main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Thanks to being technically obese (I don't look like it, but my BMI is 30.25), I'm now eligible for the vaccine here in Ohio. I have an appointment with the county health department Wednesday morning after class.

DarthIshtar and Ewok Poet like this.
  2. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    You definitely don't look obese in photos?! O_O And this is good news.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  3. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Hey everyone e

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yeah, BMI is really flawed, it doesn't account for muscle mass, just weight vs. height. So there are people who are very fit who show as obese on BMI even though it isn't the case. I'll be really happy when BMI finally goes away. (But heck yeah on using it to your advantage, JC!)

I am struggling today. I had two meetings this morning, both of which were with people who take ten minutes to say two minutes worth of stuff. (And I say that as someone who also does that.) I think I only got about half of what they were saying because I just couldn't pay attention. Thankfully I didn't have to participate in anything. I did get my expense report done though so at least I won't get a nasty email from the finance people.

Welcome to fanfic @achanes!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  5. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I definitely don't look like it, but I am about 30-40 pounds over the healthy weight range for my height. It's just that the excess weight is well-distributed across my body rather than the stereotype of being all in my stomach.

I'm 5' 6" and weigh about 190 pounds. Last I checked, the upper end of the healthy range for my height was around 150-155 pounds. I had been wanting to lose some weight and was starting to do so when COVID hit a year ago, and then being cooped up inside for months not only killed those plans, but also caused me to gain about another 15 to 20 pounds.

The weight is most noticeable in waist measurements; I used to have a 32-inch waist, and now it's pushing 35 inches.

Thing is, I have no muscle to speak of. I'm very much a weakling when it comes to physical strength. It really is fat in my case, just well-distributed fat like I said above, so it's hard to see on a casual inspection. But weight loss is something I've discussed with my doctor, and I'm hoping I can put some effort into that when I'm out of school and not stressing about assignments and grades anymore.

mavjade , Ewok Poet and Gamiel like this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    BMI is so flawed. I am also technically overweight and sure I have gained a few pounds over COVID (and it really started before that with my Masters) but I've also gained a ton of muscle mass since starting at my job.

ughhhh. You just described my boss (one of my many annoyances with her). I had a 1 on 1 meeting with her yesterday. It was a 45 minute meeting that could have easily been 15.

I'm currently fairly sick with cramps. BUT MY MOMMA IS COMING TO VISIT ME FOR EASTER AND I'M SO EXCITED. I was lucky enough to see her in October, but that she's coming here this time and is going to help me organize my place. My office/sewing room is in need of some storage solutions.

mavjade , Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I'm 160 cm tall, I believe that's 5'3". And people come to me with that extremely outdated argument that ideal weight for women is height - 110. I cannot possibly weigh 50 kilos as an adult and be healthy, I looked like a ghost at 53 in high school. Ever since metformin got me back in normal range, I've been going from 58 to 66 and back and there is no major difference, other than I cannot wear two pairs of jeans from my high school graduation year if I weigh above 64. That's, two items of clothing from twenty years ago.

And weight gain between natural waist and upper hip is normal with hourglass build, so I don't even care. I just want this meh weather to end so I can cycle. Covid-19 limited my cycling in 2020 as it left me unable to cross my standard distances and I'd often end up in the countryside with no working lights at sunset. I probably lost some muscle mass from that and from the period right before it as I had no time to recover from stress-caused overeating at the end of 2019. So, just expect for my weight to redistribute and I expect to gain enough stamina in order not to feel so tired. Like, it's 21:10 and I already want to sleep.

Speaking of sleeping - I wouldn't have wanted to be a resident of this city where a maulvi left his microphone on after the prayer and... just fell asleep.

* Hope maulvi is the right term. Ex-YU muslim folk call all their priests "hodža", the ruling ones "muftija" and us Ex-YU Christians, atheists and others picked those names.

