main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is TFN the premier dedicated SW forum on the web?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MotivateR5D4, Mar 29, 2017.

1. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    There are different mods on each site. For example, I'm on Rebelscum but just as a regular user. I spend much more time here than there.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017

Yes I agree and like it here. The people are respectful and knowledgeable, and the one time I got a reminder from the mods it was respectful and helpful. :)

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You've been a member since Friday, though.

Let's not forget that Outer Rim Sieges had some cutting edge gifs, guys. And Phatooine? Pretty big challenger.

DarthTunick and KnightWriter like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Is this so? Quite an achievement! Lol

5. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    This is why Reddit shouldn’t exist if it wasn’t for Reddit we would still be the top dog. Now of course there are plenty of things you will only get here that you won’t get on Reddit. But by sheer numbers I think we are beaten out by several Star Wars related subreddits. Although it’s not like you can really have community on a subreddit. So yea I would still say we are the top when it comes to that even if you could interact with more people on Reddit.

Now Why did I feel like resurrecting this thread. I don’t know. I was going on an old search and found this thread still open. But I felt like I had to say something about Reddit. Of course all of this was true back in 2017 when this thread was opened. It’s all about what your looking for and if you count a subreddit as a forum or not.

6. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    There's a feeling of fellowship and camaraderie to be found here that's much scarcer on Reddit

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
  7. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    The Star Wars sub-reddits mostly have casual drive by posters. There's no real community of users that are active and sort of "hang out" on those sub-reddits for any prolonged period of time like they do on this forum. Plus the whole structure of Reddit is obviously not specific to any one topic, so somebody who might be active on a Star Wars sub is likely active on a whole bunch of other subs as well. Which means it doesn't facilitate that same sense of community or belonging to a specific forum about Star Wars, from the individual user's perspective. So while there might appear to be more activity and more users on Star Wars sub-reddits, that's only because of the sheer volume of users that are on Reddit as a whole, which inevitably leads to many who just happen to make their way over to the Star Wars subs. I think if somebody was wanting a Star Wars specific forum, they would seek it out, and not stick to Reddit as their only source of discussing Star Wars. There might be a few regular users there who just don't know any better and genuinely think Reddit is the only place available to discuss Star Wars. But that only seems like very few. From what I've seen on those subs, it's just people who are choosing Star Wars as their topic of the day.

Sinrebirth and jcgoble3 like this.
  8. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I agree with both. It’s the problem with any community on Reddit and discord. That’s over like 1,000 people. Under that and you can get the same feeling this forum provides. But once it’s over that tough luck.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  9. jasman

jasman Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 29, 1998
    I lurked for awhile before signing up. I think it was about 10 minutes! :cool:

I've never been on Reddit. Don't care.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Were those the 10 minutes between the site going online and you registering?

11. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    No, the forum, and the Force.net (originally the Star Wars group at Texas A&M) was already a couple of months old when I joined.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Sinrebirth likes this.
  12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I wonder if any of the A&M people are still around

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    It used to be run by someone named Scott. I have no idea if he is still involved.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As far as I know it's just Philip Wise at this point. I can't recall if he has been here from the beginning but he is Texas-based.

15. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    This is actually where I came from- I joined the offical SW forums a couple of months(?) before they closed :oops:and was then directed here as people jumped ship.
    That being said, I didn't post as regularly on there as I have done here.

16. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I came here from the clone wars episode guides. You could comment underneath them and people basically treated it as a forum with different episodes acting as different threads basically. It was a hell hole filled with trolls but it was my hell hole. Complete anarchy, but it was something to behold.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  17. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Long, long gone.

18. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    That's what I thought. Shows how long ago I was really active here! ;)

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    What was the longest you ever went without posting

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Watch him never reply to this. That'll show you!

Trebor Sabreon and BookExogorth like this.
  21. jasman

Aug 29, 1998
    I posted really heavily until 2006, then only infrequently after that, but I never went over a year without stopping by to say hello.

Fooled ya, huh? I showed YOU! Nyaa, nyaa, nyaah! [face_laugh]

You can see my posting history by going here, because I always stopped by there:

https://boards.theforce.net/threads/practice-markup-codes.5092339/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2021
    Jedi Knight Fett likes this.