main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming The Super Mario Super Thread!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 2, 2002.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    There was a glitch the other day on Walmart's website where you could get a $70 giftcard for $50, so I got that. I used it to preorder 3D World/Bowser's Fury. And I'll spend the other $10 on an indie game or something. Looking forward to those.

2. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Gonna play Super Mario World today. The first game i ever owned. It came with the SNES.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It came with the original, full SNES "bundle" w/the two controllers. But if you bought the Control Set (no game, 1 controller), it did not.

Which worked out well when I bought the Control Set for myself- I had already beaten SMW on friends' copies, so I used the $50 savings to buy ALTTP instead. Sure, I only had one controller but that was all I was gonna need for awhile- and, eventually, I bought an ASCII pad to use as my Player 1 controller, allowing the standard SNES gamepad to then become Player 2. A few years later I eventually bought SMW anyways for my collection but by then it was either a used copy or discounted heavily.

christophero30 likes this.
  4. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    It's kind of funny that hundreds of games and 25 years later it's still my favorite game. That and Doom.

Darth_Foo and Reynar_Tedros like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It’s a good game, Chris. :p

Edit: Hell I usually name Dragon Quest V as one of if not my favorite game and it’s almost as old. It was a good time for memorable innovations on tested formulas.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  6. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I spent my extra money from that Walmart glitch on Taki: An Ancient Epic for Switch. Although I won't be playing it quite yet since I have just started Final Fantasy Tactics A2 on my 2DS as my handheld game for now.

7. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I own the original FF Tactics for PSone but i haven't play it. But I hear it's great. I'm just more into platformers.

8. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    It's great indeed. I played it for the first time earlier this year on Vita.

9. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Some people - probably dangerous loonies - would say FFT is good enough to name your Star Wars message board account after.

10. solojones

Sep 27, 2000
    I have to say, I was very surprised once the name popped up. And of course I didn't change it!

Ramza likes this.
  11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's not short for "Ram Zap!"? :(

solojones and Ramza like this.
  12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Just to avoid confusion: This photo contains no lawyers in it.

[​IMG]

Rew and christophero30 like this.
  13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Played a couple hours of Bowser’s Fury. It already has more story than SM3DW as a whole ;). I’ve done the first 15 Cat Shines from the first 3-4 areas and the first two kaiju battles.

In a way, it’s almost a pseudo- sequel to Sunshine, which is mighty lovely. But also brings in SM3DW elements (as you would expect).

While there is some linearity to its progression, there’s definitely more of the exploration element from the main SM64/SMS/SMO 3D games as you don’t have timers, can backtrack, explore different nooks more thoroughly, etc.

The areas keep evolving as the game progresses too- and within a larger, interconnected world, which which also evokes those games more (especially Sunshine). And that’s on top of the semi-dual-world mechanic of certain things only being accessible while Fury Bowser is raging.

I also turned off Bowser Jr’s assistance as, even on “a little” setting, he was collecting too many of the coins for me. But I could see how he’d make for a fun co-op element in human hands.

I do like the inventory system- you can store up to five of every power up and swap them out at will without losing any. Makes the choice more about figuring out what power-up is best for a given situation versus taking a forced ability.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  14. DarkRula

DarkRula Jedi Master star 3

Feb 3, 2015
    Yeah, Bowser's Fury is a great addition. I'd be interested to see how the concept could be expanded into a full game. A great amount of freedom in which shines you want to go for, so you could just hunt for the mini shines of each area and complete the first mission and then return once you've been everywhere if you so wanted. And the fact it's all so open once you do unlock all the places makes it great. No loading screens to travel makes it great.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, I figure BF had three purposes:

1) Added content value to convince millions of people to buy the new version despite already owning or playing the original.
    2) Give a more SMO-like experience as a draw for new Mario players who have only played SMO as a further sales boosting feature.
    3) Give them a chance to experiment with some new ideas for the next game.

And the latter is what is most intriguing because it'll be interesting to see if any of these concepts get integrated into the next mainline Mario. Given Nintendo's focus on added assistance features over the past decade of Mario games, I would almost expect this helper character feature to carry over (even if it isn't Bowser Jr specifically). Free-roam Plessie levels/areas, dual world conditions and possibly even Giga battle mini-areas (akin to the mega mushroom segments in other games) are also good candidates.

Oh course, I'd live to see the giant playground, integrated area, open-world-like structure carry forward, but that will depend on the direction they want the next game to take overall (a SMG3 obviously can't really do that and still be SMG, and you'd probably have less world variety with an open world approach than if they did SMO2, for instance).

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Pin Set #2 arrived today. My long battle to prevent having only half of the set ends in victory.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    solojones and Rew like this.
  18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Happy MAR10 Day!

[​IMG]

19. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
  20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Dude's got at least three more lives, he's fine.

PCCViking likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    [​IMG]

Rew likes this.
  22. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    apology for poor english
    when were you when mario dies?
    i was sat at home saving the princess when miyamoto ring
    'no'

Last edited: Mar 31, 2021
    Ramza likes this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Thinking of picking up Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury but I wasn't a huge fan of Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U. Is the purchase worth it just for Bowser's Fury?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Together, they’re worth it. By itself, not at full price. I’ve been focusing more on 3DW because I want to 100% it this time, but I plan on getting back to BF soon. But it means I can’t really judge the length of the game.

But from what I’ve read/heard, it’s not full-game length, even though it is several hours (especially if you’re going for all the cat shines). I want to say that maybe it’s half-to-2/3rds of Sunshine in overall scope, just spread out over a larger area and able to completed in less time?

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Condolences.