receive: your piece is "Metamorphosis One" by Philip Glass.

12. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    The Discworld Challenge

[​IMG]

Through the fathomless deeps of space swims the star turtle Great A’Tuin, bearing on its back the four giant elephants who carry on their shoulders the mass of the Discworld. A tiny sun and moon spin around them, on a complicated orbit to induce seasons, so probably nowhere else in the multiverse is it sometimes necessary for an elephant to cock a leg to allow the sun to go past.

Exactly why this should be may never be known. Possibly the Creator of the universe got bored with all the usual business of axial inclination, albedos and rotational velocities, and decided to have a bit of fun for once.

And from this work came many amazing stories written by Sir Terry Pratchett GNU.

From this mighty trove I have selected (with great difficulty) five quotes that will work in any universe. They really aren't character specific, I tried to find things that would work without having read any discworld.

Thus I present to you...

The Discworld mini challenge!

1. @Raissa Baiard -"Fear is a strange soil. Mainly it grows obedience like corn, which grows in rows and makes weeding easy. But sometimes it grows the potatoes of defiance, which flourish underground."
    2. @devilinthedetails - “Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness.”
    3. @Mira_Jade - “It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”
    4. @Kahara - "The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head."
    5. @brodiew “Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.
    But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.”

Index

2. @devilinthedetails - Better to Light a Flamethrower

Last edited: Sep 23, 2022
  13. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    The Xenobiology Challenge
    For those who like non-humans or for those who want to write something new, this is the challenge for you!
    We all know about very popular human-like SW aliens, but nobody really gives any love to those lesser known aliens in the GFFA which is why you won't be given something like a Twi'lek or a Chiss to write about.

It's easy! Just pick a number and I'll give you a relatively weird or just lesser known SW alien from my massive cognitive library to write about in any way/genre/style you want to. Some background research may be needed which is where the fun comes in.

Index

1. Selonian for @Findswoman
    Revwien for @Thumper09
    Fosh for @Kit'
    Iyra for @Seldes_Katne
    Dug for @Ewok Poet

Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Number 3 please [mention]gizkaspice [/mention]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  15. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    Yes! Aliens! *cracks knuckles* All right, bring it on!
    I'm a librarian -- I live for research!

Ahem. Number 4, please.

16. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    Kahara and Mira_Jade like this.
  17. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
  18. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @Ewok Poet: You have received Erik Satie's "Gymnopédie No. 1."

19. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Got it in the index—hooray and thank you so much! :D

And so many new challenge riches to choose from! Let’s see here...

@Pandora , is #1 in your piano challenge still available?

And @gizkaspice, if there is a number remaining in your exobiology challenge, I would love to take it. :)

Thanks, and keep the creativity coming! [face_dancing]

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Pandora and 3 others like this.
  20. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    WHAT AN AMAZING SELECTION OF CHALLENGES!!!! [face_dancing] [face_dancing]

I've edited the index on the first page. As always, if there's something missing and/or wrong, please let me know. Also, since we had quite the slew of fantastic challenges posted in a short period of time, I am going to put a little 'summary' post here, along with the prompts that are still available, for anyone looking for inspiration. :D

21. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    And, um, not to double post, but I didn't want to muddy up my last comment with anything irrelevant to hosting. . .

@Pandora, I would LOVE to take to take #4 for your challenge. I already adore all of the selections that have been claimed. [face_love]

@Kit', #3 for me, please! I can only imagine what would come of a Diskworld challenge. :p

Thanks!

NICE!! When I tell you that I read this and inspiration slammed into me in one of those perfect moments where the author and the muse collide, I really mean it. I can't wait to see where this idea takes me. [face_mischief] [face_dancing] [:D]

Kahara, Ewok Poet, Pandora and 3 others like this.
  22. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Kessel Run Hostess and Champion star 4 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Aug 9, 2002

Finally got a chance to listen to this properly, and I LOVE it. And then I went ahead and listened to all the other parts of Metamorphosis. [face_love]

Definitely some great inspiration here...

Kahara, Mira_Jade , Ewok Poet and 4 others like this.
  23. Pandora

Apr 13, 2005
    @Findswoman: It was available, and now is yours: and you have received Frédéric Chopin's Nocture No. 19 in E Minor, Op. 72.

-----------

@Mira_Jade : It's yours! You have received "Papillons Op. 2" by Robert Schumann. This is admittedly the least wistfully sad--and the most bouncy--in the selection, but it is still pretty enough, I trust, to count. (It also has the distinction of being one of the last pieces I heard performed live, "before the dark times," so there's that too.)

Kahara, Mira_Jade , Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  24. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    And I'm super excited that you love aliens as much as I do [face_dancing]

I'm not a librarian but I also live for research(!!!) :D Maybe I should become a librarian [face_thinking]

@Seldes_Katne for #4 you get the lovely multi-legged Iyra !

@Kit' #3 you get the purple space chickens, the Fosh !

Of course! @Thumper09 you get #2 , the sentient plant-alien Revwien !

@Ewok Poet #4 is already taken, so I can give you #5 the Dugs!

Today's your lucky day @Findswoman because you get the last number, #1 the space otters, Selonians! (note: there are many depictions of them, so it's really up to you how you want them to look :D)

These went faster than expected--hope everyone is happy with their # and looking forward to some great stories and potential world building/expansion ;)

Kahara, Mira_Jade , Ewok Poet and 3 others like this.
  25. Seldes_Katne

Mar 18, 2002
    I frequently tell people I have the best job in the world. I'm in the Youth Services area of library work (which of course includes research), but Reference was my second choice. There's certainly no harm in, ah, researching the field. [face_whistling]

One of the questions Gamiel asked me during my Fanfiction Interview in February was what Terrestrial animal I thought should appear in the GFFA. I said octopus. And here it is! :D

And me with two reference books on octopuses at home. What a coincidence.... ;) Off to research!