main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Our Big Fat Lasat Wedding (Zeb/OC; romance, family; ad-hoc OTP Challenge #16)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Findswoman , Aug 9, 2020.

1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you so much, as always, for reading and commenting! Always a joy! :)

Wow, thank you, what a compliment! I really appreciate that! [face_love] I have to say I really enjoyed writing this wedding ceremony for these two—it was really kind of a self-indulgence experience, in its way, and all the more so since I’ve been wanting to write their wedding scene for a long time. So I’m extra delighted that you enjoyed it—thanks so much again! :)

(blushes muchly) Why, thank you so much! :D

EXACTLY THIS—this wias a tough chapter to write, and that is exactly why. The importance of the milestone, combined with the fact that I’ve been wanting to write this particular milestone for so long! But there was no time like the present, especially with @Raissa Baiard ’s excellent Milestones challenge. :)

Every milestone—or pretty close to every—has its bittersweet side, I figured! I know it took a bit for me to get my head around leaving my childhood room; marriage really is a big life change that affects all areas of your everyday life, and gives one a lot to get used to. It’s one I knew I wanted to highlight in this scene, since I figured Shulma would be attached to her cozy little attic room—and I’ve been attached to it, too, in the course of writing stories about her.

Awww! Well, [face_love] [face_love] right back! Thanks so much!

Thanks! I admit I had been a bit concerned about this part—would it mar the grand ceremonial atmosphere to have him slip up in a Zebbish sort of way like this? So I’m glad you felt it worked! :)

Oh, well, shucks, thank you. [face_blush] Just process-wise, the entire scene worked out to be an interesting combination of “ogoshihavetogetthisjustexactlyright” and complete, unabashed self-indulgence! I am so glad you enjoyed it—and I know I’m saying that a lot, but I mean it, every time.

Aw, I’m so glad you liked this! Because this was one of those parts I REALLY REALLY REALLY wanted to get just right, and I went back and forth a good bit about whether to have Shulma doing the chanting herself or not (I know I’d have been a complete ball of nerves if I’d tried to do any such thing at my wedding). So, thank you, once again! <3

Thanks so much—that common service to Lasan and the Ashla indeed one of the central properties of this couple as I imagine them, and was one of the big themes in “Light of Lasan.” I wanted to get it across here, too, without repeating myself too much—so I am glad that came off! :)

Thanks again—he really is a grounding, strengthening, and comforting force to her in so many ways, or at least that is how I have always imagined things. <3

Well, shucks, [face_love] [face_love] [face_love] and all positive adjectives right back atcha! :)

Aw, well, thanks again! It makes me so happy that you enjoyed it so much—really, it does—and I really and truly enjoyed finally “getting it down on paper” (!), too! As always, your support for these stories mine means the world and makes my day, every single time. Thank you, and I mean that. @};-

All right, last chapter incoming shortly, featuring a big fat Lasat wedding feast! Thank you all once again! :)

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    And here you go! Thank you all once again for being here to read, and especial thanks to @Raissa Baiard for beta reading and helping make not only this chapter but the entire story a lot better. @};-

The growing-season sun was high and golden as the guests milled eagerly outside the main temple of the Academy of Shamans. They hushed and made way as the two rows of Honor Guards marched out, bo-rifles drawn in rifle mode. One of them—Groz, who stood closest to the door—barked a command, and they stopped and turned inward to form an aisle through the crowd; another, and they opened their weapons into staff mode; yet another, and they ignited them and raised them, crossing them to form an arch of various shades of yellow, golden, and purple flares. The shawm player and drummer came next, playing a lively flourish, and marched to stand off to the side of the door, where the drummer continued with a low roll.

“Greetings, gentlebeings all!” Groz announced. “It is my distinct pleasure to present the newly married couple: Captain Garazeb Orrelios and Shaman First Ordinary Shulma Trilasha Orrelios!”

The shawm and drum burst forth with a fanfare and the guests applauded as Zeb and Shulma emerged from the temple door, arm in arm, and made their way through the arch. Just as they reached the end, the last pair of Guards—Gron and Shai—lowered their crossed weapons to block their way.

“Sir, the Lasan High Honor Guard requires a kiss to pass, sir,” said Gron, and Shai added, “Yeah, Zebby.”

