main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    George Lucas made the prequels. And the prequels opened doors instead of closing them, whereas the sequels are - storytelling wise- an objective dead end for the franchise that were made by a bunch of randos. Not only that, but they overtly cancel out Episodes 1-6 by saying that Anakin's sacrifice didn't matter, Han was a deadbeat, Leia was a failure, and Luke was a loser. And of course, in the end, Palpatine's granddaughter took over the Skywalker name after all the Skywalker/Solos were dead. Rey never trained to be a Jedi. She received no handed-down tradition. She was just naturally great at everything, and outshined all the Skywalkers, making them all look like chumps. It's as if these movies were written by people who despise Star Wars and everything it stands for. Archetypes and mythology aren't acceptable in a post-modern world. Everything has to be meaningless.

If Disney hadn't had such a hatred for Star Wars and traditional storytelling, then we would've had endless possibilities opened up by the sequels. Luke's Jedi Academy would've opened the door for lots of spin-offs about his students. We would've had spin-offs about Luke or Leia's offspring, and how they worked to follow in the parent's footsteps. We could've seen a successful New Republic, with Leia as the Supreme Chancellor. Etc, etc.

The sequels were an act of cultural vandalism. Star Wars has no future as long as the ST remains canon. All we'll see are shows that mine nostalgia for the past (i.e. OT and PT eras).

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  2. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    This a long winded way of just saying “I don’t like them and can’t move on”. Star Wars is doing fine post ST.

3. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    What's there to "move on" to? Are kids looking forward to the further adventures of Rey, Finn and Poe? Are Disney even thinking about the further adventure of Rey, Fin and Poe? It certainly doesn't look like it. And speaking of "moving on", a lot of fans have done just that: "Moved on" from their love of Star Wars, meaning they won't be passing on that love to their kids. Disney has turned a billion dollar franchise into exponentially diminishing returns.

4. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    *ahem* Guys this is not the thread for this. You are welcome to dislike the PT, ST, heck even the OT if you really want to. But that is not what this thread is about. So move it along and discuss where you think Star Wars is going to go in the future.

anakinfansince1983 and 2Cleva like this.
  5. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    As for the future of Star Wars in theaters, they should just pick the best thing about the Sequels and move on with that.

That best thing being Rian Johnson.

Make Rian Johnson's trilogy, please.

DarthRamRod and ewoksimon like this.
  6. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    I would rather someone new get an opportunity to direct a Star Wars

like Taika Waititi

or one of the folks directing the Mandalorian episodes

Reepicheep775, Bor Mullet and Shamear like this.
  7. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Well, Johnson likely wouldn't be directing all three installments of his trilogy himself! ;)

If it does happen, the original press release only directly stated that he would be writing and directing the first installment – he could very well oversee the second and third installments in the way that Lucas did TESB and RotJ.

8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    As someone who doesn't care for the ST, I concur. They are what they are, and they're here to stay. There is a vast amount of things that can be done with SW, as we're seeing from the current crop of things that are coming. Both old favorites like Obi-Wan, and new things like The Acolyte and Rogue Squadron are going to continue to expand SW into untouched areas. And if we're very lucky, they'll actually be good stories too. Let's hope for the best, and move on from what we aren't happy with. It isn't healthy to fixate on the ST being decanonized. It won't happen, and people are just tying themselves into knots.

9. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    1 - The logic that nothing will change flies in the face of how Hollywood acts/reacts.

2 - "Not healthy" would point towards a doctor diagnosis. Impossible for any of us to know how anyone else is handling it.

3 - Of all the changes and reboots that have occurred in Hollywood/Disney/LFL over the years - saying it won't happen is more like wishcasting because there is no basis for foundation. I remember posts here saying there would never be a ST.

indydefense likes this.
  10. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Canon is a silly thing to get worked up over in general, to be honest. At the end of the day they're all fictional stories anyways. Just like what you like, ignore the stuff you don't, regardless of the labels attached to it.

I don't like the Sequel Trilogy or what it did for the overall Star Wars galaxy. I do, however, enjoy TLJ as its own movie despite that, and I don't lose any sleep over that inherent contradiction.

11. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    LORT hasen't been rebooted yet soo.

12. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    ?

If you mean LOTR then that's incorrect because there are animated versions.

13. indydefense

Jan 2, 2019
    It's not the label that bothers me. It's the fact that other writers will feel compelled to follow what was established in the sequels. So whereas fans would love to see Grogu be the first of many successful Jedi trainees of Luke, I fear that Favreu will be forced to lead us to Kylo killing all the Jedi and burning down the temple. Likewise, it would be neat if he were simply setting up an Imperial Remant with the Empire, but he'll probably be forced to tie it into the First Order.

