main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Sidious, Snoke and Salacious B Crumb’s Sarcastic and Sassy Situation Saloon (Fanfic Social Thread)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Briannakin , Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ewok Poet

Ewok Poet Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2014
    I can't even write down what else those people are saying, but they're becoming outright dangerous and aggressive. And apparently, they "predicted" the Iceland volcano, but they hoped that it would be in Italy because the Earth "started to clean itself". Time for psychiatrists to invent new diagnoses, as nothing, not even the mass hysteria phenomenon can begin to describe this kind of stuff. These types, along with antivaxers, more or less tricked the hospitality industry personnel into protesting with them. So, not only that they're dumb, they're also evil and manipulative. And a man wearing a mask was beaten up by some anti-maskers, on top of it. Seriously, these people... we have access to so, so, so much knowledge, yet they have a faction in every single country and they choose to believe in nonsense. [face_sick][face_sick][face_sick]

And this happens a couple of days after New York Times published this article.
    As Vaccinations Speed Along in Serbia, the Country Basks in the Glow of a Successful Campaign - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

We have a wonderful talent of destroying ourselves. WWI is still hailed as a glorious thing, though it killed 33% of the population. [face_monkey]

If the Sinopharm vaccine is approved by WHO next week - which it probably will be - it's the best option for such cases. It's a classic, "dead" vaccine. But it's slow in terms of building antibodies, so people will have to be patient. One can learn from morons here who got infected between the first and second dose. The said AstraZeneca vaccine produces an immune response that's really, really unpleasant in some cases (I only had fever and headache), but I can partly understand the fear. Otherwise? I think it's a huge war among companies. And media just keeps on lighting new fires because sensational news bring $$$. We live in a horrible world, indeed. :(

Hope it keeps on getting bumped up even more, so it benefits you. And seems that rules vary. Here, diabetes, any kind thereof, would get you on the priority list. But the logistics in Canada would make things more complicated, I guess? on top of everything else? Destinations to your remote areas are bigger than what it would take somebody to get in here from Hungary and get out of here to Northern Macedonia. OK.. twice as big. Five times as big.

gizkaspice likes this.
  2. gizkaspice

gizkaspice Force Ghost star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Most of humanity throughout history in a nutshell right here. Believing in dumb **** already started way back in the Medieval Ages where drilling holes into your head was a remedy for headaches :p

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    amidalachick and Ewok Poet like this.
  3. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    My dad encouraged me to refuse the vaccine and try everything Trump said would work instead. And then claimed I was lying that Trump said those things. I got the vaccine...

achanes, amidalachick and gizkaspice like this.
  4. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Yes, this is a factor too. Indigenous populations in Canada have a slightly different age group break down (right now only the general population that can be vaccinated is 75+ but for indigenous populations is 65+, for a number of reasons: more rural, less access to health care, etc). There also have been calls for people with diabetes to be on some sort of priority list, but so far no luck. On one hand it sucks that the government is being so rigid on "by age with very few exceptions", but on the other, waiting an extra 3 months is kinda small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. Other people need it more. Plus, even if I were vaccinated early, it's not like much would change in my overall situation.

Yesterday I was able to sit down and write almost 1000 words on a story! I havent been able to do that in months. Today I have a zoom call with some friends, then my sister is coming over to trim my hair (my mohawk needs some clean up) but I'm hoping to be able to sit down after that and take advantage of having a muse!

achanes, DarthIshtar, ZV-83 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    So I walked a marathon yesterday. That was fun

6. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    Some people follow some bizarre herd mentality for sure.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
  7. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    Australia apparently decided to take a hardline approach to this and they'll be suspending antivax doctors. That needs to be done everywhere, tbh.

And wow, that was one long outage.

achanes, Mistress_Renata and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    @Briannakin there’s an article I read about the vaccinations in Oklahoma. The indigenous nations have been able to greatly help the rest of the state because they had purchased so many doses. That’s where my dad got his because he’s got diabetes and a heart condition, so qualified earlier. I have friends whose families have been hard hit because of the higher incidents of some comorbidities in indigenous population and I got them the info on being vaccinated through tribal health here.

9. Ewok Poet

Jul 31, 2014
    That is... interesting. But the fact that each state needs to buy its own vaccines is scary. Then again, both companies you get them from are in your own country, while we - as an example - bought Pfizer ones, AstraZeneca was distributed through the CoVax programme, some Sputnik V ones were donations and some purchases, same for the Sinapharm.

And yeah, I'm in a Facebook group dedicated solely to reporting false information, anti-science claims, calls to lynch migrants and other odd stuff. Those things seem to come in groups. I know maybe two or three people who are borderline antivaxers, but not racists, not misogynistic and so on. I'm almost inclined to believe that most of those people have multiple profiles and that they literally make up their nonsense all day. It's a war out there.