“Right,” said Zeb, and without hesitation pulled his bride close for a lengthy kiss. Again the guests broke into cheers and applause. When the newlyweds finally separated, Gron and Shai raised their bo-rifles to allow them to pass. “Welcome to the Honor Guard, Your Reverence,” said Gron to Shulma, raising his bo-rifle to her in salute.

“And welcome to the Academy of Shamans, Captain!” called out Yhazi from the crowd. She struck her staff and thrust it upward to send a volley of colorful sparkle-streamers directly over the heads of the newlyweds. Several of the other shamans did the same amid a new round of cheers—and another kiss.

Then the shawm and drum struck up again to conduct the newlyweds to the waiting staff speeder (this time driven by Supply Sergeant Skaavatou, the Guard’s quartermaster), and off they sped to the grand mess hall of the Honor Guard base for the wedding feast.

* * *​

The mess hall was gaily decorated for the occasion. Garlands of colorful ribbons, flowers, and lights hung all over, adorning the rough-hewn stone walls and festooning the timbers and rafters. Three long tables dominated the center of the space; the one on the left was covered with a golden-yellow cloth, the one on the right with white, and the one in the center with lilac-purple, once again symbolizing the sun, the stone, and the Lasat. At the front of the room was space for dancing and a minstrels’ gallery where four musicians—all Honor Guards—played a wooden flute, a foot harp, a frame drum, and a foot-cranked bass drone fiddle.

At the head of the central, purple-dressed table, Zeb and Shulma sat together on a garlanded, cushioned settee and received their guests as they entered. Zeb’s comrades from the Honor Guard came in first. They descended upon their newly married captain with so many hearty back thumps and shoulder punches that it was almost like another betrothal fight. They greeted the bride with more restrained shoulder touches, back pats, and salutes, and they blew on the red flowers that both spouses wore on their shoulders—signifying a wish that they might brave all adversity.

“Well, Zeb, ol’ boy,” said Groz, pulling Zeb into a hefty side hug, “You did it. Pretty karabastin’ awesome, if y’ask me.”

“Heh, well, thank you for bein’ there,” Zeb replied. He pulled Gunvar to him with the other arm, then Velibor. “I couldn’t’ve done it without ya. All of ya.”

Groz grinned. “Aw, ’course you could. We never had any doubts.”

“Hey, speak for yourself,” chimed in Gunvar. “I was worried about him for a sec there. That lightning bond stuff’s serious business. Gotta say, Zeb, it was pretty brave of ya to go ahead with all that.”

“Yeah, I agree,” chuckled Zeb, turning to wink at his bride. She winked back.

“Lightning bond or no lightning bond,” sniffed Velibor, “I still can’t believe you ended up finding someone before I did.”

Gunvar shoved him. “I can.’

Groz shoved him, too. “Yeah, you lost that bet long ago, Vel.”

“Aw, Vel, don’tcha worry.” Zeb pulled Velibor into a side hug and affectionately ruffled one of his exaggeratedly fluffy sideburns, occasioning a grimace. “You’re a swell ol’ son-of-a-murglak, you’ll find yourself someone. It’ll happen to ya when ya least expect it. Just you wait an’ see.”

“It happened when he least expected it, too,” added Shulma, tapping her husband’s chest. “He was covered with bandages in a hospital bed.” The others hooted and laughed as further thumps and hugs were exchanged.

Yhazi and Rishla came in next. “Oh, Shulma!” Rishla cried, throwing her arms around her friend. “Oh, where even to start—you’re so lovely, and everything was so wonderful, and I’m just so, so happy for you two!”

“Yep, you and Captain Gorgeous Stripes, together forever! Just the way it should be!” Yhazi joined Rishla’s hug with one arm while giving Zeb a playful shove with the other; he grunted a little but took it in stride, Honor Guard that he was.

“Oh, you two, you two…” Shulma’s voice almost quavered as she pulled them both close. “It meant the Galaxy to me to have you by my side today. I know I came very close to needing those spray salts!”

Yhazi disengaged tentatively from the hug, a sheepish look on her face. “Er, yeah, about that…”

“Yes?”

“Well, Rishla and I.. we kind of…”

“You kind of…?”

“We made a bet.”

“A bet?”

