main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    You have to keep in mind that when Zack Snyder was working on the Justice League script and film between 2014-2016 with Chris Terrio, he was still on track to make it in a few parts, with Ben Affleck set to film his version of Batman that would feature Deathstroke. (Ben Affleck release this test footage of Deathstoke on his Facebook page in 2016
    )

Therefore, the Snyder Cut was to setup those subsequent films. There are story boards of Zack Snyder's sequels to Justice League were on display at a gallery in Dallas, hosted by AT&T.

Martian Manhunter was suppose to be the John Stewart version of Green Lantern.

pronker likes this.
  2. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    The Mighty Ducks

pronker and Juliet316 like this.
  3. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Nobody.

Just good, completely not clean fun.

A

Rogue1-and-a-half and Coruscant like this.
  4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, those are the ways I go between them, but the traffic isn't usually much better. Easton in particular.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Deathtrap. This is one of those films with so many twists, you can only give the original setup: Michael Caine plays a writer who’s terrified he’s losing his edge, and when he’s blown away by a play former student Christopher Reeve sends him, he decides to murder Reeve and take the credit, freaking out wife Dyan Cannon. It’s a solid setup for a black-comedy murder thriller, but the film goes in multiple directions from there. The result is a twisty, playful, decent thriller, though not remarkable. It overuses a (deliberately) annoying psychic as a supporting character, and gets a bit inert in the middle — it probably should have been about twenty minutes shorter. But Caine is good, and Reeve is really fun playing very much against type as a character who has more to him than it seems.

6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Godzilla vs. Kong

It's a fun film with lots of nice action scenes and some cool visual fx. Most fans should be pretty happy with it, especially Kong fans as he gets a lot of the focus.

After only one viewing, I think I do prefer Godzilla King of the Monsters though due to the kaiju that appear in that film. This one was good though and has quite a few things about it that are pretty neat.

Will be rewatching it again on Friday night.

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Kajillionnaire .

... I dunno , I was expecting quirky an' all that , but I just got bored.
    I think it was trying to be like Parasite , but the difference is : Parasite felt sincere , this doesn't .
    I quit after about an hour.

pronker likes this.
  8. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    Godzilla vs Kong

pronker and christophero30 like this.
  9. Guidman

Guidman Skywalker Saga Mod and Trivia Host star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 29, 2016
    Godzilla vs. Kong
    [​IMG]

10. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Godzilla vs. Kong - it was fun enough and certainly entertaining. Honestly I could have done without most of the people though.

11. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Escape. This came out in 1940, in the narrow window where we hadn’t entered World War II yet, but Hollywood was starting to get heavily into anti-Nazi films. It’s the story of an American who heads to Germany to rescue his mother from a concentration camp, where she is soon to be executed for the crime of aiding dissidents. It’s a well-intentioned film, but also utterly hamfisted and clumsy, and not in a good way. The dialogue is stilted, the acting rather hammy, and the plot is generic. It occasionally, in good moments, gets at the creepy intrusiveness of a police state, but overall the skill of its execution falls well short of the goodness of its intentions. The American gets in a few good shots as he gets frustrated with the totalitarian state, but it doesn’t offer the thrills of dunking on the Nazis of your better propaganda films. Disappointingly forgettable.

12. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    When I started reading this I was getting mixed up with another Michael Caine murder plot film called Sleuth, but that one stars Laurence Oliver.

13. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Godzilla vs. King Kong
    [​IMG]

In an emoji: =D=

Godzilla vs. King Kong delivers on the advertised heavy weight kaiju matchup as it's a no holds barred and there's no such "save Mothra" instance that resolves the fight.

The film feels like a sequel to Skull Island as it kind of Kong centric, with the humans on Team Kong as pushing the narrative forward; whereas the humans on Team Godzilla are being dragged through the storytelling; mostly there for comic relief and some exposition. Therefore, Team Godzilla is the weak link of the film. Fortunately, titular characters do rise to the occasion and totally the price of admission.

christophero30, pronker and PCCViking like this.
  14. PCCViking

Jun 12, 2014
    D2: The Mighty Ducks

15. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Actually, these two movies would make a good double feature.

