main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Where does Star Wars go as an IP from here?

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Future Films - Spoilers Allowed' started by 2Cleva, Jan 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    To me that's been the biggest strength of all the films and series under Disney thus far. Everyone's mileage varies, but they've all taken on different visual styles and narrative tones reflective of their filmmakers. The unifying thing is that they're collectively emblematic of Kennedy's filmmaker first approach. And looking forward to the creatives behind forthcoming films and series only reinforces that mantra. We know what Favreau and Filoni bring to the table, but Rodriguez, Chow, Gilroy, Jenkins, Waititi, Simien, and Headland are all unique voices to provide fresh perspectives on Star Wars storytelling.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  2. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    No one cares that you don’t like the Disney stuff dude. It’s that you throw everything at the wall and then when stuff sticks you act like you’re Nostradamus.

Many of the people you’re talking to in here, including myself, were disappointed with the way the ST was handled. You’ve strawanned those who disagree with your predictions.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I'm honestly a bit more optimistic that future Star Wars movie projects are gonna be a lot more Director driven than the previous batch of films...which (Even if the ST were more director driven) weren't tied to a director.

It feels like Rogue Squadron and the Taikai movie are director pitched stories.

Sarge likes this.
  4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I hope you're right... I think it's a question of whether Disney/Lucasfilm believes the ST warrants future directors having more control and not less.

5. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    You forget the DMs you sent me?

I get it. Easier to have posts targeting others as jokes instead of owning how bad one defended this mess.

Fortunately - TPTB have no commitment to any SW story because that's not them. F&F do have one.

The narrative that JJ wanted a soft reboot which got GL's treatments canned and then blamed RJ for the ST going off the deep end is the most logical one. No one involved with Disney LFL had any commitment to telling any story but F&F. They are not going to be handcuffed to the decisions made by JJ and RJ (who aren't even with Disney anymore) just for "reasons".

6. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    For someone who apparently doesn’t remember who posts what, or what people’s opinions are, that’s an odd thing to bring up. Honestly I had to go and check what they were about.

You apparently won’t take on the criticism which many have pointed out, and instead would rather double down. Yes, you were correct that the ST was disorganised. I think a fair few people saw that, and others were waiting to see what IX brought about. It didn’t exactly take a genius.

You seem to have gained what many here see as unearned confidence in your powers of insight, and you keep stating “they won’t be bound by the ST” as well as the rather unsubstantiated claims that there is already evidence for them narratively moving away from it. People who have already pointed out that given the STs place, for better or worse, as part of the story for the general public, it’s unlikely they’d abandon it completely. Therefore I think, if there were ever an alternative to the ST, it will be decidedly the ‘alternative’ to the ‘primary’ ST, purely for marketing reasons.

Most people here disagreeing with you have no great love for either the ST or KKs planning of the whole thing (and many of us wouldn’t be opposed to an alternative in some form). What we’re critical of is that there’s not much evidence for this claim you keep making, and you’ve got a certain contempt for people who question you. At a certain point, yeah, people get frustrated that a person who told us that KK would be fired, that somehow there is evidence that Filoni and Faverau are going to undo the ST.

There’s a certain Galliao complex going on here.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  7. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I’m still waiting to hear how exactly F&F have supposedly contradicted the ST already.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

If anything I feel like they're writing has been nothing but informed upon it and is building upon it.

Granted backwards but still.

Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, for one thing, they're making Star Wars good again. ;)

I kid, I kid...I'm a kidder. :D

Reepicheep775, TCF-1138 , EHT and 2 others like this.
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I was about to say that... ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  11. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    That's like arguing why the GOT directors or RJ movies will never be made. I can point out the signs and clear signals that are occurring and posters/mods will swear its made up and in the same day it will be official and people would be like "I didn't see this coming ".

It's clear a lot of SW fanbase wants to believe only what comes from official Disney channels so all you can do is sit back and wait.

12. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    So you got nothing. Got it. Thanks for playing.

13. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I know one things where this IP is going, to the past. High and old republic will the stories for more weird and crazy stuff we cann see plus more fantasy. F and F sure seems to tie and connect with ST for all the rumors of them having a civil war at Lucasfilm.

14. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    I'll add that right with you saying I was crazy to say the GOT guys movies weren't happening the very day it was announced it was canceled

Maybe you shouldn't be playing?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  15. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes, I often times get things wrong. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest since what we’re talking about in the end is a silly space franchise. I also don’t take myself too seriously and act as if I’m some great authority on the goings on of Lucasfilm when I happen to get things right (doesn’t happen often but there have been a few times :p).

But again that’s beside the point and you’re avoiding answering the very simple question I asked. What exactly have F&F done to contradict the ST? I suspect your answer will once again be deflection.

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Or we all knew the got guys movie was never going to happen once netflix entered the fray.

17. 2Cleva

2Cleva Chosen One star 5

Apr 28, 2002
    No one who makes predictions is going to always be right.

I could spell it out but I won't. Without an official decree it doesn't matter to some and even that doesn't mean much. No point in convincing people of something one doesn't have control over.

So I'll just point to what was on screen and people can figure it out from there. Or they won't get it - so be it.

[​IMG]

Looking back that seems obvious (as well as other factors) but a whole lot of people didn't see it. Just as by TLJ it was obvious the ST didn't have a story plan they were working off of but that too was lambasted by many. Or that Rey Skywalker was the obvious answer for the company and a Skywalker trilogy and they went as backwards as they could to get there because again (they didn't consider the story first).

All these failings of the ST is clear but it's going to stay around because "reasons".

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    indydefense likes this.
  18. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I mean I predicted Rey Skywalker. Plus I correctly predicted that KK wouldn’t be fired. Where’s my cookie and credentials?

Riv_Shiel and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    You’re just trolling at this point. You made a definitive statement that F&F have contradicted the ST and now that you’ve been called out to explain what you mean you just post some nonsense that we would deny it anyway so there’s no point in backing up what you said. That’s not how these forums work. Don’t make the statement if you can’t back it up and an image of Luke Skywalker doesn’t cut it. I’m not doing the work for you. You made the statement. You back it up with some kind of argument or it looks like you don’t really know what you’re talking about.

20. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

I predicted Palpatine would be in Episode 9 even before the first trailer hit. ;)

21. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Well i predicted that Ben solo would die.

22. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    That's because they have not. Some fans who can't cope with the fact that the ST sucks seem to believe Luke doing amazing stuff in Mandalorian means Filoni and Favreau are going to retcon the story to fit said fans head canon.

Never mind that one of the core narratives of the Mandalorian seems to tie in with Snoke and Palaptine clonning.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  23. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

You don't even need to tie it in that deep with Cloning.

Grogu does the Force Healing thing that Rey did in Episode 9 .

Imperials have been radicalized and pretty much take their lives before they get captured showing how they are slowly becoming more like the First Order.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2021
  24. Reepicheep775

Reepicheep775 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2019
    I don't see this quote as willfully contradicting the ST or as an indication that the ST will be overwritten. This quote was just written by someone who understands Star Wars and the Jedi philosophy. It has been established since 1980 that the Jedi path requires intense training and discipline and that the quick and easy path is the dark side. The ease with which Rey "learned" her abilities (not to mention Broom Boy) in the ST don't make much sense given that philosophy, but I think that's because those movies were written by people who don't have more than a surface understanding of Star Wars. Favreau writing Luke's line quoted above only contradicts the ST accidentally. I don't think when Favreau wrote that line, he was rubbing his hands, thinking, "See, now this is how Star Wars works!" - though I could be wrong about that. I think he was just writing Star Wars in a way that lines up with George Lucas's vision and the established rules of the universe.

Riv_Shiel and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  25. Fredrik Vallestrand

Jan 15, 2018
    Also people can be strong in the force and use it just as random like broom boy and force sensetives did in animated shows. The only difference is we don't see Rey develop her powers and then she's called a mary sue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.