main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I usually call him Anakin regardless, since that's the name of his true self. Sometimes, though, it feels appropriate to go with Vader. I sort of go with the flow!

darthfettus2015 likes this.
  2. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    yeh i kinda agree tho I think he is definately Vader by the time he kills the separatists

3. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    People are too quick to label the PT and pre-TPM Jedi and Republic as failures without considering that these entities according to the movies presided over at least a thousand years of relative peace and justice for a majority of the galaxy and for perhaps as much as 25,000 years. Whereas the combined rule of the Empire and the First Order can probably not even add up to a century.

4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    70 years, almost a century of darkness.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Even worlds controlled by the Empire from the very end of the Clone Wars to the fall of the First Order (possibly including Exegol) are only going to have been controlled for 23+31 years - that's 54 years, not 70.

The only way to get close to 70 is to treat "darkness" as beginning the moment Palpatine became Chancellor - that adds an extra 13, bringing it to 67 years.

6. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    Yoda thinks he /they have failed

7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    I think he is just referring to having failed to defeat Palpatine in the ROTS duel and beings tend to blame themselves when things go wrong whether it is fair or not.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  8. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    he has been involved in with the jedi for nigh on 900 years.. they failed to forsee what happened. Yoda doesn't go and hide in a swamp for decades for no reason.. not unlike Luke on his island.. hence failure is their link but also the source of the final victory

Sith Lord 2015 and Sarge like this.
  9. devilinthedetails

Jun 19, 2019
    I think Yoda is strategically retreating.

Jedi aren’t perfect and neither was the Republic which could be corrupt but the Jedi and Republic are better than the Sith and the Empire/First Order. I think if we want to consider the Jedi and Republic as failures when they were successful for at least a thousand years than we have to acknowledge that the Empire, First Order, and Sith were much less effective with reigns that can only be measured in decades.

I just think that the life of the average Galactic citizen would have been superior immediately prior to TPM compared to immediately post ROTJ or post TROS and to me that speaks favorably of the Republic and Jedi prior to TPM.

I don’t know if I can describe it better than that and I have the impression it is an unpopular opinion so that is why I put it in this thread[face_dunno]

Riv_Shiel, ThisIsTheWay and Iron_lord like this.
  10. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    just the sound of Yoda audibly choking on his emotion after Bails rescue tells me he is devastated not tactical.. tho he may feel has no option but to choose disappearing as his only option. This is also the reason for my prob unpopular opinion.. Luke does exactly the same in the ST.. both devastated after glorious victories but living to fight another day despite their doubts and fears

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  11. Huncrweo

Huncrweo Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 3, 2020
    I've always felt that the whole reign of the Empire could have been mitigated had Obi-Wan and Yoda not split up near the end of ROTS, with the former going to fight Anakin and the latter to fight Palpatine, but instead stuck together and took each of the Sith on one at a time. Yoda and Palpatine were evenly matched enough that the addition of another Jedi could have conceivably turned the tide, meaning they would have beaten Sidious, and Yoda wouldn't have left Anakin alive, meaning no Vader. Sure, the Jedi Order's still pretty much decimated and the public would still believe that the Jedi had tried to usurp the government, but at least the new rulers of the galaxy would be random Senate bureaucrats rather than two Sith Lords.

JABoomer likes this.
  12. PCCViking

PCCViking Chosen One star 10

Jun 12, 2014
    Palpatine was able to take out 3 Jedi Masters simultaneously, and keep in mind that Obi-Wan was taken out pretty early in both duels against Dooku, who wasn't nearly as powerful as Palpatine.

Obi-Wan may have lasted a little longer if he was with Yoda, but he would have been easily dispatched nonetheless.

13. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Yep, Obi-Wan would most likely have been killed.
    They also had to go after both as quickly as possible, at the same time, to have a chance at success. If they'd taken on one Sith together, the other might've sensed what was going on - or even been warned by his master/apprentice - and taken measures to become much more difficult to find and kill.
    The element of surprise was crucial.

Riv_Shiel and PCCViking like this.
  14. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    I agree. All civilizations fall eventually. The fact that Yoda and the Jedi failed to foresee Sidious'plot does not diminish the thousands of years of peaceful rule before this.

15. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    yes the thousand year peace was a great achievement.. but Yoda still feels his own failure

16. HolyKenobi93

HolyKenobi93 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 15, 2020
    Agreed.

17. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think the failure of the jedi don't really start happenning until 50-100 years before the phantom menace, it's a slow dakness that kills the jedi's light slowly and corrupt the republic.

18. JABoomer

JABoomer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2009
    Communications are not possible while in hyperspace.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    The dark side prevents them to foresee. And Yoda exiled himself because the Jedi are persecuted. There's no link of failure.

20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    their own blindness is the dark side.. for years Yoda thought he was on the same side as Palpatine.. the dark side clouds everything but he should have been powerful enough to see through it. just listen to how distraught Yoda is after his duel with palps... failed i have...
    this is what makes his talk with Luke in TLJ resonate with me so much

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
    Fredrik Vallestrand likes this.
  21. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    False. The dark side is what causes the "blindness":

"The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see the future is." - Yoda

"The dark side of the Force has clouded their vision." - Dooku

"It’s not that they can’t see the dark side coming, it’s just that the dark side begins to envelop everything. It’s like walking into a fog. The Jedi’s ability to see lessens as the dark side grows." - George Lucas

No, it's not about power. Not to mention that's some twisted logic of blaming the victim. If I deceive you, can I blame you for it?

22. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    still doesn't alter the fact Yoda thinks he failed and he would never see himself as a victim.

23. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    He did fail to defeat Sidious. Besides:

wobbits and devilinthedetails like this.
  24. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    i think he is referring to everything

25. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Thousands of years of peace means little when you fail to maintain that peace when it matters the most. You can have all the success you want, but when you fail to stop the one thing you're there to stop, which is the fall of the Republic, those prior successes pale in comparison and lose their luster. And while yes, you cannot pin the failure of the prequel era Jedi on those who came before them, it does not change the fact that the Jedi ultimately failed. You also don't get to give credit to the prequel era Jedi for all the successes that came before them.