“Yes. About whether you would… y’know, pass out during the lightning bond ritual.”

“Ah!” was all Shulma could say.

“But you didn’t!” Rishla chimed in, grinning broadly. “And because of that, Yhazi now owes me dessert at the Aspyn Room!”

“Heh, not bad, not bad!” put in Zeb with a chuckle.

Yhazi threw up her hands. “I thought for sure she’d faint dead away as soon as the charge built up! Because Storm Dreamer Mystic Vision Girl, and all that! But she didn’t! LIke, what the Bogan?”

“Ah, there was a strong rock amid this storm.” Shulma winked as she squeezed her husband’s hand. “There always has been.”

“Awwwww!” was all her friends could utter as the three women joined in another tight hug.

More guests filed in—colleagues, relatives, friends, both young and aged, both new and old. They all got to spend a few moments with the newlyweds, conversing with them, congratulating them, blowing on their flowers, and sharing gestures of affection. Those with infants—including Zeb’s elder sister Zefora—handed them to the newlyweds to hold for a few moments, symbolizing a hope for their own fertility (fortunately, Zeb’s cape received only a few spit-up stains). Kits presented Zeb and Shulma with pretty stones, coins, or flowers and received hugs, kisses, and the occasional noogie in return.

Gestures of greeting and togetherness were exchanged among the guests as well. Distant relatives from opposite sides of Lasan embraced and exchanged news. Friends laughed together, kits ran about playing games; Guards and miners slapped each other’s backs. But none exchanged greetings of greater warmth and heartiness than the bride’s and groom’s families. And in particular the mothers: Herleva Orrelios, clad in her old dress uniform, grabbed the much slighter, colorfully dressed Yokheva Barzellati Trilasha in a cordial headlock, noogied her vigorously, and called out, “Looks like you’re one of us, now!”

“I could say the same to you,” came Yokheva’s laughing rejoinder.

Once all the guests had entered and taken their places, the clanking of a knife against a tankard brought them all to silence. Shulma’s elderly, white-haired great-grandmother rose at her place—very slowly, and with the assistance of her daughter, Shulma’s maternal grandmother—to recite the benediction over the meal. All others who were able rose to their feet, as well.

“Ashla of all being, source of all life, sustainer of all living,” she began in quiet, quavering tones, “be in these fruits of Lasan now set before us, that through them you may live in us. By the meat, strengthen us; by the wine, gladden us; by the produce of the land, brighten our eyes.” She traced the triangle in the air with a shaking, wizened hand. “Sovereign Spirit, for this sustenance, eternal honor and blessing.”

“Eternal honor and blessing!” came the hearty response, as another grandmother—Zeb’s irrepressible paternal grandmother, Adelgund Orrelios—sprang in from the kitchen door, clapped her hands, and announced:

“All right, everyone! Chow time!”

The feasting began. Adelgund and a tireless team of helpers—both Guards and civilians—brought out such an immense quantity of salads, dips, appetizers, snacks, and fresh-baked breads that they covered the tables almost completely. Oohs and aahs of awe filled the room when the centerpiece of the meal was brought in: several roast prongbok seasoned generously with the Orrelios family’s own secret spice rub, served with generous dishes of Gran Adelgund’s fire-pepper sauce. A variety of squash and tuber fritters—an old Trilasha family specialty—served as scrumptious accompaniments, as did steaming, fragrant nutbread, fresh from the oven. Meanwhile, the salads, dips, and appetizers were constantly replenished, so that the table always remained full. Kegs of ale, casks of seerflower wine, and ice-cold bottles of fruit and flower cordials helped wash everything down.

After the meal, the guests watched as Zeb and Shulma shared the rrklak’a, the traditional wedding pastry. It was an oblong confection iced in the same white, gold, and purple as the tablecloths, and those colors were reflected inside it as well, as its golden cake dough was filled with both thick cream and dark berry preserves. Each spouse began eating at one end until their faces met in the middle for a somewhat messy kiss, after which they proceeded to kiss the residual cream, jam, and dough from each other’s faces. The guests cheered, then tucked into their own smaller rrklak’a pastries, along with a delectable assortment of pies and cakes handmade by Gran Adelgund.