Unfortunately, Amazon is working on a big-budgeted miniseries:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings_(TV_series)

14. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    I guess my stance on this is all so much looser than a lot of other people's because, in my mind, Star Wars is done. Anything post-Lucas is just extra, but not the "true" thing.

I take what I love – Rebels, Rogue One, The Last Jedi, The Mandalorian – and don't let the bad stuff alter my perception on Episodes I-VI. Heck, even the stuff in the Disney era that I think is good doesn't alter Lucas' I-VI for me. That all stands on its own.

Star Wars is George Lucas. Anything post-Lucas is other people riffing on Star Wars. And that's the only real distinction in my mind. Current "canon" stories being pigeonholed by other current "canon' stories is neither here nor there to me because, to be quite frank, I would be just fine if we never got another Star Wars film or show. Anything that I've enjoyed in Star Wars post‐2005 is just a nice bonus on the side of an already finished package. I love getting those bonuses, but I don't need them.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I didn't say retcons won't happen, I said that the ST won't be decanonized and thrown out wholesale. It made as much money as Disney paid for LFL, and it has a lot of fans. They won't erase it.
    It's a common expression, meaning "don't stress yourself out over something you can't change".

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

@Pro Scoundrel
    I feel like if anything we are gonna be in the era of filling in the gaps or ...rounding the squares....by which i mean...EU material like books, comics and even TV shows will smoothen out the weirder lore , explains things that may have confused people and make the entire Saga feel well rounded.

Much like what happened after the Prequel Era happened and the EU filled in the gaps to make the Prequels and Orginals feel naturally a whole piece.

The "Illusion of Cohesiveness" as I call it.

Books like SKYWALKER A FAMILY AT WAR are already doing this by telling the story of the Skywalkers as whole piece including all the pieces Episode 1-9.

17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I'd say that's the likely approach.

18. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

It's not like shows like Mandalorian won't tell their own unique stories but if anyone is hoping that it will do something that irreconcilable with the Sequel Trilogy, like Luke having a successful academy that doesn't blow up....I don't think anyone is getting that wish.

Will there be retcons...yeah, but there are always retcons, but it won't be complete decanozing of the Sequels or anything that makes the Sequels impossible.

Plus you always movies that could take place in the Ancient past that won't touch any of it really?

Also people talking about LOTR.

Lord of the Rings is a book...Books have SEVERAL (Sometimes) different versions of the story.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
  19. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    The Amazon series is set thousands of years before the events of LOTR, and is therefore not a reboot (and also not unfortunate).

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I mean does it even matter if it's a reboot because it isn't or is set in the Peter Jackson Universe?

I feel using Book Adaptions isn't the same as say something that is first and foremost a movie.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  21. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    My prediction is that F&F will take the story wherever they want. Their work already got one project redone (Obi-Wan needing to be scrapped to fit with what Mandalorian was doing), for them to make another an alternative story is well within their power.

22. bstnsx704

Mar 11, 2013
    Got a source on this?

DarthPhilosopher likes this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You also act that F&F secretly hate the Sequel and are going against KK and instead they are all professionals who more or less get along and that also Kathleen is their boss who HIRED them and kept them on in the first place.

24. AndrewPascoe

AndrewPascoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 26, 2014
    Of course he doesn’t.

25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    There is so much that can be done in a pre-TPM

We could see a return to the PT era, maybe a stand alone with a young Qui-gon Jinn, etc.....

Then there is the High Republic era (300-82BBY). I could see a stand alone/duology working well for this era. The audience doesn't need much explanation. Just that the story is set before the prequels, same Republic, but its golden age. I would focus on a Jedi duo, and not deal with the Nihil/Drengir conflict that has begun in the books/comics. There are other tales that can be told without those enemies. Could be set early HR or long after 232BBY (when the books/comics are set), to give us a fresh space away from what is going on in current HR content.

Next on the List we got.....

Unnamed eras (1032BBY---300BBY), from when the Galactic Republic began to the High Republic era. Little is known of this eras (though a lot of reconstruction was happening) But if Lucasfilm ever wants to give us a film that is set during the Galactic Republic that is neither its golden age nor its late dying self, this age is the place to do it. Young/Jedi Knight Yoda would fit into this period.

Further in the past......

Old Republic Eras.....basically anything pre 1032BBY. An age that lasts thousands of years, from the various Jedi vs Sith/Mando conflicts, etc.

And if the rise of the Jedi predates the Old Republic......

Then we might see the Pre-Republic Era. Perhaps a Dawn of the Jedi film.

If Rogue Squadron is a success, I hope Disney is still motivated to flesh out the Pre-TPM eras in films. I sure hope Taika's star wars film is set long before TPM.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    Darth PJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.