main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mini Series Official "Obi-Wan Kenobi" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darkslayer, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    There really is only so much Vader can be without his helmet though. Probably not very much at all.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  2. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    I don't see why not. The important part is the breathing apparatus.

Django Fett likes this.
  3. naw ibo

naw ibo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 18, 1999
    I think the helmet is protective. His skin is heavily damaged, his eyes were likely damaged as well and very sensitive. Besides why would he walk around with half a mask?

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I can see him taking his helmet off and using the force to breate, to show Obi One how strong he is even without the mask and breathing apparatus. I think we will see unmaksed vader.

5. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    I really don't see the point. I can see us seeing him without it briefly like if he's coming out of his chamber or something. Or even having it knocked off, or taking it off for a moment but not like walking around without it.

I think it would just look silly "See how strong I am! I can breath without my helmet and apparetus"/ "Uh then why don't you do it all the time?" Either he needs it to breath or he doesn't. In ROTS it was just a few minutes(taking into account being electrocuted probably didn't help) and that was being dragged around by Luke, not trying to do much of anything under his own power. But in a situation where he might have to fight why would he waste valuable energy on trying to breath on his own?

Is that we find out? Vader just wears his helmet and breathing apparatus because it looks and sounds cool? He's going for the ultimate in Space Goth armor because he'll show them, no one is more dedicated to the aesthetic than he is! :)

Now I'm just seeing a comedy skit like that Seinfeld episode, there were the Mandelbaums who all thought they were really strong, including the very elderly father. And they would INSIST they could pick up something very heavy and inevitably end up throwing out their backs and ending up in traction.

That's Vader - "What this? I don't need this to breath", takes it off, takes 5 steps and collapses. Space Mandelbaum.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  6. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Of course he needs it as he can't use the force to breath for long time, but fir a short while we can see Vader off his helmet and fight Kenobi s burned faced Anakin. This is darth vader in his prime. And we know certain jedi and sith can use the force to live where others would have died. We know Darth Vader live for short time without his apparatus, like the comics and bboks show us and tell us. In force unleashed 1 ending we see him unmasked.

Glitterstimm and Qui-Riv-Brid like this.
  7. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    Due to dire circumstances that they could have take place in a story. It's something that's never been seen in live-action.

Well obviously in-universe that is actually part of it in the sense that there is a difference between the actual purpose of the apparatus itself compared to the aesthetic which is presumably based on Sith armor styles. It's not like Sidious was expecting to have to transform Anakin so the purely operational part of the suit is one thing.

The goal could have been to have Anakin Skywalker, Jedi Knight by day at Palpatine's side with a secret Sith identity of Darth Vader in the shadows serving Darth Sidious. Either way I doubt Sidious just came up with that armor's look in 5 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  8. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    Man, this is the first time I've anticipated a SW project since friggin' 2005. If this series turns out well then it will have made all the dissatisfaction I had with the Disney trilogy worth it.

If the accolades roll in, my only question will be whether to bite the bullet and subscribe to Disney+, or wait for the DVDs.

Shamear, naw ibo and Glitterstimm like this.
  9. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    There's truly something to be said for the broad popularity of Ewan as Obi-Wan in the public anticipation for this series. I'd honestly say he might be just behind Hamill, Fisher and Ford in terms of actor/character popularity.

10. Qui-Riv-Brid

Apr 18, 2013
    That is going to be the trick of this series. His Obi-Wan was exactly what he needed to be in the PT from his overall look as a younger version of the character to bridging the gap and getting closer and closer to ANH.

He is who he is supposed to be at all times. If they retain that for Obi-Wan and again with Vader then it should be very hard to go down the wrong path.

The one extra meeting inserted between movies will be something that is acceptable if not preferable to some.

naw ibo and Glitterstimm like this.
  11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I've come around to the idea of Obi-Wan getting involved offworld.

But I also would have preferred Obi-Wan living a relatively quiet existence over his nineteen years on Tatooine. Communing with the Force, watching over Luke from afar, poking around Mos Eisley from time to time, practicing his Krayt dragon impression in the mirror...

12. AEHoward33

AEHoward33 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 11, 2019
    Anakin had always existed as himself - whether he was good or bad, or using the name of Darth Vader.

13. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I think it's ok for Obi-wan to take off from watching Luke for a little bit, as long as he has someone he trusts covering for him. Not many characters could work for that, but I think Bail Organa would be fine, since they were part of the same "pact" at the end of ROTS. I guess Ahsoka could do it too, but that might be too much Ahsoka.

14. naw ibo

Mar 18, 1999
    He might leave to keep Luke safe. If he hears he's being looked for it something like that, he's going to need to leave or risk Luke being found near him. He may do it to throw off the trail. He hasn't been traced to Tattoine so he makes sure he's traced somewhere else far away and maybe fakes his own death.

15. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    I think its fair to expect Vader to remove the helmet and confirm his identity.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

naw ibo likes this.
  16. DannyD

DannyD Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2017
    I always thought images of Vader's mask removal were to show some semblance/hope of his humanity, and also a reminder of his vulnerability and pain, not his power. (At least in live action). Maybe that's a reason for Hayden Vader.

Maybe there is a scene where Obi-Wan or even Lars sees Vader unmasked and this shows his vulnerable self - Hayden Vader - and his evil powerful self becomes replaced in the same scene - Masked Vader. This could be the hunting down of a surviving Jedi.

This could be another way if them getting confirmation that Anakin is Vader and affirming why they still need to keep Luke and Leia out of the picture in spite of their abilities for the Rebellion.

17. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Isn’t Vader partially unmasked in “Rebels” at some point, when his helmet is damaged? I forget. I assume it could be something like that.

Or he’s in either the bacta tank we saw in R1, or that egg-like thing from ESB.

18. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    In rebels, we only his eye. So I think this time we can see his face.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  19. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I don't think there'll be a DVD release. The Mandalorian is, after two full seasons, still not out on Blu-ray/DVD, and there have been no indication that it'll ever be released on physical home media.

PymParticles and Shamear like this.
  20. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Their fight will be short:

[​IMG]

21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I doubt Vader will come back to Tatooine, but if he does, Watto is screwed

22. Fin McCool

Fin McCool Jedi Master star 4

Apr 18, 2015
    Breaking news (or chews): On the “Doughboys” podcast comedian Mike Mitchell mentioned he tried out for (but didn’t get) a part playing a “pig-nose guy” on the Obi-Wan show. So there might be such a character in the show.

23. DarthKegs

DarthKegs Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 21, 2019
    I actually never realized The Mandalorian hadn't been released on DVD. Why did they not release it on physical media ?

clone commander bossk likes this.
  24. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Probably to enhance subscriber numbers of Disney+. It's still a relatively new service after all.

The first season turns out to be a surprise hit, season two adds to that, likely adding more viewers on the way. This in turn leads to people catching up on season one and two. If you release any of this on Blu-ray just a year after it came out, you don't really force people to sign up for your streaming-channel.

I guess they will release them at some point, but not yet. Maybe around or after season three. That could be the point where a physical release of season one could lead people to sign up for Disney+ to see season 2 and 3 right afterwards.

25. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Why did they bother holding a casting session when Michael Smiley is still available?

clone commander bossk likes this.