Then the dancing began. Zeb led his bride to the dance floor first, twirling her and lifting her high, and it was not long before all the able-bodied guests, both adults and kits, had joined them there. There were line dances and round dances, urbane couples’ dances and old-time stomping dances. There were all-male dances with much jumping and kicking, all-female dances with elaborate footwork, children’s dancing games with hops, skips, and jumps. All of it culminated in the bride and groom’s climbing dance (for which they both removed their cloaks, and Shulma doffed her large outer skirt). One wall of the room, which was of rougher-hewn stone than the rest, was cleared for them. As the musicians struck up a traditional climbing dance tune—“High Red Rocks,” an old standard from the Gosrrallan Mountains—the bride and groom ascended the walls, now slowly, now quickly, taking two steps upward and one downward (or vice versa) now circling around each other, now reaching out to each other and now pulling away, till they reached the high rafters of the hall. There they leaned across one rafter to share a kiss—pulling one of the garlands loose in the process, as indeed was traditional and expected in the climbing dance—before beginning the downward climb. The guests clapped, stomped, and whooped in time with the music.

Once they had made it down and redonned their cloaks (and Shulma her outer skirt), the bride and groom returned to their cushioned settee. Two kits (Ushelev and Finla, Zefora’s twins) brought the fallen garland to them and draped it across their chests. Now it was time for them to rest while the others regaled them with dances, songs, games, humor, and tributes. The first of these, following tradition, was the “dance of four”: two couples from among the guests—one old and married, one young and not yet married, and neither related to the newlyweds—danced before them, symbolizing the wish that their love might last many years but remain ever new. The older couple was the retired Honor Guard Captain Halmarr Porifiros and his wife, Nissel Segadri Porifiros, while the younger couple—dragged to the front of the room by their friends amid much purpling, giggling, and half-hearted attempts at demurral—was none other than Shulma’s fellow shamans Rishla and Chukwu.

Other entertainments followed. Young shaman initiates recited poems. Groz, Gunvar, Velibor, and Shai performed stylized maneuvers with swords, javelins, and bo-rifles. The Trilasha brothers and some of their fellow miners put on traditional Gosrrallan “pitskits”—short, humorous, improvised dramatic sketches with which the miners of their region entertained themselves during long days underground. Priska sang an old ballad, the Lay of Rolmvar the Rugged and Radiant Lalma, based on one of Zeb’s favorite childhood stories (“my kit brother’s a real Rolmvar now, with his own Lalma,” as she said). Finally, Gron amazed those present with his rarely-seen skill in conjuring, at one point pulling a live juvenile pocket hare out of his commander’s ear (“aw, karabast!” was the initial reaction). All day long the revelry continued, and the rafters of the mess hall echoed with songs, cheers, laughter, and conversation until dusk began to tinge the sky.

* * *​

It was almost sunset when the festivities finally began to wind down. Zeb and Shulma’s eyes were half closed as they nestled close together on their settee. The musicians had packed up and gone, but songs were still being sung: at one end of one table, a group of tipsy miners was singing mining songs, and at another table a group of tipsy Honor Guards were belting out the Honor Guard hymn. Tired kits nodded off in their parents’ arms. Small groups of relatives and friends conversed. Couples young and old exchanged endearments; one pair of young shamans conversed earnestly at their table with hands clasped, while another young couple—consisting of a curly-haired, amber-eyed female shaman and an Honor Guard lieutenant with prominent bantha chops—were smooching passionately in one corner of the hall, unaware of just how inconspicuous they weren’t.

“Just as you said—it happened when he least expected,” Shulma remarked with a smile.

“Heh, don’t hold your breath with that one,” Zeb replied, and they shared a chuckle.

A little later, the guests gathered outside the mess hall for the newlyweds’ formal leavetaking. Farther on, in the speeder lot, stood the vehicle they would be taking on their bridal trip—not an Honor Guard staff speeder but the Orrelios family’s old X-31 landspeeder, which had been decorated with garlands of colored paper and banners reading “ZEBBY N SHULMA 4EVER!” and “NUZZLECATS ON BOARD!” The guests hushed as Zeb, Shulma, and their parents and grandparents came out onto the front porch of the hall. The groom and bride embraced them all, then offered them brief speeches of appreciation to their parents, as was traditional:

“Aw, Ma, Dad, love ya so much… I made a promise today to do the best I can at this whole marriage thing, an’ whenever I’m not sure what to do, I know I’m gonna be thinkin’, ‘huh, what would Ma an’ Dad do?’ So, thank ya. Love ya.”

