main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books Alphabet Squadron by Alexander Freed

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Oct 5, 2018.

1. KerkKorpil

KerkKorpil Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 7, 2016
    Probably just weeks or months after the first book.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Daneira likes this.
  2. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    So there's good chance that it'll be essentially the same cast of characters carried over from the first book.

3. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    That's definitely the case. All of Alphabet Squadron and Caern Aden and Hera are in the the sequel.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    The book gets better toward the end, but it's slooooow. I suspect the sequel will be faster-paced, because this was definitely an origin story. For more than just Alphabet Squadron, once you get to the end.

Sarge, AusStig and KerkKorpil like this.
  5. Chrissonofpear2

Chrissonofpear2 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 25, 2020
    First book was set at least one month past Endor (though I thought Cinder lasted around three months?) so still lots of ground to cover until Jakku. May be a few time skips between books, also.

6. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    I need the next book to be faster paced... I ended up remembering what Hera did and not much else, annoyingly.

I shall reread before the second.

7. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    As Wesley Crusher taught us....

Sarge, AusStig and Daneira like this.
  8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Re-read? If only it'd be so civilised - it'll be more akin to Unicron scoffing down a planet! [face_devil]

AusStig likes this.
  9. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    This book had been on my to-read pile for awhile, and I'm so glad to have finally gotten through it last night.

To me, it was a great book and the best of Alexander Freed's entries thus far in the New Canon. I found that it had the same gritty, raw writing style Freed displayed in his other New Canon novels, and I do feel that Freed is really carving himself a niche as an author of these war stories. Yrica Quell was an interesting character to me since I could see both her noble side and how deeply Imperial propaganda had influenced her and warped her perspective on events like the destruction of Alderaan. The evolution of Alphabet Squadron was fascinating to read as was learning the backstories of the individual members of the squad, who all experienced their own traumas and losses. I also like the political exploration of how the New Republic, so used to experiencing defeat, must learn how to handle victory, and of the Imperial suicide bombers, who seem to resonate in our own contemporary world of violent radicalization and terrorism. My full review is available here.

I'm now really excited for the next book in the series, which I've preordered through Amazon.

Last edited: May 9, 2020
  10. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm about just over halfway, around page 250 and, had I not known this was a trilogy, I may well have been more irked. But, knowing that does explain the pace taken, Freed has space to tell his story and he's going to use it.

I've enjoyed the 250 pages so far, there's a neat focus on the characters and the story takes its time to ensure we have a clear sense of them. At the same time, I'm not sure any other story has conveyed the sheer chaotic nature of the Empire's rapid disintegration, only amplified by Operation Cinder, in the way this one does.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    You waited until all three books were released before starting the trilogy? Incredible patience.

Golbolco likes this.
  12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    To a degree, yes. But the bigger reason is it's easier to remember what happened in the last book when starting the next one when I have the set available. Noticed some time back I wasn't remembering the previous part of a series because it had been 1-2 years earlier.

13. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    I just finished the first book and, overall, I thought it was really well done.

Wyl was a giant ball of optimism, which I liked, but there were moments, particularly the ones in which Chass is being rude with him, when I was screaming for him to grow a backbone and check her. As the book went on, I began to come around to her POV, especially when she felt that he robbed her of her agency (that moment of realization, one of a few other moments, elevated the book in terms of depth, as messy of a statement that that is), but she was pretty awful to him even before that. I know war is hard and can make people jaded, that is definitely shown to good effect throughout the book, but I was pretty much soured on her character from her very first line, even if it was an 'in-character' statement. The fact that they have a thing for each other is just twisting the knife, for me. If a courtship and eventual relationship is something which the other books in the trilogy run with, I'm manifesting a depiction which will not see Wyl crapped on. I would also like to know why they actually like each other.

IT-O is officially my third favorite droid. (BD-1 is the reigning champ, followed by K-20, then IT-O)

Yrica was my third favorite of the original characters. I didn't really need the twist, but it being a thing actually enhances her character. I would have loved a smaller cast, and less jumping around, so that we could get into her head a bit more, as the story of a former Imperial trading workplaces, in real-time, is fascinating. She contextualizes her new environment as one that can offer some kind of redemption, but, in essence, it's an assignment from the institution which facilitated the need for the redemption. I thought that was a neat touch.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  14. Xander Vos

Xander Vos Jedi Master star 4

Aug 3, 2013
    Don't think you need spoiler tags for a 3 year old book haha.

15. Charmbracelet

Charmbracelet Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 24, 2020
    Lol I wasn't going to use them originally but I figured "Why not?" just in case.