main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC How Has The JCC Impacted Your Life?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabba-wocky, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Share stories of things that wouldn't have happened absent its influence. I'll start.

The other evening I was building blocks with my young relative. Seeing that she became discouraged when her tower fell over, I meant to console. I opened, "[Name] God said, 'Which of you, intending to build a tower--'" And then my mind flash-backed to one Rogue1.5's true masterpieces. My voice hitched as I started again: "intending to build." By now, she had stopped what she was doing and looked over at me curiously. My body started to shake while a grin caught across her features. I erupted in laughter. The both of us did. On the floor, cackling madly, roaring in delight. I'm not even sure what the rest of the family thought was going on. But it was pure and unrestrained glee. In between gasping for breath, I think I finally did manage to strain out "point at him and laugh [sic[" (that actual quotation is "begin to mock him" but I had lost it by that point).

Rogue1.5 has a wonderful gift with words. This is one that keeps on giving. Thank you for all the memories.

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
  3. Rylo Ken

Rylo Ken Force Ghost star 7

Dec 19, 2015
    My son has been hospitalized six times for recurrent spontaneous pneumothorax, four times in the past 12 months. He is undergoing another procedure tomorrow, this time a pleurectomy on the left lung. We like to read together from the dumb joke thread, because they're dumb with just the right level of mild amusement so that no one has to laugh out loud in a way that can cause intense pain, just the normal mental anguish of a dumb joke. It's a hospital tradition, because he's been hospitalized enough times for us to have hospital traditions. Also the emotional support of JCCers makes a real difference. Thank you!

Pensivia, Juliet316, Rew and 26 others like this.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    [/thread]

5. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    How Has The JCC Impacted Your Life?
    Well, I'm still trying to decipher the OP so that's at least three minutes of my life gone.

DarthPhilosopher and Ender Sai like this.
  6. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    It brainwashed me into not committing suicide, accepting my sexual identity, and obliterating the mass's opium from my life.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Have you read the snake joke?

Sarge and Rylo Ken like this.
  8. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    For someone who hates people it’s allowed me to find some people I don’t hate so much. I’ve really enjoyed meeting some JCers like Pointy above. I’ve slept at another JCers house and had one at my wedding. I rarely discuss or am open about my shameful online life.

9. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I learned how to troll my enemies properly with the right link hidden within text thanks to the poster above! (It better still be Vin because if not that will be an epic troll Vin fashion if not lol :p )

In all seriousness, I have met some of the best people in the world thanks to the JCC and built lifelong friendships that I consider family thanks to the JCC.

Juliet316, EHT, Bacon164 and 10 others like this.
  10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm retired now, but I got my last job as a website manager in part due to my Tech Admin experience here.

Juliet316, Rew, Sinrebirth and 9 others like this.
  11. Kiki Jinn

Kiki Jinn Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2020
    I’m a geek but never would have gone to a Celebration and slept out overnight in the sweltering FL heat on concrete with people I’d never met (in rl) if not for this place. Got to see John Stewart, George Lucas, Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher but the communal experience was the really great part.

Also, there were a lot of boring corporate jobs over the years that were made far more tolerable by being able to drop in here.

Juliet316, Rew, Runjedirun and 4 others like this.
  12. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    Made a few good friends here. Love spitballing ideas, rumors and such in various movie-fandom threads, the Cute thread and many snarky, hilarious comments have kept me sane during some rough patches. I hope to meet some of you eventually.

It’s no surprise this is my favorite place to be on the internet. Thanks for making it great everyone.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  13. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Probably involved somewhat in my drift leftward

Sinrebirth likes this.
  14. a star war

a star war Force Ghost star 5

May 4, 2016
    I can honestly say this website is the worst thing that ever happened to me.

15. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    “Drift”?

16. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    You guys certainly help me stay (relatively) stable.

Pensivia and Master_Lok like this.
  17. Beef_Sweetener

Beef_Sweetener Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 25, 2005
    Where else would I learn what to think?

18. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This is about to make you feel old as hell, but we're talking over the course of fifteen years.....

KnightWriter likes this.
  19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Me (car in front) and Vivec (truck):

[​IMG]

Also, you know, I met my wife due to the boards.

Juliet316, Rew, SuperWatto and 4 others like this.
  20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    My life impacted the JCC.

21. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I saw DarthTunick at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

After paying for the Milky Ways he proceeded to leave the store and throw all of them in the garbage. Haven't seen him since.

Juliet316, Sauntaero, hudzu and 10 others like this.
  22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
  23. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would like to think this place has made me a better person, but I’m not sure

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I've learned to take myself less seriously, thanks in part to vin, harpua, LloydChristmas, Diggy & A Chorus of Disapproval.

25. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I blame Vivec entirely for my downloading Steam