main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    “Riff raff”: people who don’t want Black people murdered by police.

“People who have done nothing wrong/law abiding citizens”: people who want the “right” to shoot someone over a TV or video game console.

Juliet316 , Nobody145 and blackmyron like this.
  2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Well, he's referring to fake claims that were, in part, straight-up fabricated: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/antifa-rumors-spread-local-social-media-no-evidence-n1222486

So.... it was a fake threat that was actually saying stuff like the following:
    So yeah, that'd be fair to call that riff raff if it wasn't just white nationalist propaganda but was real.

Then showing up doesn't prove rural areas having guns worked, the whole thing was made up to begin with.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
  3. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I meant that cameras are overkill IMO(I said that too) as in it is over kill to have them in so many places. Especially when they are pointed at like everything. Im not a fan. Thats all. Has nothing to do with guns. I was talking about too many cameras.

Nope - didnt say that. You did. Either way, there were clearly some troublemakers amongst the protestors, despite some of you finding 100% of them to be angels. They were burning buildings, destroying private property & businesses(some of which were owned by minorities. Smooth move, ExLax :rolleyes:) and looting. Deny it as you wish.

Word got out that they were going to bring that nonsense(the mayhem,not the protesting) to the 'burbs. Once they correctly deduced that such things werent going to go well they backed off. Excellent choice. Nothing to see here.

4. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    So having a Camera is overkill because they're in too many places but having a gun isn't overkill. I assume this is because guns are rare as hens teeth in the US?

5. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I just spit out my coffee.

6. Runjedirun

Runjedirun Force Ghost star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    You know when I don't feel threatened? When I walk by my neighbors houses with ring doorbells, or even the guy who has a real fancy light that turns on by his fence down the street and I see the camera follow me. Because I'm not doing anything wrong. Just like when I walk in 7-11, the mall or the bank. I'm on camera and I'm not feeling threatened because I have no reason to feel scared, but if I'm anywhere and feel that someone might pull out a gun. Which is unfortunately more often than you may think. Anytime I used to go to a movie theater or any packed crowded place where I didn't have to go through a metal detector first. Yes, I love amusement parks and sports arenas for using those! Sometimes even when someone is just sitting in a car suspiciously. I have to wonder, why are they sitting there? could they have a gun? am I safe? Cameras = no threat Guns = threat.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I always view right before metal detectors as being like fish in a barrel.

No it didn't. You're making whole narratives up and, in part, promoting white nationalist propaganda. Word didn't "get out", people made things up that were never going to happen. Guns didn't deter people because there was never a mass movement (organized or otherwise) to take violence to rural or suburban areas.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Indeed.

@QUIGONMIKE do you live in an urban area and were you either participating in the protests or watching them on live stream? I have done all of the above.

The only “riff raff” were the white nationalist infiltrators that you support.

If you are so sure that I am wrong and that good suburbanites are running off non-white-supremacist “riff raff” with their murder weapons—show your source.

9. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Not like guns deterred that actual semi-organized mob that attacked the Capitol in January on their leader's order. Though it probably didn't occur to them that the police would use full force against them (and they were lucky enough to get away with it).

There probably is such a thing as too many cameras, but sounds more like someone doesn't like accountability (or rather lynchings and police brutality caught on camera).

10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh yeah. The actual riff-raff, who assumed that police would not stop them because they were “patriots”, who beat police with flag poles while their flags say “blue lives matter,” and who use their “right to keep and bear arms” to threaten to shoot Nancy Pelosi in the “noggin.”

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Star Trek Q or the Bond Q is the type of Q follower I could become. :D

Emperor Ferus and Juliet316 like this.
  13. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    language:

[​IMG]

[face_flag]

14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Rew likes this.
  15. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I wonder if that will be presented in a way that tries to link them to the two shootings; particularly for any changes that wouldn't have impacted those shootings. The background check on ghost guns, for example, that's being discussed.

Which isn't to say that's not something worth addressing, but it would seem disingenuous if this is presented as a solution in response to shootings it wouldn't have prevented rather than just a general policy.

It does mention the following:
    That seems particularly toothless, as if someone fails a federal background check, that quite often is going to be a crime, not just a warning. And there is very little enforcement of that. It seems like he could push for that to actually be enforced for a change, if he wanted.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    what is being categorized as a mass shooting took place in northwest south carolina last night, rock hill. medical doctor who founded and ran a well-known hospice/palliative care center in the area for 30+ years was murdered along with his wife, a friend, and their two grandchildren, aged 5 and 9. suspect evaded the police for a few hours, but was eventually found dead in a home nearby.

rock hill is essentially a suburb of charlotte at this point, but maintains a "small town" persona. this will be devastating for their community.

Rew likes this.
  17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    A doc who is providing hospice care? :eek:

18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    yeah, he ran a few medical facilities, it sounds like. the story has taken a weird turn, the gunman is a former nfl player who played defensive back for a few teams over a six year career, before it ended with an injury. i wonder if cte is somehow involved.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    CTE? Stands for?

20. mnjedi

mnjedi JCC Arena Game Host star 5 VIP - Game Host

Nov 4, 2012
    Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. It’s a brain disease that stems from getting hit in the head repeatedly. It’s a pretty big issue among former NFL players.

21. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    chronic traumatic encephalopathy = "brain degeneration from repeated head trauma"

showing up in a lot of retired contact sports athletes, especially high among football players. causes all kinds of horrific effects, violent behavior towards self and others among them. a few players who committed suicide due to suffering from CTE specifically shot themselves in areas other than their head, so that their brains could be studied.

22. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Liked for the info, less for the nature of it.

23. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey, the NFL is addressing the problem after decades of covering it up. Any day now.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
  24. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    They're addressing it by adding a 17th regular season game.

Rew and CT-867-5309 like this.
  25. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    I don’t think it’s fair to claim I support white nationalists when I certainly do not. Claiming that there were some "up to no good" protestors is accurate and fair. Doesn’t make me a while nationalist. You don’t get your message across by destroying innocent peoples property. Just makes you riff raff.

On this recent shooting in SC, I’m serious to know where he got the gun, if it was obtained legally and all those other details that seems to elude the media who’s ready to jump on the "ban guns" bandwagon. We shall see. The info will come out. Appears the guy was an ex NFL player.