main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Books The Essential Legends Collection Trade Paperbacks Series

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 2, 2021.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Kicks off with HTTE, POD & Shatterpoint (which is also getting a new, unabridged audio edition) June 15th, with the next batch coming in the fall. Retail will be $16 each.

[​IMG]

They've also posted a comparison of the former MMPB size vs the new TPB format:

[​IMG]

If you follow that tweet thread there are solo pics of all three covers, with them emphasizing how the new style collects all the text at the top to allow the new cover art to have more design space to work within.

In the responses, when someone brought up hopes for the X-Wing series, they mention "stay tuned" (however, I personally cannot see how they could top the original covers in any way, shape or form, but they're welcome to prove me wrong).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    MrDarth0, Slater, AusStig and 8 others like this.
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I have those so won't be buying again. However I'll keep an eye out for any I don't already have.

3. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I know this is about books, but if this means the UK will get the Republic commando and first four X-Wing novels in E book then I’m all for it!

clone commander bossk likes this.
  4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have all three in hardcover, so i'm good too. However, if this essentials line continues to be built out over the next few years at a good clip, the uniform formatting style would make for a nice side collection. Even if for newer readers.

The new artwork and audio book releases are exciting, though.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't like a 3rd HTTE reprint in 10 years, but it is probably to be expected, since it is the most well known EU novel.
    But buying them anyway, so we can for certain get more reprinted covers for other stories.
    Haven't really collected the audiobooks, but if getting Shatterpoint helps get NJO series audiobooks made, I will buy them.

Vialco likes this.
  6. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    Yessss! A Shatterpoint audiobook at last! Oh let it be Marc Thompson!

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  7. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Wait...ACTUAL Audiobooks! FINALLY!

Hate the fact we have only abridged versions of things.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2021
  8. SyndicThrass

SyndicThrass Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 25, 2016
    Wow those are some handsome covers!

AusStig and Dream-Thinker like this.
  9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    There was an abridged version performed by Jonathan Davis that came out back when the book was first released. Still got the CD’s on my shelf :D.

10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Please let it be a black narrator. As I said in the Maclunky thread, it was so cringey listening to Jonathan Davis voicing Mace Windu and the other Korrunai. There’s no excuse for that in Woke 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darthcaedus1138 and Vialco like this.
  11. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
  12. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I'm so glad these classics are continuing to get re-released. :)

Vialco likes this.
  13. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Thank goodness for used book stores.

14. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I have all three in hardcover, but I will most likely buy these to support the line. Love the size!

15. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    I have these books (well two but I only want them anyway), so I shan't be purchasing them agin. But a full audiobook of Shatterpoint is good to hear, I hope we will get more full audio books in the future, like for NJO and the rest of the Clone Wars Multimedia books.

16. AV-6R7

AV-6R7 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2014
    Think I might, uh, need all of these. Better start making some room in my collection.

17. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What's the bet that the next two releases complete the Thrawn and Darth Bane trilogies? And maybe 2 more Clone Wars books or will do one shots in other eras?

@DarthInternous Are only 3 books going to be released at a time, every couple months, or could we expect more or less at times?

AusStig likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    There is a logic to a set number of releases to a set schedule, allows purchases to be planned.

AusStig likes this.
  19. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    Could be like the comics essential collections.

20. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's gonna be like baseball cards...

"got it, got it, got it, got it, got it, need it, got it, got it, need it, got it, don't want it, got it, got it..."

The big problem I have here is...who decides what it essential?
    Now, I suppose the "essential" label can be more generously applied if the sales numbers are agreeable.
    Still...Do we get the Thrawn Trilogy and then see them skip the Jedi Academy?
    Do they "essential" the Rogue's X-Wing books and skip the Wraith's?
    From the picks this go round, it looks like they want to cover the major eras with each release cycle. Gonna run out of Old Republic stuff kinda fast.

It almost feels like a gamble...if you get in on the ground floor and collect these, and the essential series is popular, you could end up with a valuable collection that spans a wide chapter of the franchises history.

If you wait to see if this is gonna "be" popular, and thus worth jumping on board with...you could risk missing out on early titles that may become hard to find, particularly if the fandom gobbles them up.

Or, you could just buy Heir to the Empire for the 5th time in 30 years, and the series falls flat, and you don't even get the rest of the trilogy in the format.

But then you have a copy of a franchise misstep, which is probably more valuable then a popular triumph.

----------------------------------

I REALLY don't need another copy of Heir to the Empire...

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  21. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Shatterpoint is going to have a unbridged audiobook... :eek:

Wow, thank you Lucasfilm. It's been awhile since I've said that. An unabridged Shatterpoint has been high on wish list.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  22. DarthInternous

DarthInternous Editor - Del Rey Star Wars star 3 VIP

Feb 7, 2017
    There are roughly four factors that we weigh to determine which titles to add to the essential collection. One of those 4 is the midi-chlorian count of a book. I'm not at liberty to discuss the other three.

23. AusStig

Feb 3, 2010
    So I guess they will do the rest of the Trilogies, but what after Shatterpoint? Labyrinth of Evil? Darth Plagueis? Shadows of the Empire?

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Speculation would depend on how they're planning to stick to the various eras and series. With only one wave to look at it, it's difficult to decipher a pattern. If we assume that any series or trilogy they begin will get completed (or, in XW's case, at least up to the divide between Rogue & Wraith) and will be done so consecutively (versus alternating between series/trilogy installments with other content), and that there'll only be 3 per wave, we're left with two speculative possibilities (assuming that there is a pattern to be found at all):

1) The slot currently filled with Shatterpoint will remain, at least initially, as a Clone Wars (or prequel) release slot.
    or
    2) The current Shatterpoint slot is to be used for one-shots (or, at least, non-series/trilogy titles), regardless of era.

If it is scenario #1, then Yoda: Dark Rendezvous (given its reputation) and LOE (as a film-lead-in) seem like the main candidates if it is constrained to CW-era content (with maybe Republic Commando Hard Contact being an outside possibility/exception, given the game's upcoming rerelease and the lack of need to immediately follow-up with the rest of the series as the first book works pretty well as a stand-alone).

If it expands to prequel-era, you introduce Cloak of Deception, Darth Maul: Shadow Hunter & Darth Plagueis into the mix as likely candidates (though DMSH & DP may not be immediate candidates given that they may want to avoid having more Darth books out while they're still rereleasing the Darth Bane series. Subject variety and whatnot- same reason we wouldn't get Outbound Flight while Thrawn Trilogy is still being redone.).

If it is scenario #2, and we assume the no-series and no-duplicated themes factors are in play, than it probably narrows it to SOTE, Shadows of Mindor, I, Jedi and the aforementioned CW books (since they can get rotated in and out).

SOM may actually make sense since it would be following up Shatterpoint and maintain a "Villain", "Hero", "Series/Thrawn" release pattern. That could also suggest that the Bane slot is not intended for just the Bane series consecutively but all the various Darth books.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    AusStig likes this.
  25. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    What about the movie novelizations? Think we will get reprints of those?