“Oh, Mama, Papa, thank you for everything, for all the love you’ve shown Garazeb and me from the very start. The way you’ve welcomed him to the family means so very much to us, more than we can say. Love you, always.”

Next, both bride and groom presented their red seerflowers to their oldest forebear present, thus commending their new marriage to the protection of the ancestors.

“For you, Gran. Love ya.” Zeb handed his flower to his Gran Adelgund and gave her a giant hug and kiss. “And thanks for all the great grub. You’re the best.”

Shulma gave hers to her aged great-grandmother. “Great-Gran ’Zuli, you made this day for me. You are such a blessing and such an inspiration and—oh—” Too choked up to speak, she enfolded her great-grandmother’s frail form in a tender but fervent hug. “I love you so much, Great-Gran. So much.”

Everyone applauded, though the noise died quickly down as Groz took charge once again. “All right!” he barked, clapping his hands. “Two lines! Places for the running of the fists!”

The guests formed themselves into two parallel lines with space between, forming a pathway from the porch to the decorated speeder. Then Groz yelled another order: “Ready!… Set!… RUN!”

With that, both bride and groom ran hand in hand down the double line of guests toward the speeder. Everyone reached out to punch them in the arm for good luck as they sped by. Some managed to hit them square on, some only grazed them, and yet others fell tumbling and laughing over each other in their attempts. The shamans’ staves sent up another shower of sparkle-streamers, which criss-crossed over the newlyweds’ heads; colorful candleflares and flashbangers burst upward in response (and Zeb broke into a laugh and a “karabast!” as he ran, recognizing the handiwork of his Trodd cousins from the southern hills). Faster and faster the newlyweds ran, as faster and more furious came the punches and cheers and laughs—

—and in mere minutes the old X-31 was speeding away to Moonflower Springs, garlands and banners rustling.

* * *​

“Oh Zeb... Zeblove...”

On the large, plush, dark purple sofa of the Moonflower Springs honeymoon suite, Shulma sank into her husband’s arms. He could feel her shaking a little—perhaps crying a little. He felt a little shaky himself. Kind of funny for one's wedding day, he thought, but there it was.

“Hey now, darlin’, what’s the matter?” he asked. “Y’okay?”

“Y-yes, I’m fine—well, mostly—it’s just... is it true? Really true?”

“’Course it is. You’re my wife an’ I’m your husband an’ it really is real an’—aw karabast—”

He broke off, pulled her suddenly close, nuzzled her hair so dark, lush, and sweet. Karabast, indeed. What else was there to say? Just to be finally alone together, after that big, bustling, beautiful day of celebration with friends and family—sitting there, feeling each other, holding each other until all the shaking melted away—there was something thrilling about it, something electric, like another lightning bond…

And Garazeb Orrelios and Shulma Trilasha Orrelios leaned together to kiss the longest, quietest, most electric kiss they had kissed all day.

the end

Once again, I wish to acknowledge Raissa Baiard’s extremely gracious loan of her various Lasat OCs: Shai, Priska, Herleva, Nerezeb, Zefora, Signi, Groz, Gunvar, and Velibor are all hers, and she gave Zeb’s Gran Adelgund her name.

The bo-rifle arch ceremony is essentially cribbed from the saber arch ceremony that takes place at military weddings here on Earth, or at least the version of it that is usually used in the United States.

Again, fuzzydemolitionsquad is the creator of the Lasat foot harp (see here).

“covered with bandages in a hospital bed”: A reference to the events of Sleeping Honor, in which Zeb and Shulma first fall in love.

“Ashla of all being, source of all life”: This grace first appeared in You Must Be Garazeb; or, Dinner with the Trilashas. There, it was recited by Shulma.

“Trodd cousins from the southern hills”: An homage to fuzzydemolitionsquad’s wonderful universe of Lasat stories and artwork, in which Zeb is the cousin of the explosives- and fireworks-loving Lasat bounty hunter Puggles Trodd—and his big, raucous, colorful family.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Mira_Jade , Kahara and Raissa Baiard like this.
  3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Excellent closing as the warmth and loveliness and joy permeate.
    I particularly enjoyed the sweet exchange with Yhazi and Rishla. That shared pastry between the bride and groom sounds scrumptious!

