main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Ronin novel - all spoilers

Discussion in 'Literature' started by PimpBacca, Mar 22, 2021.

1. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    So a new novel titled Star Wars visions: Ronin has been announced with a brand new Author to Star Wars!

By all accounts it’s an original story that’s set to tie in to the up coming visions tv show!

my guess would have to be a dark times story following a Jedi.

Edit could a mod please remove the second novel from the title please.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Fixed!

PimpBacca likes this.
  3. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    I wonder if this means we're getting Visions around October?

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think around september/october. Also with this being named the ronin, i think an order 66 survivor and tells the story about him in this novl plus the eppisode.

Dream-Thinker and PimpBacca like this.
  5. Cyber Spark

Cyber Spark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2020
    Glad we're getting more Visions stuff. I really don't want Visions to be a one-off, seeing as the simple concept of a Star Wars anthology anime gets me excited.

harryhenry and Dream-Thinker like this.
  6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    This also slots into the slot vacated by the Nandalorian novel.

(Featuring an expert chicken BBQ chef as she delves deep into the Spice Side of the Grill.)

Dannik Jerriko and Sinrebirth like this.
  7. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    This makes me wonder if this is a post clone wars Ahsoka novel, I mean she looks all ronin in rebels.

8. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    The link to Visions suggests to me it's something independent of the Mandoverse.

PimpBacca likes this.
  9. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Looks like Emma is new to writing.

10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Hmm, social science warrior, eh? Ok, multiple conflagrations now detected on Reddit, Facebook, Instagram. YouTube is quieter but frantic editing has been spotted.

More seriously, I hope she has some back-up from DR on this. Not least as this may be a more attractive target than High Republic to the usual suspects.

11. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    [​IMG]

Interesting that we're finally getting Clint's Ronin Blip years story. Not sure why they had to transplant it to the Star Wars universe but I ain't complaining.

12. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    The title is a little oddly specific in referencing an earth cultural institution. But I'm down.

13. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Looks like we also have another new Author to the fold soon.

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    No more Earthly than "knights". 'Course ironically the original knight of Star Wars was basically a ronin anyway. Remember Obi-Wan's inspiration?
    [​IMG]

15. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    Oh yes. I'm kind of stepping gingerly here, but I guess it's primarily a language thing, since "Basic" is English. So it would feel a little "off" if Hondo was a "bandito" or Zam Wessel was a "ninja" or Jabba was a "mafia don" or Black Sun was a "tong". That said, cantinas are cantinas and not bars, usually. And Jedi are called "monks" IU -- although that's a term that nobody seems to mind being applied across cultures and religions. (And there are some pretty random cultural appropriations, like I think Wat Tambor is an "Emir".)

16. Dream-Thinker

Dream-Thinker Jedi Master star 4

May 20, 2020
    Star Wars has kinda always been multi-cultural: Ahsoka has an Indian name with a Japanese-inspired design, Cassio Tagge has an Italian-sounding first name, Jun Sato's name is (from my admittedly limited understanding) a pretty normal Japanese name, Jedha City is basically the Star Wars equivalent of Mecca, both the Supreme Chancellor and the Naboo monarchs have term limits that mirror the term limits of an American President, Tatooine and it's moons are named after locations in Tunisia and Nien Nunb speaks in a Kenyan language.

Not saying it's bad or good, because I honestly don't know. But I do find it interesting.

17. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    The bigger one for me was actually the use of the word 'wizard' in Star Wars, but if that's fine I don't have a huge issue with Ronin, although I do appreciate where you're coming from. I'm not a big fan of grounding Star Wars with lots of Earthly terms.

18. PimpBacca

Oct 4, 2015
    Hot chocolate is still wired to me

19. jedisor

jedisor Jedi Master star 2

Apr 22, 2011
    What's a duck?

20. T7-01

T7-01 Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
  21. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Thanks to Galaxy's Edge, Coke, Diet Coke, Dasani, and Sprite all have canon Wookieepedia pages.

22. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    ronin is basically just a person with out a master which does work in Star Wars

Jedi Ben likes this.
  23. Supreme Leader Woke

Supreme Leader Woke Jedi Master star 2

Dec 29, 2017
    I think I knew that at one point but had decided to forget it. Thanks for the reminder...

Daneira likes this.
  24. FiveFireRings

Nov 26, 2017
    I kinda regret bringing it up, but what I was going for is that it's a term that's kind of specific to the Bushido code, as I understand it anyway. So "knight" or "warrior" seem generic enough, but at first blush, "ronin" read to me as something akin to "Knights Templar" in its specificity. At this point, though, I'm remembering Obi-Wan using the word "crusade", though, which is super culturally specific (and yucky) in its connotations and etymology, so, like, pretend I didn't mention anything!

Dannik Jerriko and Darth Corydon like this.
  25. EmperorHorus

EmperorHorus Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2016
    Millenium Falcon has to be named after something . . .