main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Star Wars is Struggling to Win Over the Next Generation of Kids

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by SG-17, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I actually love that name. I'm glad he finally got one. We should start banning people who keep calling him Baby Yoda.

(I'm probably kidding)

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  2. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I would support this motion if it were put to a vote.

3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I was already in support of banning for calling him Baby Yoda instead of The Child.

4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    [​IMG]

(I just love his reactions everytime Din uses his name)

5. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    To me it’s because they’re not making enough stuff in a new era with a new crop of Jedi or lore, magical space opera is what star wars is and instead they’re giving us little stories all set within the same time also the reylo thing was garbage because gen z or whatever isn’t for that kind of romantic crap Rey would have done better totally independent.

6. Nehru_Amidala

Nehru_Amidala Force Ghost star 7

Oct 3, 2016
    I disagree. At the preschool where I work, we have quite a few Star Wars fans.

StardustSoldier likes this.
  7. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    While I find nothing valuable in TLJ or TROS... I saw plenty of kids still playing with TFA stuff during the lockdown (TFA Kylo is the only Kylo worth being interested in:D), the OT and PT stuff is still plenty good, and right now I kind of think Mandalorians are acting as Jedi substitutes.

8. Sadie Erso

Sadie Erso Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2020
    I'm a teen and I think that Star Wars is still awesome.
    I have many friends who are Star Wars fans but aren't um... much as fanatics like me. lol ;)
    I think that Star Wars is still surviving... I have had a SW cake for over two times in a row for my b-day.

9. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    What are your thoughts on each trilogy?

10. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    @Reepicheep775

Cool name by the way. I love Narnia.

Unfortunately, I have never watched the prequel trilogy. :(

The Original Trilogy has always been my favorite since it was the first ones I saw. I have always loved the Rebel/Empire era. I think they could have done more with Luke's character but still he's my favorite character in the Skywalker Saga. Its a very very happy trilogy, it really gives me a happy feeling inside.. I really can't explain it.

Ah, the Sequel Trilogy... Well, I kind of thought that TFA was like ANH so much it bothered me by even watching it. My favorite would have to be TLJ since Luke's in it, which I kinda don't like what they did to his character, but I still like it anyway. The Rise of Skywalker... oh my gosh, it made me cry (I also cried in TLJ) when Ben died... And it was really really hard for me to watch. I don't know if I'd watch it again, it gives me so much Rogue One vibes *cries*. Last night I watched R1, and I'm hoping to see ANH next week.

11. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    I very much relate to this. Specifically ANH and the end of RotJ make me feel warm and fuzzy inside in a way that few movies do.
    Whenever you get around to watching the Prequels, you may find them refreshing because they are very different from the OT.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
  12. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    My friend said he was going to buy my sisters and I the Blu-ray version of the Prequels for Christmas... long way to go. ;) I heard that Revenge of the Sith was dark, is it?

Reepicheep775 likes this.
  13. Reepicheep775

Jul 27, 2019
    Yes, RotS is definitely dark. I don't want to say much else about it because I don't want to influence your first experience, but it might be my favourite of the Saga. I bounce around a lot with favourites though. Let us know what you think. :)

14. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    RotS is definitely my number one Star Wars film... but my number two is TROS so...

Sadie Erso likes this.
  15. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    J.J. Abrams is a standout SW director. He showed some compositional brilliance. Episode 7 was fresh when it came out. I thought he delivered overall with Episode 9.

ROTS is dark and dank but we are supposed to be in suspense for Episode 4. The suspense and the dark and dank qualities of ROTS are "out of time" since we should have already seen the original trilogy.

Episode 3 ends by playing out the opening prelude lines to the ANH novelization released in late-1976. So I guess that might be the darkness people are referring to.

*Order 66 in slow motion was incredibly dark.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
    Sadie Erso likes this.
  16. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Kids don't like the sequels because there's very little that's mythical/archetypal, the characters are mostly boring, and the aesthetics are as bland as can be. Everything looks dull and no one really struggles. The one brilliant design choice in the sequels was, IMO, the use of Skellig Michael for Luke's island.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  17. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Thank you for your indisputable argument of "projecting how I personally feel onto a generation as children." I mean, there isn't even anecdotal evidence here to support your assertion.

18. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    Yeah, that sequel merchandise was really flying off the shelves! It left Iron Man and Captain America in the dust! :rolleyes:

19. PymParticles

Oct 1, 2014
    Ah, yes, toy sales, the end-all, be-all way to predict what kids today like, despite the fact that merchandise for these franchises becomes more expensive and geared towards adult-aged collectors, while the less expensive toys are of a relatively poor quality, and the fact that kids now are less interested in toys overall than they are with video games and electronics.

If you're going to cherry-pick data to form conclusions through assumption, then I can point to sales for Battlefront II, which "disappointed" to the tune of selling 9 million copies within a month, versus the recent Avengers game, which only sold 3 million copies within a similar time frame and lost the company $63 million. Based on that, clearly the Avengers property just isn't popular at all, right?

starfish and TCF-1138 like this.
  20. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    We're talking about toys, not video games. Video games are a different animal altogether, in that kids these days are more into FPS games and anything that's an instant gratification experience. The fact that games are so wildly different makes it hard to draw any conclusions from sales. Toys, on the other hand, are pretty similar to one another (i.e. Iron Man figures, Vader figures, Elsa figures, etc.). And when it comes to Marvel, kids are buying lots and lots of toys. For some reason, Marvel became very successful in the toy market, whereas Star Wars became nothing but peg warmers. But then finally, Mandalorian became incredibly successful in the toy market, because that show has characters that kids care about, it is based on archetypal storytelling, and it has cool designs. It has been Disney's first genuine success in the toy market.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    Sadie Erso likes this.
  21. Sadie Erso

Aug 3, 2020
    Marvel and Star Wars are totally different but I have to agree with you for some of the things. I have only seen a few Marvel movies and I sometimes feel like the movie people who made them made the movie for adults. But for Star Wars I feel different about that...more like a family franchise...

I can't say anything about The Mandalorian since I have never watched it so... *shrug* that would be a little biased.

22. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    "We're talking toys, not video games, because if we were talking video games my biased narrative would fall apart."

Got it.

23. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    "I will defend the sequels beyond all rationality. In conversations, I'll even move the goalposts so that I can feel superior."

Got it.

Sadie Erso likes this.
  24. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
  25. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I like Star Wars LEGO

got it :p