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I have run a Facebook group for 5 years to document and respond to similar things as well as crimes based on race, religion, etc. so that no one can ever say “we just didn’t know this was happening.”

Ewok Poet likes this.
  11. Chyntuck

Chyntuck Force Ghost star 5

Jul 11, 2014
    Because the authoritarian in me is rearing its head these days (I got really pissed off when I took my mum for her shot and saw how many appointments had been cancelled) I think all countries should take it one step further and make vaccination compulsory, but in a very passive-aggressive way so that we can enjoy seeing the anti-vaxers fuming. No vaccine? Sorry, you can't come in here for a birth certificate. You'll have to apply online and it'll take forever. Enjoy the wait!

Of course, this only works in countries like Greece where you have to turn up in person for a birth certificate. But whaddya know, there could be positives to living in the Bronze Age.

12. gizkaspice

Nov 27, 2013
    I live next to an antivaxer who claims they read somewhere that the flu shot is a mix of baby poop, placenta and something else. Anyways, I was very curious about this kind of stupidity but wasn't able to find anything about this online or elsewhere which leads me to believe antivaxers have a very vivid imagination like in the Medieval Ages where people thought manatees were mermaids or something.

DarthIshtar and Ewok Poet like this.
  13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    So I just got great news on the vaccine front! Diabetics on insulin (which I am) are now considered "extremely clinically vulnerable" and eligible for an early vaccine! I still gotta wait for a letter, then make an appointment. Realistically the announcement only bumps me up like 2 months BUUUUUUT I'll take advantage of it!

14. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    That’s good news

amidalachick likes this.
  15. Cowgirl Jedi 1701

Cowgirl Jedi 1701 Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2016
    I found out recently that I'm eligible for the vaccine, and I'm scheduled to get it Friday.

16. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    Chyntuquita's Adventures in Gardening, S01E03, with a subplot and a twist.

In the past few days I noticed that there was some leaf damage on a gorgeous echeveria that I got for the balcony, so yesterday when it stopped raining Chyntuquita and I went outside to investigate. It turned out that a snail was living in that particular pot.

The subplot is that this snail had the option to stay in a garden full of humid soil and decomposing plant matter, but chose to climb three storeys up on a dry whitewashed wall and settle among a collection of cacti and succulents that hardly ever get watered. There's got to be a reason for that. Or maybe the snail was just dumb.

The twist is that Chyntuquita wanted to keep the snail as a pet. I guess she tought the spiders were getting lonely.

Chyntuquita Turkborn of the House Chyntuck, First of Her Name, the Gardener, Queen of the Beasties and the Bugs, Khaleesi of the Great Pot Sea, Keeper of Jars and Mother of Baobabs. The plot thickens.

17. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    My brother’s second son brought snails in from the garden and they didn’t find out as much until he borrowed mom’s phone to take a video of his turbosnails perched on his electric race cars and zooming around the track while he sang songs about them. I honestly haven’t laughed that hard in a year.

18. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    I would like to see that video please @DarthIshtar. With audio of course [face_rofl]

19. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    First dose of the Pfizer vaccine has been acquired and installed and immune system update is in progress. Estimated time remaining in the update process: 37 days (second dose is scheduled for April 16, +2 weeks for peak immunity). Waiting to see if I have any side effects. So far, none three hours afterward. Didn't even feel the needle; nurse was fast and had it in and out in under two seconds.

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I don’t have it online. I’ll see if my brother does. But oh dear heavens, that was a “I watched this over and over and giggled every time.” That and my sister-in-law then finding spare snails in shoes.

@jcgoble3 congrats on the upgrade in progress. My main issue was fatigue the next day. But it does hurt a lot less than I anticipated.

Sorry for mistagging earlier.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2021
    Chyntuck, amidalachick and jcgoble3 like this.
  21. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I probably wouldn't notice fatigue because I've been in a perpetually exhausted state most of this semester and I'm just hoping my body doesn't completely crash before final exam week. This semester has been brutal.

22. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I have been exhausted this week, but that’s from walking so damn much

amidalachick likes this.
  23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And liking a lot of posts. I am looking forward to tomorrow because the symphony is doing their first in-hall concert since autumn and I’m bringing a new friend who kept saying she’d love to come next time I had to go as an arts reviewer.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
  25. Chyntuck

Jul 11, 2014
    It's Independence Day over here, the 200th anniversary. This time we're celebrating it in the middle of a pandemic. 50 years ago it was a dictatorship. 100 years ago it was a war. 150 years ago...

Oh well. I'll go and make bakaliaros skordalia (cod fritters with a garlic dip), because there's no reason we should miss out on that too.