main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A/V AHSOKA Lit Thread - All Spoilers Under TAGs!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Zorkel567, Dec 10, 2020.

1. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    With you on that.

Daneira likes this.
  2. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean have you SEEN him on Sherlock. Just put Blue on him and he IS THRAWH

3. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Meh. That's partially why it doesn't thrill me. Even if he wanted to do it, it would be sleepwalking. That and the last time they tried to bring him into a major SF property as a beloved villain, everything about it was totally lame. I like him as Dr. Strange, though.

4. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wrong Mikkelson

Also you didn't understand what i was talking about I'm PRO MIKKELSTON AS THRAWN

I was talking about Lars Mickelson character on Sherlock! Lasrs Mikkelston character on Sherlock...IS THRAWN!

THIS GUY...IN THE MUSIC VIDEO THING....I didn't find a good clip of him.

But I do like Into Darkness

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2021
  5. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Filoni actually mentioned in an interview that he first became aware of Lars through his role in Sherlock.

But it’s funny, I remember Tim Zahn raving about the performance because he loved Lars’ Danish accent and how it worked to subtly distinguish Thrawn from the other big Imperial who spoke with very traditional English accents and show that he’s not from the main Galaxy.

It’s nothing huge, but it’s a nice little thing that would have been lost had Cumberbatch gotten the role.

Mia Mesharad and Daneira like this.
  6. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think Lars brings to him a certain subtly and calmness to the role.

Cummberbatch can do the smart intellect thing but there is always a intensity to it.

Lars I think brings the intensity by being not intense at all which makes it intense...if that makes sense.

Plus (Though i might be wrong on this) i like the fact Lars is a bit older ...gives some age and seniority to Thrawn and his character instead of making him a bit to young.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2021
    Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  7. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    It’s the dissonant serenity of his voice. He’s always speaking in a soft, calm, almost gentle manner even when situations should call for a more overt or emotional reaction. It’s unsettling because it makes him seem inhuman, which, like the accent feeds into the character’s “alien” quality.

With Cumberbatch, he’s got a clear cut British accent that’s more in line with Tarkin and other stereotypical Imperials than it would be with this mysterious alien that’s suddenly part of the Empire. And his voice is significantly deeper too, which is just more naturally threatening and kind of defeats the purpose of Thrawn’s unnatural calm.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

That’s a great point and that’s something I don’t think the original TTT or the other voice I associate Thrawn with (Marc Thompson...before he switched it up for the new stuff) really gets at

Thrawn is a alien....he isn’t a human.

and Lars accent and acting chops really play on that fact and it’s a great addition to adapting the character

9. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I always liked Thrawn, but after Lars, I love him. He took Thrawn to the next level for me. Also, canon Thrawn even looks like Lars. I’m sure that was intentional. And there’s precedence with Sackhoff playing Bo Katan. All signs point to Lars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I think if the actor who voiced the character has live action experience (Like Sackhoff and Lars) then they'll make the leap.

If they don't (Like Ashley) then I think they get recasted

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2021
  11. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Ethnicity is part of it in some cases, too (although I'm all in favor of David Oyelowo as live action Kallus and no explanation being offered).

Sorry I messed up the Sherlock reference, though! I only really saw maybe the first two seasons, and that was a long time ago.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Third Season is kinda eh...But I would watch just to see Lars Mikkelston in action because seriously....oof chills...literal chills, he is Thrawn. Or at least find clips of Lars character in Sherlock.

Yeah ethnicity is also a factor in it too..(Though I do like your Kallus idea ;p) however i think more or less now a days Lucas film is gonna be and has been way more picky in it's animated casting because now they know they CAN make the jump to live action.

I mean look at the Star Wars Resistance characters, they look just like their voice actors.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2021
  13. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    You're right, and although that probably isn't going anywhere since the series didn't really catch on, they were clearly already thinking about that.

Interestingly too, what we know of Bad Batch is that has five guys (and more) who will be voiced by the guy who's always voiced them, and Ming-Na Wen ported over from her live action role. And it seems highly probably that we'll get a lot of appearances by known characters from all over the saga (like, Gideon isn't unlikely and Tarkin we know already) so it feels like the show is going to have a mix of established live action actors crossing over into animation, long-standing voice actors returning to characters, or people who are now already kind of both (Bo-Katan, Saw). I mean, Mon Mothma has been that way for a good long time now.

AusStig and Jid123Sheeve like this.
  14. SyndicThrass

Sep 25, 2016
    I imagine guys like Dee Bradley Baker, Steve Blum, Vanessa Marshall, Mary Elizabeth McGlynn, Stephen Stanton etc all the long-standing established voice actors are pretty much members of the family over at LFL and will have roles in all the animated projects going forward, even if they do try to cast with live action in mind.

Daneira and AusStig like this.
  15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Griff and Freya look like Stanton and McGlynn - so this is a clear example of the opposite, making the character design look like the voice actors. They also had Vanessa Marshall do the mocap for Hera in Squadrons even though it resulted in Hera having a different face than usual, but it still worked. Rook Kast also looks like Vanessa Marshall. I also think Tech (of the Bad Batch) looks like Dee Bradley Baker. The Bad Batch would be the easiest of all Fett clones to make the jump to live action because they don't need to look identical. Baker, Temuera Morrison, Bodie Taylor, and Daniel Logan could all play a different clone.

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I've been thinking about how the Ashoka series is a one and done series (A limited series they are calling it) and since I am 99% positive Sabine will be in it...I do wonder if Mandalorian is still going on, if Sabine will then cross over to Mandalorian one the Ashoka series is done or even appear before the Ashoka series and maybe come back into the Mandalorian again.

17. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Wait where did they call Ashoka a limited series? I thought that was just Lando.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

AusStig likes this.
  19. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Limited does have a fair amount of interpretation where US TV is concerned, may be purely in relation to the episode count being less than a half (10-13) or full (20-26) season.

20. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    That's changed fairly quickly as the whole syndication model has died on the vine. Streaming series are now usually 8-12 episodes. I honestly think that shift happened because UK series with similar episode counts started doing well on Netflix and such right as syndication was waning as a concern, and creatives actually liked the model, so the expectations have shifted. It's probably for the best, content-wise.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I think it also helps each ep have a higher level of resource granted due to a lesser number of episodes.

22. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Pretty soon we’re gonna start calling seasons, series :p

I mean Mandalorian already calls it’s episodes Chapters ...lol

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Good, about time you caught up with the rest of the world. ;)

Jid123Sheeve likes this.
  24. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

AMERICA :p

Just messing with you

but in all seriousness I love how streaming on Disney + have given these shows the chance to be the length the creators want or need them to be instead of them being forced to be to long to go into circulation this stretching out something to much.

more or less it seems

Jedi Ben likes this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think shows also works best when it's 10 epsidoes, no filler or meaningless episodes just to fill out the season. tell the story you want to tell. also you can use your budget on the episodes more. Also the more popular the series get the more budget.