SQUEE on the final scene. Zeb and Shulma bask and melt & so did I!

:* [face_love]

Kahara and Findswoman like this.
  4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh what a lovely thing to read while drinking hot chocolate right before bed. That was just splendid and there is too many things that I loved about it to pick one single thing. The imagery that you created was just magical and so very vivid.

Glad I put aside time tonight to read this. I saw that you had updated it days ago, but I wanted to make sure I really had time to enjoy it. I'm very happy I did.

5. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you so much for reading, commenting, and enjoying! :)

Oh, thank you! :) Joy, warmth, and loveliness are exactly what I was going for, because that is what I want Zeb and Shulma to remember about each other and their homeworld. @};- Rishla and Yhazi's bet was part of the idea for this story from almost the start, so it was extra fun bringing that in--writing them as Shulma's much-needed friends and supporters has always been so much fun. And I just needed to give Zeb and Shulma some melty-melt time alone with each other after such a big day--that was one of the most fun parts to write, of course! :D Thanks so much again, always so glad to have you here! <3

Thank you so much, that is such a sweet compliment! @};- It's wonderful to have you here, and I'm so glad you enjoyed this. It was a real joy to be finally able to write this important milestone for this little (well, I guess not so little, given that they're both upward of 6-some feet! :p ) EC/OC couple of mine, and even more of a joy to see others enjoying it, too. Mmany thanks again for reading and being here! :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2021
    Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Hopefully I'll be able to concentrate on a much longer comment at some point, because this is such a wonderful story and has so many nifty details to it -- but for now, just wanted to say that the wedding and conclusion chapter were awesome and really suited the relationship that we've seen built through this story and the rest of the series! @};- (And okay, I do have to nominate one detail, which is the wedding climb/dance with Shulma and Zeb -- that was one of my absolute favorites! [face_love])

7. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Oh, thank you so much, Kahara! [face_love] That is truly an awesome compliment that I appreciate more than I can say—because that was exactly my objective for this story from the start, as well as a large part of why I angsted over this story so much! :p I’m so glad you enjoyed the climbing dance—it was so much fun coming up with something so uniquely Lasat-like for Zeb and Shulma’s own wedding dance. (I had inspiration from some of the awesome fuzzydemolitionsquad’s / @Fuzzy ambassador ’s stories there, too; she’s got some great dancing scenes.) Many thanks once again—it has always been such a joy to have you here supporting these stories of mine, and means so much to me! @};-

Kahara and WarmNyota_SweetAyesha like this.
  8. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    What a wonderful ending this was to such a wonderful story!! (And an even better beginning, in other ways. [face_love])

First of all, I have to apologize for my tardiness in reading and commenting on the conclusion. DRL didn't let me read and review - or write, for that matter - nearly enough over the last few months, and I'm determined to rectify that now! So, tonight I treated myself by setting aside some time to reread this from the beginning. Which was such a beautiful experience. This really was a touching, fun and joyous celebration of a story from start to finish! [face_love]

And! Here's what I enjoyed about the conclusion, in particular . . .

Ha! These two jokesters. Shai in particular had me fondly rolling my eyes. Cheeky kit! :p

But, Zeb is all too happy for any excuse to kiss his new wife! Especially now that he's free to do so. [face_love]

I LOVED all of the little things you included to describe the reception, like the snippet here with the red flowers. It really enrichened the scene, and added such a dense feeling of tradition and life to the celebration! I had a hard time selecting quotes in the end, all because the whole of your writing was just so beautifully fleshed out with little gems of fanon and attention to detail. [face_love]

What a fitting throwback to where this all began - for them and us! [face_love]

I was just grinning like a loon for ALL of the friends rejoicing with each other - but especially the girls here. And that Yhazi! Of course she made a bet! [face_laugh] :p

Aw!!! I loved the mommas being completely thrilled with each other. And Yokheva accepting the boisterous welcome with just as much verve and joy of her own!

