main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw? (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Violent Violet Menace, Nov 17, 2017.

1. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Kong Skull Island

I like the 1933 original, it's a classic of course, as well as Peter Jackson's epic remake, but this one is my favorite Kong film.

I love the setting in Oahu, the awesome visual effects, the cast, and all the monsters.

Amazing soundtrack too! Black Sabbath, CCR, David Bowie.

2. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Family Plot. Hitchcock’s final movie, it can’t touch his best work, but it’s a solidly enjoyable comic thriller. Barbara Harris is a phony psychic (is there another kind?) who’s hired by a rich client to find her illegitimate nephew, given up for adoption, to be her heir. She’s aided by cab-driver boyfriend Bruce Dern, who fancies himself something of a private eye and usually digs up the dirt for her psychic routine. To their danger, the heir turns out to be William Devane, who’s operating as a high-stakes kidnapper with girlfriend Karen Black. The whole thing is a little silly — Devane and Black’s whole schtick is bizarre and overcomplicated, and down-to-earth confederate Ed Lauter makes a better villain — but it’s fun enough, largely on the strength of the rapport between the adorably dopey Harris and the right-on-the-edge-of-sleazy everyman Dern. It’s not a classic, but it’s an enjoyable curiosity in Hitchcock’s vast catalogue, and worth a watch.

3. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Wow, hadn't even heard of this movie, but it looks pretty great. And invoking Blue Ruin always gets my attention. Did you see Green Room? I quite liked it, but it's not as good as Blue Ruin. More traditional in a lot of ways.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  4. JediYvette

JediYvette Pacific RSA emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 18, 2001
    Awww shucks. [face_blush]

Boba_Fett_2001 and pronker like this.
  5. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    Dark of the Sun. Rod Taylor and Jim Brown star as mercenaries hired to retrieve diamonds from a bank vault and evacuate civilians ahead of rebel forces in the Congo. They have to work with an ex-Nazi merc who’s obviously going to be trouble. This could be a fairly standard adventure film, except that it’s outrageously violent and brutal by 1968 standards. Even now, it’s a dark, grim watch. It’s a relentlessly, tastelessly vicious assault on the senses, but it’s also exactly the kind of film you can see a young Quentin Tarantino enraptured by (and Tarantino is, in fact, a fan, as is Scorsese). Its nihilistic, macho, exploitative brutality functions as an early indicator of the direction exploitation cinema would go in the seventies. It’s not a particularly good film, not a fun one, certainly not the kind you can unreservedly recommend, but it is a captivatingly grimy, testosterone-dripping, brutal action film.

gezvader28 and pronker like this.
  6. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    Godzilla King of the Monsters

Gojira, Mosura, Rodan, and Ghidorah!
    Doesn't get much better than that. This film has such awesome kaiju scenes. Rodan emerging from the volcano, Ghidorah's first appearance, Mothra sacrificing herself for Gojira after stabbing Rodan, and Gojira himself in all his scenes.

This is my favorite installment out of the 4 Monsterverse films.

7. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Superman: Red Son (2020)
    In an alternate reality, the alien that will be known to the world as Superman crash-lands in Cold War-Era Russia and grows up to be an ally of Joseph Stalin. It features a handful of DC characters with somewhat minor roles; I liked the movie more as a history lesson than just about Superman beating up the bad guys.

The alt reality of history definitely plays a major role, and not just for familiar DC characters like Luthor, Lois, and Jimmy Olsen, but real life historical figures as well.
    For instance, one scene has President John F. Kennedy alive and well in 1967. That couldn't have been an accident.

I haven't read the comics this was based on, but I imagine the story they had was far more detailed than the hour and a half film could possibly include.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  8. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    One wonders when they'll get around to adapting "Speeding Bullets".

9. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    Well Marvel is already coming out with their What If series with alternate realities; maybe DC would follow suit at some point.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    Ooooh!! I can't wait for the adaptation of ""What if the Silver Surfer, White Tiger, Night Rider, Iceman and Moon Knight fought Wendigo in a snowstorm?" followed by "What if the Black Panther fought the Shroud, Master of Darkness, in a coal mine?"

Juliet316 likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Danger: Diabolik! (1967)

Mario Bava’s super sexy -and sometimes silly- ode to Italian comics villain, master thief Diabolik and the authorities many attempts to arrest him and his lover Eva Kant. I love this film. It’s my second favorite movie by Mario Bava (Best known for kick starting Italian horror, giallos and making the template for the slasher genre). If Mario didn’t make the brilliant Mask of Satan (a.k.a. Black Sunday), this would be my favorite of his movies.

Anyway, you’re not to here to watch the government and police trip all over themselves trying to capture Diabolik. Nor do you care about their uneasy relationship with other criminals to snare our title rogue. Nope, this is all about cheering on the rakish, ninja-like thief as he steals jewels and money for his girl.

