main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Gun Control

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Quigonmike’s “Local news report” is the new Loch Ness monster. A few people think they might have seen it, but there’s nothing there.

2. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "A Local News Report Said It
    Change My Mind"

[face_coffee]

3. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    A local news report I saw said that quigonmike is making strawman purchases for underage inner city gangs associated with drug cartels. It must be true, because I have vaguely credited this to 'local news' with no actual evidence.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I get my local news from Nextdoor. Coyotes, homeless people, and Latino men sitting in their cars are HUGE problems around here.

5. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Oh, the places he goes in his mind. Well, I think Biden wants to do something substantive. But Congress has turned into a thorn in everyone's side lately. To think the Democrats control both houses, but the House is run more efficiently.

I can see the use of guns for hunters to feed their families or for domestic survivors to shoot their abusers. Beyond that, I don't see why we need them in our society, and they are simultaneously scary and yet incredibly boring. I can't fathom why these people want to own them.
    I would respect people who wielded swords, tasers, or fighting staves. In the hands of a narcissist, a gun seems like a coward's weapon, much like the bow and arrow was.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Juliet316 likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well this didn’t take long:

Shooting at Knoxville, TN high school has several victims

As soon as face to face learning resumes, you not only have the freedom to get Covid from your classmates, you have the freedom to get shot at school! And as a reward, you’ll get some “thoughts and prayers [but guns are more important than your life]”.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    I can't help but think the pattern of bad responses by police play into this, as it sounds like, the way it's worded, the student was in a bathroom by himself. In which case he's not currently a threat to anyone, and so officers going straight in escalated the situation.

The only one they're saying the student shot was the one officer.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
    Jedi Merkurian and Lord Vivec like this.
  8. Yoda's_Roomate

Yoda's_Roomate Chosen One star 5

Feb 8, 2000
    Guys this is getting out of hand. Clearly the answer is more guns.

Bor Mullet, Rew, Nobody145 and 4 others like this.
  9. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Correct. There's no way to control this issue. No country on earth has successfully used legislation to stop mass shootings. The only possible remedy is to add fuel to the fire. [face_flag]

10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If every man women and child had a gun the good guys with a gun could then be shot by the police while the white mass shooters can be given a hamburger.

I think the second amendment has a purpose, but assault weapons shouldn’t be in civilian hands. At all.

Yodaminch and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Don't forget arming teachers. New CPD requirement - 3 headshots per clip is the pass mark.

12. QUIGONMIKE

QUIGONMIKE Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 5, 2009
    Domestic abuse cases are the only ones you’re OK with using a gun for defense? Not property owners or innocent people out and about? This just in: crime is up. The malcontents are still experiencing covid fever and have too much pent up energy and clearly nothing better to do. So, I choose the right to defend myself and family. If guns are boring the that’s fine. You don’t need to own one. But people’s reasons are up to them as to why they choose to own them. They might not be boring to someone else.

The bow and arrow is a great invention. It turned the tide in many battles. Cowardly? Nah, more like smart. ;)

I do own several light sabers though. An elegant weapon.....

Whats your answer? Confiscate them from legit gun owners and then.....what exactly? How bout enforcing laws we do have? How about locking up criminals for a long time versus slaps on the wrists? How about getting to the root of why people do evil things? How bout strengthening background checks and such? Nah, that takes effort and might offend someone.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  13. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Calling "taking all guns" a solution that doesn't take effort may be one of the worst in a long line of bad takes.

And you want to get to the root of why people are committing crimes, yet you also are fully opposed to making sure people have sufficient resources such that people aren't viewing crime as their only option. You, and people like you, have played a critical role in *why* there's such an issue with crime that people feel they are in imminent danger. But sure, just say try to dismiss them as inherently bad people, discussing the societal pressures that play a role in crime would take effort and might offend someone.

The whole thing is like someone who constantly piles up oily rags being dismayed that they may have played some role in the fire because they created the environment for it, even though they didn't light the spark.

14. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Ahhhh, the old, if society doesn’t give me stuff I’ll rob them and make them pay. That justifies crime in the minds of many. Terrific. What have I done personally to cause these people to choose a life of crime? What....did I not pay enough taxes? Does me having a job somehow hold them back?

15. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Do you purposefully misrepresent events, Mike, or is cognitive bias that strong?

16. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    American libertarianism has a lot to answer for.

17. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Of course you don't pay 'enough' taxes, in that you don't make enough money to make a difference. This isn't about your paltry money. It's about your support for people who gut the sorts of programs that would help people by removing any pressure on the rich to contribute to society. Both your constant opposition to helping people directly with things like welfare, and in making sure people have opportunities through things like education that can have long term benefits. You are one of the biggest supporters for human suffering on this board, because you think if they're in trouble, they deserve it.

You advocate constantly for the idea that people shouldn't get help, and then you want to pretend to be surprised when they try to find some way to meet their survival needs after you refused to back anyone that wanted to make sure those needs could be met otherwise.

One is left to wonder the chances someone that is so cowardly as to need their own 'safe space' from things they don't like hearing would ever have the presence of mind to effectively use a gun to protect anyone or anything. It is not the mark of someone that is able to handle adverse situations.

Healer_Leona , Juliet316, tom and 6 others like this.
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sums up everything.

And no, “property owners” should not have guns just because they are “property owners,” because if (general) you think a TV is more valuable than a human life and therefore you would shoot someone over a TV, there is something wrong with you—in fact, there is far more wrong with you than with the person trying to steal the TV.

As far as “innocent people out and about”—as an “innocent person out and about,” I don’t want to be in a store or restaurant with some lay person carrying a gun.

Sauntaero, Rew, Juliet316 and 4 others like this.
  19. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Such as? Misrepresent what? Sorry, I dont go for the "we'd better hand over stuff or else" thing. Doesnt work that way. Whats the scoop here? What did I do now? Like you and others hare dont have cognitive bias? Please. The entire planets population has some cognitive bias. People think differently, ya know?

This isnt about TVs over lives its about protecting ones home and family should worst come to worst. Or, with crime UP. people are more likely to want to have some form of personal protection on them if they are in public. No, there isnt anything wrong with me at all. I find it hard to believe that a non-criminal homeowner has more "wrong" with them than some felon. Thats just backwards to me.

20. Lowbacca_1977

Jun 28, 2006
    Most people don't consider a cognitive bias an end goal in the way you do, and you are using 'cognitive bias' to be interchangeable with 'opinion'. Intelligent people attempt to minimize their cognitive bias, you attempt to reinforce it and maximize it. (you're also talking about psychology, something that you've said isn't your field and objected to being expected to understand some psychology basics, so by what measure do you now think you have any ability to talk about cognitive biases, given your statement about not understanding psychology?)

You said that property owners need a gun for defense. So you're either setting up property owners to use a gun in defense of their property, or you believe that people who do not own property do not have the right to defend themselves, only those that do own property.

Twenty bucks says quigonmike is more concerned about someone trying to steal his house than hurt his family, though, given the focus on property and listing protecting one's home before mentioning family as a second thought, and would protect his stuff at the expense of his family's safety in the case of an incident on his property.

You don't know what a felon is. Stealing a TV generally isn't a felony, and a felon is someone that's been convicted, so someone that is stealing a TV isn't a felon (by virtue of that) on multiple levels.

And they just want a TV, possibly to get the money for other more necessary living expenses and not just to have more TVs. You, on the other hand, seem to be itching to get to shoot someone and looking for excuses.

21. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Fixed.

22. QUIGONMIKE

Jan 5, 2009
    Oh geesh. Now what did America do? Always something. ;)

23. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    [​IMG]

Rew, TCF-1138 , Juliet316 and 2 others like this.
  24. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    'No Way To Prevent This,' Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens

25. Vaderize03

Vaderize03 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 25, 1999
    Clearly you have never spent time with a history book. Understanding our country’s past mistakes can help inform how to avoid them in the future. I know I’m asking a lot, but at the very least, try to spend some time studying post World War II American history, specifically in regards to America’s actions in Central and South America and the Middle East, and you might have an inkling of what I’m talking about.

“In the name of“ has been used to justify an awful lot of atrocities, and America is no exception to this. Our attitude towards interfering in the affairs of others, an outgrowth of “Manifest Destiny”, is in part rooted in our cultural obsession with guns.

Your simplistic answer to gun violence— taken straight out of the NRA playbook— is another attempt at deflection, the only real debating skill you appear to have. No one here has suggested, or has ever suggested, confiscating guns from legal gun owners. Responsible firearm possession is not the problem, nor are the people who engage in it. That has been pointed out repeatedly to you, yet you continue to spout this erroneous claim. It’s like a feedback circuit in your brain.