(Plus, all of the noogies - it's not a proper Lasat celebration otherwise. ;))

What an AWESOME and fitting bit of fanon. I loved the entire concept of a climbing dance. :D

Ha! I ship them, I really do!! [face_laugh] [face_love]

You know, I think I can guess who wrote each of those additions to the banner. :p [face_mischief]

What I really appreciated most about this, though - and I think you mentioned as much in one of your replies above - is how this truly was a celebration of everything and everyone Zen and Shulma love, as much as their love for each other. There wasn't anything left out - friends and close family and extended family and those bound to them in duty and faith all! This was a community coming together to celebrate - a big fat Lasat wedding! - a joyful new beginning. Yet, at the same time there was a bittersweet undertone to the festivities for us as readers - knowing, as we know, how close Lasan's end sadly is. But, someday, these will be the memories that Zen and Shulma hold close and cherish (even when they hurt) as they carry what they can of their culture and memories of their loved ones on for the next generation to come.

And what better way is there to end this touching, heartfelt celebration of love than with sparks like that?! Just gorgeous. [face_love]

Again, this was such a beautiful story from start to finish, and a wonderful addition to the wider world of the Lasan Verse. [face_love]

=D= [:D]

9. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Yikes, I didn't respond to this awesome comment yet, did I! Really sorry about that!

Oh, no worries at absolutely all—you see how late I am in writing back, too, so I could say exactly the same thing! As always, I am so glad and so honored that you enjoyed this—and it's an especial joy to know that this story meant enough to you to set aside time for it! So now I shall sit down and set aside time to give your wonderful comments the responses they deserve! <3

Isn't he, though? :p I just love him so much and can't thank @Raissa Baiard enough for letting me borrow him again and again! He's one of those types who is "always young," always a kit at heart, but no less an Honor Guard for it.

Oh, always! One of his favorite things to do! :*

Aw, thanks! It was fun coming up with these details, sometimes "by the seat of my pants" in the course of writing—the custom of blowing on the flowers was one such (and I wanted to make sure to make them something other than white). In real-life celebrations, too, it's these little details and customs that make the event what it is, and I wanted the same to be true here! So I’m glad you enjoyed that touch. :)

Thanks so much! I just couldn’t resist throwing that in. They will always remember where it all started!

Oh yes, she did, of course she did! :p She may not have counted on Shulma being able to draw on another source of strength ( :zeb: ), but you know, I don't think she's really too fussed about that in the end. :)

Aw!!! I loved the mommas being completely thrilled with each other. And Yokheva accepting the boisterous welcome with just as much verve and joy of her own![/quote]

Thanks! The image of the mama-on-mama noogies was an image I had had in my mind from even before I started writing this story. They both embody how different are the two families are that are coming together, but that fact of course makes the coming together all the more joyous! :D

Oh, absolutely! :D

Aw, thanks! They're Lasat—with those strong, prehensile feet I just had to get climbing in there, somewhere!

Me too, right? They just seemed made for each other! :D (And here's where I have to acknowledge @Raissa Baiard for allowing me to ship my Yhazi with her Velibor! <3 It almost would be fun to write more about them sometime...)

Ah, yes, I'm sure you can—the "Zebby" in particular is a sure giveaway! :D

Yes, exactly—couldn't have said it better myself. This isn't just a celebration of Zeb and Shulma, it's a celebration of the whole sum total of their friendships and loved ones, and indeed it's a celebration of Lasan, because that love and light and celebration is what makes (made) up Lasan, and thus made its loss all the more devastating. =(( But, as you say, because of the way it lives on in the memories of Zeb and Shulma, this moment of celebration will not be lost, and will indeed be passed on. (Sorry-not-sorry, Empire, you failed in your goal of wiping everything out!)

Thanks so much! Indeed, I certainly couldn't think of a better way to end than just to let them bask and spark like they never have basked and sparked before! [face_love]

Thank you so much, and as always, your support of the Lasan Series means so much to me—really can't appreciate it enough! <3

10. Seldes_Katne

Seldes_Katne Force Ghost star 3

Mar 18, 2002
    This has been in my "To Be Reviewed" folder for, um, a while :oops:, and I decided that it's time to get started. I'm not sure this is proper review, so much as a series of comments and questions, but one has to start somewhere, so....