John Phillip Law came from that stoic ‘60s acting style of wooden camp. He was a good looking man who played good looking superficial men -and a blind angel- and it’s fun to see him make Diabolik such a playful and dashing thief. Bava never hides how gorgeous Marisa Mell was either. As Eva she often steals the scenes with her beauty and cleverness, easily wearing mod fashions better than the models of the day.

Watching these two having sex underneath millions of stolen dollars just seems right.

When you want a playful, psychedelic take on comic book super thieves, start here.

12. Ahsoka's Tano

Oct 28, 2014
    I think it looks fine. Frankly I'm more excited about it than I am over the new Falcon/Winter Soldier series.

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    (Reposting from Monsterverse thread)

Godzilla vs. Kong (2020)
    Viewing Experience: Theatrical (IMAX w/Laser)

It was great to be back in the biggest theater again. The scale was very enhancing of the experience- even with the wide shots needed to fit them all into a single shot, just that size on the screen is truly awe-inspiring. Godzilla has never been scarier when he's angrily staring/snarling at you at almost full-size from that screen.

A fun coincidence occurred when, after the first clash, my friend went "Round 1 goes to (Kaiju 1)." and, then, later, an actual character in the film goes "Round 2 goes to (Kaiju 2).". We, the audience, are part of the experience .

To keep this brief- the fights are fantastic, the human storylines have been scaled back from KOTM (except for MBB's subplot which felt really unconnected to everything, even though the evolution of her character since the last film is probably one of the more fun performances in the film). The mythology is further expanded with some disorienting (in a good way), unique visuals tied to a camera style that was either evolved from them or brought in to thematically mirror or pair with them (there are a lot of locked-focus camera rolls that keep the audience topsy-turvy with characters getting tossed around. It's very cool).

There's definitely more development with Kong than Godzilla, for reasons the plot does a good job of explaining. But since it necessitates keeping Godzilla at a distance, we don't get those hero moments for Big G to get us cheering like we did in KOTM. However, that's probably fair in the long run with KSI and GvsK for Kong balancing out G14 and KOTM for 'Zilla.

Mechagodzilla was effectively dangerous- though the Ghidorah head element felt underexplained. I get that they were using it to communicate between sites and that drawing energy from it is what attracted Godzilla, while the telepathic element was harnessed for remote pilot controls. But was it Ghidorah that took over control of the machine at full power?

I'd also say that there was an interesting rock/paper/scissors element going on, with G > K, M > G and K > M. Though given how Mecha was only effective at keeping one Titan at bay, I don't think it (under normal operational human control) could have handled Ghidorah or any other Titan capable of regeneration and multi-vector attacks.

I just pictured Jeff Bridges in Tron now saying "Now that is a big hole!"

I don't think it's the best of the Monsterverse films (that is still Skull Island) or my favorite of the films (KOTM, which, even though it isn't as lean as GvsK, has more stunningly beautiful shots, higher highs in kaiju action and a far more effective score). But I would probably say it is right around par with Skull Island. G14 remains the weakest entry.

Now to go rewatch some highlights on HBO Max…

14. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I've seen this both MSTed and unMSTed, and enjoyed it. It's interesting to compare Law's more restrained work here with his more humorous work as Sinbad in "Golden Voyage of Sinbad" and his waaaaaay over-the-top villain in "Space Mutiny".
    Oh, and I understand they made a new Diabolik movie that was supposed to be released in Italy last year, but COVID scrubbed those plans.

Master_Lok and pronker like this.
  15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Shutter Island Great at building atmosphere and Leo gives it his all. The twist was obvious and dumb-- so much that I was waiting for the "real" one-- and kinda dragged everything down. Don't know why I didn't watch this earlier.

Stardust Wanted a fantasy or science fiction movie I hadn't seen that wasn't total crap. This was decent enough. Nothing special. It was clearly trying to be a New Princess Bride, but never reached it.

16. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Extraction

This was a better than expected action movie - good fight choreography, gunplay to match John Wick and topped off with an excellent pay-off at the end.

17. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I love JPL as Sinbad, Diabolik and his sullen gunslinger in Death Rides A Horse. I revisit Sinbad and Diabolik at least 1-2x a year. Space Munity was fun too (Haven’t seen that in ages though). Barbarella remains a struggle (but at least Law wasn’t crammed into leather hot pants like David Hemings!) I heard about that new Italian Diabolik, I hope it does well if it ever gets released.

pronker likes this.
  18. Master_Lok

Dec 18, 2012
    I was looking forward to seeing this, but watching this trailer again: yeah that looks great.

I like that What If? is an anthology series. Love the animation style (Nods to classic Disney while definitely feeling more like Marvel Studios which I see was the point. That’s awesome.) Of corpse,
    I’ll sit through Marvel zombies yuck to see Buck again
    (if they release merch -especially a figure or art with this WS incarnation- I am all over that.)

Looks like there will be more than one season :) so I’d
    like to see Marlene become Moon Knight as she has her own issues with violence.

Anyway, thanks for reposting the trailer. :)

Juliet316, pronker and Ahsoka's Tano like this.
  19. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999

Interesting teaser, but it should've ended with Law-style laughter.

