main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE
  2. ATTENTION: All leaks and rumors MUST be spoiler tagged. Information from official sources or the big trades do NOT need to be tagged

The Acolyte Official “The Acolyte” Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Current and Future Shows' started by Darth Chiznuk , Apr 22, 2020.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    That's not at all unlikely. It probably didn't happen at the time of this show, but if we get a series/film taking place tens of thousands of years back, there might absolutely be an element of that.

2. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    yeah i thought sometime before the galactic republic was made, an origin of the jedi.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    Same here, witchcraft is not the same as the dark side. Even according to Mother Talizin, “I use dark magic to achieve power. Talzin to Queen Julia. As a Bardottan, you possess a strong connection to the Living Force, a connection that will now be mine. With the combined power of your spirit and my dark magic, I will become more powerful than any Sith or Jedi.”

5. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Well, that’s part of why I said it would be great if the way witchcraft was portrayed in the live action medium were primarily through martial arts. If Morgan is the spinoff link for the Acolyte, and that’s a big if, this could be the case.

In Legends, the Witches of Dathomir were historically taken from their homeworld to serve as guards or assassins, so their physical abilities, enhanced by the power of the Force, are not without precedent. TCW is ultimately an animated series, so what we see depicted there need not be literally translated to the live-action medium.

6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think a simplefied version of what we see in TCW can work and be done in live action fine. Also i love the idea of becoming more powerfull then any jedi or sith.

7. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    With the the shows of era seeming to maybe connect with each other, and this being the only show of it's era, i wonder if this will work like Mandalorian and have spin off shows that connects with it or have it's own story that future shows goes more into in future. I think it's more and more likley we will see certain legacy characters in this show now. Like Darth Plagueis and jedi Dooku. with recent rumors of Andor.

ZV-83 and clone commander bossk like this.
  8. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I wouldn't object at all if a potential female dark side character used a fraction of the Sith sorcery like Zannah. If you (general) are going to do a show with a student of the dark side (potentially) then give me all the cool stuff. It was a bad ass power in the novels and if done right could be wicked on screen.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  9. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    I just don’t want to see cheesy magic lightshows.

10. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    I think it can look great, maybe not as it looks like in animation.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  11. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    Do we know whether this show will be a limited series like several of the other shows announced, or a longer lasting show like the Mandalorian?

12. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Most likley like the mandalorian as unlike Kenobi and Lando it is not a limited series and given the era could be made multible seasons and spin offs.

13. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    I hope we are certain the Acolyte will go into the darkside in some way. I like the youthful, beautiful Jedi or bounty hunter that goes on a search and stumbles on Sith relics. Then becomes enamored with them and it leads to Darth Plageuis. Then to prove herself, she eliminates either his apprentice or her family. It will be tough to watch, but a necessary evil as this is what the darkside will do to you, beautiful or not.
    I also heard it will involve the Hutt cartel? Maybe she needs their help in finding these relics.
    I am excited for this show right behind Kenobi. I really want a show that brings us a youthful Jedi Dooku and Sifo Dyas and the decisions they made in failing to rebuild the Republic. After being disillusioned by the council, they both set off on adventures looking for help for the upcoming wars. They may be very young in the timeline, but what started out as 82bby is now right before TPM so anything is possible. A Ventress arc or any Acolyte story is going to be great.

14. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    An original, fully independent show sounds promising. Honestly, the era and its flexibility make me hope this show gets a lot of pre-development. Especially in terms of character and ship designs. Of course it’s great to see good concept work being recycled, but at some point it would be wonderful to see more innovation in terms of designs, to see a show really take Star Wars in new directions.

There was a lot of great art developed for female villains for the PT, but at this point I think we’ve seen quite a bit of that used in one form or another. And while I know it’s probably just the tip of the iceberg, I do like the idea of going further. Reading the Art books for the sequels, I can’t tell you how many times it seems like people were trying to make sure something felt like Star Wars. That makes sense, but it also reads as insecure. And while there has been much great design work done, none of it has felt quite as innovative as the prequels did in their time.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  15. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    It's a good point, but man has that visual language gotten locked down over 40-some years, and let's not forget that for the latter half of that time even the PT innovations have been folded into it, and it's gotten pretty rigid. Which unfortunately means a lot of departures don't work. But they can if you try... my favorite example is the Umbaran tech in TCW. It's totally different, but it works, and it helps having the clones as audience surrogates reacting to its oddness too. It can be done!