Really appreciate characters who are smart and sensible enough to get a solid footing before they get married. I’ve never understood people who’ve known each other for, like, two weeks and feel the need to get married RIGHT NOW! I guess sometimes they can make it work, but it just seems impractical when waiting would be better.

Thank you. Wonderful to see the “I’m also not family property and he’s marrying me, not you” response here.

The amount and variety of food described at each of the meals reminds me of the feasts at Redwall Abbey in Brian Jacques’s books…

I really liked the pre-wedding trips each character took with close friends and family (or soon-to-be-family members). The “bach” trip here seems much more practical and heartfelt than the Earth-standard Bachelor Party (if you’re having one last night of wild drinking and other unmentionable activities because the fun part of your life is over or whatever, maybe you should really re-think the whole marriage thing [face_thinking]).

The contrast between the two experiences is striking, but makes sense for each character. Zeb’s journey is more about testing himself against nature, while Shulma’s seems more about joining with nature.

I am a bit curious about one thing, however – each party is limited to a single gender. Is that traditional, or done for some other reason, or did it just work out that way for this particular set of characters?

The actual ceremony was close enough to many Terrestrial wedding ceremonies to be familiar, but “alien” enough to fit into a non-human culture. It’s obvious you’ve been writing about these characters and their culture for a long time.

Some of the songs remind me of the Psalms:

I’m not sure if this was done on purpose or was just by chance, but it added a great deal to the joyful solemnity of the ceremony.

Well, at least the pocket hare didn’t have a lot of extra legs….

11. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Thank you so much for reading and reviewing, @Seldes_Katne ! Always wonderful to see you! :)

Oh, no worries at all! It was an awesome review, and it made my day to receive it. :)

Yeah, I know just what you mean! It doesn't mean you love the person less because you want to take time to get practical matters sorted out before you commit to spending the rest of your life with them. In fact, if that person matters so much to you, then you'd want to get those things sorted out first, wouldn't you? For both of you!

You are very welcome! In a way, it's not just the old-fashioned custom she's speaking out against but also Chornogar's disapproving attitude toward Zeb, an attitude which he's made clear elsewhere, too. It hasn't been an easy thing for her, especially early on, but at least by now with the wedding on the horizon she is less shy about telling him that he just will have to deal.

YES! Yes, yes, yes! I adore Jacques's food descriptions, and I won't lie, they are a huge influence on me every time I write about food and feasts!

Thanks so much, I am glad you enjoyed these! I definitely wanted them to be mainly about bonding with friends before a big transition in one's life, which, as I understand it, was kind of the original point of some "bach" events here on Earth
    before it got obscured by, well, those other things. I've never liked that whole business about how marriage is the end of the "fun" part of a person's life.

Ah, interesting interpretation! I hadn't thought of it in those exact terms, but I really like that! There are elements of that, and it kind of fits with the characters, in a way—in particular, Zeb's been in other "man vs. nature" experiences in this universe of stories, in @Raissa Baiard 's The Beginning of Honor and my From the Mountain's Heart and Romance among the Stones.

It partly kind of just worked out that way, but also I feel like people bond differently with friends of the same gender than of the opposite (at least I have, in my own experience, and it generally is lower-pressure for me than in a mixed group), and that it can be valuable to have time with just those friends. Of course, as you noted, each spouse has the their-gender members of the other spouse's family with them on their trip, too: Zeb's sisters go with Shulma and Shulma's brothers with Zeb, so there's a certain amount of crossover in that way.

Thanks so much! I am glad the mix of the familiar and "alien" worked well for you, because I like to think of it as a hallmark of mine, or at least something I try for.

Thanks so much! I do love the Psalms and related post-biblical Hebrew poem repertoires, so I'm almost certain I garnered at last some unconscious inspiration there. It's interesting that you should mention that in connection with Shulma's song (the first one you quote), because I based that one on a specific real-life model that isn't a psalm but is also a sacred song of sorts: the Georgian hymn "Shen khar venakhi." (I imagine the melody being similar, too; that Wikipedia page has a sound file. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous piece.)

Hah! [face_laugh] Good notice, there! Yes, just a regular quadruped, thank goodness. :D

Many thanks again for this wonderful comment! Always a pleasure and honor to have you here! @};-

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    WarmNyota_SweetAyesha likes this.