AndyLGR likes this.
  16. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Hang ‘Em High. You wouldn’t expect too much from Hollywood trying to ape the groundbreaking style of spaghetti Westerns, not in a first attempt. But with Hang ‘Em High, they knocked it out of the park. Of course, it helps that they hewed to the source by giving Clint Eastwood his first American leading role.

Eastwood brings all his swaggeringly stoic badass charisma to the role of a man who barely survives a lynching by a gang of would-be vigilantes who aren’t too concerned about getting it right, and ends up deputized by hanging judge Pat Hingle to help bring law and order to his overwhelmed territory, and bring the vigilantes in in the process. It’s a great setup, and the film bristles with energy and a gritty edge. The film is sharp, with a great give-and-take between Eastwood and Hingle, and it’s got solid spaghetti style courtesy of a badass score and director Ted Post, a longtime TV director who somehow never got much of a film career going, even with Eastwood giving him another high-profile showcase in Magnum Force. Eastwood has great support from a murderers’ row of character actors that includes Hingle, Ben Johnson, Ed Begley, Bruce Dern, Dennis Hopper, and even Alan Hale, Jr., plus Inger Stevens as a fragile love interest.

The film is a great Western and an absolute blast of entertainment that sits comfortably alongside the rest of Eastwood’s tremendous body of work in the genre.

17. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    I can deal with black bars, either horizontal or vertical. I cannot tolerate stretched images in any shape or form. Nope, nope, nope.

We just watched the first half of Zach Snyder's Justice League as well. The second half is coming up tonight. I like it well enough so far, even if Darksaid reminds me a bit too much of Avengers: Endgame. To be fair, I don't mind them stretching JL to nearly four hours, there's much more room for character development. Endgame left me a bit breathless, to be honest.

Rogue1-and-a-half and pronker like this.
  18. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    I WATCHED XMEN DARK PHOENIX AND IT SUUUUUUUUCKED, AND I GET LIKE NO FREE TIME, SO IT WAS DEVASTATING THAT I WASTED 1 1/2 HOURS THAT I COULD HAVE USED WATCHING ANOTHER MOVIE!!! :( :( :(

19. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    I feel your pain. I watched it, too, but I knew going in I'd need half a bottle of wine to get to the end. Next time consult the JCC on you viewing choices. I generally search this thread before watching a movie I'm not sure about to see the general opinions on it. At least I've got a good idea what I'm letting myself in for.

Flight (2012)
    A passenger jet pilot succeeds in a near miraculous landing after the plane suffers a catastrophic failure in flight, but when he tests positive for alcohol and cocaine, his life starts to spiral out of control.

This is a good, but not great, movie, featuring a predictably outstanding performance by Denzel Washington. Whenever the film leaves Washington to look in on Kelly Reilly it falters a little, which is not down to Reilly at all, it's just she's slightly underdeveloped and feels rather tangential to the main plot a lot of the time. Regardless, if you can cope with watching a character sabotaging himself because of his addictions (always tough to watch, imo), it's a film that will keep you glued to the screen.

JediYvette and pronker like this.
  20. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    You know, with the full benefit of hindsight, I think this movie almost killed me. Going in cold, my friends and I decided to take a shot every time a conjugated version of "to hang" was said.

To this day I don't remember much after the first twenty minutes. Based on your review I should probably give it a rewatch without doing something that stupid. :p

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  21. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    why do you disgrace my post by linking it to the concept of “stretching” images at all? It’s the gravest sin I can imagine.

soitscometothis likes this.
  22. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    Too funny.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Currently watching King of Kings on BBC2. It's the story of Jesus from birth to death.

Juliet316, pronker and PCCViking like this.
  24. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    What happens at the end

25. Dagobahsystem

Sep 25, 2015
    *see The Passion of the Christ

Mel has a sequel in mind no doubt.