Sauron_18 likes this.
  16. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    I’m sure the nightsisters will appear.

17. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    There was a rumor a few months ago that the show would feature martial arts, no? I’m still hoping Diana Lee Inosanto does show up on the show, perhaps as an ancestor of Morgan Elsbeth. She was interviewed recently and did not mention anything that would hint at it when asked about future projects. But considering all the spinoff teases in season 2 of the Mandalorian, this could make sense.

Another reason why there might be more to her character is that the hair stylist who worked on her character at first posted it was a Dathomirian hairstyle and later removed that bit from IG. Its removal makes it seem like she may have accidentally said more than she was supposed to. And while not all members of a crew might know that kind info, it would make sense that the hair stylist might if she was given visual references to guide her work.

But yes, this remains shaky evidence. I’m hoping we don’t have to wait all year to learn more about this show. Besides the Ahsoka series, it’s the one I’m most excited for. I’m curious about how many locations from Legends they will revisit, and whether the reference to Indiana Jones is more than just to world-hopping and might also hint that the show will somehow relate to the galaxy’s ancient past.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    A Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon meets Star Wars kind of thing? I don't know if I like that idea. I don't want a theme of kung fu redemption by avenging someone who killed their teacher.

So we still know nothing about this movie then after early announcements, aside from rumor and innuendo? This might be the most exciting show of all, and the one that is the boldest. We need a new era movie. Want info though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2021
    whostheBossk and wobbits like this.
  19. Sauron_18

Apr 1, 2005
    I think it would probably be more along the lines of the main character’s fighting being primarily inspired by martial arts, like with Morgan in the Mandalorian.

I also just realized I had totally overlooked my favorite group of “witches” in fiction who also happen to be famous for their manual combat abilities (among others): the Bene Gesserit from Dune.

Seeing something like the BG would be quite awesome. Though of course they can’t be too similar, mainly because they’re already very similar to the Jedi. But it would be fun to see combat-styles unrelated to blasters or lightsabers featured in a series.

Lee_ likes this.
  20. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    "The Acolyte is a mystery-thriller that will take the audience into a galaxy of shadowy secrets and emerging dark side powers in the final days of the High Republic era."

This being the only reliable description that I know of so far, I wonder how much tie in there is in this show between the High Republic and the following era; this states that the show revolves around the end of the High Republic. I am sure there will be characters in it that we know (not sure whom, but likely Palp, Yoda, etc.).

Kind of a funny way to do it by starting a show at the end of that era. Other High Republic era productions would then be prequels. But I suppose this era has already been somewhat explained in books and comics (I'm not always up on these). Despite the literature, the story will have to be told in movies to keep the vast majority of watchers (casuals/average movie goers) in the loop. This will be perhaps the most telling of all of the shows in showing where more original SW material will go.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  21. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    I would expect very little crossover from the current High Republic publishing stuff -- it's all set probably 200-250 years before The Acolyte, so most likely all that will be in play is a general aesthetic, and if we're hanging with the Jedi there are a few long-lived PT Jedi who cross over between the two eras.

clone commander bossk likes this.
  22. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I don't know about crossover in the sense that you are talking about with the comics. I was talking about providing context; exposition to some degree of where they are in the story of the High Republic. They will be dropping the watcher into a time period they know nothing about, except those who read comics. What is happening could have little to do with the comics if it is much later as you say, but they still will have to give some kind of explanation of current state galaxy of the show- what is going on n the galaxy in regard to the Jedi, Sith, and general story of the show? What is the greater context? It would seem to me they will be trying to build up this era, so there may be some ties or previews of other content.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The anchor for all viewers, casual and otherwise, is Yarael Poof. Fitting, as he is already the anchor for the entire franchise.

24. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    He fears the mighty empire.

25. I will love to see Plagueis and Palpatine in this show

whostheBossk likes this.