Gamiel likes this.
  8. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Home gym! :D There's so many free exercise and muscle building programs on Youtube now. All you need are some dumbbells and some simple equipment, or even just nothing and you're on your way, even starting off slow and building up!

9. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd love to, but I live in a fourth-floor studio apartment on a college campus. Not only will I not be bringing any significant equipment up here (there's no space), but I just don't have time because I'm swamped with course projects that need done, and by the time I ever get a break from them, I'm dead tired (like I am now). I've resigned myself to the fact that I won't be able to start a proper fitness program until after I graduate from college in December and get a job. As long as I have classes and job searching to worry about, nothing is going to happen on that front.

10. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Guys, seriously. Let's not talk about our weight over the past year. It's bad for morale. (By the way, I just made a killer chocolate chip banana bread.)

That was my best laugh in months. I've had plenty of weird experiences with mosques back in Egypt but I never heard a muezzin snore :D

11. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Too late. O_O I just weighed myself for the first time since July, when the reading was 69. Now it's 68.

much loss very thinness wow

I still prefer to be under 65 because of those jeans I mentioned. Ohwell, spring arrives in half an hour, hope this horrible temperatures around 5 during the day and around -1 during the night can FINALLY GO AWAY. I don't want to go photograph sunset and freeze my rear in the process. One has to head to north-east, be at a certain point the moment it starts dawning, preferably at the river and just wait for 30-40 minutes.

And Fluoxetine should help. I started it again yesterday, after an eight-month break. Not sure how long will I have to wait for my mood to improve and what I'm going to do if I start getting large bruises and random wounds on my legs. But yeah, good mood and faster metabolism can only be helpful in 2021.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  12. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Anyone else watch the first episode of Falcon and the Winter Soldier? I LOVED it! I've always had a soft spot for Bucky (I don't know how much is because I love Sebastian Stan and how much is the character) so it's nice to get more character development for him.

13. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I've put on three since last year and I am completely okay with that, given everything that I've been struggling with.

@jcgoble3, I have weird familiarity with Ohio vaccination protocols in spite of never having been there. Why? A bunch of people in Columbus are fans of my Tolkien podcast, so I know which ones of them already had their first shot and who will be getting theirs next week now that they're eligible by BMI. I know all about Dr. Amy Acton and have heard sermons on the politics in the state...

I congratulate you on being able to get the vaccine regardless of circumstance. I got it the same week that my BMI range became eligible here, but didn't tell anyone in my family that because of my dad's opinions on my weight. I have friends in my tribe who are cheering me for having gotten it through a tribal health service and I choose to remember that support.

In other news, it was 20 years ago today that I went from a fanfic website to this site because Jedigaladriel didn't have all of one fic uploaded yet and I could read more on tf.n. It took me six days to actually register, though.

I'm on a "writing retreat," which means that I booked a motel room one city over for two nights and spent last night and three hours of this morning putting in hard work on the anthology I'm coauthoring. Today is time for me to work on the book I want to write and updating at least one fanfic. And getting food from quirky local restaurants.

Mistress_Renata and jcgoble3 like this.
  14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I watched it and meh??? I enjoyed it - I really enjoy where Disney is going and focusing on more side characters and not the big name super heros with mega powers - and I've always kinda loved Sam. But I dont seem to be as enamoured by it as other people. I don't know why. Maybe because the first episode was more of an intro - which is good for character development I guess. My sister absolutely loved it. I'm going to keep watching. I have a feeling I'll get more into it.

I woke up last night to my cat on top of me, barfing on my other cat [face_sick] Thankfully I was quick enough to protect the victim - and my bedsheets and my weighted blanket - with my top quilt so only that is now in my washer. I should also be an adult and clean my kitchen (the recycling pile is getting fairly big) but my muse has finally given me a story idea that I'm not completely apathetic about so I just wanna write!!!!

Mistress_Renata likes this.
  15. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    In other news, researchers just found out octopuses are actually huge ass***** who punch fish and now I'm scarred.