Master_Lok and pronker like this.
  20. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Hucksters. Clark Gable plays a fast-talking, fast-living ad man trying to get back in the business after World War II, but who gets a creeping conscience after romancing socialite Deborah Kerr. The film, adapted from a trashy “expose” of Madison Avenue but cleaned up enough to get on screen, is pretty mediocre. There’s a good cast, including Ava Gardner as an old flame, Adolphe Menjou as Gable’s boss, and Sydney Greenstreet as a tyrannical client, but the film is rather messy, too much melodrama all over the place and not enough focus.

pronker likes this.
  21. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)
    VFX are OK, Brendan Fraser is always fun as the dork next door, but the writing just isn't good enough.

Chancellor Yoda, AndyLGR and pronker like this.
  22. Havac

Sep 29, 2005
    The Liquidator. This very early Bond spoof has a Shirley Bassey theme song, a colorful illustrated credit sequence, Jill St. John before she was a Bond girl, and absolutely no idea what it’s doing. Rod Taylor plays a guy who’s recruited as a spy-killer by intelligence honcho Trevor Howard on mistaken premises. He enjoys the high life, but, finding himself unwilling to kill, he hires out the actual killing to a professional hit man. This is the film’s one real idea, but it does nothing with it; it’s just a throwaway gag in a film that’s otherwise extremely short on gags, a spoof that has no clear idea of what it’s spoofing, and little more than a sort of vague wink at Taylor’s skirt-chasing to offer on the comedy front. The closest the thing even comes to a plot is Taylor chasing St. John, Howard’s off-limits secretary. It’s an utterly misguided effort. It has some very nice scenery and sets, and one decent action sequence where Taylor fights a henchman atop a precariously perched cliffside car. Aside from that, all you can say for it is that at least St. John is better than she was in her actual Bond film.

AndyLGR and pronker like this.
  23. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007

Son of Kong (1933) starring Robert Armstrong, Helen Mack, Frank Reicher, Victor Wong and Kiko; directed by Ernest B. Schoedsack. It's fun, it's piquant in the sense that "it pricks the interest," and it seemed a good Easter film because it says much about feelings, remorse and redemption. It's interesting to me because it reminded me of Fantastic Four from a long ago read in that Reed gets sued by NYC due to his part in bringing destruction to the city from his enemies attacking the FF. The look on Reed's face mirrors Robert's as Robert dodges process servers and figures out how in the hell he's going to get out of his fix. He can't. Luckily, good ol' Frank offers him a partnership hauling copra in the Dutch East Indies, which is where Robert meets Helen. Helen is a waif songstress in her dad's tiny showbiz act currently performing in Dakang (which is in Taiwan if that's the place they meant, but never mind), soon orphaned and a stowaway but wouldn't Fate have it that mutineers shove Robert et al. ashore on Skull Island, which places her into danger, too.

Kiko (which seems to be Kong's son's name per fans) is cute as a button at 12 feet tall, young and playful and protective of Robert et al. once Robert saves him from quicksand. Throughout, the feels surge to the forefront without the dangerous backbeat of King Kong's size and strength. I liked the lessening in tension without comparing this film to the classic one released a mere eight months earlier. At 70 minutes, there's action aplenty in the final third and one fantastic bit with Helen right about mid-film; she drags her comatose dad out of their burning home backwards and a tracking shot emphasizes her strength as she kicks chairs, boxes and everything else out of her way. He dies anyway, her possessions go up in smoke and there's neat foreshadowing because the next day, she tries to recapture the monkeys that form the pitiful remnant of her dad's act. Robert happens along and gets his own love interest via Helen because she appears to need his brand of sunny optimism.

Soon, the same King Kong screenwriter (Ruth Rose, married to director Schoedsack) put Kiko through his paces in wonderful stop motion against a cave bear and mysterious dragon appearing creature; other menaces include a sea serpent and a styracosaurus that just, I don't know, got tired of menacing Frank, Victor and the bad guy and wandered away. Talk about realism in animal behavior! Speaking of the bad guy, he gets his comeuppance via Skull Island's marvelous fauna. I liked this movie because it was like a fairy tale, not just for the fantastic fauna but for the apocalyptic end of Skull Island and poor little Kiko via the above clip. For a jollier clip, here's an April Fool by a very accomplished director:

24. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Yes. Son of Kong is a fun little movie.

pronker likes this.
  25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The Wolf Man cant believe I’ve never seen this classic before. Lon Chaney Jr plays the cursed Larry Talbot who returns home to Wales after the death of his brother, only to be bitten by a werewolf when he tries to rescue his friends girlfriend that’s attacked. The make up of the monster looks a bit funny by today’s standards and its been parodied so many times over the years too. But you cant deny that Universal knew how to do atmospheric fog shrouded gothic horror films. This and Scarlet Claw only 3 years later are perfect examples of it. In fact I’m sure The Wolf Man borrows some of the score from the Rathbone / Bruce Sherlock Holmes movies.