main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Micro Series & Genndy Tartakovsky appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Or the fact they say it was made to market the TCW movie and not ROTS

TadoFett, MrDarth0 and Kenneth Morgan like this.
  2. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I thought I heard that the relative success of the microseries inspired Lucas to consider a full-length show.

3. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I've heard that too, and it's clear that the designs of the microseries inspired the designs of TCW. And then of course you have some overlap in the voice cast, but that's likely just because those are the best actors for the roles.

4. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
  5. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    It's a shame that we didn't get to see the Battle of Coruscant pre-ROTS in TCW. But at least I've still got the CW microseries. It also covers things we've never gotten depictions of in canon (Introduction of Ventress and Grievous, Anakin's Knighting). I think that was because originally the CW microseries was still going to be canon and TCW was re-writing the events of novels and graphic novels of the time.
    CW is still the best Star Wars series to me, and likely always will be. TCW is far, far, far longer and has some amazing moments. But CW packs a ton in 2.25 hours.

6. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    CW also has the distinction of being the only medium in which the character of Grievous actually works.

Darth__Lobot and TrandoJedi like this.
  7. superstardestroyer-1

superstardestroyer-1 Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 20, 2002
    I just rewatched both volumes on DVD over the last week. Much of it still holds up. I know it's likely tied up in licensing hell and parts of it would never fit into the new canon now that Disney/LFL released the official ending to The Clone Wars Series (and some inconsistencies started popping up even when Lucas was in charge of The Clone Wars), but I think omitting this from the canon creates some big gaps in the Disney continuity.

We no longer have official canon representations of things like Anakins knighting, the introduction of Grievous, how Anakin got his scar, Anakins first fight with Ventress, etc. The Clone Wars series makes it seem like Ventress is a well known enemy to them, which always made me think Clone Wars was still canon in the early days of the CGI series, but that was quickly walked back by LFL.

In my perfect world, I'd love to see LFL buy the cartoons from CN and re-edit it together up to where the inconsistencies begin (something like chapter 21). Do it in a way almost like how they created the Droids and Ewoks DVD's in 2004. It's not a perfect solution, but it would help fill in some holes in the canon and re-introduce a really fun and creative series back into consciousness.

If not, I'd love to see them do a cartoon or comic series (comic being way more likely) called "Clone Wars: Year One" that would go back and retell these stories such as Durge, the knighting, Anakin getting his scar, Ventress in the arena impressing Dooku (I know that's covered a bit in Jedi Lost, but there's room to show it), Grievous first showing up, Anakin and Obi-Wan as padawan and master in the early days of the war, etc. Do this in a way that honors those older stories. I just think this first year of the Clone Wars is ripe for story telling in the new canon.

8. DarthWolvo23

DarthWolvo23 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    Do you think it still just about works in head canon if you assume original CW all the way up to the montage of Anakin and Kenobi after Anakin's knighting, then TCW follows this all the way to the final season.

Then it would have to go the story on Nelvaan BEFORE Old Friends Not Forgotten which happens at same time as Battle of Coruscant (dialogue about Shak Ti being sent to protect the Chancellor still matches up) then back to the original series for the link straight into ROTS then to TCW for the story up to Order 66!

whostheBossk likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Dammit I was trying to find this thread. Anyway really excited to watch this again

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Just need Droids.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    And hopefully it's not only in the U.S.

13. R4-D4

R4-D4 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Mar 6, 2003
    Does anyone know if they will retroactively label all thesereleases back to canon? I hope they do.

14. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    The Story of the Faithful Wookiee? So we're still pretending the Holiday Special never happened?

15. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I wouldn't read anything into this regarding canon status. This is no different than continuing to publish EU books under the "Legends" brand.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Pretty much.

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    It'll be interesting if they add the "Legends" banner to the 2D series. Haven't seen it all the way through in a few years so pretty stoked to see it land. If anything I'm going to watch the Mace Windu short like 10 times ahhahaa.

18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I wonder if these will be in HD on Disney +? If this leads to a Blu-Ray release I will be pretty pleased.

Samayel_ likes this.
  19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    It won’t most likely.

20. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    So great this is properly coming to Disney+. It remains my very favorite Star Wars series.

(Hopefully they're released as hour long volumes 1 and 2, rather than each individual episode).

21. Prequelfan93

Prequelfan93 Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 12, 2021
    So glad this is coming to Disney + this is great news.

22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm not the biggest fan that they packaged all the shorts together for D+, but as someone who owns them on iTunes I can live with it. @Samayel_ you were asking if there were any bonus bits, and the answer is no, just the series. I only glanced at it but the quality seems pretty up to snuff.

Samayel_ likes this.
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I only have these on DVD and I always watched as a single flick and only 480p so I'm pretty stoked to watch them in HD. Gonna watch me part 1 right now.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Count Yubnub and Prequelfan93 like this.
  24. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    Chapter 20 is still one of my favorites moments in all of Star Wars PERIOD, when I saw that for first time I even had a nightmare with Grievous.
    Btw, I´m from south America, so I don´t have the Vintage Collection on my D+, can anybody tell if the Ewoks cartoon and CW comes with their openings?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
    Count Yubnub likes this.
  25. Rebel-Jedi

Rebel-Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 26, 2005
    I watched both seasons of the Clones Wars micro-series and it appears at least to me season 2 has better video quality than season 1, anyone else notice this?