I've seen all kinds of cat barfing but this absolutely takes the cake.

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Octopus are my favourite animals and this only confirms it.

One of my cats (the almost victim) has taken to sleeping beside my pillow over the past few months (I think she just likes my winter sheets and is going to be disappointed when I change over in a few days). So last night I woke up to the other one on top of me, doing the whole pre-cat-barf sounds, aiming for her sister. I am super thankful I was able to contain the mess.

gizkaspice and Mistress_Renata like this.
  17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I enjoyed the individual storylines, but feel like I’d benefit from having more personal investment in the characters. I like Torres, personally. I’m not in love, but I’m interested.

18. Mistress_Renata

Mistress_Renata Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 9, 2000
    Well, I was invited to schedule my appointment for a vaccine (finally!) from signing up on my county website...and the place I'm supposed to get it says "no appointments available" even one month out...which is a bit effed up. :mad:

19. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Can you get a date for May, June...?

I'm trying to get my friend to watch the video I shared with y'all yesterday and for some reason, she keeps on talking about other stuff and ignores my reminder. She has no idea what she's missing. [face_rofl][face_rofl][face_rofl]

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Remember, only about 15% of Americans are vaccinated. Numbers are even lower for Canada: it's like 7% (we dont have the ability to make our own vaccines). Some of us are just going to have to be patient. I'm fine with waiting till my age bracket comes up in the summer. Other people need it more than me.

Ewok Poet and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    I had no idea how this functioned, obviously. My bad!

Wait, I was sure that you would be on some sort of priority list?

There was an antivaxer (and, even worse, anti-migrant) protest a couple of hours today and I am deeply ashamed that such people exist in 2021. Of course, barely anybody wore masks because they think that Covid-19 is a global conspiracy, plus a local one to destroy all the small businesses and I guess we can expect an enormous amount of new cases within ten days or so.

It's appalling. We're incredibly lucky to have secured enough vaccines for the entire population and some to give away to neighbours and people are still running for a Darwin award. :(

22. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Yeah, I liked it. I kept looking at Sebastian Stan and thinking, "He could pull off playing Luke Skywalker in a live action TV show."

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Nope. Theres quiet a bit of anger in the disability community in Canada over this. Like in the US, it's all done by province but most pretty much the same. Of course vaccinations began with healthcare workers and people in longterm care homes. For the general population it's pretty much 100% by age bracket with the exception of people who are considered 'extremely vulnerable' (people who have cancers, transplant patients, respiratory illnesses etc). Although now that AstraZeneca has been approved in Canada for younger people, front-line workers will be able to get that in April. The good news is that the schedule keeps getting bumped up. At first my age bracket (25-29) was going to be in August/September, but now they are predicting June!

24. CaraJinn

CaraJinn Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2018
    I seriously hate all those conspiracy theories. [face_bleh] As if anyone would have something to gain by that. Yeah, the entire world is going into lockdown just for the fun of it - right?
    Admittedly I'm a bit sceptical to vaccines that has been developed as rapidly as the Covid-19 ones and I will blankly refuse to take the AstraZeneca if I'm offered that one (I have both leukemia cases and thrombosis running in the family and I've had struggles with my blood too so if anyone gets the sideeffect I'm quite sure I will be the one). I'll rather have Covid itself because I have no known respiratory problems. Or even better, I step back in the queue and with some luck get Pfizer later.

We're not allowed to chose per se, but I guess we're allowed to jump out of the line.

When that is said, I'm all pro vaccination in general and will gladly accept a needle in the arm as long as I can be pretty sure that one won't give me more problems than the illness itself.

25. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Yup! I think I'm really going to enjoy this. It seems it will be touching upon some serious real-world issues as well, which will be interesting.

I really loved WandaVision too. It was so whacky, and that big character identity reveal has got to be one of the most whimsical moments of television I ever saw.

Nehru_Amidala and mavjade like this.